Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Greek Tragedy posted:

Hey All,

God drat it's been a while since I've been in here. Apparently life happened and I can't gently caress about on the internet as much anymore.

Any of you other comedy goons run an open mic? How do you get people (not just comics) out to your open mics? I know this isn't the case in places like NYC and LA but I'm in fairly rural eastern washington state. We have a decent population (over 200000) but there are nights when there are literally just the 7 comics performing that night in attendance. Of course the same club on the weekend gets 80 people to the comedy show. How do I get like even 20% of that to come to a FREE comedy night? Any tips from my goon peeps? It would be much appreciated, i'm getting really frustrated.

Also we just finished our 3rd annual amateur comedy competition and holy poo poo guys. Some serious talent coming up in the northwest!

There just aren't going to be that many drinkers going out on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, maybe you could argue for some cheap drink specials. Comedy clubs are up there with strip clubs for overcharging for drinks. Nobody is going to want to watch a 'free' comedy show where it costs $5 for a PBR to listen to amateur hour.

Also, are there many other bars nearby? Like in a college town bar district, or are you in stuck off in some suburban strip mall away from the action?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Greek Tragedy posted:

We have a decent population (over 200000) but there are nights when there are literally just the 7 comics performing that night in attendance. Of course the

This still happens all the time at open mics in NYC. My only advice is plug, plug, plug your show to everyone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, just got back from my first open mic. Like I said, it was the first round of an open mic contest. I wasn't super happy with my set, but it was still good enough to get me first place for the night and into the finals, so I really can't complain. I didn't totally blank, like I was worried about, but my setlist got fuzzy enough that I ended up improving a decent amount, as well as throwing in a few bits that I hadn't prepared at all, skipping a few that I had, and eating up enough of my time that I didn't feel comfortable going for my closer. The club has a pretty strict no heckling policy, which I, honestly, don't like. I want to work on my ability to deal with them, but I had the "fortune" of having a lady near the front get slightly heckle-y. Heckling isn't really the right word, but she just really wanted to be a part of the show (as hecklers do). I felt that nothing she said caught me off guard and I was able to deal a little with crowd work thanks to her. You can actually see in the video where the door man goes over and tell her that she'll be asked to leave if she speaks up again. The feature and headliner for the evening were both very supportive and gave me some constructive feedback. Probably the best advice I got was simply to speak up. It being my first time up, I felt awkward holding a mic and didn't really know how to handle it. But, I think next time will be better. My main concern is going into my next one with any sense of security, whatsoever. I had a good night and my set was simply funnier than my competition. That doesn't mean that I'm actually funny. It just means that I got lucky. So, now I have two weeks to get a better set together for the finals. I can't let a minor "win" lure me into a false sense of security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJnDpbnSAX0

*sorry for the audio/video quality.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This may not be the place to ask this, but what's the deal with Patrice O'Neal being considering a "comedian's comedian".
I listened to an album of his today, and it's so incredibly misogynist and mean. There was never one inkling during the entire set that he thought women existed for any other reason than to please men, or thought that during sex the man should have any regard for whether a woman is enjoying it.
I'm not saying he should have been censored or anything, but I'm wondering why exactly he was/is so revered among stand-ups. Was it just because he wasn't afraid to say anything, despite how crazy it was? Or is there another dimension to it I'm missing?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It could also be partly because he's dead, and died before majorly screwing up or fizzling out (as far as I know).

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

Ccs posted:

This may not be the place to ask this, but what's the deal with Patrice O'Neal being considering a "comedian's comedian".
I listened to an album of his today, and it's so incredibly misogynist and mean. There was never one inkling during the entire set that he thought women existed for any other reason than to please men, or thought that during sex the man should have any regard for whether a woman is enjoying it.
I'm not saying he should have been censored or anything, but I'm wondering why exactly he was/is so revered among stand-ups. Was it just because he wasn't afraid to say anything, despite how crazy it was? Or is there another dimension to it I'm missing?

Probably because alot of comedians are misogynists and loving mean. I'm not saying all of them by any means, but when I was a weekly host at my home club I met a LOT of douchebags. So many in fact that anytime I meet a comic that's genuinely a good person, I make note of it and my boyfriend has started noticing, when I describe a comic we're going to see or I'm opening for, when I say "and he's really just such a nice guy". He finds it funny that I distinguish that, but it's sort of rare amongst the road comics I've met.

