Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Mister Macys posted:

I only know of paying $5/month to Unblock-US. If you have a better way, I'm keen to know more.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's called Media Hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So I guess Amazon customers have to wait a week for the Netflix offer code:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_i=B00DR0PDNE

code:
Get a 3-Month Netflix Gift Code with Purchase of a Google Chromecast
Purchase a Google Chromecast and receive a Netflix gift code redeemable towards 3 months of Netflix streaming service on a new or existing account. The gift code will be emailed to you a week after your Chromecast has shipped.
Follow the instructions below to redeem your code:
1) Go to netflix.com/chromecast.
2) Enter the Netflix code from your email and click 'Continue'.
3) If you are a new member, you will be asked to create a Netflix account. No billing information is required.
4) If you are an existing Netflix member, login into your Netflix account and your subscription will be credited for 3 months worth of streaming services.
I'll be curious what the cut off is for people who get it and those who don't...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Oh, just noticed it says Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. so there ya go.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I ordered on the play store...

Order date: Jul 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM PDT

I haven't received an email about the Netflix code yet :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nimper posted:

I ordered on the play store...

Order date: Jul 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM PDT

I haven't received an email about the Netflix code yet :ohdear:

You'll get the email when it ships.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just confirmed with a person from Amazon customer service named Aftab that I did in fact order my Chromecast before the expiration date :neckbeard:

Was kind enough to put through an email request to be sent to me that says I qualify for the 3-months of Netflix as well. So if any of you goons ordered via Amazon, just start up a support chat and ask if you qualify :D

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Chromecast may soon support the Revision3, Pandora, and Songza apps.

Oh, and a little app called HBO Go.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-hbo-go-dial/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Edit: also don't put anything in that port because apparently it really can damage your TV.
That's not the same as powering something off the TV. That question deals with plugging a PC into a 'printer' type USB port that they found on the TV, so they sent 5v up it, rather than pulled 5v from it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Finally got my confirmation on shipping email from the google play store, unfortunately no Netflix code despite getting my order in prior to the deadline.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

fondue posted:

Finally got my confirmation on shipping email from the google play store, unfortunately no Netflix code despite getting my order in prior to the deadline.
Same here. 10:31 AM PDT. I should have been a little more patient and ordered from Amazon, since I picked USPS shipping from Google Play. Either way, still excited to get the thing.

Just got my code. Oddly enough, it didn't show up in my Gmail account. I must have my other personal account set up as a recipient for...something, somewhere.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 26, 2013

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

The Best Buy near me just got their shipment. I did an in-store pickup online, and according to my invoice I should be receiving a Netflix code shortly via email.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

While I'm waiting for mine to arrive later today, here's some good news:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/one-night-with-chromecast/ posted:

Google’s Chromecast, a little gadget that plugs into an HDMI port on the back of your TV to let you watch Internet or browser-based video, just launched yesterday. We haven’t had time to fully process it for a review yet, but after spending a day with it, we do have some initial thoughts and answers.

The main thing to understand is that this is not an Apple TV or TiVo like thing. It’s fundamentally different. Think of it like this: If there are things on the web that you would like to see on your television, this is an extremely easy, portable, and inexpensive way to do that. It will also run smartphone apps that use the Googlecast API, but for now there are only three Android apps that support that–Netflix, YouTube, and Google Play.

Throughput matters. You’re going to need a solid Wi-Fi signal, and if you want to watch something that’s online, a good Internet connection. We tried to get the Chromecast running at Wired yesterday, but the only networks available from our test TVs had terrible Wi-Fi reception. That meant we failed miserably. The audio and video sputtered, then ultimately halted. It was frustrating.

But with a solid connection, setup is a breeze. After failing to get it going at work, we took it home. Because we wanted an out-of-the-box experience, we started over from scratch. In about three minutes from the time we moved our TV in order to reach behind it and jack the thing in, we were watching an episode of Sesame Street from YouTube. It was equally easy again at work this morning using a 4G MiFi hotspot.

This is going to be great to travel with. It’s so small, and so easy to set up on a new Wi-Fi network that it’s truly portable. (It will literally fit in your coin pocket.) It’s also inexpensive enough that it would not be a disaster if you accidentally left it plugged into the back of your hotel room television set.

Yes, you can play local video. At least some of it. A not-strictly-speaking legitimate copy of Black Mirror in MKV file format played magnificently on our
television when we dropped it in a Chrome browser window.

