Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have been without internet access at home since this morning.

Reading between the lines, it's pretty clear that Rogers cut the cable and are dragging their feet on getting it fixed. They said 6 hours at 1:30 PM
Really? You think it was deliberate sabotage? As far as I know it could have been a construction issue, or some junkie or whatever.

But TekSavvy updated to say Ontario routing issues are fixed an hour ago. I still have to reload most pages several times before I see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

teethgrinder posted:

Really? You think it was deliberate sabotage? As far as I know it could have been a construction issue, or some junkie or whatever.

But TekSavvy updated to say Ontario routing issues are fixed an hour ago. I still have to reload most pages several times before I see anything.

Not so much deliberate, but yes, I feel like the fact that they didn't send someone to look until 1:30 really smacks of them dragging their feet./

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This is interesting
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/07/17/technology-gigabit-internet-olds.html

quote:

Ultrafast internet speeds that most Canadian city dwellers can only dream of will soon be available to all 8,500 residents in a rural Alberta community for as little as $57 a month, thanks to a project by the town's non-profit economic development foundation.

"We'll be the first 'gig town' in Canada," said Nathan Kusiek, director of marketing for O-Net, the community-owned internet service provider that runs the fibre optic network being built by the non-profit Olds Institute for Community and Regional Development in Olds, Alta., about 90 kilometres north of Calgary.

On Thursday, the board of O-Net gave approval for residents to get access to a full gigabit (or 1,000 megabits) per second of bandwidth for the same price that they currently pay for a guaranteed download speed of 100 megabits per second — $57 to $90 a month, depending on whether they have bundled their internet with TV and phone service
But eventually installation progressed and the Olds Institute began inviting large, commercial internet providers to offer their services via the new network. All of them refused to use a network they had not installed themselves, Gustafson said.

The community was undeterred. It came up with a new plan.

"We said, 'Well I guess if we're going to do this, we have to do our own services,'" Gustafson recalled.

The Olds Institute spent $3.5 million to buy the necessary electronic equipment to run internet and other services on the network and to build a central office to house it all. Last July, it launched O-Net.

The community-owned service offers not just internet, but also phone and IPTV services — TV signals carried on the network that includes dozens of SD and HD channels, and movies on demand that can be paused and later resumed.

All told, the project will probably have cost $13 million to $14 million when it's complete, Gustafson said.

"It's a very gutsy thing on behalf of council here in Olds to approve something like that," he added.
100 per cent coverage expected in 2014

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 19, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thats pretty incredible for them to just say gently caress it, we'll do it ourselves and it'll be better then anything in Canada.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
So at $14M to install that means it will cost every person in town about $1650. Considering not everybody is going to pay for those services that makes it a pretty lengthy RoE. If it's even possible to ever break even with that?

If the average household has 3 people that ups the cost to almost $5000 per subscriber, if every household subscribes. I guess if every household pays an average of $70/month it would only take about 6 years to pay for that (assuming no upkeep/interest costs). Maybe there's government grants and such that bring that cost down though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The article notes a 2.5 million dollar grant from the province, which would take a bite out of things. It's meant to be heavily used by the college, who will probably pay heftily for the service, and businesses seem to buy in at five grand a month too. If there are outfits sending USB keys via courier because the town's bandwidth was poo poo, there's probably some demand for that service bracket.

But yeah, if they were just selling residential service, that would be a different story.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

In more Teksavvy is the best news They slashed prices in response to Rogers BS about unlimited plans. As well, they applied it to all their customers with their service. They did not call people up and say "You need a new service to get cheaper" and actually notified all those it applied too that their bill would be lower.

God, I hope they continue being awesome.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

bunnyofdoom posted:

In more Teksavvy is the best news They slashed prices in response to Rogers BS about unlimited plans. As well, they applied it to all their customers with their service. They did not call people up and say "You need a new service to get cheaper" and actually notified all those it applied too that their bill would be lower.

God, I hope they continue being awesome.

This happened in March. I thought they did something awesome again :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

This happened in March. I thought they did something awesome again :(

Oh. Sorry, I got the email yesterday from them. I thought it was recent as well.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what Teksavvy service is like in the London, Ontario area these days? I'm on Rogers with a Docsis 2 modem I bought years ago, and I'm only getting 90 gig of the 120 I should per month because they're using the higher cap as a carrot for upgrading to docsis 3 devices.

