Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SteiniDJ posted:

I had sold my BMW E39 M5.

Out of curiosity, whyed you sell it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sold my 2013 Impreza after six whole weeks of misery. Just couldn't get used to the CVT and Big Lots-grade interior. Trade-in value was only $1200 less than what I originally paid, so I think it could have turned out far worse.

Love the classy interior (complete with three (?) clocks), love the goofy 2.5L I5, love driving it.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 24, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Augmented Dickey posted:

love the goofy 2.5L I5

Are you insane?

SteiniDJ
Jun 20, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

My point about the weather stands. Anyway, I am in Europe, but it's over 1k km just to the port in Denmark for me. Still might be competitive to plane+car rent so thanks a lot, I had no idea there even was a usable ferry.

I would personally drive over to Denmark (you might even get to use the German autobahns!) and sail over. That way, you'll be able to avoid the horribly tiny Hyundai i10s that the rental companies offer for way too much cash (80 EUR/110 USD a day), and you'll get a short stop in the Faroe Islands (which I've heard is great). Plus, you'll get to drive through some fun roads on your way to the capital (roughly 600 km or so, a day or two of heavy driving, depending on which direction you go (I would personally recommend the East, if you can handle ~20 km of gravel roads).

Ziploc posted:

Out of curiosity, whyed you sell it?

It was an early model '99 E39 M5 (among some of the first sold, actually) and was clocking up to about 165.000 km (~104.000 miles) while bringing regular maintenance which I was getting slightly tired of. The dealership around here charges a heavy premium on all ///M parts (a new differential setting you back by roughly $15.000, as an example) with the only good BMW mechanic being in the next city, it was becoming a huge hassle, both financially and physically, to have the car maintained. I did the numbers, and probably could've bought another M5 for the money I spent on parts and such, but I don't regret it for a second. Best car I've driven and owned - ever.

Selling it was a very hard decision. I bought the car in a sorry state, and had it mended back into one of the better M5s in Iceland. I still miss that car.

If you're in the market for an E39 M5, I would recommend that you go for a facelift model (late 2000 and onwards). The pre-facelift cars have problems with oil consumption.

Here's a picture of it, for those interested. Taken a few years ago in the Westman Islands.

E39 M5 in Vestmannaeyjar by Steini DJ, on Flickr

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Are you insane?

Maybe. I've been driving a wheezy 2.0l boxer attached to a CVT for the past two months so anything with a normal transmission seems awesome at this point.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Went out to Shelter Island last weekend for a mini vacation and took my camera along.

Imgur is stupid and makes the picture into a weird size, so click for super-loving-BIG!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

SteiniDJ posted:

It was drat cold outside though, about 0°.

I'm not sure how you'd get your car to Iceland unless you're in Europe. If so, there's a ferry that leaves from Denmark called "Smyril Line" which goes to the middle of nowhere in the north-eastern part of Iceland. The price for two + a car is about 700 EUR/900 USD and the crossing takes a few days. :)

There is a car ferry from somewhere in northern Scotland over to Iceland too (or there used to be). I know a few people who have taken landrovers and campers over.

SteiniDJ
Jun 20, 2013

Tomarse posted:

There is a car ferry from somewhere in northern Scotland over to Iceland too (or there used to be). I know a few people who have taken landrovers and campers over.

I think we're talking about the same one. It seems to have shifted from Scotland to Norway and to Denmark.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This should come as a surprise to precisely no one, enjoy the bitchin cameraphone HDR in the first shot. I decided that while I will probably get other cars later on, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to have one built-to-order before they shut production down. I'll be hanging onto this one.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Das Volk posted:

This should come as a surprise to precisely no one, enjoy the bitchin cameraphone HDR in the first shot. I decided that while I will probably get other cars later on, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to have one built-to-order before they shut production down. I'll be hanging onto this one.

Packages? Picked mine up a few months ago for exactly the same reasons... and for some irrational fear of the "next" one losing a certain feel when the V8 goes away.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

King-Kong posted:

Packages? Picked mine up a few months ago for exactly the same reasons... and for some irrational fear of the "next" one losing a certain feel when the V8 goes away.

That's why I had to order it - I don't think the EDC is right for the kind of driving I do, I don't want a DSG and the navigation in the E9x seems ancient these days. It's got a sunshade, PDC, the garage door opener thingy and the enhanced bluetooth/assist stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're getting a tiny bit predictable, DV :v:

Can't fault you for sticking to M3s, though.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Grats dv! Looks awesome. Find some more turks for it.

Edit: New cars for everyone! - With content, here's the E55 I picked up at the beginning of the month:

Crappy phone photo, sorry. We just had kid #2 yesterday so while I have a few weeks off from work I'm going to find an opportunity to go take nicer pics.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 25, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tremek posted:

Grats dv! Looks awesome. Find some more turks for it.

Edit: New cars for everyone! - With content, here's the E55 I picked up at the beginning of the month:

Crappy phone photo, sorry. We just had kid #2 yesterday so while I have a few weeks off from work I'm going to find an opportunity to go take nicer pics.

If I lived up where you do I would have probably gone the same route, the little 4L V8 really suffers at altitude. But at sea level it's like driving an S2000 on a massive amount of steroids. I think I'm going to just get a dedicated track/hillclimb car in the next year or so, maybe an E30/6 with an LS7 or something silly, the M3 is too much fun as a daily to have it be my primary track car as well.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

You're getting a tiny bit predictable, DV :v:

Can't fault you for sticking to M3s, though.

