Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

quote:

I am finishing the OP and hopefully it's going to be ready tonight

Isorta stole yr thunder and posted one yesterday, it's already on the 2nd page ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I thought 'Vampire on Titus' was excellent, and though lo-fi I really liked the sound, especially on songs like 'Dusted' which the drums especially sound perfect on. Didn't really have any problem getting into it, some of it reminded me of early Ween or Sebadoh which I'm a sucker for anyway.

Time to finally dig into the other albums, will use the OP for that, thanks Twee!

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

shmee posted:

I thought 'Vampire on Titus' was excellent, and though lo-fi I really liked the sound, especially on songs like 'Dusted' which the drums especially sound perfect on. Didn't really have any problem getting into it, some of it reminded me of early Ween or Sebadoh which I'm a sucker for anyway.

Time to finally dig into the other albums, will use the OP for that, thanks Twee!

What have you listened to so far?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

PopZeus posted:

What have you listened to so far?

I actually have 'Human Amusements at Hourly Rates', 'Vampire on Titus' and 'Let's Go Eat the Factory'. Fairly certain I listened to 'Bee Thousand' and probably some other stuff in my younger days, though those ones not for some time. When I was a lo-fi loving youngster with my Urusei Yatsura vinyl collection (still got it!) I remember Guided by Voices being something in rotation when hanging out with mates.

As I like Tobin's stuff ("Wavves" was my favourite thing off LGEtF) and enjoyed the sound of this album, was going to go one back to 'Propeller', but also get 'Alien Lanes' as I should probably get something which my wife will also enjoy (and she already likes 'Game of Pricks' so we're off to a running start). Edit: another decider will probably be if they have anything used in Disk Union. From the sounds of it, GbV vinyl is expensive enough that I shouldn't be banking on finding anything cheap though.

All this lo-fi talk makes me think, is there a thread about it? I met Jad Fair on Saturday and instantly went back to my Half Japanese albums. He's a lovely guy.

shmee fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 21, 2013

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

shmee posted:

I actually have 'Human Amusements at Hourly Rates', 'Vampire on Titus' and 'Let's Go Eat the Factory'. Fairly certain I listened to 'Bee Thousand' and probably some other stuff in my younger days, though those ones not for some time. When I was a lo-fi loving youngster with my Urusei Yatsura vinyl collection (still got it!) I remember Guided by Voices being something in rotation when hanging out with mates.

As I like Tobin's stuff ("Wavves" was my favourite thing off LGEtF) and enjoyed the sound of this album, was going to go one back to 'Propeller', but also get 'Alien Lanes' as I should probably get something which my wife will also enjoy (and she already likes 'Game of Pricks' so we're off to a running start).

All this lo-fi talk makes me think, is there a thread about it? I met Jad Fair on Saturday and instantly went back to my Half Japanese albums. He's a lovely guy.

Oh nice! You have a ton of great stuff to delve into. I'd recommend checking out any number of these next if you wanna stick to lower-fi "classic" era:

Propeller
Alien Lanes (arguably the best GBV record in my opinion)
go listen to Bee Thousand again (arguably the other best GBV record)
Not in My Airforce (Pollard solo)
Fast Japanese Spin Cycle EP

If you like Toby stuff, Tonics and Twisted Chasers is pretty much all Tobin and Bob collaborations while still under the GBV name.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

PopZeus posted:

Oh nice! You have a ton of great stuff to delve into. I'd recommend checking out any number of these next if you wanna stick to lower-fi "classic" era:

Propeller
Alien Lanes (arguably the best GBV record in my opinion)
go listen to Bee Thousand again (arguably the other best GBV record)
Not in My Airforce (Pollard solo)
Fast Japanese Spin Cycle EP

If you like Toby stuff, Tonics and Twisted Chasers is pretty much all Tobin and Bob collaborations while still under the GBV name.

Many thanks for that, I'll start there then. Looking forward to it, it's been a while since I really got lost in an band's back catalogue.

The 'Alien Lanes' 12" is available on amazon.co.jp for about the money they owe me from returning something so can get that one, the others are prohibitively expensive so will get them from 7digital.com or something. I haven't a CD player (that works) so just buy vinyl or mp3s.

