Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tasty Wheat posted:

To be honest, if a job was on fire, on the other side of the street, I would not walk over and piss on it for 40k

gently caress, working in local municipal government has broken me. I've been getting all excited because there's a Sr. Systems Admin job opening up soon and it starts around 48k :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

gently caress, working in local municipal government has broken me. I've been getting all excited because there's a Sr. Systems Admin job opening up soon and it starts around 48k :smith:

Depending upon where you live, 48k may be pretty good money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

psydude posted:

That is small town america pay for sure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

True, but median salary for Server Admins here over the last two years is 76k. That's in the private sector, not government.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Accidentally earned my CCNA Video certification yesterday.

Last Friday I was talking to one of my coworkers at the end of the day, and he was going through and checking on our certification requirements for maintaining our partner status with Cisco, and studying to take two of the exams that were required but we hadn't fulfilled. One look at the material for one of them and I realized I knew almost everything that was required, so I volunteered to take the exam so that he could focus on the other.

A few days of studying, and I passed it pretty easily yesterday. Since the only reason I was taking it was to meet our partner requirements, I didn't give it much thought, thinking it was just another partner specialization exam that wouldn't really count for much else. That was until I received two "Congratulations on your Cisco Certification" emails and actually read them. Turns out since I already had my CCNA Voice, the exam I took yesterday fulfilled the requirement for CCNA Video.

Now I just really need to buckle down and get the 4 remaining exams for CCNP Voice done before my next review in June...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

But it's senior... I'd expect a bit more.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

But it's senior... I'd expect a bit more.

Yea. Currently I am just a "Sysadmin", going to try and weasel a Sr title next year. Working for a county government. My pay is a healthy amount higher than that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Thanks for the advice to go straight for CCENT. Once I'm ready to take the exam, how do I take it? Is it online through Cisco's site or do I have to buy a voucher and go to a physical exam place? If it's the latter, where is the best place to buy vouchers? Is there some special oasis that sells them cheaper or at least at a discount for a post-college student who can provide an .edu address?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.pearsonvue.com

You have to find a testing center.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I just took a cert for my degree program (CIW Web Foundations, nothing big) and uh, is the security for these tests supposed to be lax? I was under the impression they'd take my phone and when I said I hadn't gotten rid of my phone to my proctor he gave me a stupid look and said I could put it on the shelf if it worried me. Closed off room shared with 2 other people taking tests at the same time. Proctor just closed the cubicle door and wandered around the building apparently.

Just kind of odd when Prometric made me believe it'd be a lot more...stringent.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

QPZIL posted:

Took 640-822 (CCENT) last week and passed with a 93%. Took 70-410 (Instl. & Cfg. Windows Server 2012) today and passed with a 94%. One left for CCNA and two left for MCSA.

Come at me cert exams :cool:

It's not out of 1000, it's out of ~unspecified mystery number~ and then the passing score is scaled to 700. Hopefully, it's extra wiggle room to adjust tests that have extra heavy memorization content but who knows.

Stanos posted:

I just took a cert for my degree program (CIW Web Foundations, nothing big) and uh, is the security for these tests supposed to be lax? I was under the impression they'd take my phone and when I said I hadn't gotten rid of my phone to my proctor he gave me a stupid look and said I could put it on the shelf if it worried me. Closed off room shared with 2 other people taking tests at the same time. Proctor just closed the cubicle door and wandered around the building apparently.

Just kind of odd when Prometric made me believe it'd be a lot more...stringent.

Prometric doesn't implement anything, they just partner with local test centers, check out their facility and give them the app. It's entirely possible for the test center to just take a dump on Prometric's rules as soon as they leave the building, and you may expect to see them removed from the list of test centers in a while if it keeps up and people are honest on the post-test survey. The fac I went to had lockers for my stuff, reminded me about my phone, actually compared my ID signatures, cameras above every cubicle and a big glass wall facing the receptionist. They also had a huge gallery of "look at all these certs we offer here" from Oracle, CompTIA, etc so they definitely went all-out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The testing centers that I've been to at Universities/Community Colleges tend to be much more by the book/professional feeling than the for-profit testing centers at technical training businesses.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XakEp posted:

I think some info about OSCP (http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/) should be added to the OP. There's a number of good certs on that site, but just having Sec+ and CISSP for security isn't enough.

Great OP tho. Haven't looked it over for ages.

One of the security guys at my job just suggested this when I asked about the CISSP. He says it's great for getting passed HR but no one else here cared that he had once he started, they were more impressed by his ability to actually do things. OSCP and CEH were on his list of fun and usually useful security certs to go for. I'm currently on the hell desk with my Sec/Net+ looking for a way out/up.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

psydude posted:

https://www.pearsonvue.com

You have to find a testing center.

