Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Who here is looking forward to Kevin Smith's next horror film:

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2013/07/kevin-smith-tusk-walrus-human-centipede-quentin-tarantino/

:stare:

quote:

Quentin Tarantino has received an unsolicited screenplay from Kevin Smith in which Quentin Tarantino is surgically altered into a human walrus by an evil surgeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

As long as Tarantino gets a part where he yells about how violence is fun, then dives into a vat of fish and begins thrashing around eating them, I'm game.
Maybe Cheech Marin can get in on this.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

axleblaze posted:

Eh, the Ti West short is the only one that I feel like the person actually was ripping of the filmmakers. Every other short has at least some amount of money on screen while with West's it feels like he just pocketed it. It's just in a film full of lovely, lazy shorts, it comes across as the laziest.

I understand the criticism more with this explanation.

After reading the Wiki page, I don't even remember a few of the shorts, like J. I don't know if this is a comment on the format or the quality of the shorts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally saw The Conjuring tonight. I wouldn't say it was boring, but it was a sort of by-the-numbers demonic possession/exorcism film. It wasn't half as cool as Insidious, that's for drat sure. But I also don't feel like it was a waste of money or anything. Had some cool atmosphere and camerawork at times.

I really appreciated the very sparse soundtrack, too. And how it seemed to subvert many horror tropes for most of the movie...or at least half of it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 24, 2013

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Harminoff posted:

What upn cut is missing? I just thought there was this 60 minute version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pGcN3b1IRQ

and this 90 minute one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgRCPKP1jg

is there another version?

If I remember correctly there is a third version which has an actual 60 minute runtime that only aired once, the week before the 45 minute version you posted there. I've never seen it but SMG maintains that's the best cut of the remake and he's the go-to-guy for The McPherson Tape information.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I finally saw The Conjuring tonight. I wouldn't say it was boring, but it was a sort of by-the-numbers demonic possession/exorcism film. It wasn't half as cool as Insidious, that's for drat sure. But I also don't feel like it was a waste of money or anything. Had some cool atmosphere and camerawork at times.

I really appreciated the very sparse soundtrack, too. And how it seemed to subvert many horror tropes for most of the movie...or at least half of it.

Speaking of Insidious, I saw that last night for the first time, in preparation for the next one. I thought it was pretty nifty, actually. It's sort of like The Conjuring, in that it relies on traditional camerawork, audio cues and technical wizardry rather than gore to raise tension, and like somebody else said recently, I appreciated that there are no "cheap" jump-scares; every "Boo!" moment was a legitimate brush with the supernatural, rather than, say, the bird hitting the window. I know it catches some flak from the third act of the movie, but I kinda liked it; there's something very charmingly old-school about presenting "The Other Side" with nothing but a blacked out stage and a bunch of dry ice. The "paranormal investigators" were kind of :rolleyes:, but didn't really overstay their their welcome, at least not for me. Only real thing I thought was hokey was the bit at the end where the fight with the demon happened. I didn't quite like that they showed the demon in such great detail; sort of removed the mystery surrounding it and the feeling of "WTF is happening" that is so necessary to horror. You need a touch of mystery that isn't solved by the end: answer all the questions your movie poses, and you don't have horror, you have suspense with supernatural elements. James Wan seems to have taken this lesson to heart by The Conjuring, though; you only saw glimpses of Bathsheba (or any other ghost) and it maintained the creepiness.

All in all, I'm pretty excited for Insidious: Chapter 2, especially given how the first ended. The family looked pretty happy and normal in trailers, and the Old Woman didn't really seem the hide-and-bide-her-time type, given that she killed Elise so fast. And what about the wife's knowledge too? I'm thinking memory shenanigans or something. Well, we'll see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Insidious: Chapter 2 is a sequel and a prequel, featuring time-travel.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it really? This keeps sounding better.

Inisdious is a bit odd for me because I saw it before I'd seen basically any other recentish horror movies and I loved the first half and not so much the second half.

However, after watching a bunch of other new movies with really similar formulaic set ups that sort of just... trickle away into nothing, I rewatched Insidious and LOVED it. There are still a couple of things about the ending that feel "off" to me but as far as I'm concerned it basically did its best.

(Oh, and I also saw it way before I ever watched Poltergeist, which was funny. I understand why they're compared but I feel like they go for absolutely different angles).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I liked both halves of Insidious but I really want to see each of the complete films that were inexplicably chopped up and jammed together to make it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

resurgam40 posted:

I appreciated that there are no "cheap" jump-scares; every "Boo!" moment was a legitimate brush with the supernatural, rather than, say, the bird hitting the window.