I'm trying to decide if it's more worth my while to drop $100 on a new Rogers modem for another 30 gigs of bandwidth (which, even given my housemate's discovery of video on demand and full-length movies on Youtube, would probably be more than comfortable), or spend $200 on fees to switch to Teksavvy and a different new modem, get their $60ish unlimited plan, and run the risk of Rogers dragging their feet whenever the network goes pear shaped.

Much as I'd like to stick it to Rogers, and unlimited bandwidth would be nice, both of us start to get twitchy when the network goes down, and she sometimes uses a VPN to work from home.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Teksavvy uses Rogers for their last-mile, so if your Rogers connection has been reliable Teksavvy should be equally so.

With that said, Teksavvy in London has been absolutely rock-solid for me. I've had them for about three years now and I can only recount a few times where there was an unexpected service outage, and of those only one lasted longer than a half-hour. They just rolled out new infrastructure in London to support their new ATPIA packages and I haven't had any problems with it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Start's unlimited plans are cheaper than Teksavvy's in most locations. Their standard plans are similar speeds but with lower usage limits.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! And cool, looks like I'll have something to chat with the housemate about. :)

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Hmm, am I right in understanding that Start.ca doesn't offer unlimited at higher speeds? The site implies you need to sit at 6Mbit for that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For DSL, yes, but we were talking about cable.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is Rogers/Start.ca's internet going ok for everyone lately? For the last few days it appears that the speeds are considerably lower. I have the 150Mbps package, and instead of the 10-15MB/s that normally i get, im down to 1-2MB/s. If i do a simple wget from uwaterloo's mirror of something, I get at most 200KB/s.

Maybe it's just at peak time. Web browsing doesnt seem to be affected, but the download speeds are quite a bit lower. I thought about calling them (and if this persists I certainly will), but I'm just curious if it's just me (maybe my modem would be to blame, a Thomson DCM475) or there's something going on in the waterloo area.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

Is Rogers/Start.ca's internet going ok for everyone lately? For the last few days it appears that the speeds are considerably lower. I have the 150Mbps package, and instead of the 10-15MB/s that normally i get, im down to 1-2MB/s. If i do a simple wget from uwaterloo's mirror of something, I get at most 200KB/s.

Maybe it's just at peak time. Web browsing doesnt seem to be affected, but the download speeds are quite a bit lower. I thought about calling them (and if this persists I certainly will), but I'm just curious if it's just me (maybe my modem would be to blame, a Thomson DCM475) or there's something going on in the waterloo area.

uwaterloo's servers are pretty slow, I usually max out around there if I try to pull anything from them. What's your setup like when downloading? Are you wired in directly or on WiFi? I haven't noticed any slowdowns on my (rogers) connection, and I'm in the same area.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

uwaterloo's servers are pretty slow, I usually max out around there if I try to pull anything from them. What's your setup like when downloading? Are you wired in directly or on WiFi? I haven't noticed any slowdowns on my (rogers) connection, and I'm in the same area.

I use wired of course (wired the entire house, got an ethernet jack in every room), and when i download something bigger, I usually use a program that would spawn multiple connections for the same thing (sabnzbd for usenet, my own 2 download managers for simple http/ftp that spawn 20-30 connections each, and i have other usenet clients that i wrote myself). I use supernews for my usenet needs, and I dont break 2MB/s. And even now im trying to watch the redbull SC2 event on twitch.tv and I cannot watch it at 720p+ . And nobody is downloading anything in my house at the moment.

I probably should just call start.ca

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

I use wired of course (wired the entire house, got an ethernet jack in every room), and when i download something bigger, I usually use a program that would spawn multiple connections for the same thing (sabnzbd for usenet, my own 2 download managers for simple http/ftp that spawn 20-30 connections each, and i have other usenet clients that i wrote myself). I use supernews for my usenet needs, and I dont break 2MB/s. And even now im trying to watch the redbull SC2 event on twitch.tv and I cannot watch it at 720p+ . And nobody is downloading anything in my house at the moment.

I probably should just call start.ca

Probably! Make sure you reboot your modem first!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Probably! Make sure you reboot your modem first!