I respect Patrice O'Neal and liked some of his material and thought his delivery was usually the thing that made a bit work, but honestly I wasn't a huge time fan of his. I also wouldn't say he's this comedian's comedian. He was definitely not anywhere near my list of favorites, that's for sure.

tl;dr- I agree with you, but a lot of comedians are douches, so that's probably why he's called that.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Ccs posted:

it's because he did it with charm. a huge portion of his audience was women, and he would use his clownish logic to make them laugh at things that should have been totally offensive.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The Laughing Devil in NYC is being sold. :(

I have a show lined up there in October, so now that's probably not happening.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

The Laughing Devil in NYC is being sold. :(

I have a show lined up there in October, so now that's probably not happening.

drat. they do a lot of festivals there too...

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Ccs posted:

I think you're simplifying his comedy some and should give him another try, or at least point out some specific bits you didn't like and why. I think Patrice O'neal was probably one of the greatest comics of all time, and I don't think he ever implied anything like what you got out of it. Because he did comedy without disclaimers and without making the jokes "safe", he left things with room for interpretation. If that was your interpretation, that speaks to what you saw in it, but in fairness he never said that.

I think a lot of the biggest comics were really into him because even as you're going "oh my god, that's horrible" as he says something really out there, there's always deep logic to it. Even if you disagreed with something he said, he could always back up what he was saying and argue his position to an infinite degree because he really believed it--there's was no persona, no difference between him on and off stage. To do a style of comedy that offends people and is so different from most people's values yet be completely honest and unapologetic takes a special kind of integrity. I think it's pretty incredible to have a guy at that level never disavowing what he said or hiding behind the classic dodge of "it's just a joke, I don't really believe what I'm saying." That said, he probably was an rear end in a top hat, but who cares now? So were Picasso, Richard Pryor, Nabokov, etc.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Patrice O'Neal was fantastic and I agree with anyone and everyone who finds him to be. Smerdyakov said it better than I could, but just pretend I typed out agreements with all his points. I love listening to other comics telling stories about Patrice because I get the feeling that he was simply the person he was and didn't pretend to be anything else.

Dr. Magnificent
Sep 1, 2006

Patrice O' Neal was in Philly shortly before he died. The main club there (Helium) is just a couple blocks away from one of the better open mics in the city. He stopped by the mic after his show, did a set and hung around outside with other open mic comics. I didn't go that night......

I did at least get to see him live that weekend, but I'm still kicking myself over that.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously, I applaud all of you whole-heartedly for taking this risk and trying to make people laugh. I wrote twenty minutes of material last year, I think solid stuff, but threw it away because Im a loving pussy. Going to start working on some more, waiting for my balls to drop. BTW if you any of you do Anthony Jeselnik style offensive stuff, I may have a joke for you if you want it.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

jimcunningham posted:

Seriously, I applaud all of you whole-heartedly for taking this risk and trying to make people laugh. I wrote twenty minutes of material last year, I think solid stuff, but threw it away because Im a loving pussy.

just do it. no matter how good the material is, you're gonna do some bombing, because not every crowd is gonna be your crowd. and bombing actually becomes kind of liberating and fun if you just run with it. when i bomb, which has been a lot since i'm only three months in, i use it as an excuse to act as belligerent as i want. i did a show in easily the most hood bar in new haven, ct this week in which everyone bombed. one of the more experienced comics was trying to do some crowd work and these two girls just sat there with their arms crossed and wouldn't even answer his questions. it was amazing.

and on the flip side, i also had the best set of my life this week in front of some really talented and experienced comics this week, which earned me some respect and two bookings.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Oh neat SA has a standup comedy thread. I'm an NYC based comic that's been doing it for a few years. I was curious if any other Goons did comedy. I'll read through the thread but is anyone here based in NYC?

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
I performed at my first open mic night this past Wednesday and I'd like to receive some honest criticism. My friends and family have all told me they think I did great, but I am looking to see what I can work on.

