Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Please don't bring up goddamn Kim. Nobody cares about Kim except huge whiny annoying nerds. (not targeted at you)

Huh, I didn't realise Kim was a ... thing. Ugh :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Oh I"m soooo sorry but yeah, each convention these guys get interviewed at, nerds keep asking the same goddamn thing about her. Hence in Season 4's finale, Triana basically tells why Kim ain't around and I think that was the creators way of saying shut up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You masturbate enough.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

It is similar to how Season 4 worked: 8 episodes, then a long break before any more come out. Only this time, they're just going to call the next block Season 6.

Only we really have 9 because the Halloween episode was supposed to be in the season order but they pulled it out to run early. Also unlike the first half of season 4 where it was just 8 half-hour eps, the first ep was in fact an hour long. So there's that, it all adds up to 10 episodes of content.

Pretty sure Publick even said on his blog that they wanted to do 2 10-episode seasons (the halloween special and extra long premiere shortened season 5) so they could keep the quality higher AND have a shorter gap between seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I guess it would depend on where a lot of time is spent. I mean if it genuinely takes them two years to bust out thirteen (or ten, now) scripts, then no, I wouldn't want AS to hire additional writers. But if throwing more money at animation meant going from two years to one year with approximately the same visual quality then hell yes I am all for it.

If the script-writing is the bottleneck for the production process, then hell yeah they should hire some more writers. I think the Scooby Doo episode is the only one not written by Doc or McCollough, and it was pretty good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was also Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Maybe the deflated feeling that the season finale left us with was intentional? I've always thought that a big part of the show was to humanize the most ludicrous of people, globetrotting super-scientists and villainous lunatics alike. And there's not much more identifiable than the sobering realization that something you've poured a majority of your life into is not going to have the payout you were looking for. Absurd and explosive things happen to the cast all the time, and they react, not necessarily with complete ambivalence, but with the kind of attitude someone gets when their dog has to go to the vet for the third time this year. It's a stressor, one that isn't unique, but doesn't happen frequently enough to completely desensitize you.

This is basically what I took away from the Season Finale as well, and to a lesser extent, the season as a whole. I liked watching the cast's coping mechanisms more or less fail or be buoyed up by lies at every turn so they just roll with the punches. Without getting into the retread of "Theme is failure", I liked that when The Monarch finally has Rusty and can do whatever he wants with him, so he just kind of half-asses it and eventually lets him go. I took his "I crushed his mental spirit" speech at the end as less his overarching goal and more as The Monarch always looks on the bright side of how he "succeeded". While I would of liked more of Orpheus and more resolution with 24, I really enjoyed the season. The biggest shame is that there is not more of it, but it is good to know that more is coming.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think the real question we all have is: What sort of funny new punny name will the Moppets get if they've been outed as traitors and have to go work full-time for the Revenge Society/Phantom Limb.

Maybe Limb will demand their new codenames while working for him be something like the 'Little Piggies' or something.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RandomPauI posted:

Which is still a perfectly good episode and even if it wasn't I'd be glad to trade 1 poor episode a season for trimming 6 months off the production time.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Say what you want about Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner but the bits with Abe are just solid gold.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Flython posted:

Say what you want about Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner but the bits with Abe are just solid gold.

I know, those part are hilarious. I only recently realized that some people don't like that episode.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

I know, those part are hilarious. I only recently realized that some people don't like that episode.

For me it's because Bud is just a really boring character. The whole episode is about him and it's just blah. There were a few good jokes. JOHNNY DEEPER! Ghost Abe. Those were funny. But Bud was just blah. Also nothing went with Houser so there was that too.

Out of all characters, Bug Armstrong is just the weakest. I used to think that was Baron Underbiet (he has gotten better! put those pitchforks down!) was sort of the weakest link out of all the great characters in VB but it's Bud.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Shindragon posted:

For me it's because Bud is just a really boring character. The whole episode is about him and it's just blah. There were a few good jokes. JOHNNY DEEPER! Ghost Abe. Those were funny. But Bud was just blah. Also nothing went with Houser so there was that too.

Out of all characters, Bug Armstrong is just the weakest. I used to think that was Baron Underbiet (he has gotten better! put those pitchforks down!) was sort of the weakest link out of all the great characters in VB but it's Bud.

Bud Armstrong you listen to your mother.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Shindragon posted:

I like him conceptually, an astronaut who just loving sucks at being an adult but still has that weird pie-eyed optimism from Jonas' era. That episode just didn't have many jokes along that plot string, Bud just sort of reluctantly does whatever trapped in a room while an episode of The Venture Bros. occurs around him. Even the masturbation joke at the end was all Abe.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Even the masturbation joke at the end was all Abe.