I did that yesterday. No change. Now my upload speed is higher than my dowload: :(

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

I did that yesterday. No change. Now my upload speed is higher than my dowload: :(

:iiam: Call start and get them to take a look, they probably won't bite.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

:iiam: Call start and get them to take a look, they probably won't bite.

Did just that, and after a long wait on the phone, a support guy came along and when he saw my IP (135.0.24.xx) all he had to say is :wth:. Apparently my modem has been badly provisioned (and that's why speedtest sees me as belonging to CIK Telecom (who are they?)).

After factory reset of the modem, rerun dhclient em0 few times, still getting the same IP, a ticket was created and that will hopefully fix my issue (24-48 hours). Strangely, I was getting the 150Mbps every now and then, that's why i didnt complain. But last week it was quite rare, and yea ... it was very low most of the time.

All in all, I hope my issue will get resolved asap and get the speeds im paying for all the time :).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I was getting 7/9 at some point (paying for 20/10). The way I figured out how to fix it is to hook your modem directly up to your computer before you boot the modem up. It then detected my computer's MAC address and set me back up with 20/10 again.

I tried MAC cloning on my router but it somehow still got detected as a router being connected.

Also, for some reason, it gave me an IP address from a server in Winnipeg when detecting my router v:confused:v

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Migishu posted:

I was getting 7/9 at some point (paying for 20/10). The way I figured out how to fix it is to hook your modem directly up to your computer before you boot the modem up. It then detected my computer's MAC address and set me back up with 20/10 again.

I tried MAC cloning on my router but it somehow still got detected as a router being connected.

Also, for some reason, it gave me an IP address from a server in Winnipeg when detecting my router v:confused:v

My modem is hooked directly to the computer all the time, since I have an OpenBSD Pentium 4 in the basement acting as a gateway (for some reason that is really strange to support guys, do people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house????). I just ssh into it and do anything that I would want.

I can set my MAC to anything that I want, but I hardly believe that's remotely advisable (unless you know a safe range). You can get into some weird networks (certainly not the one you're supposed to be into).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

rhag posted:

My modem is hooked directly to the computer all the time, since I have an OpenBSD Pentium 4 in the basement acting as a gateway (for some reason that is really strange to support guys, do people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house????). I just ssh into it and do anything that I would want.

I can set my MAC to anything that I want, but I hardly believe that's remotely advisable (unless you know a safe range). You can get into some weird networks (certainly not the one you're supposed to be into).

Lots of people use those best buy routers? It may surprise you to know not everyone has ethernet drops in every room of the house. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have, but I can't exactly go knocking down walls just to not use WiFi.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rhag posted:

... I have an OpenBSD Pentium 4 in the basement acting as a gateway (for some reason that is really strange to support guys, do people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house????). I just ssh into it and do anything that I would want.

Three things:

1) If you're going for sperg cred why not just get one of these and save the power draw from the least power efficient CPU on the planet?
2) You do realize that consumer routers have allowed free form MAC spoofing for literally more than a decade right? Hell, you can use any WRT based firmware and get SSH too, again without paying for 200+watt continuous draw just to route packets.
3) Regarding that last one, please, do tell.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Three things:

1) If you're going for sperg cred why not just get one of these and save the power draw from the least power efficient CPU on the planet?
2) You do realize that consumer routers have allowed free form MAC spoofing for literally more than a decade right? Hell, you can use any WRT based firmware and get SSH too, again without paying for 200+watt continuous draw just to route packets.
3) Regarding that last one, please, do tell.

I have my P4 because i bought it a decade ago and I just dont wanna throw it away. Why do I have a computer instead of a router? Http , mail, database, various programs that i wrote myself are running on that. I heard some linksys routers can run some heavily modified version of linux, but i never tried them. The flexibility a pc provides is way too tempting. I am writing my own poo poo on my own desktop pc, uploading it to the basement and it just works. What's not to love? Why would I wanna change that?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
You might find even a $100 second-hand core2 or newer system will do you better.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kachunkachunk posted:

You might find even a $100 second-hand core2 or newer system will do you better.