Yeah, that was probably a stupid question. I can go to the same New Horizons center I was going to take the A+ exam at. Thanks!

Should there be any worries about employers seeing that I don't have the base A+ / Net+ certs if I go straight for CCENT if I start looking for entry-level network jobs?

Also, how long do Cisco certs last before they expire?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Should there be any worries about employers seeing that I don't have the base A+ / Net+ certs if I go straight for CCENT if I start looking for entry-level network jobs?

Nah. By all accounts the CCENT (and obviously CCNA) is more in-depth and challenging than N+ so it just shows you're ahead of the curve. And any company that requires its net engineers to hold an A+ is clearly insane.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, that was probably a stupid question. I can go to the same New Horizons center I was going to take the A+ exam at. Thanks!

Also, how long do Cisco certs last before they expire?

The Associate though the Professional level certs are good for 36 months, the Specializations are good for 24 months (which is not true, Cisco does lie at times), and to maintain active CCIE status, every 24-months you have to pass at least the written exam.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Charles Martel posted:

How long do Cisco certs last before they expire?

3 years

edit: 749, This is me-->:downsbravo:

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 20, 2013

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

keseph posted:

It's entirely possible for the test center to just take a dump on Prometric's rules as soon as they leave the building, and you may expect to see them removed from the list of test centers in a while if it keeps up and people are honest on the post-test survey.

This brings up a good hypothetical question - if a testing center were to be investigated by Prometric/Pearson and found to be lacking in their enforcement of seemingly obvious stuff like "confiscate personal electronics" and "supervise candidates", could the vendor come back and retroactively invalidate tests taken at that particular facility?

psydude posted:

The testing centers that I've been to at Universities/Community Colleges tend to be much more by the book/professional feeling than the for-profit testing centers at technical training businesses.
I had a student job at one of my university's testing centers, and all of our centers were designed first and foremost to serve the students and keep our courses reasonably free of cheating, with the certification testing often done as an afterthought. So when you think about it, it's in the best interests of universities and colleges to run a tight ship with their testing centers - any dishonesty there translates directly into the academic success of their students and the reputation of their degree programs. Contrast this with for-profit companies who could probably give two shits less about the value of the certifications, as long as they've got people lining up to shell out thousands for their week-long boot camps.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

rock2much posted:

One of the security guys at my job just suggested this when I asked about the CISSP. He says it's great for getting passed HR but no one else here cared that he had once he started, they were more impressed by his ability to actually do things. OSCP and CEH were on his list of fun and usually useful security certs to go for. I'm currently on the hell desk with my Sec/Net+ looking for a way out/up.

CEH isn't terribly useful but OSCP is awesome. If you want to learn the ins and outs of hacking it is the one you want. You had better know your networking and systems as well as basic programming and scripting. It's the real thing.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
I passed the 70-411 today with an 866. I am seriously pleased because that one was not easy. Now I know more about the event viewer than I ever thought I would.

Also remember LSDOU. It's the order of group processing. Local, site, domain, OU. I still don't get order of enforced GPOs after that but still.

Chivas Aribas! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 20, 2013

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Took Solarwinds cert this week "cold", no study at all. Still managed to pass =D. I've used it a lot, and honestly the test is more on the network engineering / protocol side than it is on Solarwidns specific stuff.

Studied for BCNP the rest of the week and took it this Friday, passed as well. Got the partner requirement met for our company. Found BCNP much harder than BCNE, but it still was easy in comparison to CCNP exams. Questions are less tricky, all question include 1 or 2 incredibly wrong answers which makes guessing possible if you have a good background.

Never done 2 certs in the same week before, feels good man. Gonna take a break from all the studying lately to catch up with some sidetracked projects at work. Then going after the CCDA/CCDP.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone here recommend studying for the 70-687 (Windows 8) instead of the 70-680 (Windows 7)? I see that the 70-680 is getting discontinued in January 2014.

Also:

Microsoft posted:

NOTE: The MCITP certification will be discontinued/unable to be earned as of January 31, 2014. The certification will remain on the transcript for those that earn the certification prior to January 31, 2004
:laugh:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

What's the process for renewing a Cisco cert once it's expired?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Swink posted:

What's the process for renewing a Cisco cert once it's expired?
You need to completely start over with the CCNA track.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Chivas Aribas! posted:

I passed the 70-411 today with an 866. I am seriously pleased because that one was not easy. Now I know more about the event viewer than I ever thought I would.

Also remember LSDOU. It's the order of group processing. Local, site, domain, OU. I still don't get order of enforced GPOs after that but still.

