Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

teagone posted:

Even if the item hasn't shipped? I ordered from Amazon Prime yesterday, but the delivery estimate is like August 20th or something.

https://plus.google.com/113479694798313988314/posts/Uir1Udg8iGd

That's Play store support; don't know if that applies to Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If you ordered from Play Google directly emails you the Netflix promo but apparently that offer is now null for orders going forward.

Being rewarded with crumbs on an untested product. :smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nimper posted:

https://plus.google.com/113479694798313988314/posts/Uir1Udg8iGd

That's Play store support; don't know if that applies to Amazon.

Yeah, just sent an email to Amazon Support just now inquiring for those who are in the same boat as me.

[edit] That's not to say I don't mind if I don't get the Netflix promotion since I already pay for the $8 a month for it. Just would have been a nice bonus is all. I still think $35 for Chromecast is a ridiculously amazing value.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 25, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If you ordered from Play Google directly emails you the Netflix promo but apparently that offer is now null for orders going forward.

Being rewarded with crumbs on an untested product. :smug:

ummm I ordered almost as soon as it went up:

quote:

Order date: Jul 24, 2013 1:32:54 PM PDT

But I haven't received any emails from Google or Netflix re: the promo.

*edit* apparently that email doesn't go out till the device ships

quote:

If you ordered online, you'll receive an email with your promo code after your order ships. If you bought in-store, your code is on your receipt.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

teagone posted:

Even if the item hasn't shipped? I ordered from Amazon Prime yesterday, but the delivery estimate is like August 20th or something.

I mean, when we bought it, they displayed the promotion on the product page. If amazon doesn't honor it, that'd be fraudulent advertising on their part. There was a note about it coming in a week after they ship it or something so you might have to wait.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

I mean, when we bought it, they displayed the promotion on the product page. If amazon doesn't honor it, that'd be fraudulent advertising on their part. There was a note about it coming in a week after they ship it or something so you might have to wait.

Well, they don't charge you until it ships, so they could just send out emails warning people that they won't get the Netflix.

My order was in before Amazon stopped taking orders at all, but still pretty late so there isn't a ship date yet. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens before canceling.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

wa27 posted:

Well, they don't charge you until it ships, so they could just send out emails warning people that they won't get the Netflix.

Well, mine just shipped a few hours ago, so if they do send that email, that would basically be bait and switch on amazon's part.

quote:

My order was in before Amazon stopped taking orders at all, but still pretty late so there isn't a ship date yet. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens before canceling.

I wouldn't cancel. Amazon makes it REALLY pain free to send back stuff. I've heard stories where they'll even refund you and let you keep the stuff if it's a low cost item. It'd be the easiest thing to fight, even though it's not on the product page anymore, i'm pretty sure someone has a screenshot of the promotion and there's tons of news stories about it. Amazon isn't really known to screw customers over.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

come on guys where are the trip reports already :(

i'm interested to see this... I was considering an WDTV, a Roku, an Apple TV, and then it was turning into an HTPC... but gently caress, this paired with Plex would be all I need!

But alas, I'm in canada... so no Chromecast for me :(

What's the browser plugin for Chrome that'll let me see American Netflix?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Guitarchitect posted:

What's the browser plugin for Chrome that'll let me see American Netflix?

https://mediahint.com/

A serious godsend

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hola is a good chrome plug-in for non-us use too. I used it from the Philippines and Czech Republic just fine for some Netflix and hulu content.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CrazyLittle posted:

ummm I ordered almost as soon as it went up:

But I haven't received any emails from Google or Netflix re: the promo.

*edit* apparently that email doesn't go out till the device ships

Has anyone who ordered from Amazon gotten their Netflix code? Mine is on its way but I haven't seen anything.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Athenry posted:

Has anyone who ordered from Amazon gotten their Netflix code? Mine is on its way but I haven't seen anything.

You have to wait 1 week from the day it ships to get the code

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh, cool the Chromecast doesn't work on the hotel's LG TV.

Here for another month. Fun times.

Tried factory reset codes, etc (using my HTC One since the remote is a "Pace" cable box remote). Close to entering the factory service menu, but holding a button on the One doesn't constantly send a signal to hack into the thing. Highly annoying.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

hotsauce posted:

Oh, cool the Chromecast doesn't work on the hotel's LG TV.