Tangentially related, but there's a subtle joke in 'The I.T. Crowd':

Jen: "Have you heard Guided by Voices? They're a band."
Interviewer: "No."
Jen: "I have. I've heard everything they've ever done. They're good. I'm a bit of a fan now."

Graham Linehan is a fan, he's brought them up in interviews in the past. I think that might be how I first heard them, after looking them up when he mentioned them around the 'Father Ted' time.

He also posted this link in his blog some years ago under the title of "The Guided By Voices Fans Will Understand":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGu5v9_UH78

Edit: oh and the other gateway drug into GbV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esd8n6awI3w

shmee fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 21, 2013

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
So if anybody is having trouble listening to Robert's solo stuff, might I suggest Elephant Jokes. It's an absolutely fantastic album. It's 22 tracks, about 40 minutes, epic and hilarious. It's up there as one of my favorite albums from him. I listened to it 5 times yesterday, and another time this morning.

Boston Spaceships is pretty great as well. Zero to 99 is what I'm listening to right now. You Satisfy Me, Two Girl Area, Ready to Pop, Canned Food Demons, Tattoo Mission, How Wrong You Are, Exploding Anthills. It's all good to great.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Glug_Glug posted:

So if anybody is having trouble listening to Robert's solo stuff, might I suggest Elephant Jokes. It's an absolutely fantastic album. It's 22 tracks, about 40 minutes, epic and hilarious. It's up there as one of my favorite albums from him. I listened to it 5 times yesterday, and another time this morning.

Boston Spaceships is pretty great as well. Zero to 99 is what I'm listening to right now. You Satisfy Me, Two Girl Area, Ready to Pop, Canned Food Demons, Tattoo Mission, How Wrong You Are, Exploding Anthills. It's all good to great.
Elephant Jokes is indeed great - of course I dug it out and listened to it a few times over a few days and now it's completely taken over my head - which is exactly what happens with every Pollard album I guess. Last week it was Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department which was understandable because of tracks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWWbQ6PI6Ng

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Myron Baloney posted:

Elephant Jokes is indeed great - of course I dug it out and listened to it a few times over a few days and now it's completely taken over my head - which is exactly what happens with every Pollard album I guess. Last week it was Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department which was understandable because of tracks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWWbQ6PI6Ng

Slick as Snails is indeed one of my all-time favorites.

Anyone listened to the new releases yet?

Teenage Guitar
has been kicking around my brain a bit the last week. Atlantic Cod is a lo-fi pop gem that's been stuck in my head on repeat. Overall, it's got its rougher moments, but I suppose that's part of the charm if you're the type of fan to listen to Teenage Guitar in the first place.

Honey Locust Honky Tonk
has been getting great reviews from various sites. It always baffles me to see what album critics will gravitate to, because this feels like a solid 4-star record to me. Ah well, trying to understand the whims of music critics is a fool's errand.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I was really into Pollard/GBV for a long time (another DTS board alumni) but fell off in 2006. This thread has inspired me to start catching up a bit - to the extent that that would even be possible. It's crazy to look at that Alpha/Omega doc, scroll to the last album I bought (Normal Happiness) and see that it's less than halfway down the list :eyepop: (edit: nevermind, there's just a lot of empty space at the bottom. I only have 61 releases to go...). I'll have to hit up the record store this weekend. I also never got to see the reunion lineup and every time I saw them I was underage and/or had to drive 2 hours back to college after the show, so I may hold the record for going to the most GBV shows sober with 5. I never snagged a setlist, but I do still have the lyric sheet Bob was reading from when Portastatic opened for them and he came out to do a Go Back Snowball song.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 24, 2013

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

The Bunk posted:

I was really into Pollard/GBV for a long time (another DTS board alumni) but fell off in 2006. This thread has inspired me to start catching up a bit - to the extent that that would even be possible. It's crazy to look at that Alpha/Omega doc, scroll to the last album I bought (Normal Happiness) and see that it's less than halfway down the list :eyepop: (edit: nevermind, there's just a lot of empty space at the bottom. I only have 61 releases to go...). I'll have to hit up the record store this weekend. I also never got to see the reunion lineup and every time I saw them I was underage and/or had to drive 2 hours back to college after the show, so I may hold the record for going to the most GBV shows sober with 5. I never snagged a setlist, but I do still have the lyric sheet Bob was reading from when Portastatic opened for them and he came out to do a Go Back Snowball song.