Likewise, if you’re running it in a browser, Amazon Instant video, Hulu, Rdio, and HBO Go all just work. As did video from Wired, Gawker media, and Flickr slideshows. We ran photos from Facebook fullscreen. We watched a live Flash stream of a Braves game on an extremely shady bootleg site that spawned approximately a gazillion Chrome windows in the background.

One thing that didn’t work? Quicktime. (Surprise!) We could see the video, but couldn’t hear any sound. This was true of both local .mov files and movie trailers we tried to stream from Apple’s site. Google has said Quicktime and Silverlight won’t work.

iOS setup isn’t available yet. For now you’ll have to use an Android phone or Chrome web browser. As of this morning, the Chromecast setup page still says iOS is “coming soon.” Boo. A lot of people are buying this based on Google’s promised support for iOS. This needs to be remedied quickly, or made exceptionally clear at the time of purchase that it’s not implemented yet.

It has to draw power from a cable. This has led to a debate over whether or not it’s a true dongle. It is, but who cares; call it whatever you want. Here’s what you need to know: It’s powered via USB. So, if your television has a USB port, you just connect the cable to that and it runs. On three of the four televisions we have tried, the cable was not visible from the front side. If your television does not have a USB port, you will need to plug this into an outlet.

The bottom line is that so far we’ve been pretty blown away by how easy, versatile, and inexpensive this is. Given the low, low price (even before the three-month free Netflix credit) it’s really hard not to like.

As far as the local MKV's, I'm curious about the audio encoding in the file they used. As I understand it, the regular Chrome desktop browser wont play AC3 audio. Or maybe the Chromecast can handle that?

Amazon Instant Video is a huge plus. I don't even know what's in there or how it compares to Netflix, but I'm paying for Prime and I don't want to pay for multiple video streaming services.

And honestly? Internet doesn't work well if you don't have a good connection? No poo poo.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Oh, just noticed it says Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. so there ya go.

I ordered at 5:47 EST (2:47 PST) on the 24th and didn't see any mention of the Netflix offer on Amazon when I ordered. I'll be curious if it actually comes in.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 26, 2013

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Have they said anything about a UK release date?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
With regards to hotel TVs, my limited sample seems to indicate that they will generally accept an external HDMI input if you can unplug the set-top box that's usually attached.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That's nifty how you can use YouTube on the browser to play videos on the Chromecast. I wish they'd add similar functionality to the Play Music site.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Isn't Play Music supported? I can test with mine later this afternoon :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sobriquet posted:

Isn't Play Music supported? I can test with mine later this afternoon :v:

Phone app got updated with support. The web page probably hasn't, although you could just mirror the tab.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

hotsauce posted:

They are in-store now.

So I returned the first Chromecast I got from BB. Thought it was defective because the hotel TV wouldn't display an image. I held down the reset button on the stick for 26 seconds, it rebooted. The Chrome "restoring to factory defaults" appeared. Then, nothing.

Got another one. Same exact thing, so it's the terrible hotel TV I guess. Strange as the reset dialogue shows fine, then the screen flashes green and ... nothing. "No Signal" floats around the screen. I've tried every goddamn thing and it simply will not work.

Ah well, at least I got $47.94 applied to my Netflix account. Good by me. Guess it will work when I get home in August.

I went through a very similar problem with my Roku, boot screen then no signal. Replacement Roku had the same problem so I was just going to give up and blame my TVs. Turned out that an HDMI plug can feel like it is plugged in all the way but it needs a little more pressure to fully seat to establish whatever signal change happens from boot screen to the main menu.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

Same here. 10:31 AM PDT. I should have been a little more patient and ordered from Amazon, since I picked USPS shipping from Google Play. Either way, still excited to get the thing.

Just got my code. Oddly enough, it didn't show up in my Gmail account. I must have my other personal account set up as a recipient for...something, somewhere.

I was in a really long meeting and finally got a chance to check my email - four hours after my confirmation three months of free Netflix!

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I just want to point out that 3 months of free Netflix is really 2 months of free Netflix since they already offer 1 month free.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Medikit posted:

I just want to point out that 3 months of free Netflix is really 2 months of free Netflix since they already offer 1 month free.

