Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

because dad wants to be able to use the internet but doesnt want to pay for windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Pollyanna posted:

trying to make a chromiumos partition on the slowly dying family computer

its not going well

post more threads about installing stuff on old imacs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

because dad wants to be able to use the internet but doesnt want to pay for windows

I can think of a solution a millions times better than this and it literally involves "not paying for windows"

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

"install gentoo" is not a solution, echoing penis

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

install lindows

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I'm still confused as to why PCLinuxOS is a popular distribution

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sports posted:

I'm still confused as to why PCLinuxOS is a popular distribution

because it's "So cool ice cubes are jealous"

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I didn't make it but it's a part of my garden building hobby.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm really, incredibly, existentially bored waiting for school to start and my reserves paperwork to get through.
I need ideas on what to do with my time that's useful and cheap.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
arduino is gonna be some poo poo I harp on about for ages u might as well get in in that

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

echinopsis posted:

arduino is gonna be some poo poo I harp on about for ages u might as well get in in that

maybe, maybe, but i don't know what I would do with the thing that doesn't require extra $$$ crap.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive just discovered fasttech which is the same but different to dx.com and anyway for like 20 bucks you could make an arduino turn a servo and maybe another 10 and you could put a laser on it and sing a coimputer and a webcam and coding effort you could make a device that actively tries to blind people by shining a laser in they eyes if they look at your web cam

have a sign above said 'cam that says "yo dont look at me or you will go blind" and after 5 seconds of face recognition it fires an infrared laser (s they cant see it) at they eyes until they can no longer see?

a prank gone too far? only time will tell

b) do this but set it up on the street somehow. itll basically end up a pyramid scheme of laughs and you will be at the top

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Make one that autotargets airplanes and then put it in a public park
obv make sure you don't get any fingerprints on it

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

countdown to visit from suits in a van:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i saw a post on reddit (trap sprung) by this guy who used to work in congress whos made an app that alerts you whenever congress is voting on something, and lets you indicate how youd vote and tells you how your congressmen voted. he says the bells in congress are radio controlled, so he has a computer set up somewhere in/near congress (i'm assuming it's in one of his friend's offices) that detects the signals and triggers the notification in the app.

its pretty cool.

https://vimeo.com/70741310

cause i know nothing about programming or computers, and since i've worked in parliament and still have pretty easy access to the building and to staff there, i was thinking of building a similar app for britain. in fact, ive been thinking about making a similar app for over a year now, but now that i know someone else is doing something similar, i'm more confident about going ahead.

if parliament's bells are radio controlled, i could make the signal detector thing out of a raspi with an i2c? it'd be cool to teach myself how to make an app and do some hardware stuff too. my programming knowledge is pretty much nonexistent at this point, but why not learn by doing?

i don't want to monetise it, and i don't know if i'll even publicly distribute it, but it'd be cool to do it for my own interest.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what happens if they change the frequency of the bells or his friend is restructured out of his/her current position or the government gets annoyed and bans the computer or

same questions apply to you. much of my dealings with government departments in my it days amounted to suspicion due to lack of basic understanding of how computer poo poo works, thus it is easier to stick with the status quo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

:raise: "whats's this strange box doing here?"
:byodood: "zomg ur hacking da govment!"
:cop: "you are sentenced to 80 years in prison for treason"

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sweevo posted:

:raise: "whats's this strange box doing here?"
:byodood: "zomg ur hacking da govment!"
:cop: "you are sentenced to 80 years in prison for treason"

yeah, probably

i did find some info about an proof of concept app for parsing/displaying parliamentary annunciator data that a group of folks made at a 'hack parliament' event last year:

quote:

Challenge number one was the source data. The annunciator system is entirely proprietary, very old and was conceived in a time before networks, never mind the internet. The nice Parly people gave us a dump of the data for 4 hours in the Lords last Thursday, and we went from there.

It turned out to not have been a particularly busy day in the Lords, which in some ways was probably a good thing due to the quite frankly baroque syntax of the data. With a lot of Python parsing and some educated guesses, we ended up with a JSON feed of activity, people and process data, together with division bell alerts.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
the current parliamentary annunciator system (tv screens with who's speaking, what the debate's about, how long they've been speaking...etc) is directly descended from electromechanical victorian tech that printed onto paper tape.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
beep boop "your congressman voted against free healthcare for 9/11 first respondants. have a nice day"

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2013

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
beep BOOP my app is powered by some celeron desktop in a congressmans closet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Best Christmas posted:

america is a a shameful place

everyone come to canada, the further away from toronto you are the most square acres you get to gently caress around with

also our internet is bad enough where posting is the only option, so it suits ur needs

is it reasonable to emigrate to canada as an american

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

do it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

go to Australia on a boat. They like that.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i made http://fartgeist.com (nws) and someone bought an ad for it on SA for some reason

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah my daughter still asks to play the lime game every now and then gently caress you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Angry Moo Cow posted:

yeah my daughter still asks to play the lime game every now and then gently caress you

that owns

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

for your next project, get nonomatic on ios already

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

The Best Christmas posted:

for your next project, get nonomatic on ios already

that will probably never happen. check out pixelogic

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

coffeetable posted:

it's not nuclear but

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electron-Accelerator-A-Cathode-Ray-Tube-in-a-/

and if you can build a CRT, you just need a tungsten target to get xrays

which are really dangerous and probably illegal or something

iirc you need more than about 25 kV to get problem x-rays, which is why that's about where old crts topped out voltage-wise.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah since then she keeps pointing out the differences between lemons and limes everytime she sees either one of them and its all your fault.

how does it feel to be an educationalist?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Angry Moo Cow posted:

yeah since then she keeps pointing out the differences between lemons and limes everytime she sees either one of them and its all your fault.

how does it feel to be an educationalist?

very naise

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
please don't show her fartgeist.com

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Base Emitter posted:

iirc you need more than about 25 kV to get problem x-rays, which is why that's about where old crts topped out voltage-wise.

please tell me they only figured this out after the first 30 kV CRT debuted.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i have this plan to build a semiautonomous UAV; the physical airplane part is easy enough but i want to stuff it with the guts of an old phone so i can preprogram it with GPS coordinates that it will fly to

also using the accelerometers in the phone for inertial navigation to supplement the GPS is a thing that would be cool to do

could i just use a rooted android phone? how easy would it be to get it to talk to an arduino or something through the USB port so that it could control the plane?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i have this plan to build a semiautonomous UAV; the physical airplane part is easy enough but i want to stuff it with the guts of an old phone so i can preprogram it with GPS coordinates that it will fly to

also using the accelerometers in the phone for inertial navigation to supplement the GPS is a thing that would be cool to do

could i just use a rooted android phone? how easy would it be to get it to talk to an arduino or something through the USB port so that it could control the plane?

The NSA now has an entire division watching you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pollyanna posted:

please work out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

please work out

:q:

im glad ive got you in my life MvL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SRQ posted:

The NSA now has an entire division watching you.