Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Boat posted:

Brainfuck is awesome just for the whole "doesn't care about whitespace or extraneous characters" aspect of it that lets you do things like this with the code itself:

code:
                            Linus Akesson presents:
                   The Game Of Life implemented in Brainfuck

Now someone just needs to mod that into Minecraft in block form...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

I'm not sure if this is a problem but my mouse doesn't stop when I stop moving it IRL. It's a bit annoying trying to mine and have it just continue past the target block I was going for. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I want to just turn to a block and not have to worry about my mouse moving past it.

I have no idea why it stopped but it's fixed itself somehow

Jewel
May 2, 2009

CanUSayGym posted:

I'm not sure if this is a problem but my mouse doesn't stop when I stop moving it IRL. It's a bit annoying trying to mine and have it just continue past the target block I was going for. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I want to just turn to a block and not have to worry about my mouse moving past it.

I have no idea why it stopped but it's fixed itself somehow

Try pressing F8.

Edit: Oh your post changed. F8 toggles smooth mouse movement.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Survey says?

Jewel posted:

Try pressing F8.

Edit: Oh your post changed. F8 toggles smooth mouse movement.

That's was probably it. I was messing around with controls trying to find out how to see who was on a MP server and ran through the F1-12 keys.

Also I'm terrible at this 'game'. Getting lost from my first home is my first problem. Then night comes, I'm not prepared for it and I die thus losing myself even more. Any tips for navigating and finding where you died or where you've established a home base? This is my first time back in this game after years away.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

CanUSayGym posted:

That's was probably it. I was messing around with controls trying to find out how to see who was on a MP server and ran through the F1-12 keys.

Also I'm terrible at this 'game'. Getting lost from my first home is my first problem. Then night comes, I'm not prepared for it and I die thus losing myself even more. Any tips for navigating and finding where you died or where you've established a home base? This is my first time back in this game after years away.

/gamerule keepInventory true

Then it's just a matter of getting 3 wool and some planks and making/sleeping in a bed so you respawn in your house. Rei's Minimap is wonderful, though there are a couple other map mods you can get. If you'd rather not mess with mods, hitting F3 should show your coordinates (x and z are what you want to write down, y is depth). Write down the coords of the default spawn, your base, and anything and everything else you find that's interesting.

Also if you're one of those people who doesn't like having your blocks messed with, /gamerule mobGriefing false and /gamerule doFireTick false.

Fake edit: I see you're talking about an MP server- the gamerule thing won't work in multiplayer but the map additions will. Definitely make and sleep in a bed regardless!

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Survey says?

BlueOccamy posted:

/gamerule keepInventory true

Then it's just a matter of getting 3 wool and some planks and making/sleeping in a bed so you respawn in your house. Rei's Minimap is wonderful, though there are a couple other map mods you can get. If you'd rather not mess with mods, hitting F3 should show your coordinates (x and z are what you want to write down, y is depth). Write down the coords of the default spawn, your base, and anything and everything else you find that's interesting.

Also if you're one of those people who doesn't like having your blocks messed with, /gamerule mobGriefing false and /gamerule doFireTick false.

Fake edit: I see you're talking about an MP server- the gamerule thing won't work in multiplayer but the map additions will. Definitely make and sleep in a bed regardless!

I totally had 3 wool at one point before I died.

Yea I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I do my SP maps. Anyone else from FdY do minecraft, BO? We should do a server and you can help me through this.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So this Mindcrack UHC season is kinda horrible.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

CanUSayGym posted:

I totally had 3 wool at one point before I died.

Yea I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I do my SP maps. Anyone else from FdY do minecraft, BO? We should do a server and you can help me through this.

Unfortunately I seem to be the only one who's played it, and I just stick to single player Tekkit (one of the mod packs that's goon-made). Hubby has a FTB server up but no one plays and FTB sucks :v

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

So It Goes posted:

So this Mindcrack UHC season is kinda horrible.

The server fuckup was a fluke, but I really wonder if the new mob behaviors will be something that they can eventually adjust to and overcome, or if it will prove to be the undoing of UHC. :(

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Jamesman posted:

The server fuckup was a fluke, but I really wonder if the new mob behaviors will be something that they can eventually adjust to and overcome, or if it will prove to be the undoing of UHC. :(

The server issues just made the new mob behaviors unmanageable and the resulting borked day and night cycles kept putting them in super dangerous situations. They were already used to the UHC mode but no amount of experience can overcome glitchy super speed mobs and tele-creepers. They also need to realize that abandoned mine shafts suck compared to dungeons, desert temples and nether fortresses. Just grab some string and get the gently caress out. :argh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eventually they'll learn to never hit a zombie ever unless not doing so will guarantee that they'll take damage. At this point, attacking a zombie is probably the worst thing they can possibly do when confronted with one and they all just seem to do it so casually. Then a million other zombies descend on them from all directions and they die. To play UHC in the new update, you have to take the path of avoidance more than ever. Don't even plink away at zombie ankles while protected, that usually just ends up going bad somehow. The range on the social call to other zombies after getting hit is just huge and extremely dangerous.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I have a bug where my movement gets stuck sometimes and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I know it's a known bug where the common fix is to install the latest lwgl libraries, but that didn't do anything for me, so does anyone have any suggestions?

