Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I have no idea what other songs TasoFro could add to the game. Stage themes for the player characters? Legacy tracks from IaMP/HT?

From the titles of the tracks, the implication is that the music will change based on popularity. Like, someone hits 100% and their theme song starts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kheldragar posted:

I'll never believe that Mima is dead.

Technically she's been dead from the beginning.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Clarste posted:

From the titles of the tracks, the implication is that the music will change based on popularity. Like, someone hits 100% and their theme song starts up.

That sounds very cool. Too bad hitting 100% is practically impossible outside of Practice.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Technically she's been dead from the beginning.

She might be dead, but her memory will live on in the PC-98 fans like me who would just wish that ZUN would turn his head back on the past and notice the old games' existance again. Or I could do the logical thing and give up all hope of her ever returning in any form not fan-related.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

BlitzBlast posted:

That sounds very cool. Too bad hitting 100% is practically impossible outside of Practice.

Hitting 100% isn't too hard since the latest patch for whatever reason. When I don't play like poo poo, I can usually get it before the end of a match in vs Com.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Kheldragar posted:

She might be dead, but her memory will live on in the PC-98 fans like me who would just wish that ZUN would turn his head back on the past and notice the old games' existance again. Or I could do the logical thing and give up all hope of her ever returning in any form not fan-related.

I think there would be less hope if Alice and Yuuka weren't resurrected with no warning or explanation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, 100% is just an arbitrary number that made sense to me. The only info we have is that there are a number of tracks on the OST with "Popularity Boom" in their names.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldragar posted:

I'll never believe that Mima is dead; I'll keep listening to Reincarnation over and over again until she comes back.

Am I the only one who wonders if Reincarnation is literally the only reason that people seem to obsess over Mima so much? I mean sheesh. So she has an awesome theme in the one PC-98 game that like five people actually remember favorably. :jerkbag:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Am I the only one who wonders if Reincarnation is literally the only reason that people seem to obsess over Mima so much? I mean sheesh. So she has an awesome theme in the one PC-98 game that like five people actually remember favorably. :jerkbag:

Honestly, I only said Reincarnation because its name kind of fits in with the whole, "I want Mima to come back!" thing. If we're going to want to obsess over characters for their theme, then Sariel and Yumemi would definately be higher on my list than Mima. She's not even my favourite character by far, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see her comback even if it was just a cameo. There's not much to go about reasons for liking a character other than their looks and maybe a quirk or two about who they are. Why has my favourite character been Koishi for the longest time now? Just because.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here and say ZUN should keep making entirely new characters for new games and that wanting new games to be populated with old characters is hella dumb.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just make a game where Reimu is cloned and every character and boss is Reimu.

Also include rumia as the stage 1 midboss just cause rumia is amazing.

\/\/I can see you and I are gonna be falling out.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 25, 2013

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here and say ZUN should keep making entirely new characters for new games and that wanting new games to be populated with old characters is hella dumb.
It's almost as if the existing characters are popular and have a strong fan community based around them.

Though more games where Reimu, the most popular and most recurring character of all, took a back drat seat every now and then would be nice

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 25, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

How well do you guys "adapt" or, rather, start to like new characters anyways? The fact that I haven't been around for that many new games notwithstanding, am I the only one who takes an extremelly long time to even call them a Touhou character in spirit rather than from the moment a new game is released?

There will be no rest for Reimu; she needs to try harder to keep those donations rolling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally, I start obsessing over them around the time they're a silhouette on the box. Which is to say I instantly accept them. Actually, I'm more likely to consider older characters "not Touhou in spirit", especially ones like Rumia and Meiling who don't have any explanation of what they are or how they fit into the setting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

Personally, I start obsessing over them around the time they're a silhouette on the box. Which is to say I instantly accept them. Actually, I'm more likely to consider older characters "not Touhou in spirit", especially ones like Rumia and Meiling who don't have any explanation of what they are or how they fit into the setting.

