Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Phelous reviews ROBERT COP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/07/21/reviews-only-god-forgives-and-sharknado.aspx

drat Brad hated Only God Forgives

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Blame Rob, he's kinda hung up over pronouncing them the way they're spelled in glorious Nipponese, and he's probably bugging Doug to do it, too. Which is a shame, since pronouncing everybody's names wrong is one of the things the movie did that absolutely deserves to be lambasted for, but if Rob is mucking up the problem then it may end up being given a pass.

I don't know, Doug can't even remember a characters name half the time, let alone attempt to pronounce it. Outside influences or not, he's more or less marathoning the thing and he can't seem to remember main character names that get said several times an episode. It might be because he seems OCD about determining exactly which parts of each episode are filler and which aren't.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Benny the Snake posted:

You know with the new Wolverine movie coming out, I'd like to see either Infamous Sphere or Rantasmo do a Queer Theory look at Bryan Singer's filmography; specifically my personal favorite "The Usual Suspects". Sphere, would you be interested in doing something like that?

That's a very interesting suggestion, but I can't say I follow. I've seen The Usual Suspects, and I can't say I really had much to say about it. It could have just been the mood I was in, but there didn't seem to be much that grabbed me, and aside from a few gay comments the characters made to each other, it didn't seem like a film with much of a queer storyline or meaning. I'm not familiar with Bryan Singer's work, but from a quick googling it seems like he's most known for the X Men series, which I haven't seen. I know that mutants tend to be a metaphor for discrimination against the LGBT, but I don't tend to focus on genre flicks, and I tend to look more at things that explicitly LGBT, have stories that hinge on a pivotal LGBT moment/plot development, or are so ridiculously homoerotic that they deserve a mention (and even then, I haven't talked much about the purely homoerotic.) There's also plenty of material I reject even when it's technically or thematically relevant to what I do, simply because I don't really feel that there's much to talk about. (This is why I won't do a review on Behind the Candelabra, for instance.) Bryan Singer may be openly gay, but so is Roland Emmerich, and I can't really think of much I could possibly say about them. So the short answer is no, I appreciate your interest, but I can't really see any connection between what I review and the works of Bryan Singer and so I probably won't look at them. Rantasmo might be more likely to analyse mutants as a metaphor for homosexuality, but I'm not sure he's in this thread.

quote:

And while I'm here, I'd love to see Oancitizen review a Hispanic film. He's done all other cultures from French to Dutch and everything in between; it'd be good on him to focus on Latin America. I've heard that we've become huge in literature over the past decade and there's no shortage of films or directors to choose from ("Y Tu Mama Tambíen", "Pan's Labyrinth", etc.).

The Film Renegado specifically focuses on works from Latin America, so this might be why Oancitizen hasn't touched any of them. I think he did say something about the works of Jodorowsky though, so we might see a review on one of those.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

As much as I respect Brad as a reviewer, I get dismayed at his attitude towards arthouse films (esp. Malick), especially since his perspective leans toward "if you find value in the movie and figured out meanings to things that I just shouted that I 'didn't get,' that just means you're full of bullshit and you're being fooled." It's a very anti-intellectual tack to take, and he likes to throw around the idea that defenders of the movie are just trying to pretend they're smarter than he is. I mean, I agree that Only God Forgives was a slog to watch, but he's really watching the movie in the wrong way - I have no idea who's calling it "the worst movie I've ever seen" when the images at least are so beautiful, and in those comments it seems like he jumps down the throat of anyone who tries to defend the film.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hewlett posted:

As much as I respect Brad as a reviewer, I get dismayed at his attitude towards arthouse films (esp. Malick), especially since his perspective leans toward "if you find value in the movie and figured out meanings to things that I just shouted that I 'didn't get,' that just means you're full of bullshit and you're being fooled." It's a very anti-intellectual tack to take, and he likes to throw around the idea that defenders of the movie are just trying to pretend they're smarter than he is. I mean, I agree that Only God Forgives was a slog to watch, but he's really watching the movie in the wrong way - I have no idea who's calling it "the worst movie I've ever seen" when the images at least are so beautiful, and in those comments it seems like he jumps down the throat of anyone who tries to defend the film.

It's because he's an anti-intellectual nerd who uses his platform to assert the validity of his fairly basic nerd opinion, like 70% of the "internet critic" community.

Not to harsh on the thread but for every fun and insightful analysis iv'e seen on the internet there's like 5 dudes defensively flailing against the "elitism" of, you know, thinking about a movie.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Brad seems to be trying to wage some kind of stupid war against movie critics, defending his schlocky horror flicks against all who would speak ill of them, while aggressively attacking all artsy films that critics love.

