Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The latest episode of BtB was pretty amazing, at least. The fighting in this is actually pretty drat brutal...

The story is a lot better than the first episode and the voice acting was good too.

Though, I watched it after Ult. Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble so it's probably a LOT better to me than most people.

I've finally been watching bits and pieces of Ultimate Spider Man and, holy poo poo, this cartoon is so ridiculously toyetic. Why the gently caress is Spider Man being given motorcycles and jetpacks? When has he ever needed all this crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Thompsons posted:

I've finally been watching bits and pieces of Ultimate Spider Man and, holy poo poo, this cartoon is so ridiculously toyetic. Why the gently caress is Spider Man being given motorcycles and jetpacks? When has he ever needed all this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE

SPIDAMAN

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Also his Spider Buggy in the original comics. :v:

"Spidah-Man" is also the title of an Ult. Spider-Man episode where Spider-Man goes to Boston for a day and is their resident superhero as they don't have one.

What really bothers me about USM is that I thought Marvel would be able to handle their own character in a cartoon better than Sony could. Sadly, this is not the case at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

raditts posted:

I just watched Beware the Batman today and the only thing it has going for it graphic or animation-wise is that it's not as bad as the Pac-Man show. But god drat is it ugly, I felt like I was watching a 22-minute cutscene from an early Playstation 2 game.

It honestly doesn't look that bad to me, but maybe that's due to exposure to the GL:tAS which had a similar CG style.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I've only seen a few preview clips of Beware the Batman and all I can say is that despite it being an honest effort, I'm just not feeling it. I grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series so the bar is set pretty high for me as far as Batman is concerned. I was living overseas when B:TAS came out so I couldn't watch it on TV. Luckily, I had a friend who had a buddy back in America who would tape all the episodes for him on VHS and mail them to him to watch at home. It was the only way any of us could get to watch Batman in Germany so it goes without saying that kid was King Cool.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

I must've missed that episode, what do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFURxVE1jJE

Bat-Mite as a trans-dimensional comic book nerd was so great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Taken from us far too early, that show was.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That clip left out the best part of that gag.

And this time... he's a girl!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's too early for me to judge Beware the Batman one way or the other but its environments look horribly sparse and lifeless. At a few points the ground was just a flat textureless plane. That fake Batgirl show actually looks better in that regard; when I first saw it I was actually hoping that it was a real thing they were working on. BtB is breaking MY B&B IMMERSION!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Y-Hat posted:

I want this to be canon in the Star Wars universe so that I can hear a million Star Wars fans' heads explode at the same time.

It already exists (and isn't canon). Look up Tag & Bink Are Dead.

e:

ThermoPhysical posted:

What really bothers me about USM is that I thought Marvel would be able to handle their own character in a cartoon better than Sony could. Sadly, this is not the case at all.

This is what happens when you celebrate having your IP under one roof again by putting Jeph loving Loeb in charge of all your TV/Animation properties. Thankfully Whedon will likely be able to shout him down when it comes to SHIELD, but the quality of all the new IPs after his promotion (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Agents of SMASH) speaks to his, er, "talent".

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 24, 2013

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Today's episode of Teen Titans GO was hilarious. Beast Boy and Starfire cheering in front of the word "Lies!" nearly killed me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Argue posted:

It's too early for me to judge Beware the Batman one way or the other but its environments look horribly sparse and lifeless. At a few points the ground was just a flat textureless plane. That fake Batgirl show actually looks better in that regard; when I first saw it I was actually hoping that it was a real thing they were working on. BtB is breaking MY B&B IMMERSION!

I don't mind the actual animation so much. It isn't bad enough to push me away or anything, while the story so far at least seems new and interesting. The only thing I didn't like much in the first episode was how I had to wait for characters to get into focus before I knew where the camera was pointing because it was all Generic Corridor Central.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Today's episode of Teen Titans GO was hilarious. Beast Boy and Starfire cheering in front of the word "Lies!" nearly killed me.

I really liked Starfire's idea for how to get out of their corner of lies.

:ssh:more lies!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

muscles like this? posted:

I really liked Starfire's idea for how to get out of their corner of lies.