Wow, you've got a ton of solo releases, Circus Devils, side projects, and a GBV reunion to listen to! :dance:

At the very least, check out the Boston Spaceships' stuff, I'd say it's his consistently highest quality project/band (including GBV (!!!)).

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

PopZeus posted:

Slick as Snails is indeed one of my all-time favorites.

Anyone listened to the new releases yet?

Teenage Guitar
has been kicking around my brain a bit the last week. Atlantic Cod is a lo-fi pop gem that's been stuck in my head on repeat. Overall, it's got its rougher moments, but I suppose that's part of the charm if you're the type of fan to listen to Teenage Guitar in the first place.

Honey Locust Honky Tonk
has been getting great reviews from various sites. It always baffles me to see what album critics will gravitate to, because this feels like a solid 4-star record to me. Ah well, trying to understand the whims of music critics is a fool's errand.

Oh the gently caress I literally can't keep up here. Lots of lovely record reviewers have tried to take Pollard down a peg and fawned on him at other times, I guess they must have got laughed at at some point for expressing consistent enthusiasm for something and now they're really careful to temper their praise.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I've been listening to Earthquake Glue recently, and I'm extremely impressed. It's fantastic! In addition, I've been giving Honey Locust Honky Tonk and The Bears for Lunch a couple listens. Really good stuff on those two records. I'm overdoing it though. I had a dream that I was watching a GBV documentary. All of the facts were wrong but I'm just sitting there watching, nodding my head. Real fun losing my mind!

walking around
Jul 29, 2013
Great topic to see while drinking tonight, it reminded me to check out the rest of (realistically speaking, more of) the Pollard catalog. I'm currently on Vampire on Titus since I've never heard it outside of a social setting (i.e. putting it on repeat at a college radio station and going outside to smoke/drink) and it's really great stuff. Unfortunately, there's no gin here, so beer it is. I'll probably move on to some particularly recent/80s material, or might get out my copy of Bee Thousand Director's Cut next. I remember being pissed when I bought it that I didn't get the "real album" but I'm incredibly happy about that mistake now.

Also, I'm being reminded of the time I missed seeing them in Cleveland last year when I was in town, and considerably less happy about that mistake.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've been listening to Earthquake Glue recently, and I'm extremely impressed. It's fantastic! In addition, I've been giving Honey Locust Honky Tonk and The Bears for Lunch a couple listens. Really good stuff on those two records. I'm overdoing it though. I had a dream that I was watching a GBV documentary. All of the facts were wrong but I'm just sitting there watching, nodding my head. Real fun losing my mind!

Now you can go watch "The Devil Went home and Puked" on YouTube or find a copy of "Watch Me Jumpstart" and your dreams can come true!

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Does anyone here like the post-classic albums?

For the life of me, I can't see what's so fantastic about their lo-fi era. Sure they had some great songs occasionally, and plenty of interesting musical snippets, but on the whole, anything before Mag Earwhig just plain old isn't as good.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

For the life of me, I can't see what's so fantastic about their lo-fi era. Sure they had some great songs occasionally, and plenty of interesting musical snippets, but on the whole, anything before Mag Earwhig just plain old isn't as good.

I love the post-classic albums. I love at least something of just about any project the man's somehow managed to keep putting out.

But I gotta say, Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are just the best drat albums I've heard. You'll have to be more specific as to why they're not as good in your eyes. It's really unlike anything I've ever encountered. It's so weird and heartfelt and amazingly catchy and it just feels like you're in this secret alternate universe with elf kickers and ex-supermodels and little whirls and poo poo yeah it's cool.

I mean, (I Wanna Be A) Dumbcharger --> Game of Pricks should justify the entire classic era right there :)

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

PopZeus posted:

I love the post-classic albums. I love at least something of just about any project the man's somehow managed to keep putting out.