If this is referring to The Conjuring, I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

People always wonder how I can watch horror on a regular basis. This is the reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For some reason I have the impression that The Conjuring is "one for them" and Insidious 2 is "one for me", the Ocean's Eleven to Insidious 2's The Girlfriend Experience, if you will.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I completely understand the distinction you're making in that The Conjuring is more of a formulaic, earnest crowd-pleaser while Insidious and assumedly Chapter 2 are very imaginative and off-the-wall. But I can't really see any horror film Wan makes these days as not being "one for me", because there's nobody in the genre whose sheer joy at constructing and shooting horror sequences comes through the screen more vividly.

EDIT: About to start watching Kill List. I've heard that it's best to go into it as blind as possible, so doing so. But for purposes of inviting or warning off potential people to watch it with, where does it fall on the scale of "disturbing things happen, atmosphere of dread" to "jump scares and gore"? My feeling is closer to the former, but that doesn't necessarily preclude the presence of the latter.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 24, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I don't think there's much over-the-top gore, but there were a few instances of realistic-looking violence that elicited cringing from both me and my girlfriend. Overall I'd say it's more about "disturbing things happen, atmosphere of dread" though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why was I under the impression that Chernobyl Diaries was a found footage film? Because it's not. It's also incredibly dull.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

EDIT: About to start watching Kill List. I've heard that it's best to go into it as blind as possible, so doing so. But for purposes of inviting or warning off potential people to watch it with, where does it fall on the scale of "disturbing things happen, atmosphere of dread" to "jump scares and gore"? My feeling is closer to the former, but that doesn't necessarily preclude the presence of the latter.

It's been a while since I watched it but as I recall there was basically 0 jump scares, a decent amount of gore, and then the most effective feeling of dread I've ever gotten from a horror film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

Why was I under the impression that Chernobyl Diaries was a found footage film? Because it's not. It's also incredibly dull.

Yeah, I went in with the same assumption. I assume it has something to do with the title, the marketing referencing Paranormal Activity every chance it got, and several reviews commenting on it being 'found footage style'.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, I went in with the same assumption. I assume it has something to do with the title, the marketing referencing Paranormal Activity every chance it got, and several reviews commenting on it being 'found footage style'.

One of the really odd choices is it is shot like a found footage film, it just isn't one. It doesn't have shakey cam but outside of that it just looks like a found footage film but it just isn't one. So you have most of the downsided of found footage wityhout any of the interesting thing the genre brings to the table. I'm not holding that against it but it certainly could have used anything to make it more interesting.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Gary the Llama posted:

Just got back from seeing The Conjuring.

The scariest scene for me was when the girl woke up and was looking under her bed and then woke her sister and told her there was someone behind the door. Such great tension. I was on the edge of my seat and I loved that they lingered on the shot of her watching the door. I love searching a shot for things that may or may not be there, which is probably why I loved Paranormal Activity so much.

This scene was loving amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole.

I absolutely LOVED The COnjuring. I felt it was a smartly made movie with great tension throughout that really did not let up. I was really nervous it would fall into the same trap that Insidious did with the comedy relief. Thank GOD it does not.

I rarely buy movies anymore, but this is one I will be purchasing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

Just the second half was :colbert: (boring, not found footage)

The first half legitimately owned. Then when it turns into a dull slasher, that's when I lost interest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just the second half was :colbert: (boring, not found footage)

The first half legitimately owned. Then when it turns into a dull slasher, that's when I lost interest.

The first had a cool location but it was just really dull, lifeless characters and cgi bears in that cool location.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

The first had a cool location but it was just really dull, lifeless characters and cgi bears in that cool location.
Let's be honest, though: if the second half had gone in a different direction, even with the dull, lifeless characters, it still could have been a really cool movie.

The way it ended up, though, it was forgettable aside from the awesome location.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Chernobyl Diaries actually owns. With the extremely subtle, tasteful presentation of its tasteless subject matter, it's like an exploitation Children of Men. The cinematography is fantastic.

Despite not technically being found footage, it's absolutely about the tourists' photography anyways.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Chernobyl Diaries thoughts: When we had scary fish, wandering bears, and aggressive wolves I found the movie scary. It seemed to be building up to a theme of nature overcoming humanity. It was implying that even after a nuclear blast, nature would prevail. I thought this was very well done. Then they introduced the mutants.Once it became a no-budget Hills Have Eyes movie it lost all tension, and dragged on through it's final act.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I didn't hate Chernobyl Diaries, but I find it hard to really enjoy films where the only character I find sympathy for or actually like is the first to die. That tour guide was great and didn't hurt anybody dammit :smith:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Very rarely do horror directors that I get excites about in the beginning of their careers go on to impress me later.
I bet on that horse after DeadSilence and Wan continues to get better with each film.

Wan to me is what everyone else thought Ti West was going to be.

I hope he doesn't get too sidetracked after his Fast and Furious is the best film in that series. Because it will be.

Don't leave us horror fans behind like Raimi did.

