Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

Go for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double feature since you save $4.99 compared to getting the two separately.

Well, he would only waste four less dollars then.

It's recommend Hari Kari. It has an actor who's in a ton of Kurosawa and its a really interesting political satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, he would only waste four less dollars then.

It's recommend Hari Kari. It has an actor who's in a ton of Kurosawa and its a really interesting political satire.

I'll have to look into that one. Since I have no self control, I ended up with The Samurai Trilogy, The Blob, Three Outlaw Samurai, House, Tokyo Drifter, and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's recommend Hari Kari.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/73359

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Got a part of my 50% off order in (Rashomon, Samurai Trilogy and Brazil) but someone destroyed the Brazil case and took out disc one! Everything else in the shipment was fine and the box didn't even look tampered with. I hope Shoah shows up in one piece :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's definitely something to contact Criterion about, they're usually really good about that sort of thing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Safe Driver posted:

Got a part of my 50% off order in (Rashomon, Samurai Trilogy and Brazil) but someone destroyed the Brazil case and took out disc one! Everything else in the shipment was fine and the box didn't even look tampered with. I hope Shoah shows up in one piece :(

Yeah, contact Criterion about this. I ordered a copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth (an OOP blu-ray) from SA Mart and it had a small crack in the top of it. They sent me a brand new case and insert for nothing on my part. They're really great with stuff like that.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I just finished talking with someone at Barnes and Noble and they offered a full refund and then also credited me the same amount to purchase it again since they cannot do replacements for Canadian orders. That wasn't as painful as I was expecting it to be! It's nice to know that Criterion is like that for their customers though.

VVVV They've done something like that for every order I've ever made from them, they don't list the titles just "DISC" but they put all the prices on the outside which is dumb.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 24, 2013

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Wonder if this had anything to do with them listing the exact content of the box on the outer label. I got my movies today and they listed the movies as clearly as the shipping address, right on front without having to open anything.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rick Deckard posted:

Wonder if this had anything to do with them listing the exact content of the box on the outer label. I got my movies today and they listed the movies as clearly as the shipping address, right on front without having to open anything.

I'm picturing a disgruntled mail carrier who, having recently misplaced disc 1 from his own Brazil Criterion set, reads the outside of Safe Driver's parcel and says "bingo!".

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I now get to dive into the "Love Conquers All" version first!

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Any huge fans of "The Uninvited" can buy the orginal painting for the criterion collection cover here:

http://store.sampaints.com/2013/07/23/the-uninvited/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BarnesandNoble.com posted:

Dear Red,

Unfortunately, the merchandise listed below has been further delayed. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to fulfill your order soon. To keep your order open, we must have your approval for a 30-Day Order Extension. Unfortunately, if we don't get approval from you for the extension within the next 24 hours, we'll have to cancel this part of your order.

To approve a 30-Day Order Extension, follow these easy steps:
1. Go to http://www.barnesandnoble.com/orderstatus/ and enter your email address and order number in the spaces on the left side of the screen.
2. Click on the 'I Still Want This' link next to each item.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay.

Sincerely,
-- Barnes & Noble

To review your order status, click http://www.barnesandnoble.com/orderstatus/

This part of your order has been delayed:

Product Description Qty
The Devil's Backbone 1

:bang:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yeah, B&N sales are always a gamble whether or not you're gonna get your poo poo in a timely manner.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

kaujot posted:

Yeah, B&N sales are always a gamble whether or not you're gonna get your poo poo in a timely manner.

I always go in store for this reason (also I don't think my B&N membership works online for that extra 10% discount).

Been working my way through the BBS box set, really enjoying it so far. Hadn't seen any of the films in there, so hitting a few must sees along with the ones I hadn't heard of.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Samurai trilogy has been so much fun, I really don't want to watch Samurai III and bring it all to an end. :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You know what I love most about Criterion discs (aside from the pristine picture quality)? That the movie itself is only a fraction of the total entertainment I get out of them. The supplements are so thorough and substantial. I watched Safety Last! on one evening, then the next evening I watched the full length documentary on the disc. Then the next evening I watched the short films, listened to the commentaries on each of them, and started the commentary on the main feature. And I've still got more to go.

I know extra features are nothing new, but on most DVDs/Blu-rays they're so fluffy and pointless. Criterion knows how to give us our money's worth.

