Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oculus Rift will make a huge impact, I can't wait for the consumer version with a good panel to be released.

I tried the devkit at EVE Fanfest this year with the EVE VR demo and even with the low-res panel they use in the devkit, you forget about the resolution and all that after a couple of minutes, it's so immersive.

I just got boosebumps writing that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I've been researching a 27" 2560x screen for myself and from what I've gathered, the Viewsonic VP2770 is the best one you can get right now. I've not got one yet.
If you game the input lag is awful. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/viewsonic_vp2770-led.htm#input_lag

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I seen that as well but Prad.de says it's much lower. This fucker did a big review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5MDUKBXig and he says it's faster than all the korean ones, the Asus and Dell U2713HM so I've no idea what to think.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Those values are before TFT Central got an actual device where they could separate the panel's response time from pure input lag. That's why a lot of TFT Central's results are either close or much higher than Prad's. Or something, some input lag values from that site make no sense like with the 22" Dell Ultrasharp where they measured over 20ms of lag somehow.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

For the Canadians here, dell.ca is having a 4 day sale.

U2312HM for $190
U2412M for $270
U2713HM for $550

With the U2412M, are you basically paying almost $100 for the 16:10 aspect ratio instead of 16:9? I mean, I prefer 16:10 but I don't know if I prefer it enough to pay that difference.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It can actually be a downside: some consoles and other TV-style video equipment can't mat their output for aspect ratio on their own, and the U2412M doesn't have a match aspect or 16:9 ratio option, so there's no way not to stretch say a PS3 on it.

It's mostly economies of scale: a lot of panels are done 16:9; hardly any are done 8:5 anymore.

But yeah, 120 vertical pixels means a lot to some people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shofixti posted:

For the Canadians here, dell.ca is having a 4 day sale.

U2312HM for $190
U2412M for $270
U2713HM for $550

With the U2412M, are you basically paying almost $100 for the 16:10 aspect ratio instead of 16:9? I mean, I prefer 16:10 but I don't know if I prefer it enough to pay that difference.

Oh god. I already have two U23's, should I get a third?

Or do I get the on sale U27? then I'd have two U23's at 1080 and a U27 at 1440 and that would be a big glorious mess.

What do I do? :ohdear:

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

El Scotch posted:

Put the computer down and walk away slowly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

El Scotch posted:

Oh god. I already have two U23's, should I get a third?

Or do I get the on sale U27? then I'd have two U23's at 1080 and a U27 at 1440 and that would be a big glorious mess.

There's only one solution: THREE U2713HMs. :retrogames::respek::getin:

Don't actually do this unless you can actually afford to burn money.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2013

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Off the wall question, has anyone tried those 29" monitors? There is Dell U2913WM and LG 29EA93 which can be had for fairly good prices now days. LG had some earlier problems it looks like but that got resolved. I saw a few videos on Youtube and this option looks interesting, more immersive even.

Here is Anandtech's review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6741/lg-29ea93-monitor-review-rev-125

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I'm considering the U2312HM. Is it capable of running slightly higher refresh rates at native res, like 72hz? How does that work?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Get your wallets ready for Q4. 32" 4K IGZO Dell Ultrasharp.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/dell-ultrasharp-32/

Too bad about the 16:9, though.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh, wow..., this is a nice monitor. However, I am not sure I am ready to drop $2-3K for this plus another $2-3K worth of Titans to get this going for gaming. However, I am hoping this means the 30" will drop in price.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Why not just game at 2560x1600 and then reap the really awesome benefits of having 4k for desktop UI? God, that poo poo would be amazing for audio/video production.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Don't tempt me. :frogc00l:

Course, then I'd probably need a new graphics card, and a new PSU...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can't wait until we see a review with some benchmarks - would anti-aliasing even be needed at this stage?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It should still be available, but it becomes a much more personal decision.

My only concern is that very little software is written yet for arbitrary DPI scaling on desktops (after how many decades?), and that's going to be a mess on a panel like this.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

It should still be available, but it becomes a much more personal decision.

My only concern is that very little software is written yet for arbitrary DPI scaling on desktops (after how many decades?), and that's going to be a mess on a panel like this.

From Windows side it looks like 8.1 is addressing some of the higher DPI display issues. Will it be enough? Probably not.

Also, driving this display for gaming is going to be an expensive freaking endeavor.

massless
Feb 25, 2012

I think that's the model UP3214Q that was rumored on TFT Central a week ago. The manual on Dell's website that they cited also mentioned a UP2414Q. If that's actually a 24" monitor that's higher than 1920x1200 coming out this year, :aaaaa:

massless fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 25, 2013

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice

On that note, Dell just sent me two U2713HMs on top of the one I already own. I only wanted one more... :shrug:

I should keep the A02 and send back the A00, right?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

On that note, Dell just sent me two U2713HMs on top of the one I already own. I only wanted one more... :shrug:

Dell has screwed up and sent me multiple monitors in the past, and never charged me for it. I called a few weeks later, they had no clue what I was talking about, so I just decided to keep the spare monitor.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
How does that keep happening with a $550+ dollar piece of large merchandise? Ahahaha.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'll take the extra off your hands. :wiggle:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm building a new i3-3220 system (general usage, some gaming) and this is my current monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236028

I am totally happy with it, but I know very little about displays. Should I stick with it, or buy this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112&Tpk=ve247&IsVirtualParent=1

I don't mind spending a few bucks on an inexpensive new monitor even though my current one seems fine. I'm pretty sure this one is recommended here.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 25, 2013

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

On that note, Dell just sent me two U2713HMs on top of the one I already own. I only wanted one more...