Oh yeah I finally saw the new Evil Dead. It was way more forgettable than I thought it would be. Everything was great but the cast. They all kind of, meh.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
I thought the best part of Chernobyl Diaries was the bit inside the reactor at the end when their skin is starting to burn off. It's right then that you realize exactly how hosed they are. I wish there would have been more of that sort of survivalist horror rather than little glimpses of cliche mutants.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neumonic posted:

I thought the best part of Chernobyl Diaries was the bit inside the reactor at the end when their skin is starting to burn off. It's right then that you realize exactly how hosed they are. I wish there would have been more of that sort of survivalist horror rather than little glimpses of cliche mutants.

I love the mutants. They're pulpy as gently caress, with a design that fits right in the middle ground between The Toxic Avenger and Rubber Johnny. And then the tasteful presentation affords them some unexpected dignity. Chernobyl Diaries is really cinematic as gently caress, and I love how the camera stays tied to the characters and sees only what they see. It follows the aesthetic and thematic logic of Found Footage where, if something happens 'over there', we don't see it and can't really comprehend it - and the monsters are invariably 'over there', never given POV shots and close-ups. Everything is seen in glimpses and traces. It's all evidence.

People complain about how films like this and Sunshine 'become slashers in the second half' but, really, what they do is reveal themselves to be slashers all along. And they're very well-made slashers. Who doesn't like a good slasher movie?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really don't know how to feel about the The Conjouring. On the one hand it was a really well made, scary and downright good movie. On the other hand all the things I was worried about were there and kind of even worse than I thought they would be. I've never been this mixed up about a movie. It's a really great, thoroughly reprehensible movie.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Are the Children of the Corn movies worth my time? I've been on a franchise kick lately. I've rewatched all of the Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers movies. I'm trying to decide where to go next and I saw a Children of the Corn on netflix.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Cole posted:

Are the Children of the Corn movies worth my time? I've been on a franchise kick lately. I've rewatched all of the Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers movies. I'm trying to decide where to go next and I saw a Children of the Corn on netflix.

Not really. Urban Harvest was okay.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cole posted:

That's a pretty drat difficult answer to calibrate. What's a horror franchise that is worth your time? I'm having trouble thinking of many than are more hits than misses, not counting the odd two-fers and trilogies (which are really a different beast than the ones that run on toward double digits).

Anyway, I offered my comments following a recent watch of all of 'em earlier in the thread.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm mostly interested in franchises that are overall entertaining. The Freddy movies, for the most part, were terrible movies. But I'll be damned if they weren't entertaining. The Jason movies just got so ridiculous that they were funny (looking right at you, part 8). The Halloween movies kind of bored me towards the end of the franchise.

Basically anything that isn't boring and is overall entertaining. I watched part of a Children of the Corn (I can't remember exactly which one) and was just bored to tears, but didn't know if any of them picked up the slack in entertainment value.

The only recommendation I don't want is Scream. I've seen all four of them so many times that it's to the point where I can probably recite them for you with drat near perfect accuracy.

E: Thanks for pointing me to the CotC write up.

Cole fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Halloween really should have ended with H2O. That, *that* was a perfectly fine way to end the series, enough so that I happily ignore any stupid retcons of the ending that followed.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

DeathChicken posted:

Halloween really should have ended with H2O. That, *that* was a perfectly fine way to end the series, enough so that I happily ignore any stupid retcons of the ending that followed.

Halloween should've never been a franchise, period. I would've loved to have seen what would've been if we'd had the unrelated annual horror films all under the common banner of "Halloween" that was planned. They would've probably all been terrible, granted, but there would have at least been variety.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cole posted:

The first one's a serviceable '70s low-end horror flick, second one is a significant drop in quality, and the third one is kind of awesome for how far it stretches the 'monster' of the first film. Stop with that one.

It (Urban Harvest) is also kind of notable for being one of about three films that Daniel Cerny acted in (the other horror film being Demonic Toys, plus a minute role in Doc Hollywood). I always kind of wondered why his acting career didn't take off, since he's got an interesting kind of charisma. According to IMDB, he's moved to editing/production/directing, so I'm glad he didn't drop out of the business entirely, like the Damien kids from Omen 1 and 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cole posted:

Not even the first Children of the Corn is worth your time unless you wanna see the skeleton in Linda Hamilton's closet. Read the short story and stop there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm really hoping Halloween 3 is a reboot of Season of the Witch , seriously. That'd be so loving awesome.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Cole posted:

I'm mostly interested in franchises that are overall entertaining. The Freddy movies, for the most part, were terrible movies. But I'll be damned if they weren't entertaining. The Jason movies just got so ridiculous that they were funny (looking right at you, part 8). The Halloween movies kind of bored me towards the end of the franchise.

Basically anything that isn't boring and is overall entertaining. I watched part of a Children of the Corn

All the CotC movies stink.

The answer to your question is: Phantasm they're all entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The last one he made is kind of a train wreck.