Keep in mind this is my first time up on stage and I only did about 3 minutes: http://youtu.be/HAZqxkMnODA (I apologize, not the best quality)

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Karl Ontario posted:

I performed at my first open mic night this past Wednesday and I'd like to receive some honest criticism. My friends and family have all told me they think I did great, but I am looking to see what I can work on.

Keep in mind this is my first time up on stage and I only did about 3 minutes: http://youtu.be/HAZqxkMnODA (I apologize, not the best quality)

Good material, good stage presence.. need to work on not laughing so much at your own jokes!

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Ussr posted:

Oh neat SA has a standup comedy thread. I'm an NYC based comic that's been doing it for a few years. I was curious if any other Goons did comedy. I'll read through the thread but is anyone here based in NYC?

I live in NYC and have been thinking about giving it a shot. I don't have a set yet, so it wouldn't be for a little while if I do, but I see a fair amount of shows.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I live in NYC and have been thinking about giving it a shot. I don't have a set yet, so it wouldn't be for a little while if I do, but I see a fair amount of shows.

Well dude, I've gone to mics with a few really new dudes to help peer pressure them on stage so if you need that person I would be more than happy to go with you. Just PM me.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Ussr posted:

Well dude, I've gone to mics with a few really new dudes to help peer pressure them on stage so if you need that person I would be more than happy to go with you. Just PM me.

I have another friend who said the same thing you did. I'm not ready with a set yet, but I'll keep it in mind and reach out if I go in that direction. Thanks, though, that's a cool offer. I hope to take you up on it one day

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I have another friend who said the same thing you did. I'm not ready with a set yet, but I'll keep it in mind and reach out if I go in that direction. Thanks, though, that's a cool offer. I hope to take you up on it one day

Best way to get a set ready is to sign up for an open mic and tell your friends. You'll have no choice but to come up with material or else you'll look silly backing out.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

you probably have a set already. i'm sure there's a lot of material you use in your day to day life that you can get stage-ready for your first mic.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, so I'm doing a senior project on comedy and I'm planning on interviewing a bunch of comedians on their craft. And in a few months I'm gonna do a 5 minute routine at my school and give a little workshop on comedy. I have some questions ready, and if you guys have any suggestions, about anything, I'd love to hear them. If some of you wouldn't mind answering some of these questions, i would be very grateful.

When did you first know you were funny?

What was the first way you exhibitioned your comedy

Tell me about delivery a bit

When you wait an extra second before or after giving the punhline, what effect do you think that has

Does your routine ever change during the night? Like you find something sticks so you go deeper, or the opposite?

How do you judge a room in order to change your coming bits an jokes?

How important is irony to you?

How long do you typically spend forming and polishing a joke? When is it”done”?

How do you practice? In front of a mirror?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you want answers from a rookie open mic'er, let me know.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Any of you fine folks from the Halifax area?

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Karl Ontario posted:

Best way to get a set ready is to sign up for an open mic and tell your friends. You'll have no choice but to come up with material or else you'll look silly backing out.

This is a good idea, or if you want to feel like a rockstar sign up for a bringer show and tell all of your friends. Bringer shows are make believe standup shows that really mean nothing but they can help build confidence and give you the nerve you need to really start hitting the open mics which will improve ability to stand on a stage and talk into a mic which will eventually improve your ability to write jokes.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

If you want answers from a rookie open mic'er, let me know.

That'd be great, thanks.

I also interviewed the comic Will A. Thomas. I got about 45 minutes of him talking about comedy. Would any of you guys like to see it? Ill upload it to youtube

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Will it spoil me posted:

That'd be great, thanks.

I also interviewed the comic Will A. Thomas. I got about 45 minutes of him talking about comedy. Would any of you guys like to see it? Ill upload it to youtube

Shoot me an email at stick1300 @ gee mail

Also, yes.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm telling you all that I'm going to sign up for an open mic Tuesday night so that I can't back out of signing up for an open mic Tuesday night.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

captain platypus posted:

I'm telling you all that I'm going to sign up for an open mic Tuesday night so that I can't back out of signing up for an open mic Tuesday night.