Hey, that 2001 reference is pretty funny on its own. :colbert:

But yeah, even as someone who likes the episode, Bud is definitely a really weak link in it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I'm glad the secret service agent from that episode didn't become a recurring character. Really I'm glad none of the introduced characters in that episode became regulars, well except ghost Abe Lincoln would be a pretty good random cameo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Maybe he got his wings!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just caught up with the last 3 episodes last night and caught a reference I haven't thought about in ages.

When Hank answers the phone when their "mom" calls, he answers it "Bula Vinaka Beachside"
which is from this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13wtKvEYrw

Edit: Was beaten. Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembered it though.

Wow that's a deep cut. Never understood what the guy said.

(MST3K also references it in Pod People- Servo says it in a muffled voice when someone picks up a phone.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RandomPauI posted:

Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner has a story by credit for Ben Edlund, but Jackson is the sole credit for the actual script. Careers in Science and ¡Viva los Muertos! are the only two episodes to be written by a third party - Careers in Science only in part - and both were from Edlund. I'm sure if they could find another writing talent they trusted as much as the creator of The Tick to handle their universe well, they would have done so by now.

Again, the show really is just Jackson and Doc. Aside from the single Edlund penned episode, they've been the only writers and directors for every episode of the series, and that laser focus is what makes each installment so strong.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe he got his wings!

I like to think he's just a guardian ghost of the white house, transcending fictional universes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCib1du-bQ

Also, looking forward to season 2 of Black Dynamite.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait did they say they were going for another?

Please don't be KIDDING.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

SOOOOOOEY!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/adult-swims-black-dynamite-renewed-for-second-season/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/20/adult-swim-picks-up-black-dynamite-for-a-second-season

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I just got to thinking about the theory that Brainulo is Billy's dad and if Jonas trapped him in past like he claims, he might have returned to the future before ever getting Rose pregnant. All this hinges on that theory being real, but it sort of creates a butterfly effect of how something relatively minor on Jonas' part ended up creating a tornado of trouble down the road.

I mean, Billy's existence seems to have had quite an influential hand in the history of the show: Caused Limb's experiment to fail, which in turn caused him to turn to villainy, Guild takeover attempts, Revenge Society creation, several dead GCI members at his orders/hands, etc.

Of course, all that hinges on Brainulo being Billy's dad.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I like to think he's just a guardian ghost of the white house, transcending fictional universes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCib1du-bQ

Also, looking forward to season 2 of Black Dynamite.

Is that suppose to be Nixon?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I just re-watched the final episode, and it just kind of reaffirmed the feeling that I had earlier. This, to me, isn't a finale, it's just a normal episode.

Where I think this thread is kind of getting hung up on is that more than any other show, Venture Brothers appeals to different people in different ways. Doc and Jackson even mentioned it on that podcast linked a little while ago; for every person that likes it someone else hates it. Some people love the references, some people love the themes, and there are many many more reasons why someone could watch it.

I personally thought that the Spanakopita episode was one of the weakest, though others thought it was the best yet, or at least, one of the better ones. That's fine though, I'm happy to like the show in a different way and also discuss it that way too. Stop jumping on each other due to difference in opinion. This especially goes out to anyone telling people "this might not be a show for you." If someone is watching Season 6 of this really niche, maybe even cult show, then they probably know that it's a show for them.

I think perhaps one thing that can be agreed on by all is that even the perceived weak episodes still have their moments. Even though I found this last episode somewhat weak as a finale (unless you are looking at it as a bridge between Season 5 and 6), I still loved a lot of the moments. The Monarch's attitude and execution of his tortures were amazing, as was Hank's pre-rehearsed speech. Colonel Gentleman was still being equal parts badass and slightly weird, as well as Vatred and Gary being really adorable together. Even Spanakopita, an episode I wasn't keen on had some shining moments, and the theme of the episode itself was very good, very Venture Brothers, the execution just fell flat for me. So I will continue to watch Venture Brothers, and more than likely continue to love it. I just hope we can discuss it without jumping at each others' throats over difference in opinion.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Intrepid00 posted:

Is that suppose to be Nixon?

Yes, yes it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGAHvGFqD6w

If you haven't seen Black Dynamite the movie and/or the TV show, I highly recommend it honkey.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I just wanted to watch the transition from regular person to Guild member. :(

They haven't referenced it since...the Christmas special I think, but one of those odd things I'd love to see crop up again is that the X-1 has nuclear engines.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 25, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's obvious there's a split amongst people here when it comes to our feelings on this season. I have a theory that it chines down to whether you tend to lean more towards Doc Hammer episodes or Jackson Publick episodes. If y'all would indulge me, I'd like to get a sense for if those really correlate in an informal poll. Me?