In what way? Any cpu made in the last 6 years would be faster than an old p4, but ... what would i need it for? To provide routing packets to the 10 ips in the network? The mail, http, etc. traffic that i get is not that demanding any way you slice it. My programs at mostly do some traffic counting and monitoring, nothing too much. Why would I spend 100$ when I can spend 0$? What would a new cpu provide that i dont already have (and I would need)?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rhag posted:

I have my P4 because i bought it a decade ago and I just dont wanna throw it away. Why do I have a computer instead of a router? Http , mail, database, various programs that i wrote myself are running on that. I heard some linksys routers can run some heavily modified version of linux, but i never tried them. The flexibility a pc provides is way too tempting. I am writing my own poo poo on my own desktop pc, uploading it to the basement and it just works. What's not to love? Why would I wanna change that?

You can cross compile for the ARM/MIPS environments that the Linksys/Buffalo/ASUS routers use and run your own stuff on an embedded device that already runs a Linux kernel with a busybox shell. If you're writing open source with standard libraries there's nothing stopping you unless you need proprietary binary blobs for something. But yes, as long as your time and the electricity you use has no cost, sure, why not. Just as long as you don't marvel about how people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house.

rhag posted:

In what way? Any cpu made in the last 6 years would be faster than an old p4, but ... what would i need it for? To provide routing packets to the 10 ips in the network? The mail, http, etc. traffic that i get is not that demanding any way you slice it. My programs at mostly do some traffic counting and monitoring, nothing too much. Why would I spend 100$ when I can spend 0$? What would a new cpu provide that i dont already have (and I would need)?

So, you don't actually need a P4 either, and the cost savings in power would offset the one time cost of a WRT compatible router in less than a year.

I'm still curious about the networks you got into by spoofing your MAC though.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 27, 2013

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

You can cross compile for the ARM/MIPS environments that the Linksys/Buffalo/ASUS routers use and run your own stuff on an embedded device that already runs a Linux kernel with a busybox shell. If you're writing open source with standard libraries there's nothing stopping you unless you need proprietary binary blobs for something. But yes, as long as your time and the electricity you use has no cost, sure, why not. Just as long as you don't marvel about how people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house.

So, you don't actually need a P4 either, and the cost savings in power would offset the one time cost of a WRT compatible router in less than a year.

I'm still curious about the networks you got into by spoofing your MAC though.

I can cross-compile for sure, I still don't have an answer as for why. For the power consumption, I have an UPS in the basement that reports a grand total of 60W for everything thats in there (a switch, a wireless thingy, a NAS with 2 HDDs, etc. ). My monthly power bill is around 75$ in the summer (with AC and all), why would I spend 30$ on a router that i would have to cross-compile for? To get my money back in a year or so? I have everything that I need with the setup that I have, why would I wanna change? There is no apparent benefit to that, only downsides.

The last time i tried a best buy router (a linksys) it choked on 10 or more connections at the same time. Im sure they're better now (it was in 2004), but I honestly see no reason to go to them. OpenBSD gives everything that I need and more. It is a very secure and powerful i386 OS. For now, that's all that I need.

About my MAC spoofing..I didnt get anywhere, it was a lovely provisioning by the ISP. Why am I on CIK Telecom? your guess is as good as mine. I cant wait for them to fix it though.

Edit: 60KW that's huge, 60W is more in line to what I wanted to say

Volguus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 27, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought about taking an old PC and using it as a router once. Twice, maybe. Way back before Red Hat had its IPO. I didn't, because I had better things to do than teach myself a then-terribly documented OS and the vagaries of its networking code, and didn't need a file box or mail server in the basement. I still don't, and at a conservative guess I suspect that 99% of home broadband users don't either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rhag posted:

...For now, that's all that I need.

About my MAC spoofing..I didnt get anywhere, it was a lovely provisioning by the ISP. Why am I on CIK Telecom? your guess is as good as mine. I cant wait for them to fix it though.

Fair enough. I was just saying it doesn't make any kind of sense in any scenario other than "because I want to".

Regarding the CIK thing, that's probably an upstream issue, your router/PC's MAC isn't likely to make a difference as far as your ISP's DHCP server is concerned unless it's already registered elsewhere (actually, this may have happened, check for packet loss). I had the same kind of performance drop with an unaffected upload on Teksavvy DSL, apparently caused by a faulty fibre interconnect at the Bell node for my neighbourhood.

edit:

rhag posted:

...I have an UPS in the basement that reports a grand total of 60KWh for everything thats in there (a switch, a wireless thingy, a NAS with 2 HDDs, etc.)

