Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Quick update, it's another riffing video on some footage that had to have been filmed with a baby potato. As blanktester said, not even the scan lines are visible! Oh, and the voice you haven't heard before is Blakout, who will be another internet guest in future videos.

Again, I'm hoping to do one for more of the game that have been done or will be done, and if you guys see any related videos or have any suggestions, send them forth. I have a feeling we won't get nearly the same types of people that lead to the better retsupurae videos like the my-first-government-criticism Final Fantasy dude or the directly-talks-to-pokemon-character-and-she-talks-back guy, but hey, it's worth a shot.

A language could not be detected! Please try again (riffing video)

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Ok, home stretch on MH2. On to Los Angeles, which is one of the more colorful and interesting levels compared to the brown-ness of others. THis level is also one of the more...artsy ones, as you'll see. This episode is dedicated to Tinker, who straight up died. And then came back a few minutes later, but still.

RIP Tinker (1993-2013,2013- )

Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 Part 7: Los Angeles

Text Link

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Man, Matt Hoffman is probably the most Non-Hawk sports game I played. Managed to 100% this game way back when and it was pretty great seeing it in action again.

Some of those LA challenges are pretty annoying with some of the flatlanders though, I remember one gap and challenge in particular that kept giving me problems.

It's a shame that there was no Pro BMX 3.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Those challenge titles just follow the standard rules for capitalization in titles: always capitalize the first word; always capitalize that word, capitalize anything in between that isn't an article or a preposition. :eng101:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

blanktester posted:

I'll second this. Tinker is a crazy person in real life, so I think you guys are getting too much Tinker and not enough sanity. Even so, more videos on the way.

Well, I say "I love how", but I do legitimately enjoy the videos of you straight-up demonstrating what the game has to offer, moreso than any wacky commentary that goes on alongside. Especially the downhill-style games, since those ones tend to be a lot more varied and interesting in the level design.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Houle posted:

Man, Matt Hoffman is probably the most Non-Hawk sports game I played. Managed to 100% this game way back when and it was pretty great seeing it in action again.

Some of those LA challenges are pretty annoying with some of the flatlanders though, I remember one gap and challenge in particular that kept giving me problems.

It's a shame that there was no Pro BMX 3.

Was it the "Perfect Alley-Oop over the Awning" challenge? Because I did not expect to get that first try, and that's why I did it a few more times to show how hard it should have been...before getting it on my third try as well. First time I played LA that one challenge took me a few minutes.

Six Of Spades posted:

Well, I say "I love how", but I do legitimately enjoy the videos of you straight-up demonstrating what the game has to offer, moreso than any wacky commentary that goes on alongside. Especially the downhill-style games, since those ones tend to be a lot more varied and interesting in the level design.

Hey, did Downhill Domination ever start working better for you than it did...uhh...like 10 months ago?

Literally yesterday I was like "hey, Six Of Spades hasn't posted here in a while"

Insetik fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 22, 2013

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Sadly, no. While I can still play stages, doing stuff like going to the shop after finishing a stage will lock up the game. It's still Sooooorta playable, but it's such a hassle, I ended up backburnering it.

Yeah, I don't post super often, whoops! I've still been keeping up with the thread, though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I really need to come up with some sort of contest and then mail these games off as the prizes. I just can't come up with anything funny or ridiculous enough. I'll need a contest to come up with a contest at this rate...

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Ovues posted:

I really need to come up with some sort of contest and then mail these games off as the prizes. I just can't come up with anything funny or ridiculous enough. I'll need a contest to come up with a contest at this rate...

Best Tinker impression wins. Got this one in the bag~

Edit: Oh man I forgot about dadchat. Highlight of the video.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 23, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
So we've gone all across the US on our "epic road trip", and now it's time for our prize: Tiki Park. On one hand, it's sort of like a theme park, and is all about tricks. On the other hand, it's extremely brown and sort of boring. On the THIRD HAND, the game has one last surprise up its sleeve after we've done the challenges, and if you don't know what's coming, you will be blown away. Also, to cap off the amazing audio commentary that's been going on during this whole game, Skype kept dropping me during this call but blanktester and Blakout just went on without me, making fun of me the whole time. Soooo yeah, maybe the next game will be slightly more normal (nope).

