Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Preordered and sold. Skill resetting AND I can play as a kicking focused acrobatic character yes yes yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Additionally, some players were a little disgruntled by the fact that the Elf’s arrow shots are actually limited. To these players, Atlus says that there’s a skill called “Arrow Stock” which increases the maximum amounts of arrow she can carry. In addition, there’s another skill called “Dagger Option” that allows you to play her as a “Dagger Elf,” and another skill called “Enhance Boots” that allows her to use powerful kicking attacks.

Man, gamers will bitch about absolutely anything.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Every character is the best character and each new video makes it harder to choose. I wrote the dwarf and elf off initially and now they're what I want to play.

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, gamers will bitch about absolutely anything.

I can see it as a valid concern if you just watch a few videos. Hey, here's a cool character with a lot of cool bow attacks... but you can only do them 10 (or whatever) times in a level and then you're either screwed solo or dead weight in multi. I just made the assumption early on that there would be a way to specialize or otherwise mitigate the arrow limitation.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

_jink posted:

The animation looks that way because theyre warping 2d art without actually redrawing anything. It's a necessary budget compromise, because hand animation is absurdly time consuming in a way thats hard to even imagine if you've never been exposed to it

Budget compromises are one thing, but making the whole game unwatchable is another. It's a shame, because the core gameplay looks pretty fun.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

quote:

Furthermore, Atlus shares that there’s a little more challenge in the Labyrinth of Chaos, an automatically generated dungeon that appears upon beating the game, especially in Inferno Mode.
Does 'automatically generated' mean procedurally/randomly generated, because that's some frigging good poo poo if so...

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mailer posted:

Every character is the best character and each new video makes it harder to choose. I wrote the dwarf and elf off initially and now they're what I want to play.

I can see it as a valid concern if you just watch a few videos. Hey, here's a cool character with a lot of cool bow attacks... but you can only do them 10 (or whatever) times in a level and then you're either screwed solo or dead weight in multi. I just made the assumption early on that there would be a way to specialize or otherwise mitigate the arrow limitation.

Except this character has way cooler attacks that send her and the enemies flying all over the screen instead of just sitting still and charging up arrows to shoot from afar. So far every character appears to have many different options that make them entirely the opposite of deadweight in every sense of the word. It's like they are continuing the tradition of the Elf being objectively The Best Class Everrrrrrr (in a game where apparently everyone is capable of being The Best Class Everrrrrrr. Seriously that DWARF :allears:)

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Bovineicide posted:

Budget compromises are one thing, but making the whole game unwatchable is another. It's a shame, because the core gameplay looks pretty fun.

I dunno dude, if the videos of the game alone are making you motion sick, there's a decent chance it has something to do with your eyeball/brain configuration and not some animation voodoo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Did I misinterpret something or do they mean that if I join a friends game I don't get to bring my own personal character?

Edit: Ohhh, for co-op LOCAL play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PVP demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyhFY-uDXA

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Did I misinterpret something or do they mean that if I join a friends game I don't get to bring my own personal character?

You can't bring your own personal character to a local multiplayer game unless you're playing the Vita version. Online shouldn't be affected I'm guessing?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mailer posted:

In the demo I played at Evo the arrow count didn't even seem to matter because I was picking them up all of the drat time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Chumley posted:

In the demo I played at Evo the arrow count didn't even seem to matter because I was picking them up all of the drat time.

That seems to be the thing, it's a -limited- stopgate on the Elf spamming way too much ranged damage much in the way that the Sorceress or Wizard consume mana that can be replenished.

Policenaut posted:

You can't bring your own personal character to a local multiplayer game unless you're playing the Vita version. Online shouldn't be affected I'm guessing?