As much as I love his show, there are some episodes of his I just can't watch because of how annoying he gets, laying a bunch of "sick burns" on "stuck up movie critics". :jerkbag:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 23, 2013

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

holy poo poo it's like a mosquito came by and sucked all the fluid and fat and muscle out of his body. somebody tell brad it's OK to stop getting thin and start lifting now!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

dijon du jour posted:

Brad seems to be trying to wage some kind of stupid war against movie critics, defending his schlocky horror flicks against all who would speak ill of them, while aggressively attacking all artsy films that critics love.

As much as I love his show, there are some episodes of his I just can't watch because of how annoying he gets, laying a bunch of "sick burns" on "stuck up movie critics". :jerkbag:
This is exactly why I stopped watching his stuff about a year ago, that and because every time he sees something he doesn't like, there's a four-month period where every single video he makes stops cold so he can make a "boy I sure do hate Tim and Eric/Terrance Malick/"The Dark Knight Rises"':smug: non-joke.

Also I got sick of hearing, "That was a bad movie because the actress didn't show her tits."

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Been catching up on Half in the Bag lately, lots of great stuff. It's hard to watch them because they're so drat good at it, it makes me feel bad about my production values. But definitely worth watching.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So how do you like Something Awful so far?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Miss Wallace posted:

Been catching up on Half in the Bag lately, lots of great stuff. It's hard to watch them because they're so drat good at it, it makes me feel bad about my production values. But definitely worth watching.

Personally I could care less about production values, as long as the content is strong.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Something Awful is great, I've been lurking for a long time. But I figured I might as well contribute now, ha ha.

ACS
Apr 30, 2009

Thunderfinger posted:

So how do you like Something Awful so far?

It's pretty loving awful, if you want the gods honest truth.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm just pumped that RLM has another Wheel of the Worst coming down the pipe, Best of the Worst (and especially the Wheel episode) has rapidly become my favorite thing they regularly produce.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

Your style's a lot simpler, but I find that fits your content really well. You don't need to go into skits like Phelous or Doug to get your stuff across (I mean no disrespect to either. It's just a difference in approach.)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Rich Evans loses his poo poo watching a strange Vincent Price video.

They really just need to do a series of "things that make Rich Evans laugh".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The way I used to watch GameGrumps was just kinda check on it every few days to see if the boys played something I was really interested in or I had already played, and considered myself a big fan. I just noticed today I've watched every single video they've made with Danny every day since he joined GameGrumps no matter what they are playing. That dude is funny as gently caress.

What's the consensus here on Steam Train- has it gotten any better?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DoombatINC posted:

I'm just pumped that RLM has another Wheel of the Worst coming down the pipe, Best of the Worst (and especially the Wheel episode) has rapidly become my favorite thing they regularly produce.

Agreed - I absolutely love Best of the Worst. The format is great, and the comedic interplay is wonderful. Wheel of the Worst is also brilliant - I just love the thought of people watching bizarre stuff and not knowing what the hell they're getting into. I like the Half in the Bag reviews, but sometimes they can be a bit long, particularly since they're a constructed interview format, without much in the way of supporting footage (which is great for copyright reasons, but not necessarily as visually interesting) so I like the Best of the Worst episodes the best. I've seen all of them, and can't wait for them to put out another Wheel one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I really like Half in the Bag, but sometimes they repeat their same criticisms about mainstream films (most recently the effects of globalization and 9/11 invoking footage, among other things). And this seems like a thing that is happening because they choose to only watch THOSE kinds of mainstream films. They use to throw in indie films, documentaries, and foreign movies from time to time and it helped diversify things. Heck, that end of the year recap of 2012 movies they didn't watch together had stuff I was much more interested in hearing them talk about than YET another bland mainstream film you know they are going to puke on.

But I really wouldn't care about this nitpick if they weren't so good at what they do.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2013

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

You know with the new Wolverine movie coming out, I'd like to see either Infamous Sphere or Rantasmo do a Queer Theory look at Bryan Singer's filmography

Well, you're in luck in part, because Rantasmo just covered Singer's Apt Pupil.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

What's the consensus here on Steam Train- has it gotten any better?

Not really. It has potential but they need to figure out how to make it work.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Arin and his girlfriend appear on a relationship advice show and get horribly beaten at MK9 by the host.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

miscellaneous14 posted:

Rich Evans loses his poo poo watching a strange Vincent Price video.