Here for another month. Fun times.

Tried factory reset codes, etc (using my HTC One since the remote is a "Pace" cable box remote). Close to entering the factory service menu, but holding a button on the One doesn't constantly send a signal to hack into the thing. Highly annoying.

How's that possible? Shouldn't it just accept whatever's in the hdmi port?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So I ordered the second it was up on Amazon and I'll have it tomorrow. Am I getting the free Netflix? I've only gotten order/shipping confirmations from Amazon so far.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417809390"]
How's that possible? Shouldn't it just accept whatever's in the hdmi port?

Its a hotel tv

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How do you play local avi files and such from a laptop?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/tip-you-can-play-local-video-files-through-chromecast/
This article posted in android phone thread says you can play local files, they use an mp4 though. On my chrome typing in an address to a local file like that just causes it to start "downloading" in chrome to my downloads dir.

edit: If I chromecast a tab with flash video from windows chrome, like from my own subsonic server or from a news site it's completely unwatchable levels of choppy.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 26, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Maybe pick up a cheap all in one remote from a drug store? Do hotels usually disable inputs on their tv's?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

How do you play local avi files and such from a laptop?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/tip-you-can-play-local-video-files-through-chromecast/
This article posted in android phone thread says you can play local files, they use an mp4 though. On my chrome typing in an address to a local file like that just causes it to start "downloading" in chrome to my downloads dir.

edit: If I chromecast a tab with flash video from windows chrome, like from my own subsonic server or from a news site it's completely unwatchable levels of choppy.

I believe the chromecast only supports certain codecs, of which AVI is not one. Apparently it renders whatever is on your screen as an HTML5 page, so whatever works for HTML5 should work via chrome.

Otherwise - if you're running plex, open a video from MyPlex and send it to the chromecast?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I ordered mine on Google Play and got a Netflix code. Applied it to my canceled account and it re-set it up. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow for the actual Chromecast stick.

I'm excited though. I really love Google Music (when the app works anyway), and the only way I could really stream it before to my speakers was to use BubbleUPNP, which was okay but a bit clunky. I also had a Google TV, but the music app for it was even more unstable than the Phone/tablet one. I'm hope this will make it easier just to throw music to my TV without much effort.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Weird, I just watched the vergecast today and they demo'd playing their livestream via a casted Chrome tab from one of the hosts MacBooks and it played back the flash video smoothly.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

teagone posted:

Weird, I just watched the vergecast today and they demo'd playing their livestream via a casted Chrome tab from one of the hosts MacBooks and it played back the flash video smoothly.

If it was on YouTube there's some type of native YouTube on laptop to chromecast function that makes yt vids smooth.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

If it was on YouTube there's some type of native YouTube on laptop to chromecast function that makes yt vids smooth.

Here's the video. Skip to about 55:30 to watch them cast a couple different tabs and full screen flash played videos; both from Youtube and their own site http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/4557134/the-vergecast-086-july-25th-2013

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Plug your phone into it with a USB cable. If it charges that, it should theoretically work with the Chromecast.

EDIT: Don't do this. It could fry your TV

Well I'm glad I checked this thread because I was going to try plugging mine into the Service port when it comes tomorrow.

kitten smoothie posted:

So what's this about the Netflix offer going away? This blog is correct that Google removed the mention of it from the Play store landing page.

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-netflix-offer/

I bought mine from Amazon yesterday and it's sitting on my doorstep at home right now, I assume I'll still get my free Netflix?

edit: news from something more reputable than a crappy android blog

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

I bought mine from the Play Store as it was being announced and got this email around 10am this morning:

\

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use the Service port of my 32" LCD to power my Mohu Leaf and I've never had problems

Hot Pink Justice
Nov 10, 2005

For what it's worth, I bought a Chromecast at a Best Buy today and they were still offering the 3 months of Netflix also. The code was printed on my receipt and was also e-mailed to my Reward Zone account right away. So if they're in stock in-store near any of you, I'd assume the codes will still be printing until the end of the day.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Do you all have to use the microusb port for power?

