Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007
Pushed it today, Pi - sorry about the delay, everyone. Real life went straight to pot this week, but good news is I'm getting the hang of this thing. I've got a few ideas on the burner, but I think the one I'll pursue this time around will be monster spawngroups. If all goes well, I hope to have hordes of 1-200 zombies wandering the worldmap randomly, as well as updated loot lists, new items, and maybe even a special decoder ring hidden deep within the deathless body of the lord of the horde himself, Mr. Grimley!

There will be a few new items/professsions/etc added next Friday at the least, and I should have a better time frame on the horde project by then as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Pushed it today, Pi - sorry about the delay, everyone. Real life went straight to pot this week, but good news is I'm getting the hang of this thing. I've got a few ideas on the burner, but I think the one I'll pursue this time around will be monster spawngroups. If all goes well, I hope to have hordes of 1-200 zombies wandering the worldmap randomly, as well as updated loot lists, new items, and maybe even a special decoder ring hidden deep within the deathless body of the lord of the horde himself, Mr. Grimley!

There will be a few new items/professsions/etc added next Friday at the least, and I should have a better time frame on the horde project by then as well.

Awesome! Make a pull request on github and I'll merge your stuff in.

I'm still working on the electricity stuff so I'll make a build with the latest merge, the water siphoning and your items in as soon as I get it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Can something be done about the absurd monster density in even the tiniest of swamps?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, goldfish, I noticed in my github notifications that you forked my repo, rather than Jons. Jons repo is the one that holds GDA and is the most up-to-date (my copy is pretty out of date by now).

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007
Hell and tarnation! I'll refork and throw a pull request in as soon as I get back home.

Edit: updated, synched, and pull request sent!

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Alright, time to crash my super tank into a town at full speed and prime some mini nukes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just curious, where the hell do I find superalloy? I've torn apart about eight towns, half a dozen labs and hundreds of vehicles without a piece in sight.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can find it in bank vaults some of the time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think dismantling CBM:Alloy Platings gives you superalloy, plus I also got one from killing a copbot. So if you have reliable equipment, you could probably farm copbots for them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's apparently not really worth it, though. Someone said that it's actually weaker than hardened plate when used to armor cars. Unless you're planning to make armor CBMs there's not really any point.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
It's a bit weaker than regular plating, but significantly lighter
Could be good for some sort of non-killdozer vehicle, if anyone makes those

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It'd make more of a difference if fuel consumption wasn't a flat rate depending on if the speed indicator is green or yellow.

As it is, there's basically no downside to steel plating every last part of an electric car since they have the grunt to truck on at over a few hundred kilometres an hour even with all that crap tacked on.

Same goes for hard plating, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, if you stick a V8 motor or two on a vehicle, weight is pretty much a non-issue. It's not like there's a point in ever driving more than ~120km/h anyway. More weight just makes you better at punching through houses, it's a win/win.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
On the topic of rare items, has anyone ever found a flamethrower? I've played several games, raided my fair share of labs, bunkers and banks, found a few Plasma rifles, but never a straight-up flamethrower. I've made a couple of bottle flamethrowers and they work reasonably well, but you can't stick them on a vehicle.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Hell and tarnation! I'll refork and throw a pull request in as soon as I get back home.

Edit: updated, synched, and pull request sent!

Where did you send the pull request? For reference, this is the GDA repo:

https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Cataclysm: Technical Issues Ahead.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Don't you guys feel reassured that that GDA is in my capable hands? :v:

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

PiCroft posted:

Don't you guys feel reassured that that GDA is in my capable hands? :v:

Every time I get really into this whole shebang, I find myself chanting G-D-A! G-D-A! ala the EDF cry from Insect Armageddon.

There is something very, very wrong with me.

Anywho! Speaking of competency, I found the "pull" button...and after 10 minutes of somehow inadvertently attempting to merge a codebase I don't even own with Jon's, a lonely neuron fired from somewhere in its lonely recess and I forked the thing correctly.