I thought all characters from stages one and two, and maybe even three, were completely irrelevant to the plot of the game. At least Meiling has some connection in being the gatekeeper rather than Rumia who was just there at the time - much like the rest of the stage one and two characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I thought all characters from stages one and two, and maybe even three, were completely irrelevant to the plot of the game. At least Meiling has some connection in being the gatekeeper rather than Rumia who was just there at the time - much like the rest of the stage one and two characters.

I wasn't really talking about the plot, although I could start rambling about that too if you like. Basically, the way I see it is that the first few bosses establish the tone and the mood of the game. Rumia is a completely generic youkai who acts like a generic youkai and nothing else: she wants to eat you. Letty establishes the winter theme, Wriggle and Mystia loudly proclaim "we're in the middle of the night this time", the Akis' autumn theme, Yamame and Kisume being Underground thugs, etc etc.

Anyway, when I said "how they fit into the setting" I mostly meant "what kind of youkai are they?" Gensokyo is fundamentally a collection of different mythological monsters, so it's weird to see a youkai who's just... a youkai. Youkai of youkai-ness. I guess in the most charitable interpretation Meiling could be considered a youkai of Chinese Stereotypes or something, but Rumia has no origin or backstory or really anything other than being a generic youkai. It's just lazy, and it's easy to see the contrast with ZUN's later works. Yukari suffers a similar problem, but I suppose it's more plausible that she's actually a youkai of youkai-ness.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Anyway, when I said "how they fit into the setting" I mostly meant "what kind of youkai are they?" Gensokyo is fundamentally a collection of different mythological monsters, so it's weird to see a youkai who's just... a youkai. Youkai of youkai-ness. I guess in the most charitable interpretation Meiling could be considered a youkai of Chinese Stereotypes or something, but Rumia has no origin or backstory or really anything other than being a generic youkai. It's just lazy, and it's easy to see the contrast with ZUN's later works. Yukari suffers a similar problem, but I suppose it's more plausible that she's actually a youkai of youkai-ness.

I think you're thinking way too much into it dude. It's just a shmup, not a visual novel. Just play the games drink some booze have some fun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

I think you're thinking way too much into it dude. It's just a shmup, not a visual novel. Just play the games drink some booze have some fun.

I'm just comparing it to ZUN's later works. It's pretty obvious that he does his research and has a lot of fun exploring weird ideas like Prince Shoutoku being an evil Taoist. Seriously, ZUN's hobbies are drinking beer and reading historical documents. He's fanboyed over famous Japanese historians several times.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Volt Catfish posted:

That may be, but there is a ton of underlying lore that goes with all of it that makes far more than a shmup. If anyone thought way much into it, it's ZUN himself.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Takoluka posted:

That may be, but there is a ton of underlying lore that goes with all of it that makes far more than a shmup. If anyone thought way much into it, it's ZUN himself.

Holy gently caress you guys stop sperging about shmups and play more shmups.

In fact it looks like I have been the only productive rear end in a top hat here yet again and played shmups. Even better, today I cleared the Great Fairy Wars Extra Stage for the first time! It was pretty intense, because it was my first time getting to Marisa's final card as well, and with no extra lives to boot, but thanks to my incredible and also handsome skills I managed to win anyway.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=29468

This makes the final Extra Stage that mattered* I still had to beat, so I officially mastered Touhou. Nevermind I have yet to 1cc any of the games on Hard or Lunatic or anything, I am officially the best now.

*meaning only Touhou 6 and up, and excluding Touhou 9 and the photography games. So you know, only the games anyone actually cares about.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

*meaning only Touhou 6 and up, and excluding Touhou 9 and the photography games. So you know, only the games anyone actually cares about.

You sit your rear end down and beat PoFV Extra this instant. :colbert:

Seriously though, 9 has probably the easiest Extra in the series. The AI is dumb as a bag of bricks so it's really just a matter of outlasting the timer, and the ridiculous score bonuses you get mean you'll quickly be sitting on a pile of extra lives that'll let you brute force any tough spots. Add on to how you have to play as two of the best characters right from the word go, and you have an incredibly easy experience. And that's ignoring the hilariously cheap pacifism strategy.