I read that as not being able to use your own characters' progress data. I'm wondering if character cross-save is going to be somehow locked to one PS3 console and one Vita only? The questions only pile up.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There are a bunch of Twitch streams going on right now.
http://twitch.tv/directory/game/Dragon%27s%20Crown

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gyoru posted:

There are a bunch of Twitch streams going on right now.
http://twitch.tv/directory/game/Dragon%27s%20Crown

Is it me or are all of them but one Chinese streamers?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
edit:nvm

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it me or are all of them but one Chinese streamers?

2/6 are Japanese. It must have broken street date in China, I guess.

My copy is on way, can't wait.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
That cooking minigame looks pretty intense. I didn't see how they were getting/storing ingredients, though. Were they just regular item drops? Is there limited bag space for them? Inventory space management was the biggest drag on Odin Sphere and I'm really hoping they learned their lesson.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

This game used to look very, very different.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

That cooking minigame looks pretty intense. I didn't see how they were getting/storing ingredients, though. Were they just regular item drops? Is there limited bag space for them? Inventory space management was the biggest drag on Odin Sphere and I'm really hoping they learned their lesson.

From what I can tell (from watching gameplay video), it looks like you don't even get to see what you've picked up until you finish the dungeon, and that it's all carried by your thief dude, so I'd be willing to be you don't have to stop to mess with inventory at all. Can't tell when the cooking minigame would come into play, though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

blat blat blat posted:

From what I can tell (from watching gameplay video), it looks like you don't even get to see what you've picked up until you finish the dungeon, and that it's all carried by your thief dude, so I'd be willing to be you don't have to stop to mess with inventory at all. Can't tell when the cooking minigame would come into play, though.

Between levels it looked like. There were piles of ingredients and like 5 or 6 different frying pans/pots/whatever to put them in and stir/flip/etc. It looked kind of involved.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wow. It's been in development that long? Kamitani has really been trying to make this game since '98? That's some dedication.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lotish posted:

Wow. It's been in development that long? Kamitani has really been trying to make this game since '98? That's some dedication.

There was an interview posted earlier in this thread, I'm just paraphrasing but basically whoever is behind this, wanted to make this game for ages. He put the team together and worked on various contracts to get money (some mmo?), and got enough respect to be able to propose this project and get it greenlighted. So they've worked on it for a normal amount of time, but it's been in some dude's mind for years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Crown

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Good Citizen posted:

Between levels it looked like. There were piles of ingredients and like 5 or 6 different frying pans/pots/whatever to put them in and stir/flip/etc. It looked kind of involved.

I don't think it had anything to do with items you gained in the stage at all. It's just a thing for minor bonuses every time. Also loot you gain during a stage you will never have to worry about until after everything when you decide on appraising/selling/keeping them.

redreader posted:

There was an interview posted earlier in this thread, I'm just paraphrasing but basically whoever is behind this, wanted to make this game for ages. He put the team together and worked on various contracts to get money (some mmo?)

The MMO in question is Fantasy Earth Zero. It got a one-year run in English but that was the end of it in localization. It's still played a good bit in Japan depsite having graphics and design akin to something one would see in very very early PS2 games. You can see Kamitani's attempts at 3D art design in it, there's a lot being done with very little to work with.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Some of these boss attacks look nearly impossible to dodge without a block skill. That wraith is just tearing these streaming dudes up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Those are way more Princess Crown than their modern style. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with the knight's middle-region though. It's like "Welp, got sensible armor. Everything's going gr... poo poo, I forgot my pants!"

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

blat blat blat posted:

I dunno dude, if the videos of the game alone are making you motion sick, there's a decent chance it has something to do with your eyeball/brain configuration and not some animation voodoo.

If you can look at the chimera or the dragon fights and not understand how that could give somebody a loving headache, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not even the only person in this thread who's saying that :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Those are way more Princess Crown than their modern style. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with the knight's middle-region though. It's like "Welp, got sensible armor. Everything's going gr... poo poo, I forgot my pants!"