I've tested out everything, and nobody should run into any errors/bugs, though balance may be something to adjust. Anywho! I'm set to work on the NPC things in addition to adding/tweaking items. I'll be checking the suggestions form linked earlier, and basically taking and implementing a lot of the awesome ideas already in this thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How do you guys think the vehicles could be improved? I'd like to see more variation in what spawns. The wreckages and varying engine sizes is a start, but there's plenty of room for the system to grow.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Jesus Torres, post-apocalyptic Renaissance man, finally bit the dust. Packed with cybernetic upgrades and mutations and heavily armed, he made it through two in-game years before finally biting it thanks to two regular Z's and one grabber. Only because he swerved his flatbed to hit them, nicked a parked car and ignited his gas tank. Note to self: if in future games you decide to disarm and pick up seventeen land mines, do not place them in the trunk directly behind the driver's seat.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Jesus Torres, post-apocalyptic Renaissance man, finally bit the dust. Packed with cybernetic upgrades and mutations and heavily armed, he made it through two in-game years before finally biting it thanks to two regular Z's and one grabber. Only because he swerved his flatbed to hit them, nicked a parked car and ignited his gas tank. Note to self: if in future games you decide to disarm and pick up seventeen land mines, do not place them in the trunk directly behind the driver's seat.

Wait can explosives in your trunk actually explode? I've had cars explode and kill me before with nothing much in the trunks.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

How do you guys think the vehicles could be improved? I'd like to see more variation in what spawns. The wreckages and varying engine sizes is a start, but there's plenty of room for the system to grow.

Trailers would be nice. It'd be cool to actually be able to use the Semi-truck to pull a semi-trailer. Also, it'd be cool to put smaller vehicles in the trailers. I wouldn't mind being able to make larger vehicles as well (Maybe the max size of your construction screen is influenced by your mechanics skill, so at start you can make ATV's and at high levels be building a battle bus or something like that mack truck in the Road Warrior.), and more vehicle types. There should be more military vehicles too. Imagine coming across a ruined check point, with some burned out ACPS to strip of heavy plating, infested with zombie soldiers.

I would also like to see more mountable turret options. The regular smg turret would be nice, as would the ability to mount makeshift flamethrowers. Grenade launcher as well could be interesting, maybe for popping smoke before you run out the back of your vehicle? Being able to mount LAW's to fire from the controls straight forward would be spiffy. Also, I wouldn't mind the ability to change the facing of vehicle lights, so you can put lights that illuminate to the side or back of the vehicle.

For utility I think there should be a welder that you can attach like the RV kitchen. It would make sense, as we have welding trucks in real life. Maybe even general utility trucks, like the cherry pickers they use to work on power lines. A tool module could count as all the basic tools, kind of like a big multi tool implant for your vehicle. This way we can add utility trucks and the likes to the game. Forklifts might also be nice to find and use to lug around stacks of heavy things, like engines and armor plate.

Alternators that generate power when the vehicle is running, or even generators would be nice. Although useless for now since the only vehicle part that needs power is the RV kitchen. Perhaps if a welding unit was added, or picrofts power system was finished.

edit: Oh, more options for movement, like treads that have a bonus to off road or something but or heavier, or even boats/amphib stuff would be cool in swamps. I wouldn't mind living in a swamp, fighting for my life against giant mosquitoes, crusing in my airboat.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 27, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd love to see trains and train tracks be a thing. Maybe you can't make one yourself or lay down a whole new line's worth of track, but you could repair one and splatter zombies at 200 mph or mount cannons on it and blow the hell out of the countryside wherever it does go. Then again, this might be better if the world zooms out more from just part of one state (which I would be cool with too - cross country journey seems appropriate for endgame survivors as a goal).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Trains would indeed be awesome.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If trains are implemented, I'd like to see something done about the subway system. Getting one of the subway trains up and running could be a possible goal. As it is, I'm not sure there's any point to the underground systems - it's empty, dark and full of endlessly spawning rats and snakes. I think there should be more interesting things you can do in the underground.