Rawrbomb posted:

Dell has screwed up and sent me multiple monitors in the past, and never charged me for it. I called a few weeks later, they had no clue what I was talking about, so I just decided to keep the spare monitor.

:pray: Please let this happen with the 2312HM I just ordered :pray:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FistEnergy posted:

I'm building a new i3-3220 system (general usage, some gaming) and this is my current monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236028

I am totally happy with it, but I know very little about displays. Should I stick with it, or buy this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112&Tpk=ve247&IsVirtualParent=1

I don't mind spending a few bucks on an inexpensive new monitor even though my current one seems fine. I'm pretty sure this one is recommended here.

If your current monitor satisfies you, then there isn't a pressing need to upgrade, especially such a small one. If you were to upgrade, you might as well wait till you have the money to get a nice IPS panel.

Please bear in mind that getting a monitor with a higher resolution to the one you have now will also result in a need for a better graphics card to maintain comparable levels of performance.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

If your current monitor satisfies you, then there isn't a pressing need to upgrade, especially such a small one. If you were to upgrade, you might as well wait till you have the money to get a nice IPS panel.

Please bear in mind that getting a monitor with a higher resolution to the one you have now will also result in a need for a better graphics card to maintain comparable levels of performance.

I saw this one mentioned as a great IPS panel at a great price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

What exactly makes IPS so great? Is it noticeably better? I saw that this one had an 8ms response time, so I figured the 2ms, non IPS Asus was the way to go. I've been out of the loop for awhile.

edit: re-read the OP, now I understand why IPS is great. So is this Dell a great budget choice?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

I saw this one mentioned as a great IPS panel at a great price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

What exactly makes IPS so great? Is it noticeably better? I saw that this one had an 8ms response time, so I figured the 2ms, non IPS Asus was the way to go. I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Better viewing angles, better colours, better contrast, better everything. Seeing an IPS panel for the first time is literally a 'Holy gently caress this is what everything was supposed to look like all these years' moment.

And yes, the Dells are basically the best screens you can get without spending an order of magnitude more money.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

TheRationalRedditor posted:

How does that keep happening with a $550+ dollar piece of large merchandise? Ahahaha.

This was almost a decade ago now, it was for a 17" Dell LCD monitor, it was glorious. I think one has been lost, or given to someone over time. The other is on my fiancé's desk, acting as her second.

Still want to swap over to u2412M's (3), so she can inherit more of my old monitors. Its just parting with a grand for new monitors :(. Missed the last sale cuz I was out of country.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hardly any are done 8:5 anymore.

Good stuff. Ratios at arbitrarily higher numbers than the lowest integers possible was always kind of odd.

1.6 is also good. Since I've been looking at film ratios recently, I prefer to think of 1.6 and 1.78

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Looking to buy a 23 or 24" 1080p monitor, PC is used exclusively for gaming.

I've got a GTX 760 which does well at 1080p60 for everything I've been playing, so my first instinct was to just get one of the ~$200 Dell or ASUS IPS monitors and call it a day.

Then I started reading about 144Hz and LightBoost and everything and while I'm no pro CS gamer I do play a fair amount of FPS and action games. Now I'm considering the $250 ASUS VG248QE 144Hz display and sacrificing image quality for higher framerates. I'd also likely need to buy a second $250 760 for SLI in order to get 100+ FPS in the more demanding games, and hope that everything I play scales well with SLI. (I might also be able to get by with my single 760 for a while as I catch up on older games so I could spread out the expense somewhat.)

Over the past decade I've always preferred to turn down graphics settings for sake of maintaing a solid 60 FPS framerate so going to 144Hz seems like the next logical step, but is it worth the additional expense ($500 144Hz monitor + second video card vs. $200 IPS monitor) and worse image quality of a TN panel?

Maybe the best course of action is buy the 144Hz monitor, see how I like playing some older games at 120/144 FPS on my single 760, and then deciding to double down with SLI or return the monitor and buy an IPS instead.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yeah, you should probably do that. The VG248QE isn't that expensive so it's not a particularly punishing venture. You could also create a multiple panel setup down the road.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Perhaps you guys can help me out here. I bought a Dell u2412m and I've noticed everything seems to have some very faint horizontal blurring. Like the screen is duplicated, shifted a few pixels to the right and the opacity lowered. It is rather maddening when trying to read text heavy things. Originally the text itself was a little out of focus but it seems turning the sharpness up to 100 solves that issue, that is likely just a symptom of getting used to the anti-glare coating though. The horizontal blurring is quite a different thing.

e: I should probably include some details. I've connected it to my laptop as a second monitor, for which I'm using a VGA cable, and it's displaying at it's native resolution of 1920x1200@60hz. I haven't done any sort of color calibration or whatever (but that wouldn't help with this issue, right?)