They really just need to do a series of "things that make Rich Evans laugh".

I just watched the Resident Evil episode of Half in the Bag and kept losing it every time he did.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Mokinokaro posted:

Not really. It has potential but they need to figure out how to make it work.

I think the problem is mainly with Ross, he just isn't being as entertaining as he needs to be. there's something about him that could be potentially really funny but it's not quite showing itself yet.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I suppose that in a matter of speaking, Sparky Sweets, PhD. would qualify: Thug Notes. The tagline sums him up best: Classic Literature. Original Gangster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nm61IoNdHg

Just starting in June, he's been updating consistently every Tuesday. Quality stuff through-and-through.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 24, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So that's the thread ended up at! Alright, usual reminder from me to anyone not look at Josh Hadley's writing specially his facebook if you don't want to pop a vein at its sheer vileness, and regarding JonTron and Egoraptor's separation on the GG, I hope this makes him improve now that he doesn't have Arin to ground him down and such.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Kunster posted:

So that's the thread ended up at! Alright, usual reminder from me to anyone not look at Josh Hadley's writing specially his facebook if you don't want to pop a vein at its sheer vileness, and regarding JonTron and Egoraptor's separation on the GG, I hope this makes him improve now that he doesn't have Arin to ground him down and such.

Heck, after a year and some change of Game Grumps, Jon has to be sitting on a pretty fat nest egg. He's happily plowing his new girlfriend and likely tearing his way across New York. I wouldn't expect anything new from him for awhile.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Huh, just watched NC's Anniversary video, Dragonbored. Surprisingly decent. Who else is lined up to do these?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Snob, MikeJ, Welshy, and The Sci-Fi Guy's came out today. Haven't watched them yet, I'm going to watch them all when the last one comes out.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I really wish these YouTube personality types would keep some things to themselves. It seems like every time I'd like to watch Two Best Friends again, Matt does something really creepy that totally puts me off the show.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

miscellaneous14 posted:

I really wish any and all internet celebrities would keep some things to themselves. It seems like every time I'd like to watch Two Best Friends again, Matt does something really creepy that totally puts me off the show.

I fixed that to make it even more true than it already was.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Honestly, It's a bit unfair to compare anyone's production values to RLM. They are basically a indy production studio at this point.

Edit: Just finished watching Dragonbored. I liked it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 25, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

I really wish these YouTube personality types would keep some things to themselves. It seems like every time I'd like to watch Two Best Friends again, Matt does something really creepy that totally puts me off the show.
I have heard the words "Hitomi J-Cup" said out loud multiple times by that man.

He is a bad, bad man.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno, isn't the point of Matt's character that he's a sad loser who pervs on girls because that's the closest he gets to sex? I mean every time he says something dumb and gross Pat screams at him to stop being pathetic, I always found that funny.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I dunno, isn't the point of Matt's character that he's a sad loser who pervs on girls because that's the closest he gets to sex? I mean every time he says something dumb and gross Pat screams at him to stop being pathetic, I always found that funny.
Matt, Pat, Woolie and Liam don't actually play characters, though? They're as-is.

Edit: Hmm, better not delve further than this, I think there was a thread-specific agreement to avoid dumb arguments about these things.

quakster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 25, 2013

CanceledTVShow
Mar 29, 2013
I just watched Cinema Snob's anniversary video The Reviewers and I think Brad and Co have become a little too obsessed with the negativity from their fanbase. I've noticed that a lot of the midnight screening videos have been going in that direction as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They've been like that for years tho. Brad and co. will attach themselves to some complaint and drain it until it becomes a salt mummy which when Hadley consumes, hoping to contain whatever bile inside him for a few extra weeks without turning Springfield, XXXX into some sort of Ground Zero, with the survivors uttering about Coal Black being a national treasure and how 21 JumpStreet is the most sensible presentation of human society ever.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 25, 2013

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Todd's just put up another One Hit Wonderland, this time covering "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers. Todd's rushed editing still seems to be a thing, but otherwise I loved it. I hadn't a clue about The Proclaimers before and going through their stuff now I think I've fallen in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
The information in Todd's One Hit Wonderland videos is always fantastic and well researched, and they're always interesting and entertaining - but yeah, the recent two..the audio mix has been *weird* - as if he forgot to turn down the volume of the song when he was talking over it. It's just a bit bizarre, because that's typically something you do when you're starting out as a reviewer, not something you start doing later on. I can only assume he thought he'd done it, but hadn't, or for some reason turning the volume down didn't work. Just seems odd.

• Locked thread