Mountable crossbow turrets would be a good idea, I think. Crossbows are pretty much useless outside of traps as it is. With vehicle crossbow turrets, at least ammo wouldn't be a problem.

Just a passing thought for NPC implementation, but if different factions are going to be implemented, there's no reason for all of them to be human. Perhaps a character who consumes enough plant mutagen becomes a triffid-creature, and can start seeding triffid groves in enemy factions. Or a character mutated into an insect-creature can start building wasps' nests and bee hives. Basically, I think it'd be interesting if mutations did more than a few cosmetic changes, but fundamentally altered the way you play the game, and the NPC factions being overhauled seems like the best place to start with this idea. A character that willingly mutates willingly gives up his humanity, there's no reason why he'd continue to act in humanity's best interests. Plus NPCs always shoot my mutant characters on sight so screw those jerks.

E: Or a character with enough bionics and high electronics, computers and mechanics could start leading a robot army to take over the world. I'm not sure how to balance all of it out, though.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 27, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Apparently RV kitchen units can only be installed on frames without roofs. :wtc:

Aaand it appears you can stack wheels by installing a kitchen unit atop a wheel and putting another wheel on top of that.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 27, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, the kitchen unit itself counts as an impassable tile, like the walls and apparently acts as a roof as far as the in/out stuff is concerned.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

And boiling enough water to fill up a water tank sends your cooking skill through the loving roof.

If real life worked like Cataclysm, I would be such a goddamn great chef with how much tea and coffee I make. :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

And boiling enough water to fill up a water tank sends your cooking skill through the loving roof.

If real life worked like Cataclysm, I would be such a goddamn great chef with how much tea and coffee I make. :v:

Switching distillation to some kind of set up might be better. Like, you take a container, a hose, and another container and set the mess on top of a fire for a few hours. Also stop boiling your tea and coffee, you neanderthal.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Boil water, pour in mug with teabag or plunger with grinds. You got a problem with that?

Also, distillation and home-made booze would be just perfect. We can call low-grade beer made from grassland materials 'Millet Light'...

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're burning your coffee and tea!

Hopefully distillation and homemade booze will be in the next GDA, if Pi and narc figure out how to stop crossing wires.

Although once I see how that is I'm hoping we'll have room for more stills. Pot Stills to Column stills! Fractional distillation!

That said, if the setup works then water purification from stills rather than a cooking recipe you do a million times would be great. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing jerky and stuff be done more like it is in unreal world.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Wait can explosives in your trunk actually explode? I've had cars explode and kill me before with nothing much in the trunks.

The culprits were either the three fuel tanks, or the boatload of dissassembled primers, gunpowder and pile of landmines in the trunk. I didn't get a chance to read the text, but there were a lot of booms happening. I also once accidentally set my safehouse on fire and my ammo locker exploded rather spectacularly, and I think trunks work on the same basic principal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure that stuff in your trunk can in fact explode. I was carrying around a bunch of mininukes once and crashed into a building, which ended up setting off like a dozen of them. Wasn't much of the building left afterwards. Or of me.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So if I put the controls in the back, and make a long skinny car, can I have a nuclear powered battering ram?

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You're burning your coffee and tea!

Hopefully distillation and homemade booze will be in the next GDA, if Pi and narc figure out how to stop crossing wires.

Although once I see how that is I'm hoping we'll have room for more stills. Pot Stills to Column stills! Fractional distillation!

That said, if the setup works then water purification from stills rather than a cooking recipe you do a million times would be great. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing jerky and stuff be done more like it is in unreal world.

I think we have patched the shorts now that I am able to use GitHub like an actual human being - I put in the pull request last night, after inadvertently submitting it to the original DDA team and sparking a bit of debate over furries. My inbox feels slightly violated. Apologies for the delay, by the way - I'm already working on the next update, but I think a bimonthly update in bigger chunks will work out better for me at the moment, I'll plan to have the next bit done by Aug 9th.