Unless you already have a subscription

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Medikit posted:

I think you mean 4, since you can sign up for the free month, then add the code for $23.97 in credit.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Its not 3 free months, its a $23.97 credit to your account. So you could get 2 months of streaming + discs or whatever.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2013

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Maneki Neko posted:

Unless you already have a subscription

So, if you wanted to try netflix and ordered a chromecast, you should create your netflix account first, get a free month, then apply the cast coupon to get the rest credited to your account? poo poo I should have ordered more than one.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So Droid-Life reported that you can cast the entire screen, not just a tab in Chrome.

However, I do not have the option they show (no experimental options there)... but they show it on OSX, so I wonder if it is OS based?

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 26, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I cast a tab from Chrome on my iPhone, does the whole web page show up on my TV or just the condensed version on my phone? If I zoom in/out on my iPhone does the tab on the TV zoom as well?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So can I point it to Vimeo or something in my Chromebook, start playback, and then close the lid and sleep the laptop? Does it have to be mirrored for the whole length?

And how does it handle Flash video stuff when mirroring Chrome for Android or iOS where there are no Flash plugins to load the content with?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

So can I point it to Vimeo or something in my Chromebook, start playback, and then close the lid and sleep the laptop? Does it have to be mirrored for the whole length?

And how does it handle Flash video stuff when mirroring Chrome for Android or iOS where there are no Flash plugins to load the content with?

You're mirroring the laptop display, so the laptop will have to be on as that's the source of the video/audio stream.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Athenry posted:

Phone app got updated with support. The web page probably hasn't, although you could just mirror the tab.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I wish I could pick a song from the web and have it play as if I had picked it from my phone.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So far here are my observations :

I've worked in IT for 15 years, but putting that aside this thing was dead simple to install and configure. My LG TV does not have powered HDMI ports, so I just used the provided micro USB cable to connect to the USB port on my TV (it provides power, it isn't a service port, etc). Switch to the HDMI input I installed the Chromecast into, Chromecast boots up. Switch to the phone/tablet (PC as well, but you visit a URL to do it) and open the Chromecast app, it detects the device and asks for the password to your WiFi network.

That's it. This is even easier than the Apple products I have owned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DemonMage posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's called Media Hint.

Though that won't help Netflix on a non-PC device.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Just picked up my Chromecast from Best Buy. The box is tiny. Inside is the Chromecast, micro USB cord, AC Adapter, and a 3" HDMI extension ("Use to improve fit and Wi-Fi connection").

I can't wait to get home and try this thing out.

Edit: I just got an email from Best Buy saying that my code for 3 months of Netflix is available to download. Wasn't expecting that because I ordered it this morning.

Zorro KingOfEngland fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 26, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Just picked up my Chromecast from Best Buy. The box is tiny. Inside is the Chromecast, micro USB cord, AC Adapter, and a 3" HDMI extension ("Use to improve fit and Wi-Fi connection").

It's just a dongle that plays computer videos on your TV dude. No need to get too excited.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edit: I just got an email from Best Buy saying that my code for 3 months of Netflix is available to download. Wasn't expecting that because I ordered it this morning.

Is that a three-inch extension? Is it a cord or is it like a solid plastic pass through thing?

I also am wondering whether it's OS-agnostic as far as laptops go. Since it seems like it operates like chrome-to-phone did where you could click a button in Chrome and have the URL sent to your phone and auto-opened in the phone's browser. Obviously there's far more to it, but in general you're not streaming video from your goddamn device in realtime for poo poo like Netflix and YouTube. Playing local media is streaming, definitely. I wonder if there's some kind of remote file access going on with that, though. Instead of streaming your screen it opens the file on your machine as though it were a URL and then takes commands for stop/play/pause whatevs.

Oh, I am definitely going to try getting one of these today. Hope they're in stock at a BBY.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 26, 2013

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Entire Universe posted:

Is that a three-inch extension? Is it a cord or is it like a solid plastic pass through thing?

It's a cord, I'd guess. I have a little stick computer thingy and it has a 3" extender cord.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Though that won't help Netflix on a non-PC device.
How about Hola Unblocker, which I mentioned in this thread?

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

That's it. The cord doesn't seem to bend too much, but it's definitely not solid.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wario In Real Life posted:

It's just a dongle that plays computer videos on your TV dude. No need to get too excited.

Depending on how well this works, I'm looking to replace my laptop that acts as a HTPC. If I could just use this with my iPhone for browsing/multimedia...way better (and cheaper) than buying a new laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Well...alright then.

• Locked thread