:ssh:more lies!

It was a nice twist on the usual "Lying into a corner"-episode, because Starfire had a fundamental misconception about lies, which made it all the more hilarious.

;)

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The episode where Cyborg becomes the Tower and essentially becomes HAL was wonderfully twisted, and I couldn't quite decide whether the ending was horrifying, or hilarious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I don't mind the actual animation so much. It isn't bad enough to push me away or anything, while the story so far at least seems new and interesting. The only thing I didn't like much in the first episode was how I had to wait for characters to get into focus before I knew where the camera was pointing because it was all Generic Corridor Central.

Well it's definitely interesting. I don't know about good or anything yet. I'm a little disappointed they changed Professor Pyg to an animal rights activist-type villain (at least for his first appearance). It is an interesting change to a previously existing character whose gimmick was be a crazy butcher (which obviously doesn't float well on TV), but they could've tried the circus freak gimmick instead.

Hopefully the show will get into its own soon because at this point, it's about as good as The Batman right now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

404GoonNotFound posted:

This is what happens when you celebrate having your IP under one roof again by putting Jeph loving Loeb in charge of all your TV/Animation properties. Thankfully Whedon will likely be able to shout him down when it comes to SHIELD, but the quality of all the new IPs after his promotion (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Agents of SMASH) speaks to his, er, "talent".
Why is Jeph Loeb so bad? Didn't he used to be a good writer?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
If you had told me a few years ago that out of all the comic book cartoons being shown, including a Batman, Avengers, Spider Man, and Hulk cartoon, that the only one that was worth watching at all was the one where the teen titans were all re-imagined as psychotic assholes I probably would have laughed in your face.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

achillesforever6 posted:

My understanding is that he lost a lot of his mojo after his son died.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

DivisionPost posted:

My understanding is that he lost a lot of his mojo after his son died.
That's part of it, maybe, but really a lot of the problems with his work seem to stem from basically plotting around whatever artists want to draw. Sometimes it works, like when Jim Lee or Tim Sale want to draw every Batman character or Art Adams wants to draw monsters and girls or Ed McGuinness wants to draw Hulk punching everything. The comics don't make any sense but for the most part they're at least fun to look at so they sell pretty well. What this leads to is that Loeb's name gets attached to a bunch of well selling comics and this gets mistaken for something he did, instead of something that happened in spite of him.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

404GoonNotFound posted:

It already exists (and isn't canon). Look up Tag & Bink Are Dead.

Tag and Bink aren't canon? Thanks for ruining my day. :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

"Used to" is the key phrase. Over the last few years, he has turned out a lot of real stinkers comic-wise. If you wanna look at some of his more egregious sins, look up Ultimatum some time (or rather don't) As far as his position at Marvel Entertainment goes, whether or not he's the guy who's calling all the shots, he's the mouthpiece of a lot of unpopular decisions, like the decision to end the much-beloved Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes so that Avengers Assemble (which is so much worse) can cross over easier with Ultimate Spider-Man and the upcoming Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H. show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TwoPair posted:

"Used to" is the key phrase. Over the last few years, he has turned out a lot of real stinkers comic-wise. If you wanna look at some of his more egregious sins, look up Ultimatum some time (or rather don't) As far as his position at Marvel Entertainment goes, whether or not he's the guy who's calling all the shots, he's the mouthpiece of a lot of unpopular decisions, like the decision to end the much-beloved Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes so that Avengers Assemble (which is so much worse) can cross over easier with Ultimate Spider-Man and the upcoming Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H. show.
Oh I know he's done a lot of poo poo lately, but wanted to know if there was a reason why. Iirc wasn't he going to retire from the comic business after Sam died, but was convinced to keep going on?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I tried watching Avengers Assemble, but it's just too boring. You failed me, Man of Action :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I just saw the end of the original Teen Titans cartoon on Boomerang and now I'm really pissed off that the next season doesn't exist. The show had really found it's groove by that point and the last episode "Things change" was an awesome opener for a potential final season (they were totally foreshadowing the team breaking up). I really hope that Teen Titans GO can breathe new life into the franchise so we can get some proper resolution.