But I gotta say, Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are just the best drat albums I've heard. You'll have to be more specific as to why they're not as good in your eyes. It's really unlike anything I've ever encountered. It's so weird and heartfelt and amazingly catchy and it just feels like you're in this secret alternate universe with elf kickers and ex-supermodels and little whirls and poo poo yeah it's cool.

I mean, (I Wanna Be A) Dumbcharger --> Game of Pricks should justify the entire classic era right there :)

It's not really the lo-fi aspect (I'm a big fan of early Mountain Goats). It's that I prefer the longer songs with that vaguely psychedelic sound that seemed to catch Bob's fancy after "Under the Bushes...".

But poo poo yeah, it IS cool.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

I adore the classic albums, but Earthquake Glue, Isolation Drills, and Half-Smiles of the Decomposed are really impressing me recently. But they're different, for sure.

Still, I would say that Bee Thousand is a contender for my favorite album of all time. It's absolutely in the top ten. Every song on it, to me, is fantastic in its own way. It's this beautiful collage that feels like it happened by accident, and honestly, it probably did.

Also, on a tangent, Honey Locust Honky Tonk is loving great. Where else should I look in Bob's solo career for the good stuff? He's spottier than the band, from the looks of it.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

UnoriginalMind posted:

I adore the classic albums, but Earthquake Glue, Isolation Drills, and Half-Smiles of the Decomposed are really impressing me recently. But they're different, for sure.

Still, I would say that Bee Thousand is a contender for my favorite album of all time. It's absolutely in the top ten. Every song on it, to me, is fantastic in its own way. It's this beautiful collage that feels like it happened by accident, and honestly, it probably did.

Also, on a tangent, Honey Locust Honky Tonk is loving great. Where else should I look in Bob's solo career for the good stuff? He's spottier than the band, from the looks of it.

Honey Locust is indeed great. Apparently most of the songs on it were originally GBV songs. I think I might like it even more then English Little League, which is also fantastic. Airs is my song of the year so far, I think.

I disagree that recent stuff is more spotty, everyone says that and I just don't see it. That being said, From a Compound Eye, Elephant Jokes, and Lord of The Birdcage are some of my favorite solo albums.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

UnoriginalMind posted:

My favorites are Normal Happiness, Coast to Coast Carpet of Love, and the Silverfish Trivia EP. There are still a whole bunch of good songs on ...Is Off to Business ("No One But I", "To the Path!"), and The Crawling Distance ("Cave Zone", "It's Easy", "No Island"), too

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I picked up a copy of 'Mouseman Cloud' recently as it was $5 for new on vinyl, and I really like it. Especially like the production and the drum sound (both are presumably Todd Tobias?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhOPoCuc9k

However that's all I've listened to of his solo stuff so make of that what you will.

I've been working through various stages of GbV but the first song I heard by them is still one of my very favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwIODCzvbs

I also liked the cover versions album. Surprised Lou Barlow is on there, isn't Robert Pollard quite down on Sebadoh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edz24QLXCO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sevfsTLxpM

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Favorite Pollard solo albums are (in some made up categories):

The Juggernauts:

Not in My Airforce
From a Compound Eye

Extremely Pollard-y and Goofy at Times:
Elephant Jokes
Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Dept. (Slick as Snails is the best song ever)
We All Got Out of the Army

Creamy Versions:

Coast to Coast Carpet of Love
Lord of the Birdcage

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Ha, wow. Everyone's got different suggestions. I guess I'll look through them as I can. How's English Little League by the way? I really liked The Bears for Lunch and I'm hoping its indicative of a trend. I thought it was the best of the three albums that they released that year (lol gbv). "You Can Fly Anything Right" is such a wistful song, for some reason. Really hits me.

Also, Slick as Snails is loving sick. I've got to get "Speak Kindly..." I wonder what it's like to listen to other musicians. What a madcap adventure that must be.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
New GBV next February(And more)!

Stereogum posted:

Robert Pollard completists, prepare to update your spreadsheets and add a new display case to your “Uncle Bob” room. In keeping with his prolific rep, the Guided By Voices frontman will (flying) kick out six new releases under his various guises between now and February, culminating in a new GBV album early next year.