Top Quark fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 26, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

A VGA cable? There's your problem.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
VGA can theoretically handle that resolution without hitting image distortion issues, but not from a lovely afterthought laptop connection and not in the typical 25-pin cable. If you don't have a DVI port on the laptop, the best you can do is fiddle with the auto-adjust option in the monitor's menus. Put a bunch of text on the screen when you do for best results.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Yeah my laptop is old enough to not have a DVI or HDMI port. Ah well, I'll lump it, thanks anyway!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Parker Lewis posted:

Looking to buy a 23 or 24" 1080p monitor, PC is used exclusively for gaming.

I've got a GTX 760 which does well at 1080p60 for everything I've been playing, so my first instinct was to just get one of the ~$200 Dell or ASUS IPS monitors and call it a day.

Then I started reading about 144Hz and LightBoost and everything and while I'm no pro CS gamer I do play a fair amount of FPS and action games. Now I'm considering the $250 ASUS VG248QE 144Hz display and sacrificing image quality for higher framerates. I'd also likely need to buy a second $250 760 for SLI in order to get 100+ FPS in the more demanding games, and hope that everything I play scales well with SLI. (I might also be able to get by with my single 760 for a while as I catch up on older games so I could spread out the expense somewhat.)

Over the past decade I've always preferred to turn down graphics settings for sake of maintaing a solid 60 FPS framerate so going to 144Hz seems like the next logical step, but is it worth the additional expense ($500 144Hz monitor + second video card vs. $200 IPS monitor) and worse image quality of a TN panel?

Maybe the best course of action is buy the 144Hz monitor, see how I like playing some older games at 120/144 FPS on my single 760, and then deciding to double down with SLI or return the monitor and buy an IPS instead.

I have three VG24QE's set up in Nvidia Surround and I'm pretty happy with them. Yeah, all the usual TN caveats apply, and out of the box their colour is really bad even for a TN, but once calibrated (there are plenty of colour profiles online) they provide decent colours, certainly good enough for gaming, web browsing and watching videos.

I've never had an issue with the viewing angles of these panels when they are in landscape (I'm just not very sensitive to it) but I tried the three in portrait mode and the gamma shift was definitely noticeable in the outer monitors, that and the think bezels had me back in Landscape in a hurry.

The big plus is of course 120/144Hz Gaming, which is fantastic and even simple things like moving windows around on the desktop is crazy smooth and pretty much makes every other monitor look slow. Haven't had a chance to play around with Lightboost yet - a lot of people in other forums out there are going nuts for it but I've heard some conflicting reviews. Its pretty easy to enable now with ToastyX's utility as well. All I can say is get one and try it - you'll know pretty quickly if its the monitor for you.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I'm in a tricky position. I'm looking to upgrade my old 19" 4:3 Toshiba TV with brilliant picture quality to something I can use both as a second monitor and for TV poo poo. My options are to either get a 24" TV or get a monitor with Component input so I can still run my Wii and buy an HDTV tuner. Unfortunately, 24" TV's are almost non-existent nowadays since they jump from around 19" straight to 32". Similarly, monitors very rarely come with Component input. What's worse is I live in Australia, so I can't just import anything because the power source won't fit. The range our department stores offer is abysmal, so I'm not sure where I should even start looking.

I understand I might need to make some compromises, but aren't sure where to start. Are there any good 24" TV's out there? What about monitors with Component input? Are they sold in Australia? If so, where? Is there a good place I can start looking? If I need to go for something else, what should I start looking for instead? I'd be grateful for any help.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
lg do 24 inch TVs wth component in and IPS screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mush Man posted:

I'm in a tricky position. I'm looking to upgrade my old 19" 4:3 Toshiba TV with brilliant picture quality to something I can use both as a second monitor and for TV poo poo. My options are to either get a 24" TV or get a monitor with Component input so I can still run my Wii and buy an HDTV tuner. Unfortunately, 24" TV's are almost non-existent nowadays since they jump from around 19" straight to 32". Similarly, monitors very rarely come with Component input. What's worse is I live in Australia, so I can't just import anything because the power source won't fit. The range our department stores offer is abysmal, so I'm not sure where I should even start looking.

I understand I might need to make some compromises, but aren't sure where to start. Are there any good 24" TV's out there? What about monitors with Component input? Are they sold in Australia? If so, where? Is there a good place I can start looking? If I need to go for something else, what should I start looking for instead? I'd be grateful for any help.

Just buy a nice TV tuner for your PC, then you get bonus PVR functionality. This one is good:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=553&products_id=15342

The main difficulty in Australia is getting TV guide information, the only program I've found that does it properly is Windows Media Center, but it works really really well.

You can buy adapters to go from component on your wii to DVI or HDMI on your screen I'm 99% sure.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 27, 2013