Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sober posted:

Isn't Origins just all of Gotham City proper? I'd like to explore most of Gotham.

I do wish there was the outskirts so you could go back to Wayne Manor or explore the Batcave like in that challenge mode DLC.

I don't know about that - all I know is it's Arkham City before it was Arkham City + another section of Gotham that's just as large. I think it's still probably just the grittier parts of the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Sober posted:

Isn't Origins just all of Gotham City proper? I'd like to explore most of Gotham.

No it takes place on one of the small islands of Gotham city, according to one of those E3 videos.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BreakAtmo posted:

I don't know about that - all I know is it's Arkham City before it was Arkham City + another section of Gotham that's just as large. I think it's still probably just the grittier parts of the place.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

No it takes place on one of the small islands of Gotham city, according to one of those E3 videos.

It's the entire section that gets cordoned off in City + another island across the river, apparently. The AC area is expanded further and has some extra locations like City Hall (not to be confused with the Courthouse... I'm guessing City Hall is on the other side of that wall) and a lot of residential areas. Basically it'll feel like an actual city, plus we'll see a lot of familiar places from AC like the Steel Mill, Amusement Mile, Crime Alley, and the Gotham Museum.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
There are some Batman relevant sales on the US PSN Summer Blast Sale, starting today (7/2):

Sony posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3) – Regular Price: $19.99 / Sale Price: $9.99 / PlayStation Plus Price: $5.00
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS3) – Regular Price: $29.99 / Sale Price: $14.99 / PlayStation Plus Price: $7.50
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS Vita) – Regular Price: $19.99 / Sale Price: $9.99 / PlayStation Plus Price: $5.00
Batman Begins – SD: $6.99 / HD: $11.99
The Dark Knight – SD: $6.99 / HD: $11.99

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/01/psn-summer-blast-hot-discounts-starting-tomorrow/

Namaste fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 2, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The story really should not be a factor considering these games have never done anything special with that. The new parts of Arkham City could be good though, I don't care about it before it was ruined, but adding on to it could be interesting. Hopefully it's just more than one small area with one thing to do.

For you maybe. As a pretty casual Batman fan I personally get a kick out of the stories, and especially all the unlockable stuff for the various characters throughout the game.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Thanks to the Amazon sale the other day, I got both PC Arkham games for $10 (I've beaten the console versions multiple times)

A couple things I noticed while replaying the games:

- Arkham Asylum holds up really, really well. I know it just came out in 2009, but it's nice to know that it hasn't lost much.

- After beating Asylum and going straight to Arkham City, you get a great sense on how much Rocksteady improved the game between iterations. Everything is better: graphics, combat, Riddler challenges, unlockables, the world to play in, etc.

- I've spent countless hours playing these Arkham games, and the combat is still as fun as ever. I don't know what developer magic they used to make the combat so addicting, but it's remarkable.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Faltese Malkin posted:

I don't know what developer magic they used to make the combat so addicting, but it's remarkable.

Believe it or not, the combat in Batman is actually a holdover from when Rocksteady was trying to make a rhythm game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What other games have a similar fighting system? I know of Captain America and the not-very-good Spider-Man had the same basics, but what else?

I can only replay Arkham City so many times... including the mediocre Harley Quinn's Revenge.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Sleeping Dogs has a similar fighting system though the one in the Arkham games is much more fluid. Wei Shen doesn't have any gadgets and combo momentum doesn't really factor in at all, but it's still pretty satisfying. There are also awesome environmental kills like in that old Punisher game for the original Xbox.

edit: You can break thug's arms and legs like Batman, and it does the "slo-mo for final badass takedown move" thing like in the Arkham games as well.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 8, 2013

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Narcissus1916 posted:

What other games have a similar fighting system? I know of Captain America and the not-very-good Spider-Man had the same basics, but what else?

I can only replay Arkham City so many times... including the mediocre Harley Quinn's Revenge.

No other games that I can think of, besides the ones mentioned.

Side note: I used to own the Amazing Spider-Man game and I actually enjoyed it. It's got a lot of issues, but it does do a nice job of recreating his abilities. It was cool to swing around New York as Spider-Man and stop crimes, beat up dudes, and collect items/alternate costumes. Also the combat can be fun, albeit a poor man's version of the Rocksteady system.

I'm not saying buy it for $50 or anything, but if you ever came across it for super-cheap (like in a Steam sale) it's worth a play.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Assassin's creed 2 Brotherhood has that really lovely system where you can chain execute people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Assassin Copperhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVO1wz1BN7Q

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really curious to see how the hell they plan to make these assassins interesting in the AC combat system.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really curious to see how the hell they plan to make these assassins interesting in the AC combat system.

Hopefully it means a lot more boss fights in the vein of the Mr. Freeze fight.

edit: And by that I mean each fight being tailored to that character's unique style.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 19, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

El Tortuga posted:

Hopefully it means a lot more boss fights in the vein of the Mr. Freeze fight.

edit: And by that I mean each fight being tailored to that character's unique style.

They said they took inspiration from that boss fight.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Playing Arkham City now and holy poo poo forget Batman just give me a Catwoman game already. She is so much fun to play. Loving the game so far.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

keyframe posted:

Playing Arkham City now and holy poo poo forget Batman just give me a Catwoman game already. She is so much fun to play. Loving the game so far.

Man, almost everyone is awesome to play as in Arkham City. I am jealous that you're going through AC for the first time, I wish I could do that again.