I'll stop gushing now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

caiman posted:

You know what I love most about Criterion discs (aside from the pristine picture quality)? That the movie itself is only a fraction of the total entertainment I get out of them. The supplements are so thorough and substantial. I watched Safety Last! on one evening, then the next evening I watched the full length documentary on the disc. Then the next evening I watched the short films, listened to the commentaries on each of them, and started the commentary on the main feature. And I've still got more to go.

I know extra features are nothing new, but on most DVDs/Blu-rays they're so fluffy and pointless. Criterion knows how to give us our money's worth.

I'll stop gushing now.

This is the reason I love Criterion - with a few exceptions (like the $30 blus they're doing with no features), I feel like I'm getting a sort of comprehensive package of everything I need to know about a film. The essays are great, and I also appreciate that they're one of the few companies that doesn't just have filmmakers' commentaries, but critic/scholar commentaries as well, which are some of the best to listen to. They take the phrase "curatorial approach" very seriously, and that's what I appreciate most about them.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Sometimes they do, anyway. Sometimes they give us a disc like Jubal (though I imagine the modern-day barebones discs are due more to a lack of accessible resources on the film rather than any intentional oversight)

Edit: Jubal is a great Western that everyone should buy, anyway. Plus it's cheaper than other Criterion blus.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hewlett posted:

This is the reason I love Criterion - with a few exceptions (like the $30 blus they're doing with no features), I feel like I'm getting a sort of comprehensive package of everything I need to know about a film. The essays are great, and I also appreciate that they're one of the few companies that doesn't just have filmmakers' commentaries, but critic/scholar commentaries as well, which are some of the best to listen to. They take the phrase "curatorial approach" very seriously, and that's what I appreciate most about them.

Good point about the commentaries. I'll take film critic/scholar commentaries over the director or actors any day.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kaujot posted:

Sometimes they do, anyway. Sometimes they give us a disc like Jubal (though I imagine the modern-day barebones discs are due more to a lack of accessible resources on the film rather than any intentional oversight)

Edit: Jubal is a great Western that everyone should buy, anyway. Plus it's cheaper than other Criterion blus.

From what I've read, they're doing the occasional barebones releases to keep prices down to make them more accessible for more frugal film nerds/increase sales. I do want to pick up Jubal, and I did pick up Ballad of Narayama, which is another barebones release.

caiman posted:

Good point about the commentaries. I'll take film critic/scholar commentaries over the director or actors any day.

Yeah, it's almost like having your own little film lecture class in your living room. The best commentaries I've listened to on Criterion are the two on the Godzilla Blu for both versions of the film. The commentator does a great job discussing the history and importance of each film, and there's a great enthusiasm there that makes you want to keep listening. He even makes a great case for the re-editing/insertion of Raymond Burr in Godzilla, King of the Monsters being a really interesting artistic choice.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 25, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

double post

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, it's almost like having your own little film lecture class in your living room. The best commentaries I've listened to on Criterion are the two on the Godzilla Blu for both versions of the film. The commentator does a great job discussing the history and importance of each film, and there's a great enthusiasm there that makes you want to keep listening. He even makes a great case for the re-editing/insertion of Raymond Burr in Godzilla, King of the Monsters being a really interesting artistic choice.

Listening to the scholar track on Seven Samurai is the primary reason I admire Kurosawa so much. It was like taking a college course.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
My favorite Stephen Prince commentary (besides Seven Samurai) is the one he did for Straw Dogs.

Wish Criterion could get the license for that back (and Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia)

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Hell yes! I watched Godzilla a few nights ago after picking it up during the B&N sale, and then watched Godzilla, King of the Monsters with the commentary track on. It was one of the best commentaries they've ever put out.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
You guys are really tempting me to go out and buy more CC DVDs, and I've already plunged $60 into buying four of them this month....

Why can't my department cut me my stipend check BEFORE the end of the sale?