Deep breath… OK! First comes a 7-inch under Pollard’s own name called “Tonight’s The Rodeo” on 10/15 via GBV Inc. Then, on 10/29, Happy Jack Rock Records will release a pair of full-lengths from Circus Devils, Pollard’s experimental project with brothers Todd and Tim Tobias; those are called When Machines Attack and My Mind Has Seen The White Trick, and both will be available on vinyl and CD. Another Pollard 7-inch called “Return Of The Drums” arrives 11/26 on GBV Inc., followed by a Pollard CD/LP called Blazing Gentlemen coming 12/10 through Fire Records and GBV Inc. Then, in late February, the next Guided By Voices CD/LP Motivational Jumpsuit arrives via Fire and GBV Inc

New solo song and Circus Devil song at the link. Also, Cover Art for everything! The Blazing Gentlemen Cover is just amazing, and so is the song. It kinda sounds it would come from Mouseman Cloud at the beginning and then suddenly goes in another direction for the chorus.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Fun fact about the Circus Devils album My Mind Has Seen The White Trick: In an inversion of the traditional Circus Devils writing structure (Tobias sends instrumentals to Pollard, who does vocals next), Pollard sang the vocals first, and Todd had to write the instrumental parts around them!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

PopZeus posted:

Fun fact about the Circus Devils album My Mind Has Seen The White Trick: In an inversion of the traditional Circus Devils writing structure (Tobias sends instrumentals to Pollard, who does vocals next), Pollard sang the vocals first, and Todd had to write the instrumental parts around them!

Fun fact: The new Circus Devils albums are awesome. When Machines Attack is my favorite of the two so far; the entire second half is an absolute masterpiece, and the rest is no slouch either.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

The new Pollard album, Blazing Gentlemen, can be streamed in its entirety at Spin.com: http://www.spin.com/articles/robert-pollard-blazing-gentlemen-album-stream-gbv/

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
5 singles are now up on Rockathon Records for the new GBV record, Motivational Jumpsuit.

Ordered mine, super excited.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Glug_Glug posted:

5 singles are now up on Rockathon Records for the new GBV record, Motivational Jumpsuit.

Ordered mine, super excited.

Are the B-sides from the album or are they unique to the single?

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

PopZeus posted:

Are the B-sides from the album or are they unique to the single?

Planet Score and The Littlest League Possible are double A-Sides. The other 3 have B-Sides, for a total of 5 B-Sides. One of them is A Sunflower Logic outtake. Second Chance is a Tobin Sprout B-Side.

Oh yeah, they are in the studio right now to record Cool Planet, their Sixth reunion record, due for a mid-May release. Kevin March returns as the drummer for GBV for the first time since Half Smiles.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Glug_Glug posted:

Kevin March returns as the drummer for GBV for the first time since Half Smiles.

Presumably because their previous drummer Kevin Fennell got fired for trying to sell his drumkit for $55,000

http://www.stereogum.com/1536831/guided-by-voices-feud-with-ebaying-ex-drummer-gets-ugly/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I hadn't seen those emails. If Kevin Fennell really turned down two full-time jobs because he was playing drums for Bob/GBV he may be the dumbest man alive.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
on a lighter note...

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
So the new video for "Planet Score" is out, featuring Badger from Breaking Bad, Nate and Rob Corddry, and a huge Hot Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KJrdiZNHw

Motivational Jumpsuits comes out in 4 days.

As for the song itself, I thought it was ok, it's a pretty good single but I feel like it's a middle of the pack one. I don't think they've had a post-reformation single as good as "Class Clown Spots a U.F.O.", and this one definitely doesn't measure up, but it's alright.

New GbV/Pollard material is always a great thing (that comes out every three months like clockwork)

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

"Planet Score" has lodged itself in my head nonetheless, but "Vote For Me Dummy" and "Alex And The Omegas" are my favorites of the new singles.

The whole album is streamable from the New York Times' "Press Play" page, btw: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/arts/music/pressplay.html?state=-1&_r=0

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Under the Bushes Under the Stars is so fucken great.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Under the Bushes Under the Stars is so fucken great.

It's like, soul man!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I have Vampire on Titus, Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Under the Bushes...and Earthquake Glue. Bee Thousand and then Under the Bushes are my favourites, is there anything else I should definitely listen to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Listen to Propeller already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfH9-MgouFs

• Locked thread