Also, don't look up the gif in spoilers below the video link if you don't want to be...ummm...spoiled by amazement.

Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 Part 8: Tiki Park

Text Link

***********great gif below*****************

Next up: MH2 map editor maybe?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 25, 2013

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

***********great gif below*****************

Next up: MH2 map editor maybe?

LAVA MONSTER SWAG #hashbag420yoloswolomanceroftheyear

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Been away from my computer for a few weeks and haven't had a chance to catch up on these vids until now, but holy poo poo, that was me in the Chicago vid you called out. Haha. Best part of my day.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hah, small world I guess. That's pretty cool.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You should get your mitts on a 360 and go through Amped 3. I just want to see you and your crew's reactions :allears:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

You should get your mitts on a 360 and go through Amped 3. I just want to see you and your crew's reactions :allears:

I'll never forgive that game for not having an autosave and then crashing on me after 4 hours. Which means I've only played 4 hours of it, so maybe.

(I know why you want me to play it ;))

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So my net takeaway from that game is that professional BMX bikers are some of the most boring people alive.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yup, that might have been a little boring. In response, I've found another BMX game, and its plot/other things are definitely going to blow you all away. Uhh, you can probably figure it out by way of no other BMX games having a plot. And I think I talked about it, like, last page. But first, another one-shot!

Let's NOT Play ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding

(apparently this game has like 5 front covers. Mine is different, but there wasn't a big enough image of it)

What is this game?
Did you watch ESPN X Games Skateboarding? It's like that, but worse. 0/10. There. That's you rating.

I'm not kidding when I say that I can't pass any events. In racing, everyone's just faster than you, and the tricking system is really inconsistent at letting you land. What I tried to say in the video is that I don't think you can STOP spinning. You have to hope that you'll just land with your board forwards/backwards if you go for one. Again, I THINK IT'S PURE CHANCE THAT YOU'LL LAND ANYTHING. I'd like to say something about the campaign mode, but again, I'm not actually going to see more of it than the first event.

On a lighter note, again, click on any of the beautiful gifs below to get to the video.

Text Link

*********************************************************************************

Oh yeah, and as I was giving this video some tags, I didsovered one that I definitely didn't know was a thing.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Every time I thought to myself, "That has to be the worst extreme sports game there is", Insetik finds another one that's even worse. I can't believe that people actually got paid to make this game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Every time I thought to myself, "That has to be the worst extreme sports game there is", Insetik finds another one that's even worse. I can't believe that people actually got paid to make this game.

In Konami's defense, now X Games Skateboarding doesn't seem as bad, despite only coming out a year later. Konami really did a lot more sports games than I thought they did.

But yeah, this game and the next one (but especially this one) are prime examples of "anyone who thinks I just suck should play the game themselves". Oh yeah, and the one good song on the soundtrack was Dear Kate by Dynamite Hack. They're pretty underrated.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Was it the "Perfect Alley-Oop over the Awning" challenge? Because I did not expect to get that first try, and that's why I did it a few more times to show how hard it should have been...before getting it on my third try as well. First time I played LA that one challenge took me a few minutes.

Hey, did Downhill Domination ever start working better for you than it did...uhh...like 10 months ago?

Literally yesterday I was like "hey, Six Of Spades hasn't posted here in a while"

I believe it was one of the perfect challenges yeah, as well as one of the transfer challenges in LA. I 100% gap check listed the game, I don't even remember if I got anything for all that tedium. .... Activision02

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, a little late in getting this started, but are you guys ready for an experience unlike any other? These LPs have pushed the boundary of extreme sports time and time again, but this next game may finally set the bar too high for anything else to ever beat it. Are you ready?

MXB: Most Extreme Elimination...Biking. Let's Play Toxic Grind!

What is this game?
Toxic Grind is a BMX game unlike any other boooooring biking game. This game follows a ridiculous story of a future where extreme sports are illegal and a game show where those caught doing it are faced with the challenge of their lives. Running out of 'subjects' for the show, the man in charge, Dixon Von Blass, is looking to the past to steal talent from when BMX was first on the rise...

