Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

visuvius posted:

Anyone experiencing general slowness with Newsgroupdirect last few days? I can't seem to break 950 Kbps on anything, and of course theres the fact that tons of stuff is missing. I guess I need to try a backup server?

I pay $15 for Supernews and Newsdemon, and I couldn't be happier. Well, maybe, but I am very satisfied. I've not heard of NGD - what access group are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Highwinds. I haven't noticed a difference but my internet service is well below 950KBps.

They're offering $5/month for unlimited and VPN for another $4.
http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet-deal

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Ah, I see. I got a NewsDemon deal that was $5/month, and between that and SuperNews ($10/month) I have both GigaNews and UNS Holdings, so I have more or less perfect completion. There are some exceptions, but not many that I've encountered.

e: I have heard some complaints about Highwinds completion recently, so it might just be going to poo poo.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
For what it's worth, I believe UNS Holdings is Highwinds.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
For those of you using headphones, he added an internal indexer for VIP users. So if you paid for the VIP upgrade, update and you should have an indexer that might not be banned with headphones like every other indexer seems to be.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
So I've decided to write the command-line searching tool (working name "manhunt"). I'll be sure to keep you guys updated, I should have a working version in at most a couple days. Right now I'm focusing on newznab indexers, so that covers nzbs.org and goonzb (if that's even still a thing).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

For those of you using headphones, he added an internal indexer for VIP users. So if you paid for the VIP upgrade, update and you should have an indexer that might not be banned with headphones like every other indexer seems to be.

I'm trying, but I can't find a single bit of info about any of this anywhere. Nothing's on github, I had no idea there was a VIP anything. I've been using the thing pretty much since day 1, there's some significant thing here that's not being communicated very well i think.

ganstarr
Sep 5, 2012

meh, this is easy

ambushsabre posted:

So I've decided to write the command-line searching tool (working name "manhunt"). I'll be sure to keep you guys updated, I should have a working version in at most a couple days. Right now I'm focusing on newznab indexers, so that covers nzbs.org and goonzb (if that's even still a thing).

This sounds awesome, if it is possible to include a "send to sab" function in it that would put it over the top.

On a different note, you all know how you hate having to remotely upload nzbs to your sabnzbd (when its not hosted on your computer)?

For the last couple of months I've been using a nifty program that I got off a friendly soul online that enables you to enter your sabnzbd adress/etc and it will upload nzbs to it. It's just a program that makes my day using usenet slightly easier. Just set your nzbs to be opened with the program once you've entered the settings. Hassle free.

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/ede4bf24 <- Download link.
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/87e823d3264e280c81e522d4477c6e9936d5ee93b6188c5bd619538373ad037a/analysis/1374529016/ <- Virustotal scan 0/47

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where are you downloading NZBs from that one of the browser based SabNZB extensions doesn't work? Those put a button right on the webpage to click that will send it to SABNZB, no need for the nzb file to ever even touch my computer.

ganstarr
Sep 5, 2012

meh, this is easy

FISHMANPET posted:

Where are you downloading NZBs from that one of the browser based SabNZB extensions doesn't work? Those put a button right on the webpage to click that will send it to SABNZB, no need for the nzb file to ever even touch my computer.

Sure it has really gotten better, true that. I just noticed that it had gotten support for omgwtfnzbs.
Most recently I used it for my locally hosted NZBmegasearcH.

What sabnzb extension is the best nowadays for chrome? Using Sabconnect++

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

ganstarr posted:

This sounds awesome, if it is possible to include a "send to sab" function in it that would put it over the top.

Yeah I'm building it specifically to do this. I'm not even sure I'm going to include an option to download nzbs without just sending them right to sab, since the api makes it so easy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ganstarr posted:

Sure it has really gotten better, true that. I just noticed that it had gotten support for omgwtfnzbs.
Most recently I used it for my locally hosted NZBmegasearcH.

What sabnzb extension is the best nowadays for chrome? Using Sabconnect++

That's the one I'm using too. I'd never heard of NZGmegasearcH, so I looked it up, and found this screenshot, which makes it look like sabconnect++ should work with it:

Maybe put your NZBmegasearcH URL into the list of custom providers in the Sabconnect++ settings?

ganstarr
Sep 5, 2012

meh, this is easy

FISHMANPET posted:

That's the one I'm using too. I'd never heard of NZGmegasearcH, so I looked it up, and found this screenshot, which makes it look like sabconnect++ should work with it:

Maybe put your NZBmegasearcH URL into the list of custom providers in the Sabconnect++ settings?

Yeah, I looked it up too, and it appears that it has sabnzbd integration, just needed the API key. Looks like I missed it.

So yeah, I just promoted a fairly unnecessary program. Well, I'll leave the links up, someone somewhere might still have a use for it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any way to run Sickbeard for content management but not automatically download anything?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there any way to run Sickbeard for content management but not automatically download anything?

You can just mark shows not active after adding them using "Pause" IIRC.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I have found that for some reason, if I use the automatic download using Binsearch with SabNZB, it will download a slice of something completely random. Using the downloaded NZB works just fine.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Just make the parent queue folder a network share and save the nzb. Five seconds later, it starts downloading with the correct category applied.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
for headphones edit searcher.py and change the THREE separate instances of user_agent strings to something normal. it really is programmed like rear end and got banned for good reason but whatever.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Morkai posted:

for headphones edit searcher.py and change the THREE separate instances of user_agent strings to something normal. it really is programmed like rear end and got banned for good reason but whatever.

Even if you change the user agent it'll probably get your account banned pretty quick once it starts hammering a site where Headphones isn't welcome.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Keito posted:

Even if you change the user agent it'll probably get your account banned pretty quick once it starts hammering a site where Headphones isn't welcome.