Also, I'm so happy I picked up Badlands thanks to the huge recommendation this thread gave it. That movie was amazing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

caiman posted:

I normally agree with this with the exception of the Arthur Agee/William Gates commentary on Hoop Dreams.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I really like the Steven Soderbergh track for The Third Man, but he does good commentaries in general. I enjoyed when he and the other commentator pointed out such details as "the characters aren't looking away from each other when they talk" and "she leaves all her bags on the train" which always bothered me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Samurai trilogy has been so much fun, I really don't want to watch Samurai III and bring it all to an end. :(

Samurai III doesn't want to end, either. The whole thing is a buildup to the gorgeous final duel. It, the rainstorm fight, and the final duel in Sanjuro are among my favorite cinema samurai fights.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

kaujot posted:

My favorite Stephen Prince commentary (besides Seven Samurai) is the one he did for Straw Dogs.

Wish Criterion could get the license for that back (and Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia)

Just chiming in to agree that his commentary for Straw Dogs is incredible. It's the gold standard to which I hold up all other DVD commentaries. It completely changed how I saw the film, and for the better as well. It's a shame it went out of print. Prince also did one for Peckinpah's Cross of Iron, which was also really good.

Also, pretty much every commentary for Kurosawa is great as well. I think Peeping Tom and Tokyo Story had pretty solid ones as well.

The supplements are, for me and as others have stated, what makes Criterions worth the money.

In addition to Criterion, Arrow Films releases have buckets of extras. They specialize more in cult/horror films, but if you are looking for getting some Dario Argento it's hard to beat. They are based in the UK, but I believe a good portion of their releases are region free and you can find them on amazon.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Asnorban posted:

I always go in store for this reason (also I don't think my B&N membership works online for that extra 10% discount).

Been working my way through the BBS box set, really enjoying it so far. Hadn't seen any of the films in there, so hitting a few must sees along with the ones I hadn't heard of.

I love this set, although A Safe Place is loving terrible. Although A Safe Place is strange because despite being the worst movie, it certainly has the best single moment throughout the set: Orson Welles intently staring down zoo animals and telling them to "disappear."

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
For those of you looking for a random Eclipse set to take a plunge on, I just watched the first film in the Jean Gremillon set, Remorques (Stormy Waters), and the set is worth buying for it alone. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen in my life. It does more in 84 minutes than I ever thought could be done. Perfect blend of action, romance, tragedy, drama. This was my first Gremillon film and my jaw is stuck to the floor right now. Can't wait to watch the other two.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

codyclarke posted:

For those of you looking for a random Eclipse set to take a plunge on, I just watched the first film in the Jean Gremillon set, Remorques (Stormy Waters), and the set is worth buying for it alone.

Appreciate the recommendation! Thank you as this is one I've never heard discussed as far as I can remember.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

codyclarke posted:

For those of you looking for a random Eclipse set to take a plunge on, I just watched the first film in the Jean Gremillon set, Remorques (Stormy Waters), and the set is worth buying for it alone. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen in my life. It does more in 84 minutes than I ever thought could be done. Perfect blend of action, romance, tragedy, drama. This was my first Gremillon film and my jaw is stuck to the floor right now. Can't wait to watch the other two.
Funny, a more accurate translation of the title would be Towropes, which should resonate with you. I was really impressed with as well, it reminded me of another one of my favorite films, Only Angels Have Wings.

I've seen four of Grémillon's films now, and as far as direction is concerned, he's as good as any other director from that period. Absolutely world-class.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

a radii hike posted:

Funny, a more accurate translation of the title would be Towropes, which should resonate with you. I was really impressed with as well, it reminded me of another one of my favorite films, Only Angels Have Wings.

I've seen four of Grémillon's films now, and as far as direction is concerned, he's as good as any other director from that period. Absolutely world-class.

Haha, wow. I love when I hear the actual translation of a title and it's phenomenally better. I remember when I learned Bin Jip doesn't even mean 3-Iron, it means Empty House, I was floored. Title went from terrible to brilliant instantly.

Never saw Angels, I'll check that one out soon. Thanks for the rec!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

joy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I saw that earlier, it looks like they're really going all-out on the Rays, which makes sense because they're probably the first people to ever attempt a remaster.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fantastic. I have the release by Artificial Eye, which I thought was passable. This Criterion version makes it look like absolute sludge.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

The difference between the newspapers is alone is amazing. I'll have to check this one out.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

All right guys, new Criterion doodle:

Thoughts? I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
CF forum guys are saying Nashville, and that makes perfect sense. (Grand Old Osprey)

It also makes me the happiest I think I have ever been.