With the plot aside, Toxic Grind is still a game where you ride around levels completing challenges and doing sweet tricks. However, here, the levels are full of traps and are more over the top than many of the levels in other extreme sports games. I mean, this twenty second clip basically sold me on the game. Look at it! Hopefully it will be more fun to watch than it is to play. Which leads me to the next part...

On a scale of 1 to 10, what does it get?
The actual game mechanics, however, aren't that great. You can technically do everything you can do in any good game like this - air tricks, grinds, manuals, stalls - but it's not very easy to do anything big. Everything feels sort of clunky all around, you fall off your bike if you do any jump bigger than 30 feet or so, and you just don't seem to get enough air to do the 'awesome' adrenaline moves or, again, pull anything big. Also, the levels themselves can be extremely confusing to navigate your way through, and some of the levels (with their challenges) took me far too long in single player mode because I had a lot of trouble actually finding out what to do. Hopefully, you'll see in later videos. The first levels are all about getting you into the mechanics of the game, and so there's nothing really offensive in it. However, once you kind of get the hang of it, the game settles down around a 5 or 6, raised up a bit by its ridiculous plot and voice acting.

With all that said, maybe I am being a bit too negative, or maybe I'm being too positive. If you have an original Xbox, pick this game up and try it out yourself.

Toxic Grind Part 1: Jason in the year 2000

Text Link

EDIT: Just checking to see if this would look good as an avatar.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 5, 2013

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Croccers posted:

You should get your mitts on a 360 and go through Amped 3. I just want to see you and your crew's reactions.

I haven't seen the game, and I won't look it up, but I do have a 360 and if I'm not mistaken Insetik has an HD capture card (unless he sold the one I convinced his mom to get him for his birthday (you know what I got for my last birthday? loving nothing. (to be fair, I haven't gotten birthday presents since I was 14 (Am I bitter? NO, OF COURSE NOT)))). We'll see.

I can't wait to commentate on this "Toxic Grind" mess. I have so many silly voices to try out!! :allears:

blanktester fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 7, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, most of the discussion on this game is in the YT comments, but this is still a flawed gem you've found here, guys, and it's fairly awesome you're giving it a go. I'd agree with most of the peeps, in that Torque probably improves your speed/acceleration, weight gives you more inertia/height, and stability is good for things like manuals and grinds. Also, I was kind of surprised after looking at the voice cast... And very amused after looking them up on IMDB. Greg Thall doesn't exist, as far as IMDB knows or cares, and not a single one of them has toxic grind listed on their IMDB cvs. :D

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
A guy put up a post in the LP Sandcastle for Amped 3, and I'd be ok with letting him do it, especially since I don't know if any of our laptops could handle HD recording.

blanktester posted:

I can't wait to commentate on this "Toxic Grind" mess. I have so many silly voices to try out!! :allears:

Speaking of which, guys, Tinker may or may not have 'retired from commentary'. I tried a couple nights ago to get him to do one but he said no, and I'll try again tonight, but I don't think he ever recovered after drinking that soy milk. I'll keep this thread updated :ohdear:

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 6, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
RIP Tinker

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I may have spoken a bit too soon, since I got him back for this video. After recording, he immediately went back into retirement though, so huh. Anyways, after a battle in the Toxic Grinder, we finally get to the first 'real' level of the game, Rave.

Toxic Grind Part 2: This show gets rave reviews

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

I may have spoken a bit too soon, since I got him back for this video. After recording, he immediately went back into retirement though, so huh.

Tinker continues to blur the line between life and death, being a sickly, scrawny, piece of poo poo.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

blanktester posted:

Tinker continues to blur the line between life and death, being a sickly, scrawny, piece of poo poo.