Holy poo poo. That seems a bit high...

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 27, 2013

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I thought about taking an old PC and using it as a router once. Twice, maybe. Way back before Red Hat had its IPO. I didn't, because I had better things to do than teach myself a then-terribly documented OS and the vagaries of its networking code, and didn't need a file box or mail server in the basement. I still don't, and at a conservative guess I suspect that 99% of home broadband users don't either.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I just can't see myself without my tools. They're my eyes on the network. No packet goes through without me knowing about it. Since the linksys experiment for me went sour very fast, I obviously went back to my old p4.
I, of course, cannot understand those that don't need/want this kind of control. I see in my neighborhood dozens of wifi networks, secured by bell, dlink or linksys, surely in their default configuration. Why would anyone do this is beyond me, but as you said, maybe some people dont wanna teach themselves a terribly documented OS. To each their own, i suppose. If it works for you, then by all means go ahead. This kind of "judgment" is a bit new to me and scary to be honest as I was not expecting the replies. For me is just common sense (wire everything, put openbsd as the gateway, write some loving tools to monitor poo poo, etc. ) but i guess i was/am in the wrong here.
Until I can get a good reason to switch i'll stick to my habits and probably die a very old and lonely man. The neighborhood freak :).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There are a lot of good, robust, consumer grade solutions that offer monitoring and QOS and filtering without having to reinvent the wheel. If you prefer to roll your own that's cool, but why be smug about it? There are better options these days, you just have to do a bit of research.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

There are a lot of good, robust, consumer grade solutions that offer monitoring and QOS and filtering without having to reinvent the wheel. If you prefer to roll your own that's cool, but why be smug about it? There are better options these days, you just have to do a bit of research.

And where the gently caress did the "smug" thingy came from? Are there better/already done tools out there? Of course there are. Why is that even news? Do they suit me? Not those that I tried. WTF is with the "smug" business?

This conversation is probably better suited for the "Home networking" thread than here. I would have been smug to go there and teach them how setup a home network. But I didnt. For me the consumer grade solutions are insufficient at best, dangerous at worst. But for most they can work just fine. That's why i dont go and post there, everyone is entitled to build their network as they see fit, according to their needs and wants. I setup mine exactly how i wanted to and the only reason you heard about it is because somebody asked me about my non existent wireless solution (a honest and normal question after all).

Where's the smug that you keep on talking about?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 27, 2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smug?

rhag posted:

(for some reason that is really strange to support guys, do people actually use those best buy routers and put them besides some computer in the house????)

rhag posted:

I see in my neighborhood dozens of wifi networks, secured by bell, dlink or linksys, surely in their default configuration. Why would anyone do this is beyond me, but as you said, maybe some people dont wanna teach themselves a terribly documented OS.

Sorry, I obviously took that too far. I appologize, and I'll drop the point.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Smug?

Sorry, I obviously took that too far. I appologize, and I'll drop the point.

For me both those points do not make any sense whatsoever. I do not see anything "smug" about them, just nonsense "consumer grade" networking. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone to use that, other than laziness. However, I agree that this went too far, and i apologize as well for my outbursts. The home networking thread is a better place for this discussion.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

rhag posted:

For me both those points do not make any sense whatsoever. I do not see anything "smug" about them, just nonsense "consumer grade" networking. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone to use that, other than laziness.
This is smug as can be. Either you're trolling or autistic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

rhag posted:

I'm just digging at the P4 and its available platforms, really. Later chipsets and processors offer more PCI-E lanes so you can throw in more NICs, storage adapters, and whatever else. And I think given what your interests are in the network, you do appreciate/want that extra computing power while using less actual power. I use pfsense and netflows, along with multiple gig ports, personally.

Something I'm trying to look into is a way to classify traffic coming in from specific applications and processes on any given client system. For instance if Steam now does content system downloads from port 80 which looks like normal HTTP traffic, how can I tag/mark packets for just the Steam downloads without knowing all the content servers' destination IPs?
Trying to do some source-based routing or at least prioritization. But I think in the end it'll be easier to just netstat the destination IPs and make some traditional rules.

... I really should get into the home networking thread now too.