Writer: Hammer
[b]Opinion:[b/] Mediocre season

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I just got to thinking about the theory that Brainulo is Billy's dad and if Jonas trapped him in past like he claims, he might have returned to the future before ever getting Rose pregnant. All this hinges on that theory being real, but it sort of creates a butterfly effect of how something relatively minor on Jonas' part ended up creating a tornado of trouble down the road.

I mean, Billy's existence seems to have had quite an influential hand in the history of the show: Caused Limb's experiment to fail, which in turn caused him to turn to villainy, Guild takeover attempts, Revenge Society creation, several dead GCI members at his orders/hands, etc.

Of course, all that hinges on Brainulo being Billy's dad.

What if Brainulo IS Billy from the future? :tinfoil:

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I'm happy to add my feelings, but is there an easy way to see who wrote which episode? Imdb isn't as much help as I thought it might be.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

fount of knowledge posted:

What if Brainulo IS Billy from the future? :tinfoil:

Brainulo himself proclaimed to have been born in the future and was only stranded in 19 lovely 9 because Dr. Venture stole his time machine.

After seeing what sort of person Dr. Venture is though, one has to wonder what sort of trouble he got into with access to a time machine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only two episodes I don't really care for are the two with Venturestein :colbert:

They relied on St Cloud a bit too much this season but I can see them wanting to play with the new action figure.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OGS-Remix posted:

After seeing what sort of person Dr. Venture is though, one has to wonder what sort of trouble he got into with access to a time machine.

Brought back a caveman, as was the style of the day.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My understanding is that they're close enough to a borg mind when it comes to writing that the writing credit on a given episode is almost completely meaningless.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I will always remember this season for Hank's literal transformation into The Bat complete with lobster car to falling in love with a female GI Joe uniform.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

My understanding is that they're close enough to a borg mind when it comes to writing that the writing credit on a given episode is almost completely meaningless.

They have very distinct writing styles and their episodes tend to have very different tones. McCollough tends to be more plot, structure, and character focused and Hammer tends to be more theme focused, heady, and irreverent. They definitely collaborate but they absolutely write their episodes separately. I'm sure story planning sessions are very mind-meldy, but from everything I've heard in interviews and from the clear differences in episode types, I'm surprised so many of you don't seem to notice.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of divisive opinions, do you have a favorite dead clone? Deanbortion counts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

evilwaldo posted:

I will always remember this season for Hank's literal transformation into The Bat complete with lobster car to falling in love with a female GI Joe uniform.

He pretty much made this season his.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Khaba posted:

I just re-watched the final episode, and it just kind of reaffirmed the feeling that I had earlier. This, to me, isn't a finale, it's just a normal episode.

Where I think this thread is kind of getting hung up on is that more than any other show, Venture Brothers appeals to different people in different ways. Doc and Jackson even mentioned it on that podcast linked a little while ago; for every person that likes it someone else hates it. Some people love the references, some people love the themes, and there are many many more reasons why someone could watch it.

I agree that this last episode wasn't much of a finale. They started upping the drama partway through the episode which made it seem more finale-ish, but it just didn't cut it. The thing is they've had great finales every other season which made this season's finale look that much worse in comparison. As a lot of people have been saying the finale for season four was amazing and could have been a series finale (I'm glad it wasn't of course). That being the most recent finale to compare this one to, this one fell far short.

Also except for season one every other finale was either a two parter or an hour long. Given how much the plots get compressed in this show in pretty much every episode, extra time makes a big difference. Season one had a massive cliffhanger to make up for it.

Plus there was the lack of a clear season long plot that got resolved.

To me it was more these things that hurt this season's finale than people liking the show for different reasons.

Khaba posted:

I personally thought that the Spanakopita episode was one of the weakest, though others thought it was the best yet, or at least, one of the better ones. That's fine though, I'm happy to like the show in a different way and also discuss it that way too. Stop jumping on each other due to difference in opinion. This especially goes out to anyone telling people "this might not be a show for you." If someone is watching Season 6 of this really niche, maybe even cult show, then they probably know that it's a show for them.

Same here, Spanakopita was the weakest episode this season.

What I don't get is how this show doesn't have a bigger following. I mean it makes it to its fifth season and they're still showing new episodes Sunday at midnight EST? I know it's getting beat in ratings by Family Guy reruns but come on, Adult Swim needs to give it a better time slot and promote it better or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

RandomPauI posted:

Speaking of divisive opinions, do you have a favorite dead clone? Deanbortion counts.

Gas leak. The silent killer.