Anywho! I love the NPC suggestions, Inadaquetly - I actually laid a bit of groundwork for massively changing playstyles along your lines of thought with the Ant King profession, though I don't want to get in over my head and promise to deliver something I'm not sure I can do quite yet vis a vis being Lord of the Swarming Horde. The Ant King is a good start - insects will treat you as friendly, etc etc - but I'd like to take it to the level you describe in your post if I am at all able.

Re: trains - I admit I am kind of intrigued by the idea of a locomotive laying waste to the surrounding countryside, and what's more, it gives me an idea for a game mode in which you have to salvage a certain number of parts for the train from the countryside in order to get the engine working and escape the nuclear fallout that is coming with the onset of winter. Win it, map resets and you keep your character and whatever you stuffed into the train. It's a thought.

Distillation is merely a craftable set of drinks at the moment, but I am working on getting the whole fermentation thing going. Millet Lite is an amazing suggestion, it definitely fits with the Taint Tornado and Boozeberry type of thing I have going so far; that's going in with the rest of the crafts.

KoL - if we are talking about a hardwired trailor (more an extension of the vehicle than a seperate entity linked to the vehicle) I should be able to write it up no problem. Seperate but linked entities would involve something a bit more indepth than I am currently capable of, from what I gather looking at the sources. The light orientation thing bugs me too - I'm going to see if I can get something going there while I am digging around.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I would normally say ideally the trailers would pivot at the joint or something, but to be honest vehicles in cataclysm look terrible at the non cardinal directions anyways, so just being able to hock trailers that stick out behind (Or wherever I guess.) would be pretty useful. Could be a good start for trains though. To be honest, I think the way vehicles render needs some work. It'd probably look a lot better if the vehicles only faced 4, maybe 8 directions when rendered. IF the car's moving almost NW just have it face north and veer that way. You won't have the weird 'zombies can walk through walls if you park at an angle' issue, and I'd imagine it'd make trailers and trains a lot easier to implement with a pivot. (Have them be orientated that direction the main vehicle was for a few turns before turning themselves.)

edit: Unless your talking more about the whole drive a vehicle onto another trailer thing, in which case, yes, do that in whatever way possible.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So if I put the controls in the back, and make a long skinny car, can I have a nuclear powered battering ram?

I like the way you think, sir.

My next project in GDA is to build a car shaped like the one from the Ambiguously Gay Duo. Long, armored 'battering ram' covered in spikes housing the engines, with an offset and armored 'crew pod' and 'cargo pod.' Should both protect me from cooking off explosives as well as look hilarious. Hopefully I can find the scrap early on my next playthrough. Tentative name: The Phallus of Malice.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007
Yup, pivot points are what would give me a hump to code over - I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I'm not sure how I would go about it right now. Which is a drat shame, because I would LOVE to make a super dense ball of spikes and armor plating to tow - get up to 100mph and whip that sucker right, you'll take down a city block like tenpins from the safety of your apocolypsemobile.

I am working on the zombie horde spawning as we speak, as well as a few new scent based items (like the hunters spray mentioned earlier, and a "Flesh Suit") that will allow all sorts of sneaky fun times to thin out that horde of 200 zombies that recently wandered into town. If I'm able to tweak the NPC AI into something a bit more usable as planned, pitched skirmishes between desperate groups of survivors and the unrelenting horde could be something that happens on a regular basis.

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 27, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, here's the next build

Narcotic has put in an assload of new items, including a bunch of new drinks and stilling

I fixed a crash with radiation badges and all the stuff from the latest DDA is in the build, so folding bikes are in.

Water siphoning from water tanks in vehicles are in.

As always, let me know if there's crashes, bugs or problems and keep the suggestions coming.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GDA%200.4.4.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Skill rust seems to be bugged, turning it off does nothing and your skills still rust.

(I don't like worrying about that stuff okay don't judge me)