Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fire Nate Silver and bring back The Schwab :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nate Silvers gonna sit in an arm chair while an ESPN executive throws heaps of money at him from one side and Skip Bayless just yells incoherent gay slurs at him from the other side. This would be a 22 minute format show.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

The broken bones posted:

Writing a few articles on ESPN.com won't justify bringing him on board.

Yeah but I don't care about that part. If I get more Silver-ized sports articles, that's a win for me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Put a competent host with Silver and Barnwell and give them a show

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Peter King's MMQB has its own site now: http://mmqb.si.com/

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's debatable whether writing about baseball cards counts as Sports Journalism, but I don't care. Have Sam Eifling on The Rise and Fall of Upper Deck.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's debatable whether writing about baseball cards counts as Sports Journalism, but I don't care. Have Sam Eifling on The Rise and Fall of Upper Deck.

The book Card Sharks that's referenced there is a good read if you're into the collectibles industry. I just read it about a month ago.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Peter King is doing an AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1itqoc/i_am_peter_king_sports_illustrateds_senior_nfl/

It's going about as well as you'd expect

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Benne posted:

Peter King is doing an AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1itqoc/i_am_peter_king_sports_illustrateds_senior_nfl/

It's going about as well as you'd expect

What's the backstory to the "lofty" jose everyone is making?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dusseldorf posted:

What's the backstory to the "lofty" jose everyone is making?

One time he wrote "Good X. Lofty X." about something dumb and Kissing Suzy Kolber (in their weekly FJM-style takedown) made it into a meme. It's basically about how he (and other sportswriters) doesn't seem to have much sense of proportion regarding sports and sports players.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

jeffersonlives posted:

As I understand it he's basically going to build FiveThirtyEight as a news/politics oriented version Grantland

This sounds really interesting. CJR has a little more detail:

quote:

The ESPN incarnation of FiveThirtyEight won’t just focus on sports, but rather on data-driven reporting of all types, including the political coverage that brought the Times a massive amount of Web traffic during the 2012 election season.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

And that massive web traffic caused the more traditional journalists at the paper to think he was a negative influence on the culture at the New York Times. It was kind of funny. He used math and numbers instead of just barfing out words and speculation, so he was apparently some kind of threat.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 23, 2013

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

morestuff posted:

If anyone here hasn't read The Signal and the Noise, they should. I can't help but imagine that's pretty much what his work with ABC/ESPN is going to end up being. GET YO' BAYESIAN MODELS READY

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
:siren:Patrick Hruby Alert:siren:

He's got a podcast now

quote:

Here's what I can promise: the guests will be interesting. The conversation will be candid. The opinions will be informed. I won't offer hot "first takes" (ahem) -- but I will listen and try to learn something, so that you can, too. The show will never, ever, ever cover athletic legacy, power rankings, draft boards, quarterback eliteness or quien es mas macho, Kobe or LeBron? It will feature authors, experts, people like Victor Conte -- spoiler alert: coming soon! -- and in-the-know guests who are allergic to brain-dead talking points and shallow soundbites.

The first one is a discussion on the NFL concussion lawsuits.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

uublog posted:

:siren:Patrick Hruby Alert:siren:

He's got a podcast now

The first one is a discussion on the NFL concussion lawsuits.

I like some of Hruby's stuff, but that self-congratulatory sniping (and the endless rehashing of concussions as a go-to "serious" issue) kind of puts me off. More quality podcasts are always welcome, though, so I'll give it a shot.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bored and got to thinking about the broadcast rights with the recent announcement of NASCAR going to NBCSN.

Fox now has the Daytona 500, The Super Bowl, The UFC, The Big 10 Title game (plus half a network), The PAC 12 Title game, Presumably the PAC 12 Title game, The World Cup, and the World Series

NBCSN now has the "The race for the chase", Tour De France, Premier League soccer, Golf, Formula 1, Super Bowl, Olympics, Stanley Cup Finals, Notre Dame Football (cringes) and The Triple Crown

CBS has the Masters, Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, SEC title game.

ESPN/ABC has the College Football tournament, Indy 500 (which I believe could one day be on NBC), Wimbledon, and NBA Finals.

Is it just me or does it seem like FOX and NBCSN are possibly poised to be the new leaders in sports coverage very soon?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
At least half of the stuff on NBCSN you just listed is poo poo people don't care about.

And ESPN also has the NFL (which is the most popular sport but several thousand miles), tons of college football and basketball, regular season MLB and NBA, etc. They're not going anywhere.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 24, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

At least of the stuff on NBCSN you just listed is poo poo people don't care about.
It's poo poo that the general public doesn't care about, but it has a niche audience that stays loyal to the product.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Which is fine, but showing F1 and people riding bikes is not going to suddenly make them the new Worldwide Leader in Sports or whatever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Which is fine, but showing F1 and people riding bikes is not going to suddenly make them the new Worldwide Leader in Sports or whatever.
Just wait until NBCSN brings back Slamball. Then you'll be wrong.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Crazy Ted posted:

Just wait until NBCSN brings back Slamball. Then you'll be wrong.