Keep him away from mediocre soy milk, then.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is it really fair to pull someone into the future then call them a criminal right off the bat? BMX riding wasn't illegal back then and he didn't get the chance to do any illegal BMX riding! Worst story :colbert:
Also is Dark Summit another one of those extreme sport games with a plot? For years I saw copies of that in the second-hand store but I never picked it up.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
I kind of wish this game had better mechanics. The visuals are different enough from the other BMX games that you've played that it's actually sort of interesting looking.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

Is it really fair to pull someone into the future then call them a criminal right off the bat? BMX riding wasn't illegal back then and he didn't get the chance to do any illegal BMX riding! Worst story :colbert:
Also is Dark Summit another one of those extreme sport games with a plot? For years I saw copies of that in the second-hand store but I never picked it up.

Yup, I haven't played it yet but Dark Summit has some plot about an evil government weapon being developed in a hidden base on a mountain and there are a bunch of sik radical snowboarders who discover it and then have to ward off the government's attempts to capture them or something like that. Like I said, I've got a "plot block" of sorts planned for later and that game is definitely in it. Speaking of plot-

Toxic Grind Part 3: The Highway To Hell Chronicles Part 1

Text Link

So I hope you guys like classic rock because beardhha's Xbox is full of it, this game lets you play a custom soundtrack, and anything's better than the actual level music (with one exception). I also hope you all like my failed boss battle attempt, and may it answer any and all questions about this game's clunkyness. Unless you have other questions, and in that case, ask away :)

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Eeeeyy, Woody!

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Agreed. After the next episode, I don't think I'll be in Insetik's videos for a little while. My computer at home is on the fritz so we'll see what happens. Maybe some guests, maybe not. It's his call.

Either way, this Grind only gets more Toxic from here.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

Agreed. After the next episode, I don't think I'll be in Insetik's videos for a little while. My computer at home is on the fritz so we'll see what happens. Maybe some guests, maybe not. It's his call.

Either way, this Grind only gets more Toxic from here.

Let me tell you about this kid's audio, alright, so during the comm, his videos are lagging, right? Well, I get his audio, and it's TOO FAST. Like, he starts responding to stuff I say before I say it! Whazzzupwidat? This mister frasier right here, man... this maxie foster...

On the next short episode of Toxic Grind, I have to do my best to survive the very deadly deathtrap of the Underwater Tunnel. Will I make it out alive? Or rather, will I do it in one try? And why is Jason able to grind upside down?

Toxic Grind Part 4: The Highway To Hell Chronicles Part 2

Text Link

EDIT: Chayne only died 'cuz she looked at the explosion

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Wow... that's some serious "You ARE The Chosen One" poo poo right there. Are you the BMX messiah? Yes? How can we tell? I can grind upside down!

I'm learning to just roll with the crazy on this one...

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Wow... that's some serious "You ARE The Chosen One" poo poo right there. Are you the BMX messiah? Yes? How can we tell? I can grind upside down!

I'm learning to just roll with the crazy on this one...

See, there's actually a Magnet Pegs powerup (perfect balance) that shows up next level, and I could buy that being a reason you could grind upside down. I mean, the pegs are magnetic! But no, we don't get that here and so Jason can just... grind upside down.

Bargain bin superpower: The ability to, using a skateboard/bike/roller blades/scooter/etc, grind on rails while upside down, but only as well as you can grind on them rightside up.

EDIT: Also, I didn't see your last post until now, and now I want to go to a convention that Jon St John is at and make him recite lines from this game. That, or make Ryan Drummond do it and try to redeem his awful performance.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 18, 2013

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure SSX Tricky has some spiral rails. Or maybe Sonic Adventure 2 just had so much of an influence on gaming in the PS2 era, no one cares about grinding improbability if it looks rad.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

I'm pretty sure SSX Tricky has some spiral rails. Or maybe Sonic Adventure 2 just had so much of an influence on gaming in the PS2 era, no one cares about grinding improbability if it looks rad.

Sonic would have been moving so fast in those segments with upside down rails that you could almost justify it on a momentum basis... almost. But Jason is in no way moving fast enough for that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Jason is barely moving fast enough to stay upright on the rails in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Again, they could've just given me a magnet powerup! It's what they do starting here, on another absolutely action-packed episode of Toxic Grind!. And by that, I mean "wtf how am I supposed to get anywhere in here?"

Toxic Grind Part 5: Fetch quests, in MY extreme sports game?

Text Link

• Locked thread