Basically if you can beat GFW Extra, you sure as hell can beat PoFV.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Well, if you want us to play the games, then I'll play a game. I was originally going to see how far I could get in PCB after weeks of not playing an ounce of Touhou, but I somehow screwed up the controls for my PS3 controller. The analog stick doesn't move how it's supposed to; it's more like the d-pad where I can't really control how fast I'm moving and in every direction I am moving. It's more like the keyboard where I'm either moving or not moving and I only have four basic directions, so I decided to just go back to Mystic Square. I hope that's okay. Once you start playing Touhou with a controller, you never really go back or want to.

Mystic Square has reminded me two things I hate about it even though it's my favourite game. One is something that all of the PC-98 games share in common in that before a boss random bullets will spawn and you'll have to dodge them as if it was a good idea in the first place. The second is that this game suffers from the worst, "I CAN'T SEE A drat THING ON THIS BACKGROUND" that I have ever seen in a game. Stage 4 is the worst, but the parts where you're flying around a space background aren't that much better. I'm by no means the best Touhou player - far from it. This is as far as I got without using a continue. I don't doubt that I could've gotton to Shinki, and maybe beaten her, if I had used the rest of the continues, but it wouldn't feel right.

Someday I hope to be as good as you. I died to a midboss. :negative:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 26, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

real edit: ^^^^ Well, you're playing on Lunatic. Generally Extra difficulty lies somewhere between Normal and Extra despite what the description of Extra leads you to believe. I have yet to make it to a stage 4 in any of the game on Lunatic, so.

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically if you can beat GFW Extra, you sure as hell can beat PoFV.

That is literally the opposite of my experience. The AI being dumb is irrelevant because, as you said, it's all based on a timer and to do that I actually have to just twitch-dodge a ton of random bullets. I never managed to figure out how scoring works either so I only get three lives at best, and god knows Reimu and Eiki Shiki get ridiculous enough that that's not enough for me. And the fact that you have the best characters is also incredibly pointless because the AI just doesn't care due to the timer, and Komachi and Shiki Eiki don't exactly have notably incredible hit boxes or movement speeds.

But worst of all I just don't enjoy PoFV. I just don't get any positive feedback out of it. With the more traditional games, even when I fail I can at least tell I am making progress on stages and bosses. With PoFV, it just feels like a gauntlet of generic fairies with the occasional boss character showing up for a couple seconds, while I am too focused on my side of the screen that I can't really tell how I am doing against my opponent. I can never really tell if I am doing particularly better or worse in any given run and that's just hella discouraging. And the cherry of the top of this is that I am essentially just complaining about the single player mode of a competitive game that nobody wants to play anymore.

For comparison, Great Fairy Wars might just be my least favourite normal-ish Touhou game, but I still got that feeling of progress, so when I tried it again a couple of days ago and got to the same card of Marisa's I got months before with less hassle, I already feel encouraged, and when I got to the next spellcard after a couple more tries I get that feeling of "I am getting better at this, I can do this", a feeling I sorely lack in PoFV even the times I make it as far as Reimu or Eiki Shiki.

fake-edit: tl;dr some scrub's feelings on touhou games.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 26, 2013

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Which character and shot type has the easiest time dealing with Patchouli in EoSD? I've been trying to clear that one for ages but I always end up loving up on her fight and losing way more lives than I should, so I figure I should focus on practicing with the easier one for a while.

I also managed to 1cc Ten Desires yesterday, Miko's cards all seemed pretty straightforward compared to other the other bosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

For comparison, Great Fairy Wars might just be my least favourite normal-ish Touhou game,

Are you aware the best characters in the series, Sunny Milk, Luna Child and Star Sapphire are in this game, duck?

vvv Are you aware there's no Needle REIMU In Ten Desires?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 26, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

^^^^ In TD Needle Reimu is combined with the inferior but still decent Homing Reimu, creating the one and only Ultimate Perfect Reimu, so that still counts.

Fighting Falken posted:

Which character and shot type has the easiest time dealing with Patchouli in EoSD?

The correct choice is Needle Reimu regardless of game or difficulty.