This is on 1.5.2. I think it was working fine in 1.5.1 because I used to play Tekkit on that version and never got the bug, but I even replaced my libraries with the Tekkit ones and it didn't change anything.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They really should have done a perma day season again since the mobs are so much harder this time around.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

They really should have done a perma day season again since the mobs are so much harder this time around.

Perma-day + harder mobs = everyone dies trying to get iron in the first episode after every loving cave is infested with mobs.

I think that larger teams might have helped, but I'm not 100% sure.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CanUSayGym posted:

One of the most popular things to do is take stone/dirt with you, and above your base, build a single spire high enough to see over the trees and light it up on all sides with torches (or, use netherrack and light the top on fire, if you're that far into the game).

Then, when exploring, always build a new "beacon-fire" whenever you're about to lose sight of the previous one. Indicate under it which direction your base is in with one additional torch.

This strategy always works for my friends. I basically never get lost, so I wouldn't know.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Blasphemeral posted:

One of the most popular things to do is take stone/dirt with you, and above your base, build a single spire high enough to see over the trees and light it up on all sides with torches (or, use netherrack and light the top on fire, if you're that far into the game).

Then, when exploring, always build a new "beacon-fire" whenever you're about to lose sight of the previous one. Indicate under it which direction your base is in with one additional torch.

This strategy always works for my friends. I basically never get lost, so I wouldn't know.

I remember learning this trick back in Alpha. I had generated what would be one of my favorite worlds, but a random wandering expedition led me off the beaten path and into a very lengthy period of being absolutely lost. Since it was before maps, I built a huge arrow and loaded up a mapping program to find where I was. That save file had about a 3 mile circle of terrain generated as I wandered past and around my base. Beacon towers ever since. (Or maps, but they take up an inventory slot)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Also known as a "flaming nerdpole."

Seriously, easiest way to do this is either leave a torch trail back home or simply write down your coordinates. I always forget to do it, though, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fuego Fish posted:

Perma-day + harder mobs = everyone dies trying to get iron in the first episode after every loving cave is infested with mobs.

I think that larger teams might have helped, but I'm not 100% sure.

I forgot about that. I guess Guude can't win. If ever there were a season for Dinnerbone to play, it should have been this one...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a reason why all the animals are bunched up in a corner?

Animals always seem to gravitate to the north and west in a pen. In a big pen, if you use rei's minimap with chunk borders visible, youll see that they seem to cluster on specific chunks within the pen, and within those chunks they cluster in the northwest. Presumably this results in animals getting pushed off the chunk by competitors for the northwest corner, resulting in the overall northwest migration :haw:

I've had this same experience with all kinds of livestock in different places in pens of different sizes:

The far corner is northwest. There'd always be a mosh pit in the NW corner; The NE corner would be crowded, but with animals wandering as usual with breathing room and no mosh pit; most of the free space would be concentrated along the southern fence, diminishing from east to west. In the new toilet-style pen you can see that they only bother going uphill from east to west and they really like staring northwest into a wall:

Villagers, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother story:

We've had to take extreme measures to keep the population under control:

Interestingly, a colony of ~40 iron golems that survived the drop have achieved some sort of sentience and are using creepers to dig a tunnel for them back into the mountain under the village, with unknown motives:

I'm not sure what to do with them. Farming iron is so boring. I was thinking maybe I could dig a monster spawner into the mountain and let them fight the golems in an arena. Or maybe they'll eventually colonize a chasm under there and itll be the safest place in minecraft that doesn't have any torches.

:350:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 27, 2013

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Animals always seem to gravitate to the north and west in a pen.

Have you checked to see if that's the direct 0,0 is in

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is anyone going to submit this as a bug?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Baloogan posted:

Is anyone going to submit this as a bug?

Ages ago.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

nippon nifties posted:

Have you checked to see if that's the direct 0,0 is in

I'm not there right now but it's roughly the other way

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So, apparently in 1.6, drowned mobs don't drop loot.

At all.

My ridiculously over-complicated fully automatic self contained chicken reactor is now utterly useless.

I'm kind of annoyed.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Boat posted:

ridiculously over-complicated fully automatic self contained chicken reactor

Is still a good name for a rock band.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Boat posted:

So, apparently in 1.6, drowned mobs don't drop loot.

At all.

My ridiculously over-complicated fully automatic self contained chicken reactor is now utterly useless.

I'm kind of annoyed.