The idea of having to get a silver BMW built-to-order was confusing till he started talking about options

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sadnessboner posted:

The idea of having to get a silver BMW built-to-order was confusing till he started talking about options

Pretty much all that's left in dealerships now is poo poo like this: http://www.bmwsf.com/inventory-details/title/san-francisco-new-2013-bmw-m3/vehicleid/527544814-131711

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
So DV, do you still have the old m3? If not did you pull the aftermarket parts off of it for the new one?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

hhnnnnggg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I do still really love the looks of the Bugeyes. If not for the fact I'm such a DSM whore I'd probably go for one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I love everything about that car. It's nice to see one not ruined or wrecked after seeing almost nothing but. What suspension is that and what size are the wheels?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I love M3s with the frozen paint...as long as someone else owns them.

On a related note, I was in my local dealer two weeks ago; they had just acquired an orange M3 GTS from who knows. When I drove past two days later, the GTS was gone, but a 997 GT3 RS appeared in their lot. Wonder if it was a trade-in...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

I love M3s with the frozen paint...as long as someone else owns them.

On a related note, I was in my local dealer two weeks ago; they had just acquired an orange M3 GTS from who knows. When I drove past two days later, the GTS was gone, but a 997 GT3 RS appeared in their lot. Wonder if it was a trade-in...

That'd be one hell of a hard decision to make, but I can see owning both at some point.

firehawk: the only mod I've kept is my Dinan intake, I like how it makes the motor sound and the filter's reusable with a K&N renewal kit. The guys at Evolve are kind enough to give me a new tune for each new car for free. This time around I'm just fixing the one real restriction point, the primary cats, with an X pipe they make. The combination is good for about 30rwhp.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

$40,000 in options on a $60,000 car?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AlmightyPants posted:

$40,000 in options on a $60,000 car?

Welcome to buying a German sports car. :v:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Just bought this 92 Celica on Saturday. Engine is a 3S-GTE which is currently in the machine shop. Left there by the previous owner due to lack of funds, so I'm buying that later this week. Megasquirt 2, boost controller, bunch of stuff to play around with in the coming months. Hopefully I can get it all together.

SlimManFat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 29, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SlimManFat posted:

Just bought this 92 Celica on Saturday. Engine is a 3S-GTE which is currently in the machine shop. Left there by the previous owner due to lack of funds, so I'm buying that later this week. Megasquirt 2, boost controller, bunch of stuff to play around with in the coming months. Hopefully I can get it all together.

Thumbnail/timg that image dude.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

I do still really love the looks of the Bugeyes. If not for the fact I'm such a DSM whore I'd probably go for one.

Funny, I actually bought the WRX for a daily while I was building my Talon... But then I lost interest in that and started sinking parts into the WRX.

Wheels are 17x9 +44 Work CR Kai's with 12mm spacers... ISC coilovers.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SlimManFat posted:

Is this a real All-Trac or are you building a clone?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Neither actually, thats jusr how the PO decided to "style" his car. Im gonna keep the hood and lights for the hell of it. Looks neat.

The engine is bored .040 over, Wiseco forged pistons, Eagle connecting rods, stage 2 valve springs, not to mention its an entirely fresh rebuild. Sounds like a good candidate for
:siren:boooooooooooooooooooooossssttt.:siren:

Also, I've got a MR2 transmission that I'm picking up later this week.

:rice:

doogle
May 24, 2003

The hatch in its natural state: broken. The distributor didn't like spinning up to 9500 so I'm waiting on a replacement.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

doogle posted:

The hatch in its natural state: broken. The distributor didn't like spinning up to 9500 so I'm waiting on a replacement.

I look at that beautiful thing and have a NASCAR quote run through my head -- "That thing is all ate up with motor."

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

bidikyoopi posted:

This is awesome, where did you get the hard top? I know they're pretty rare and upwards of $2.5k when you can find them. I want an MRS for no reason.

Thanks man. The hardtop was the reason for the purchase. The handling should be reason enough. It's a really fun car to drive. Toyota was so silly for not offering a 2zz model, it would have made a good little roadster great.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like your Yaris.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It does look ridiculously awesome for a Yaris. That's the first time I've noticed that the shape of the windows is pretty similar to a Diablo.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

As a general detractor of Yarii I would drive the poo poo out of yours. Thing looks like a go-kart.

Shame about the center gauge cluster, though. :(

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Previa_fun posted:

As a general detractor of Yarii I would drive the poo poo out of yours. Thing looks like a go-kart.

Shame about the center gauge cluster, though. :(

What's your beef what the Yaris?

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005
Mesothelioma is your friend!
So I previously had driven a Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged, and while it was plenty fun to drive, it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I was itching for a change. Enter...

No, wait. That was just the strange Ford CMax I rented to make the trip to the dealer.

There it is! 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

This car kicks all kinds of rear end. Gobs of power in any gear. A blast to drive. Bought it with 77 miles on it. Wonder how many of those were burn-outs by the porters at the dealer? Can't wait to get past the break-in period and head to the track!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man, a car like that, 77 miles would make me so nervous.