Actually I only ever use Needle Reimu so I dunno if she has Patchouli's easiest spell cards or not, but I remember them being pretty straight forward and doable except for the first one, Water Sign "Undine" or whatever. Still, though, I don't feel you can go wrong with Needle Reimu. Well maybe except in PCB where she is slow as molasses and Sakuya is brokenly powerful, but aside from that, you know.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 26, 2013

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

^^^^ In TD Needle Reimu is combined with the inferior but still decent Homing Reimu, creating the one and only Ultimate Perfect Reimu, so that still counts.

The correct choice is Needle Reimu regardless of game or difficulty.

Actually I only ever use Needle Reimu so I dunno if she has Patchouli's easiest spell cards or not, but I remember them being pretty straight forward and doable except for the first one, Water Sign "Undine" or whatever. Still, though, I don't feel you can go wrong with Needle Reimu. Well maybe except in PCB where she is slow as molasses and Sakuya is brokenly powerful, but aside from that, you know.

Please explain how Sakuya is brokenly powerful. I wanna do a PCB run soon, but it's been a while, and I don't really remember the difference between the shot types.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Well, Sakuya in PCB has two shot-types that have wide spread that deals with stage potions easily when unfocused and narrow fire when focused that works well on bosses. Between Sakuya-A and Sakuya-B, the latter is probably the trickier but more powerful one, since it relies on basically waving your knives around by moving left and right to make short work of stages and requires correctly adjusting it for focus fire for bosses, but I still prefer it for its higher firepower. Plus, Sakuya gets four bombs instead of three per life, so if you make full use of your resources you can live longer with her.

I think she also gets Cherry Borders the quickest, but that might be Reimu, I'm not sure. Either way, while "brokenly powerful" is an exaggeration, I still feel she's the most beginner-friendly character in PCB.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

The AI being dumb is irrelevant because, as you said, it's all based on a timer and to do that I actually have to just twitch-dodge a ton of random bullets.

Extra starts you off with a full spell meter for a reason. Spam the hell out of your L2! It'll give you space to move, jack up your score, and (due to the ridiculous bullet density) also refill your spell meter a ton.

quote:

I never managed to figure out how scoring works either so I only get three lives at best

Get a big combo going and drop L2's whenever a huge mass of bullets pops up. Which, since Extra jacks up the rank, is often!

Or just play on Ultra and spam the gently caress out of L2's all day, every day. I think I had like eight lives by the time I hit stage 7 when I last tried it.

quote:

and god knows Reimu and Eiki Shiki get ridiculous enough that that's not enough for me.

That's when you abuse your lives. Every time you die on a boss, their timer drops. Hell, the game actually expects you to die when you get to Eiki because she starts with like a two minute timer that cuts in half upon death.

quote:

And the fact that you have the best characters is also incredibly pointless because the AI just doesn't care due to the timer, and Komachi and Shiki Eiki don't exactly have notably incredible hit boxes or movement speeds.

No, it totally matters. Komachi's scope activates every spirit on the field, making it really easy to get good combos going, meaning you get a big score, meaning you get a ton of lives. Meanwhile Eiki has the straight up best spell charge speed in the game, an easy to use scope, and an AI killing L4 for when the timer runs out.

quote:

With PoFV, it just feels like a gauntlet of generic fairies with the occasional boss character showing up for a couple seconds, while I am too focused on my side of the screen that I can't really tell how I am doing against my opponent.

Normally I'd just say use your ears, since it's really obvious when the other guy dies, but this is Extra. I dunno, pause the game and take a glance to the right? I've never had any trouble quickly glancing to the right to see the status of the timer so I don't know what to say. v:shobon:v

quote:

And the cherry of the top of this is that I am essentially just complaining about the single player mode of a competitive game that nobody wants to play anymore.

Somebody seems to be forgetting about all the times I've kicked your rear end. :shepface:

EDIT: tl;dr Stop being such a scrub at a game you don't like.

NuclearPotato posted:

Please explain how Sakuya is brokenly powerful. I wanna do a PCB run soon, but it's been a while, and I don't really remember the difference between the shot types.

Sakuya A (I think) is straight up a more powerful Homing Reimu, and Sakuya B is a more flexible (and I think also more powerful) Needle Reimu. There's just no reason to bother with Reimu, and Marisa isn't that much stronger so you don't get much from her either.