Ugh, BASEketball or get the gently caress out, NBCSN

e: On the topic of ridiculously awesome sports I saw this on FSN one day a while back, so they win automatically

https://vimeo.com/59253029

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Every team should be required to have at least one fat kid in glasses, and hitting him in the face should be worth 20 points.

And how do you get to be a Professional Dodgeball Analyst? That is all I ever want to do in life.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I for one am happy that racing is getting moved to niche networks

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I think the best part about that dodgeball tourney was that it was played in a goddamn super-romper room covered in trampolines and padding, complete with players doing totally unnecessary and impromptu flips off the walls. It's seriously like an 8 year old plugged their brain into a virtual reality generator and the recording is what we see there.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

toadee posted:

I think the best part about that dodgeball tourney was that it was played in a goddamn super-romper room covered in trampolines and padding, complete with players doing totally unnecessary and impromptu flips off the walls. It's seriously like an 8 year old plugged their brain into a virtual reality generator and the recording is what we see there.

That's just nonsense. If they did that, there would be dinosaurs.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MourningView posted:

Every team should be required to have at least one fat kid in glasses, and hitting him in the face should be worth 20 points.

And how do you get to be a Professional Dodgeball Analyst? That is all I ever want to do in life.

Get Jon Gruden in there as an analyst.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
I don't think Fox and NBC will be the leaders, but I think the hierarchy will tighten up significantly now. ESPN and Fox are still 1-2, but closer, with NBC even closer behind Fox. CBS brings up the rear by a significant margin.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AceFace905 posted:

CBS brings up the rear by a significant margin.
CBS is too happy being the network that old people watch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AceFace905 posted:

I don't think Fox and NBC will be the leaders, but I think the hierarchy will tighten up significantly now. ESPN and Fox are still 1-2, but closer, with NBC even closer behind Fox. CBS brings up the rear by a significant margin.

NBC really isn't close to FOX at all. Unless they significantly gently caress up the launch, NBC won't be much of a threat to FOX.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

CBS is too happy being the network that old people watch.

Well CBS proper is the only network that people in general watch in any significant number, but I don't get the sense that they really care about their lovely cable sports network.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Well CBS proper is the only network that people in general watch in any significant number, but I don't get the sense that they really care about their lovely cable sports network.

They've also got NFL rights and the most popular CFB conference on their network. They're sitting pretty.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tom Ley has a nice profile at Deadspin on the recovery clinic that Diamond Dallas Page is running out of his house.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

morestuff posted:

Tom Ley has a nice profile at Deadspin on the recovery clinic that Diamond Dallas Page is running out of his house.
DDP should be canonized for what he did for Scott Hall and Jake Roberts.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

I'm not being a snarky rear end in a top hat here when I say I am truly amazed Scott Hall is still alive.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Moe_Rahn posted:

Wow, I haven't watched wrestling in over 20 years, so having that mental image of Jake Roberts and Scott Hall (he was Razor Ramon? neat) with what they look like now is pretty drat amazing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

toadee posted:

As someone who used to own a trampoline before those stupid walls were invented/mandated, I can assure you that dodgeball on a trampoline is the idealization of both sports. (Though we played it without teams, with two or three players on the outside of the trampoline trying to peg one or two people who were on it.)

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

NBC really isn't close to FOX at all. Unless they significantly gently caress up the launch, NBC won't be much of a threat to FOX.
I'm thinking long-term. Right now, NBC isn't close to Fox, who isn't close to ESPN. That will all tighten up in the next couple years I think, but you're right that Fox will be closer to ESPN than NBC will be to Fox--NBCSN has had more time to build up, but Fox has the better properties out of the gate for FS1.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just a reminder, this is the "if I had a vote" ballot that Keith Olbermann put out in 2009: http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2009/11/28/hall-of-famers-and-numbers-without-wings/

Excerpts:

quote:

Don Mattingly: Sigh, no. I wish. The back injury killed his chances – he dropped from superior to slightly-above-average. For competitive fire, diligence, class, yes. But we don’t do it that way.

Mark McGwire: Hall of Fame? For what? For pretending to Congress that nothing happened before that steroid hearing? Fine. You got your wish. Nothing happened. Your lifetime numbers are 0-0-.000. And by the way, why is it ok for him to just waltz back in as batting coach of the Cardinals? Would we let Bonds come back in? This is unacceptable, and it gives credence to the very disturbing claim that race is at play when it comes to the punishment of steroid cheats. Mark McGwire is a steroid cheater.

Jack Morris: Another beneficiary of a little perspective. I used to flinch at that 3.90 ERA. There seems very little doubt that Tom Glavine will go in on the first ballot at 3.54. I’m looking more at the 254 wins and the clutch performances. Aye.

Get ready for more of the same at ESPN.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
"I used to flinch at a 3.90 ERA. But a 3.54 ERA in a hitters' era is good enough. Therefore a 3.90 ERA is also good enough."

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 24, 2013