Behold, the child of the Fighter and Amazon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Bovineicide posted:

If you can look at the chimera or the dragon fights and not understand how that could give somebody a loving headache, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not even the only person in this thread who's saying that :v:

You may have spotted some Tigtone sprite manipulation, yes, but you're imagining it applying too much to the entire game. If there's an important expression that would look better with new frames animated into it, they'll usually be there in Vanillaware games. You'll never see an cut where a guy's face is only one single frame smeared all over the place to make it look like he's talking his face is liquifying. The trailer had the opening with a lot of sprites moving around, but I didn't see more sprites being skewed than one would see in an SNES or 2D PS1 game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The trophy list is out, apparently PS3 and Vita share the same list so no doubling up for you. Some really neat ones here.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Has there been any announcement about possible future DLC?
I know about the narrator DLC but I'm wondering if I might miss out on something more substantial if I import the game from the US.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm watching a stream and there's a pretty blatant Monty Python reference. This game is weird.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There's an English subtitled stream going on now:

http://www.twitch.tv/mish11

Obviously, don't click if you don't want spoilers and all that jazz.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
I'm about 5 hours in on the Vita version, as an elf; my only beef with it so far is that it gets a little choppy when you have multiple spellcasters on screen simultaneously casting skills (in my case, a wizard + sorc in my party).

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

scissorman posted:

Has there been any announcement about possible future DLC?
I know about the narrator DLC but I'm wondering if I might miss out on something more substantial if I import the game from the US.

I'll say this-they'll get a sale from me if I can get a Kenshiro-looking and styled monk/martial artist in the game to use. I'd finally have a character whose fighting style AND appearance I really like at that point. Wonder if characters would be possible as DLC?

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

GlenQuagmire posted:

I'm about 5 hours in on the Vita version, as an elf; my only beef with it so far is that it gets a little choppy when you have multiple spellcasters on screen simultaneously casting skills (in my case, a wizard + sorc in my party).

Is it weird that this makes me happy? I feel like a game that's as much of a love letter to the classic arcade D&D games needs slowdown. I wish it was an unlockable thing to toggle on and off, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lotish posted:

Didn't they just put Princess Crown out on the Saturn in 1998? The designs aren't that shocking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDGlAbFyuk

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't they just put Princess Crown out on the Saturn in 1998? The designs aren't that shocking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDGlAbFyuk

I gotta say: even in 1998 Kamitani sure loved to put detail in his work. It's not the painterly stuff that began with Grim Grimoire, but he does some great stuff with how limbs and armor pieces move.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Azaael posted:

I'll say this-they'll get a sale from me if I can get a Kenshiro-looking and styled monk/martial artist in the game to use. I'd finally have a character whose fighting style AND appearance I really like at that point. Wonder if characters would be possible as DLC?

Dwarf punches and throws things and people, he goes barehanded for a set time after hammer smash. You can choose his red color scheme to give him a black beard and more orangish skin tone. Is he too short for you? :colbert:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

toasterwarrior posted:

I gotta say: even in 1998 Kamitani sure loved to put detail in his work. It's not the painterly stuff that began with Grim Grimoire, but he does some great stuff with how limbs and armor pieces move.

It seems his love of loading screens is also from 1998. I hope dragon's crown is fast loading...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Watching more streams and this game is beautiful and even the soundtrack is great :swoon: I'm seriously excited for a beat 'em up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Overbite posted:

Watching more streams and this game is beautiful and even the soundtrack is great :swoon: I'm seriously excited for a beat 'em up.

Not only that, but it looks like a good challenge too. Been watching streams and videos on Youtube of people that have beat the initial difficulty and are on hard mode. The beginning stage looks really easy, but the later dungeons look like they should offer a hell of a challenge. The randomized dungeon that you unlock after you complete the main story for a difficulty looks really good too.

The character building also looks awesome. Apparently there's enough variety in the skills you can pick up for each character class that two different characters of the same type can play with a fair amount of difference. Saw some dwarf last night that every time he slammed his hammers into the ground he called down several lightning bolts that did massive amounts of AoE damage.

• Locked thread