Robin :allears: It's like a non-stop symphony of *KLONK* *KLINK KLONK KLONK*

Couldn't quite get into Nightwing though. Dunno why.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The Arkham series is certainly the surprise hit of the generation. Nothing makes you feel more bad rear end than seeing Batman beat the poo poo out of 30 guys without getting a single hit landed on him.
I want a Rocksteady Watchmen game. Now. :black101:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would like to hear some more of Smith as Batman and Baker as Joker before I really pass any judgment on the quality of voice, but it's not like it's hard to give Batman and Joker good voices. So many voices could fit either character since they're interpretable in many different ways and it's pretty rare you find a bad voice for either. What I wanna hear is who they got to voice Deathstroke because it changes like every game he's in. First it's Patrick Seitz in MKvsDC, then Larry Grimm in Arkham City Lockdown, then JG Hertzler in Injustice and I'm positive they're gonna get another guy for this game too.

HOLY poo poo! They got General Martok to play Deathstroke, and I didn't even notice? How could I not recognize that voice until now?!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

keyframe posted:

I'd like one too, so long as they take out all the pseudo (and direct) constant barrage of rape threats every fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Robin :allears: It's like a non-stop symphony of *KLONK* *KLINK KLONK KLONK*

Robin is my favorite character to use in the brawler maps. Catwoman's climbing feels off to me whenever I switch to her.

Copperhead looks like they wanted to have Catwoman as a boss. That's not a bad idea.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So are they really not going to do Xbox exclusive skins? My friend preordered anyway, hoping Xbox gets something decent like PS3 is getting, but I couldn't give him any answer, and neither could Gamestop.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

keyframe posted:

Honestly, I just couldn't help thinking that if you combined Catwoman and Batman's traversal abilities, you'd end up with a really balla Spider-Man game.

I updated the OP with more media, a section on the setting, and Chris Sims's response to Blackgate.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToastyPotato posted:

So are they really not going to do Xbox exclusive skins? My friend preordered anyway, hoping Xbox gets something decent like PS3 is getting, but I couldn't give him any answer, and neither could Gamestop.

PS3 has gotten exclusive content that the Xbox didn't get in both of the previous games, so I don't know if I'd expect any different here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Klungar posted:

PS3 has gotten exclusive content that the Xbox didn't get in both of the previous games, so I don't know if I'd expect any different here.

They got the Joker maps in Asylum, and they're getting some costumes in this, what did PS3 players get for City?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
PS3 didn't have anything exclusive in Arkham City.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

drat, the new guy they have playing Batman really does a good Kevin Conroy impression.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Calling Copperhead as the Glass Joe of the 8 bosses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jscolon2.0 posted:

So the first one? Or the most easy to beat?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

MonsterEnvy posted:

So the first one? Or the most easy to beat?

Yes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

jscolon2.0 posted:

It's Copperhead. Dude used to get the poo poo kicked out of him by the Elongated Man. Reboot or not, that's not exactly a wild leap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember him from the Justice League cartoon were he was part of pretty much every villain team in the show. He would lose fights due to outsmarting himself. For example grabbing on to Hawkgirl when he realized his newest team was going to lose and ordering her to fly him to safe place or he would kill her. She just flew up into the air and when he threatened to kill her she pointed out that if he did so he would fall a few hundred feet and splat on the ground.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some news Black mask is playable.

http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/playasblackmask.png

Also his Mask is a pre order bonus.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some news Black mask is playable.

http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/playasblackmask.png

Also his Mask is a pre order bonus.

That link isn't working for me.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I just hope they keep the controls as simple as they have been for the first two games. I love that fighting is mostly based around timing your attacks rather than remembering some rote fighting game-esque pattern of button mashes to simply punch a guy. My biggest fear is that some dev will get the idea that making the fighting system more complex will somehow improve the game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember him from the Justice League cartoon were he was part of pretty much every villain team in the show. He would lose fights due to outsmarting himself. For example grabbing on to Hawkgirl when he realized his newest team was going to lose and ordering her to fly him to safe place or he would kill her. She just flew up into the air and when he threatened to kill her she pointed out that if he did so he would fall a few hundred feet and splat on the ground.

Like you said it seemed like he was in every villain team-up the show ever did, but he always contributed nothing except maybe little distractions here and there. Like he would jump on Batmans back and bite him but its not like you were supposed to think Batman was in any danger whatsoever. They had a few villains like that over the years that were just there pretty much to be mocked. They had Goldface around for a while and used him to make Luthor look badass but thats about it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I just hope they keep the controls as simple as they have been for the first two games. I love that fighting is mostly based around timing your attacks rather than remembering some rote fighting game-esque pattern of button mashes to simply punch a guy. My biggest fear is that some dev will get the idea that making the fighting system more complex will somehow improve the game.

It would, so long as you don't change the punch, stun, run/dodge, counter, and quick gadgets. Add in a new throw move or some thing as a new combination of buttons and it's fine. Just don't gently caress with the basics when you add to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I'd really like for them to do is move Detective Vision to like one of the L3/R3 Left Stick/Right Stick buttons on a console controller and use that button for something else. If you turned it into a modifier button or something you could add a whole bunch of extra moves without screwing up the combat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Epi Lepi posted:

That link isn't working for me.

Here is a better version of the image anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is a better version of the image anyway
Turns out it was wrong, too:

revised ad:

[Source of both]

DFu4ever posted:

Sounds like things are mostly the same as before, control-wise, so I wouldn't worry.
"...it was apparent that the combat, stealth, and gadget selection remain unchanged."

It would appear that Bullock is going to show up in some way, as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 26, 2013

• Locked thread