Man, that's not bad - I remember cramming the hell out of GPO processing, loopbacks, inheritance, etc. for the 2k3 exams. The 2k8 and 2k12 upgrade exam preo books didn't hyperfocus on them.

Although the 2012 exam takers might wanna either cram hard and take the exams before R2, or hold off until more prep materials come out: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...bid=sNjUPO2CgoI

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Oh man, one week left until my PMP exam. I'm gettin around 78-82% on practice questions and exams but man I still feel like I'm just going to get the testing center and just sort of :stare: at the screen for 4hrs and fail. poo poo is nerve racking

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I'm scheduled to sit for 640-822 on Thursday. I can subnet like mad, have been running labs until it feels tedious, and regularly get anywhere between 80-90% on the Boson practice tests that come with the Cisco Press books. Anyone have any last minute study tips? I feel well prepared but at the same time terrified that I'm going to completely bomb the test.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm finally taking the 640-22 exam on Friday myself. I've done nothing but lab and study this week and last week. I'm in the same scoring range myself and feel the same way. I'm trying not to think about it too much.

What I plan to do as soon I sit down at the testing center is to write down last the 16 subnet masks by prefix and decimal notation as well as the increment. It takes me too long sometimes to figure what something like /21 is my head and no time to risk errors. I'm also going to write down the powers of 2 up to 12 or so for those questions that ask how about maximum hosts or subnets.

Good luck to you though! Hopefully by this time Friday we'll both have passed.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm finally taking the 640-22 exam on Friday myself. I've done nothing but lab and study this week and last week. I'm in the same scoring range myself and feel the same way. I'm trying not to think about it too much.

What I plan to do as soon I sit down at the testing center is to write down last the 16 subnet masks by prefix and decimal notation as well as the increment. It takes me too long sometimes to figure what something like /21 is my head and no time to risk errors. I'm also going to write down the powers of 2 up to 12 or so for those questions that ask how about maximum hosts or subnets.

Good call on the masks in prefix and decimal notation. I had already planned to write out the powers of two, but that seems like a good addition as well.

Good luck to you as well!

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I wrote them out for icnd1 but only referred to them AFTER deciding on an answer. I think that confirmation actually sped me up.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good textbook or study material for JNCIA-Junos JN0-101? A lot of prep guides I've seen on Amazon were published almost 10 years ago.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone familiar with Microsoft Dynamics AX certs? I was just looking at jobs that require this and the pay is off the charts. I've been working as a windows/linux sysadmin hybrid for the last 6 years and my pay seems to be pretty stale. Could I just get the cert for this and walk into one of these jobs?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Dynamics as a dev or as a sysadmin?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Dynamics as a dev or as a sysadmin?
Either/or. I think I could learn asp.net for $120/hr on a multi-year contract.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
I worked in a MSP that did tailored Dynamics CRM and Great Plains solutions, and being a sysadmin/infrastructure engineer for these was not complicated, and I did it without Dynamics certs. The real money for these products is definitely in the dev side.

Even more money, once you get on board with a company that pumps these out, is to move to consulting and PMing for them. The downside is, being a coder for one sucks, as it is production line factory coding.

The plus to working in-house for an org with a Dynamics solution is that you can own the thing and get really highly technical. The downside is that it is pidgeon-holey, and you won't make that $120/hr off the bat.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

VR Cowboy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good textbook or study material for JNCIA-Junos JN0-101? A lot of prep guides I've seen on Amazon were published almost 10 years ago.

The current JNCIA-Junos PDFs are a bit hard to find. They made the jncia WAY easier a bit back, so the 500 page books are too much information. You should look for the 2 part PDF that are titled JNCIA-Junos Study Guide—Part 1 and 2. I also recommend the "Junos as a second language" if you are not very familiar with juniper yet.

e: pm'd you a download link, since they seem to be hard to locate on the juniper site.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm finally taking the 640-822 exam on Friday myself. I've done nothing but lab and study this week and last week. I'm in the same scoring range myself and feel the same way. I'm trying not to think about it too much.

That's what I did on my second go around, it helped a bit for me but not enough to pass.

I only found out yesterday though I was taking by mistake the harder 100-101 test which would partially explain why I failed twice since I didn't look at EIGRP or OSPF related material until this week while reviewing the test in my head. At least I wasn't too late to sign up to take the easier ones.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Just to confirm, the old-style ICND1 exam code on Pearson Vue's website is the 640-822? And is the old ICND2 640-816?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Just to confirm, the old-style ICND1 exam code on Pearson Vue's website is the 640-822? And is the old ICND2 640-816?

That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Passed my ICND1 today, 50 questions...950/1000! Now moving on to ICND2, gotta finish before October.