Side note: It took me about halfway into the Brotherhood of Evil finale to realize who Jericho was. I fail as a comic geek. :eng99:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

readingatwork posted:

I really hope that Teen Titans GO can breathe new life into the franchise so we can get some proper resolution.

The only resolution GO will give you is that they all die. At the end of multiple episodes even.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The only resolution GO will give you is that they all die. At the end of multiple episodes even.

I was thinking more that if GO becomes super popular we could potentially get another "serious" Teen Titans series (or movie) out of it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure this is the right thread to ask but:

I used to always watch The Wonder Years way back when.
Now I have an urge to watch it again.
Is there a way to buy the seasons on DVD?
The only thing I found is amazon.com direct video.

Were the seasons never released on DVD?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Doesn't look like it. Shout Factory usually has DVD's of it if they exist.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

readingatwork posted:

I was thinking more that if GO becomes super popular we could potentially get another "serious" Teen Titans series (or movie) out of it.
Did you see the Trouble in Tokyo movie? It kinda wraps things up or at least it does with Robin and Starfire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

Doesn't look like it. Shout Factory usually has DVD's of it if they exist.

I believe the issue with The Wonder Years is that like a lot of "period" shows the music rights issues are too expensive.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Hopper posted:

The entire series is on Netflix, at least. I haven't watched enough to know what goes on in the term of music-rights in it. But there you go.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Hopper posted:

Not sure if you have a subscription, but I think the entire series is on Netflix Watch Instantly.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
Like they said, the show is streaming on Netflix. They largely seem to get around the musical issues by using similar sounding generic music, including a sound-alike version of the theme thats similar enough that I don't mind it at first but with enough differences that I find it distracting.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That is a lovely reason to not be anle to publish a DVD set. Greedy idiots keep me from watching that show.
Unfortunately Germany has no legal way to get Netflix from the US and German netflix has a very different set of shows...
Well I guess :filez: ...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The newest episode of Beware the Batman was...mediocre

Newest villain of the week is: Anarky. Simplified into, essentially, a whiny teen with a large amount of unwarranted self importance. Probably a little more palatable given that the original was more of an anti-villain and later became something akin to Batgod. Still pretty poor. The B-plot with Tatsu/Katanna is moving at an okay pace. We got a glimpse or her sword, so that's something. I would've preferred an introduction to Robin or Batgirl rather than Katanna as Batman's partner, but I'm just a tad afraid of what they might change in that instance.

Another thing irking me about this series slightly: the lack of alternative outfits on the characters. Tatsu is still in the same jumpsuit. Bruce is in the same shirt and jacket.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xelkelvos posted:

The newest episode of Beware the Batman was...mediocre

Newest villain of the week is: Anarky. Simplified into, essentially, a whiny teen with a large amount of unwarranted self importance. Probably a little more palatable given that the original was more of an anti-villain and later became something akin to Batgod. Still pretty poor. The B-plot with Tatsu/Katanna is moving at an okay pace. We got a glimpse or her sword, so that's something. I would've preferred an introduction to Robin or Batgirl rather than Katanna as Batman's partner, but I'm just a tad afraid of what they might change in that instance.

Another thing irking me about this series slightly: the lack of alternative outfits on the characters. Tatsu is still in the same jumpsuit. Bruce is in the same shirt and jacket.

I know people who think Beware The batman is pretty awesome, and think it's much much much better than Brave and The Bold. They also hate Brave And The Bold because of Aquaman and whimsy.

I'll accept many opinions but calling Brave and The Bold's Aquaman bad is not an opinion, it's flat out wrong. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'll accept many opinions but calling Brave and The Bold's Aquaman bad is not an opinion, it's flat out wrong. :colbert:

You might even say that it's...OUTRAGEOUS!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If you're complaining about whimsy in Brave and the Bold then you're not getting the point of Brave and the Bold.

Edit: The first episode I saw had the Justice League in a baseball match with the Legion of Doom. The show's existence needed no further justification past that point.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm waiting for someone to declare a specific Batman the Beware episode absolutely loving AMAZING before sitting down to watch it or caring in general.

The thing said earlier about making Pyg an evil animal rights activist really pisses me off.