I've been doing it for months now on NZB.su, they can't bitch too much as long as you're not exceeding your daily API requests. also turn down the search frequency helps

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Morkai posted:

Can you expand on this? I don't know enough Python to be sure of what to do.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you expand on this? I don't know enough Python to be sure of what to do.

it's a string literal, just replace what's inside the quotes with something from another browser.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent

alted2
May 3, 2003

visuvius posted:

Anyone experiencing general slowness with Newsgroupdirect last few days? I can't seem to break 950 Kbps on anything, and of course theres the fact that tons of stuff is missing. I guess I need to try a backup server?

I just signed up on the $5/month plan and I'm getting my normal max speed around 5 MBps.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FCKGW posted:

Newsdemon is a Highwinds reseller, Supernews is Giganews so no.

Oh hey, that diagram isn't correct anymore, in at least one aspect;
I used sunnyusenet until a week ago, but didn't bother renewing as I noticed their servers were all simply pointed to highwinds. Thus, they're not really an NL supplier, just a highwinds reseller, and therefore useless to me for filling missing articles.

And after I learned Dutch just to sign up...

Anyone know a real NL based usent host?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Morkai posted:

I've been doing it for months now on NZB.su, they can't bitch too much as long as you're not exceeding your daily API requests. also turn down the search frequency helps

The admin for NZB.su said Headphones is blacklisted until they sort their code out to be a tad more elegant when checking for new releases (mainly caching what it's already searched)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New version of Nzbdrone is released, you will need to manually download and set up everything again, however.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

So I got a very very rough-around-the-edges version of my command line newznab searcher / downloader working, called manhunt.py

Everything is explained on the github page, I doubt anyone will really want to use it since there's hardly any sort of error-handling and if everything isn't setup right it'll just crash, but I used it this morning to find some stuff from last night and it was really nice. I'll probably keep working on it in my spare time, but maybe someone can find a use for it right now.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

kri kri posted:

New version of Nzbdrone is released, you will need to manually download and set up everything again, however.

I have been using it for a week or two now. Quite an upgrade from the old version, much prettier and far faster.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Came to ask whether anyone else on Tweaknews was timing out in the last couple of days because outside of info on how to subscribe, their website didn't look very informative the last time I went there, but sure enough, it is now, so there's this:

quote:

Fiber outage
2013-07-25 08:00:00 (CEST)
We are currently experiencing some problems due to a fiber outage. This is affecting our usenet services. We are working on this to fix this as soon as possible.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho
I used Usenet for long time in the past to the time when it was usable. Now the majority of files are fully crap. Every third file will be alarmed as virus infected, archives are damages and can not be repaired, because of DMCA many binaries will be removed. So what is the advantage of Usenet today? I never have such problems with Torrents. I can find a file in seconds using Torrentus, in 5 minutes I have 1.5 GB file with uTorrent on my computer without any problems. Or there are some software that are even able to stream torrent files without downloading. And all this is fully free. The only costs can be a good VPN service that I can get for 4 USD monthly. Can someone explain today what is Usenet good for?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

johny006 posted:

I used Usenet for long time in the past to the time when it was usable. Now the majority of files are fully crap. Every third file will be alarmed as virus infected, archives are damages and can not be repaired, because of DMCA many binaries will be removed. So what is the advantage of Usenet today? I never have such problems with Torrents. I can find a file in seconds using Torrentus, in 5 minutes I have 1.5 GB file with uTorrent on my computer without any problems. Or there are some software that are even able to stream torrent files without downloading. And all this is fully free. The only costs can be a good VPN service that I can get for 4 USD monthly. Can someone explain today what is Usenet good for?

I've been on usenet for a while and never....not once....pulled a virused file. Ever.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho
Ok, where you get your NZB files then and which provider you use to download it? Maybe I'm outdated and use not right services...

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

My ISP is actually throttling torrents, would using a VPN circumvent that?

I can't even remember ever pulling a file with a virus, I guess that happens a lot if you try downloading straight from a group because most indexers are pretty good at avoiding that poo poo.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho

Vodos posted:

My ISP is actually throttling torrents, would using a VPN circumvent that?

I can't even remember ever pulling a file with a virus, I guess that happens a lot if you try downloading straight from a group because most indexers are pretty good at avoiding that poo poo.
Yes, if you use VPN then your IPS providers can not see what you download and will not block Torrents.
Maybe you are right. Which indexer is the best today?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

johny006 posted:

Yes, if you use VPN then your IPS providers can not see what you download and will not block Torrents.
Maybe you are right. Which indexer is the best today?

There's no single "best" indexer anymore and many have closed their registrations to either invite only or even completely because nobody wants to turn into the new newzbin/nzbmatrix and get targeted by the movie/music industry. Usenet-crawler.com and nzbplanet.net should still have open registrations and seem fairly solid. If a nzb link has comments, check them to see if there's anything wrong with that particular file.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nzb.su's pretty good, and invites are fairly plentiful. There's a Coupons & Deals thread dedicated to them.

I personally prefer dogNZB but they're a lot stricter on invites.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Most of my stuff seems to come from dognzb these days, but I also put it at the top of my indexer list in Sickbeard.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

When I try to go to NZB.su or dognzb I just get redirected to the wikipedia article on NZB's. What's up with that?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have never figured out how or where the "send to sab" equivalent is on dogNZB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Xachariah posted:

When I try to go to NZB.su or dognzb I just get redirected to the wikipedia article on NZB's. What's up with that?

Hidden in plain sight. You've got to know the correct URL.