I thought I read earlier that newer Tvs could provide power via HDMI. Our <1 year old insignia bedroom TV didn't provide power via hdmi, used the TV USB port. Friend of mine who I got one for too and also has a real new TV had to use USB too.

comcor
May 11, 2005
Knife-wrench. Practical and safe. For kids!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So I ordered the second it was up on Amazon and I'll have it tomorrow. Am I getting the free Netflix? I've only gotten order/shipping confirmations from Amazon so far.

I would expect so, I ordered yesterday and got mine delivered this afternoon. Curious about how we get the Netflix deal, I found this page on Amazon saying its sent a week after shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001297671

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

comcor posted:

I would expect so, I ordered yesterday and got mine delivered this afternoon. Curious about how we get the Netflix deal, I found this page on Amazon saying its sent a week after shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001297671

More importantly it says: Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. So if you ordered after that, you're up a creek.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Best Buy is stocking this in-store beginning Sunday - I wonder if their print ad will mention the Netflix offer?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Apparently Best Buy is stocking this in-store beginning Sunday - I wonder if their print ad will mention the Netflix offer?

They are in-store now.

So I returned the first Chromecast I got from BB. Thought it was defective because the hotel TV wouldn't display an image. I held down the reset button on the stick for 26 seconds, it rebooted. The Chrome "restoring to factory defaults" appeared. Then, nothing.

Got another one. Same exact thing, so it's the terrible hotel TV I guess. Strange as the reset dialogue shows fine, then the screen flashes green and ... nothing. "No Signal" floats around the screen. I've tried every goddamn thing and it simply will not work.

Ah well, at least I got $47.94 applied to my Netflix account. Good by me. Guess it will work when I get home in August.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Athenry posted:

More importantly it says: Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. So if you ordered after that, you're up a creek.

Yes, I totally ordered before time expired. Yay!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hotsauce posted:

So I returned the first Chromecast I got from BB. Thought it was defective because the hotel TV wouldn't display an image. I held down the reset button on the stick for 26 seconds, it rebooted. The Chrome "restoring to factory defaults" appeared. Then, nothing.

Got another one. Same exact thing, so it's the terrible hotel TV I guess. Strange as the reset dialogue shows fine, then the screen flashes green and ... nothing. "No Signal" floats around the screen. I've tried every goddamn thing and it simply will not work.

Ah well, at least I got $47.94 applied to my Netflix account. Good by me. Guess it will work when I get home in August.

Hmm, have you tried asking a hotel person to see if they could help you out?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

teagone posted:

These people barely know how to print a receipt, so I'm not even going to waste an elevator trip.

Maybe it's an older model panel? Don't know, but surely don't want to get trapped in the vortex of asking for help. The internet provider at this hotel blocked my work VPN last month. It worked fine up until about 40 days ago.

I called them to investigate. The guy who picked up sounded like he just woke up and was precisely zero help. They insisted they changed nothing. Nope, something changed. Just doesn't work anymore. At all. It's not me.

Little confidence in the solutions here. I'll just exist and bail in a few weeks and never return.

So I stare at the Chromecast, wondering how it works. Fun times.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

They are in-store now.

So if I went to Best Buy and bought like 8 of these, and returned them, I'd get 2 years of free Netflix?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

So if I went to Best Buy and bought like 8 of these, and returned them, I'd get 2 years of free Netflix?

Think so.

The potential for abuse is huge. :stare: Maybe that's why they ended it in less than 24 hrs.

I just got two codes in my gmail. Applied the first one, returned what I thought was a defective stick. Then got another code. Applied it, not thinking it would work...and it did :stonk:

Morals at risk here, but it works.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Wagonburner posted:

Do you all have to use the microusb port for power?

I thought I read earlier that newer Tvs could provide power via HDMI. Our <1 year old insignia bedroom TV didn't provide power via hdmi, used the TV USB port. Friend of mine who I got one for too and also has a real new TV had to use USB too.

My 2012 HDMI 1.4 TV did not power the device. I used one of the TVs USB ports to power it

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
edit: wtf quote wierdness

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

teagone posted:

Hotel TVs are loving trash 99%of the time. They run butchered to poo poo firmware and often manage to display HD video with more static than a 90s portable TV. I would honestly be more surprised if it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Trap Star posted:

You know it's as easy as a single browser plug-in to access US Netflix from Canada, right? I don't know a single Canadian who still uses CAD Netflix.

I only know of paying $5/month to Unblock-US. If you have a better way, I'm keen to know more.

• Locked thread