V Looks like I'm full of poo poo. I should go replay PCB again, I don't remember any of this anymore.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 26, 2013

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Well, Sakuya in PCB has two shot-types that have wide spread that deals with stage potions easily when unfocused and narrow fire when focused that works well on bosses. Between Sakuya-A and Sakuya-B, the latter is probably the trickier but more powerful one, since it relies on basically waving your knives around by moving left and right to make short work of stages and requires correctly adjusting it for focus fire for bosses, but I still prefer it for its higher firepower. Plus, Sakuya gets four bombs instead of three per life, so if you make full use of your resources you can live longer with her.

I think she also gets Cherry Borders the quickest, but that might be Reimu, I'm not sure. Either way, while "brokenly powerful" is an exaggeration, I still feel she's the most beginner-friendly character in PCB.

I don't know if Sakuya's the best choice for survival. While she's still good, neither version has the sustained damage against bosses that good ol' Needles Reimu offers, and her bombs are underwhelming. Marisa-A gains Cherry the fastest from her shot followed by Reimu-B, so Sakuya's pretty average in that respect unless you do shenanigans with Private Square. All she really offers is utility against stage enemies en masse or in a weird angle.

For scoring she's the best by far though, but scoring in PCB is pretty hardcore all around so I've never done it :v:.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the extra bomb per life is utility enough, survival-wise. She'd have to be pretty damned terrible to make up for that, and as far as I know she isn't. Being able to hit the boss from any part of the screen also adds quite a lot of both boss damage and survivability as you don't need to take as many risks.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Just noticed that Suwako&! 5 and 6 have been translated

http://www.mediafire.com/?9vq8bahdax1dsg8

http://www.mediafire.com/?2lc5c8pbsla1dcj

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Very rarely do I find a Touhou fanvid that legitimately confuses me the way that I've just been confused.

No seriously, what the gently caress is even going on here? :psyduck:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, because it's only filled with internet jokes and such, it's not going to make much sense or be funny to you unless you happen to know Japanese. Just think of it as one of those "many clips of short comedy sketches interupted by television static in between them" type of video.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

It's not THAT confusing. I laughed at the 1up transforming Into a giant robot.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Very rarely do I find a Touhou fanvid that legitimately confuses me the way that I've just been confused.

No seriously, what the gently caress is even going on here? :psyduck:

The guy who makes these usually has a lot more visual jokes. I think this is like the third or fourth one he's made so far?
Anyway, he makes a bunch of amusing or silly scripts, like that one All-Star video or the incredibly unfair level. I don't he's ever released them though.
Anyway here's the playlist if that interests anyone.

a cartoon duck posted:

Holy gently caress you guys stop sperging about shmups and play more shmups.

I don't really get this. I mean there's so much side material and books nowadays. Is it that bad for some people to want to discuss the characters?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

How well do you guys "adapt" or, rather, start to like new characters anyways?

Basically the only post IN character I have accepted into my heart is Parsee.

Clarste posted:

Actually, I'm more likely to consider older characters "not Touhou in spirit", especially ones like Rumia and Meiling who don't have any explanation of what they are or how they fit into the setting.

I don't know about meiling but Rumia's back from the day when youkai represented concepts more. In this case the concept of being amazing total darkness. If she were made nowadays she'd probably be a named fairy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's incredibly obvious what Meiling is: chinese. :china:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, as usual I'm way behind on playing poo poo (10 is still the latest main TH game I've played) and finally got started on GFW. So far it's a lot of fun, but I can't figure out why the default control-scheme has freeze on Z and rapid-fire on C instead of the other way around. Also, more so than other games it feels like the freeze mechanic overly emphasizes learning the stages and makes it hard to beat before doing so, since the game can throw out bullshit that's almost impossible to dodge (well, I'm sure a lunatic player could dodge all this on normal, but...) so you have to know when to charge/freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

HGH posted:

I don't really get this. I mean there's so much side material and books nowadays. Is it that bad for some people to want to discuss the characters?

Talkin bout Touhou the Video Game in ADTRW cuz Games was too good for it.