Post this on your Facebook so your friends will put pressure on you to follow through. That's what I did.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

XIII posted:

Post this on your Facebook so your friends will put pressure on you to follow through. That's what I did.

I don't have a whole lot of friends here---I just moved up a week ago. I have told a few of my friends from back home.

e: I did just tell the friend who normally talks me into doing uncomfortable things and he wants me to tape the show.

How do you all rehearse? I'm currently talking to the stuffed lion who sits on my television.

captain platypus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

captain platypus posted:

I don't have a whole lot of friends here---I just moved up a week ago. I have told a few of my friends from back home.

e: I did just tell the friend who normally talks me into doing uncomfortable things and he wants me to tape the show.

How do you all rehearse? I'm currently talking to the stuffed lion who sits on my television.

Definitely film it. I have a drat hard time watching my sets, but what I've learned (like to stop swinging my free arm around) has been super valuable.

I usually run through my set a handful of times alone/to my dog the day of. Then, one or two of the other open mic'ers come over a couple hours before it starts and we will run through our sets and tweak things. Well, sometimes. About half of the time we just end up bullshitting.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

captain platypus posted:

Absolutely tape it man. it sucks watching yourself at first but you very quickly learn all the poo poo you don't wanna do anymore. I host an openmic and you can tell the ones that tape and watch and the ones that don't. The one's that tape and watch rapidly get better because they cut out all the distractions.

also, don't lean all over the mic stand, it's distracting as hell. just take the mic out and put the stand behind you.

break a leg!

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay. Thanks, you two!

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently my phone only does half-minute video, but I did get up there.

I can see why you'd want to film. It's a five(?)-minute period where I was just on autopilot and I don't know how I did. I got some laughs and compliments, though.

Funnily enough, my favorite part got almost no laughs, and something that I didn't even consider a punchline did.

Thanks for the help!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I've only done three open mics myself at the start of the year and haven't done anything for a long time, does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there? After I listened back to a recording of my first one I got enough laughs, but I really could not tell whatsoever at the time how I did.

I'm signing up for local improv course just to get my performing confidence back up again since I haven't done anything for ages - kinda like taking a few driving lessons if you haven't driven in years. I really ought to write some more material too. Even though people seemed to find the other stuff funny, I wasn't hugely chuffed with it (even having my last bit being about how un-proud I am of it).

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I've only done three open mics myself at the start of the year and haven't done anything for a long time, does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there? After I listened back to a recording of my first one I got enough laughs, but I really could not tell whatsoever at the time how I did.

I could tell whether I was getting a response, but the whole thing---even though I clocked it MANY times at five or more minutes---went by in a flash and didn't allow much time for analysis or self-correction.

quote:

I'm signing up for local improv course just to get my performing confidence back up again since I haven't done anything for ages

Heh, me too. You don't live in Maine, do you?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there?

I think that's just part of the curse that is being new. I've found myself barreling through material on stage and I think you just have to learn to slow down and try to feel where the crowd is at. I've only done this once, but taking a drink up with me gave me a good way to kinda of reset myself when I notice that I was doing it. I know you weren't being literal about the blindness part, but my friend complains a lot about not being able to actually see anyone, so he has trouble interacting with the crowd. I'm short enough that I can see people really well, so I have a little more visual feedback on how things go over.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ I've been pulled onto the stage before by a big name act for more audience participation stuff and I have a major respect for those guys - with the stage lights of a large venue you literally can't see past the first five rows.

captain platypus posted:

I could tell whether I was getting a response, but the whole thing---even though I clocked it MANY times at five or more minutes---went by in a flash and didn't allow much time for analysis or self-correction.

Heh, me too. You don't live in Maine, do you?
Nope, Northern Ireland!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there?

I'm signing up for local improv course just to get my performing confidence back up again since I haven't done anything for ages

I tell lots of our brand new micers that this is totally normal. Stage deafness. Seriously, it's a thing I have experienced and heard from many comics. You kind of can't hear anything because your heart is pounding or you're thinking of your material, but they could really be laughing! that's another reason why video is important, it records not just you, but them too.

Focus on the confidence building in improv. Improv is totally a different game than stand up, BUT i think the stage time is good no matter what to just build comfort and confidence on stage.