Mine still works fine for cows

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Animals always seem to gravitate to the north and west in a pen. In a big pen, if you use rei's minimap with chunk borders visible, youll see that they seem to cluster on specific chunks within the pen, and within those chunks they cluster in the northwest. Presumably this results in animals getting pushed off the chunk by competitors for the northwest corner, resulting in the overall northwest migration :haw:

I've had this same experience with all kinds of livestock in different places in pens of different sizes:

The far corner is northwest. There'd always be a mosh pit in the NW corner; The NE corner would be crowded, but with animals wandering as usual with breathing room and no mosh pit; most of the free space would be concentrated along the southern fence, diminishing from east to west. In the new toilet-style pen you can see that they only bother going uphill from east to west and they really like staring northwest into a wall:

Villagers, on the other hand, are a whole 'nother story:

We've had to take extreme measures to keep the population under control:

Interestingly, a colony of ~40 iron golems that survived the drop have achieved some sort of sentience and are using creepers to dig a tunnel for them back into the mountain under the village, with unknown motives:

I'm not sure what to do with them. Farming iron is so boring. I was thinking maybe I could dig a monster spawner into the mountain and let them fight the golems in an arena. Or maybe they'll eventually colonize a chasm under there and itll be the safest place in minecraft that doesn't have any torches.

:350:

:aaaaa: I don't know half the stuff going on in those pictures, but your villager "solution" looks like a concentration camp, I hope it's not. BTW I've tried to counter the pathing by digging a trench maze near the fence, with terrible consequences. Single animals started freaking out, rotating, running and bumping into everything, then rotating again. It's like they all contracted mad cow's disease. I tore down the fence and let them all escape. Haven't touched the game since.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

:aaaaa: I don't know half the stuff going on in those pictures, but your villager "solution" looks like a concentration camp, I hope it's not. BTW I've tried to counter the pathing by digging a trench maze near the fence, with terrible consequences. Single animals started freaking out, rotating, running and bumping into everything, then rotating again. It's like they all contracted mad cow's disease. I tore down the fence and let them all escape. Haven't touched the game since.

It used to be a concentration camp. Did you ever notice that the minecraft dude constantly does the nazi salute if he has nothing equipped? Your right arm is up and to the right at 45 degrees forever, in first person at least

Never fear, though, it's now a nursing home: a place for old, worthless, or simply burdensome villagers to die with dignity. Involuntarily.

(It's an infinite villager spawner, the purge mechanism is necessary because they can pop out a few hundred new villagers in an hour and the game goes unplayable past ~650 or so. I went AFK there the other night and when I managed to get back in there were over a thousand.)

You should hear the sound at the bottom as they all shriek into the ground.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 29, 2013

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

(It's an infinite villager spawner, the purge mechanism is necessary because they can pop out a few hundred new villagers in an hour and the game goes unplayable past ~650 or so. I went AFK there the other night and when I managed to get back in there were over a thousand.)

Does it have to be built on the site of a village or can you get a new one going with displaced villagers and enough doors?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Does it have to be built on the site of a village or can you get a new one going with displaced villagers and enough doors?

You just need to get two villagers in a place with the right door/ceiling conditions. Building on an existing village is the easiest way but if you're patient it's pretty straightforward to find a couple of villager zombies and lead them where you want to cure them.

There's a decent wiki article http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Village_mechanics

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

After four long years, Mojang will finally figure out how to make Minecraft into a proper PC game with the next update. :allears:

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!
Holy poo poo, does this mean finally no more double tapping W for sprint?! That would be amazing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there an easy way to power through the early setup phase of the game? Every time I see a new update or a cool mod pack I wanna try, I start it up, and then I never get around to trying the new stuff because grinding through the early tech levels is boring as poo poo.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is there an easy way to power through the early setup phase of the game? Every time I see a new update or a cool mod pack I wanna try, I start it up, and then I never get around to trying the new stuff because grinding through the early tech levels is boring as poo poo.

It takes 5 minutes to get iron tools and some food.

It takes 10-15 minutes and a little luck to get diamond.

I don't know how much faster it could get.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

All I can really suggest is checking off the option for the beginner's chest or whatever it's called that let's you start off with a chest full of tools when you start a new world.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Do as i do, cheat. Seriously, you find something tedious? Creative it. You figuring out a new mod? Cheat until you understand it. This time wont be the last time you ever play minecraft, so cheat now and play it more seriously next time.

I always start new worlds with a starter pack i've themed to whatever strikes my fancy this time. Full leather armour, iron tools, handful of seeds and chicken eggs, a bed and some shears? Yes please. :haw:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
For those who keep score: I am quite principled.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So this is pretty cool I guess:

Alpha patches will be available "soon" with a possibility of Classic and Indev versions as well.

And people are already bitching and reporting bugs in the beta versions, you know, ones that would be fixed in newer versions of the game. :suicide:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

So this is pretty cool I guess:

Alpha patches will be available "soon" with a possibility of Classic and Indev versions as well.

And people are already bitching and reporting bugs in the beta versions, you know, ones that would be fixed in newer versions of the game. :suicide:

Meanwhile third-party launcher have had this functionality since the dawn of time, plus more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Meanwhile third-party launcher have had this functionality since the dawn of time, plus more.

True, but depending on where they were storing the jar files (I know Mojang has had an open repository for a while, but I don't know how far back that goes) they were doing that in potentially illegal ways. :v:

But I guess shame on Mojang for attempting to make parts of their game better because 'its been done before'? :shrug: