Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I hesitate to ask, but what's the story with the Sarevok romance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pizdec posted:

Do not know, do not want to know. It exists, and that's the extent of my knowledge on it. I know quite a bit about the Imoen Romance because I was one of the main proofreaders for the mod's revamp, which promised to clean the mod up extensively. A promise not entirely supported by what I saw.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vorgen posted:

Ok, I looked this up. There is an option in Sword Coast Stratagems II that tries to prevent chunking. From here:

So it isn't possible to prevent all forms of chunking but many are prevented. If I reinstall BWP I can not choose that.

Wait, what? Then can I retract my vote? It's kind of meaningless if Will is basically immune to death by mad gibs.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Heh, the Fallout: New Vegas installs I've seen....
Wtf did they do to Keldorn though? Sarevok, I can kinda imagine. But Mr. Paladin?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

stille posted:

Wtf did they do to Keldorn though? Sarevok, I can kinda imagine. But Mr. Paladin?

Blame the modder responsible for Gavin. Broken families and homes are her thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I always help Keldorn reconcile. It's just so mean to everyone to do anything else :smith:

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

Shugojin posted:

I always help Keldorn reconcile. It's just so mean to everyone to do anything else :smith:

Same here. The first time I played BG2 I chose the option to arrest the guy and have Keldorn's wife imprisoned (I was thinking because Keldorn was a paladin, he should uphold the law). After seeing the results, I couldn't bear to do that again and so every time I do his quest, I let them reconcile :unsmith:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Quarter Past Ten posted:

Same here. The first time I played BG2 I chose the option to arrest the guy and have Keldorn's wife imprisoned (I was thinking because Keldorn was a paladin, he should uphold the law). After seeing the results, I couldn't bear to do that again and so every time I do his quest, I let them reconcile :unsmith:

And the same here as well. My first playthrough, I figured since he's a Paladin, he'd want me to do the most Lawful thing, so I made that choice and then [future spoiler redacted] :smith:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Serifina posted:

Wait, what? Then can I retract my vote? It's kind of meaningless if Will is basically immune to death by mad gibs.

ok

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Thanks. I just think it's kind of silly to lose two votes on what's effectively an impossible bet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Serifina posted:

Thanks. I just think it's kind of silly to lose two votes on what's effectively an impossible bet.

He could still stumble over an undetected fire trap...

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Has anyone voted 'No one dies'? If not, i do it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Arkeus posted:

Has anyone voted 'No one dies'? If not, i do it.
We've already had a death. Don't throw away your votes!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

We've already had a death. Don't throw away your votes!

Oh, voting counts for even the parts we already did? nevermind then.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You could say "No FURTHER deaths", but saying "No deaths" is asking for it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pizdec posted:

As a girl myself, I can...

Okay, don't look at me like that. I could perhaps suggest that the attraction would be his AMAZING VOICE. He's also a pretty interesting character in general toward the end.

I can think of much worse reasons to make a romance mod. Most of these worse reasons involve pointing at the creator of that Imoen mod, but still, there are worse reasons!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Okay, don't look at me like that. I could perhaps suggest that the attraction would be his AMAZING VOICE.

Heh, I can just imagine it now. "Hey baby, how about you and I gather our party and venture forth, if you know what I mean?" (Yes, Sarevok's voice actor recorded those lines too. If you click on an area exit you'll probably get that message 3 or 4 times before everybody gets there. It is one of the most iconic things about BG2.)

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I could perhaps suggest that the attraction would be his AMAZING VOICE.
I can see that. Reading Shar-Teel's lines in Kevin Michael Richardson's voice is how I got through that part of the LP.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

Heh, I can just imagine it now. "Hey baby, how about you and I gather our party and venture forth, if you know what I mean?" (Yes, Sarevok's voice actor recorded those lines too. If you click on an area exit you'll probably get that message 3 or 4 times before everybody gets there. It is one of the most iconic things about BG2.)

It's actually my ringtone! I call it my geek detector. Phone goes off, guy flinches? He's totally played Baldur's Gate.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's actually my ringtone! I call it my geek detector. Phone goes off, guy flinches? He's totally played Baldur's Gate.

Hah, for a while I did the same thing with 'And the Rivers run Red!'

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

---
Trunk and branch, twig and leaf,
Memory is a reality thief.
---

The stone will never be yours. My Banites will have your head within the hour. It will make a fine trophy for Teldorn. Let us waste no more time. Draw steel!!

Run everybody! To the corner!

We all unleash the magic. Viconia with her Wand of the Heavens. Xzar with his Ettin's Wand, trying to Hold someone. Me with my Glyph of Wild Magic. The melee guys try to take out the nearest archer immediately.

I see an incoming spell and guess that it is probably Chaos. I look to Dispel to counter it.

It is in fact Chaos, and it strikes Kagain, Alora, and Xzar. But Rhialto's Spellbook knows the Dispel we need to survive. I page through it while my Glyph of Wild Magic unleashes the raw power of the Weave.

It kindof works...

I focus my magic on the nearest mage next - Hanwen. The Weave strips him bare, magically speaking.

And then more bare.

I find myself being damaged by swords of all things, when Kagain is Sphered and Xzar is attacked!

The Stone Golem breaks through our lines and obliterates Alora!

Where is my front line? Well Kagain is in a bubble and Khalid is asleep on the floor. Great.

Xzar manages to summon some snake-men with his Wand of Monster Summoning, but the stone golem looks to be focusing on him next. There is nothing I can do.

I just keep throwing out magic at the casters while Xzar is smashed to bits by the Stone Golem. Why did I ever think taking him was a good idea?

Viconia enters melee with the Stone Golem and greatly damages him with her Enlightenment mace.

My next random throw of the weave summons both an earth elemental and a vampire at Cileen. A VAMPIRE?! I can do that !?

The magic flows freely through me, but Viconia gets hard hit by the golem she's fighting.

Thank Shar Viconia does manage to heal herself, while my magic brings for another Lesser Air Elemental.

I feel the weave strain and fail to give me more elemental minions. There are limits? On the Weave?

My Shadow gets gravely injured by a random mook. Did I mention that the Weave had spawned a shadow of myself? It was tanking like a champ. In order to try to survive this battle, I borrow a page from Daevorn's playbook and cast Teleport Field.

Lets see them try to mount an offensive now! At just the right moment, Khalid pops up off the floor. He rushes the Stone Golem and smashes it into pieces with his sword!

Ya! GO KHALID!

Gameplay note: He also leveled off of that. Woot! I am not going to waste this opportunity, he's leveling up now.

Gameplay note: Haha, best possible stats! Khalid for the comeback! Level 2 Duskblade with 55 hit points here we gooooooo!

I send Khalid over to protect Viconia. No sense wasting him in a fight of 2 on 1 just when he woke up from magical sleep. Besides, Viconia is Flamestriking the poo poo out of everything.

On the far side of the room, Cileen is not having a good time with my summoned creatures.

Then I cast Vortex on myself, and die instantly.

---
---

Those before us were fools, as you are. Those before us were weak, as you are. Those before us were not Zhalimar, or Gardush, or Naaman, or Diyab, or Shennara, or Kaalos, or Aasim, or Alai. Those before us are dead, as you will be. So it has been decreed; so it shall be done. So orders Sarevok!

I am distracted when Emissary Tal turns into one of those monsters. Damnit! I liked her! But the burst of magical energies from the assembled crazies brings me back to sanity.

Dynaheir brings down the Storm, and I mark the arcane casters. Naaman, thinking himself invisible.

I open with a Glyph of Wild Magic, and then Detect Invisibility. But the Weave tries to play a joke on me. It lets me see the invisible, but tries to blind me.

Dynaheir calls some snake-men in to fight, but neglects the thugs coming after her. They cut her down in one hit.

The battle does not go well. Kagain turns on us. I suspect the Weave is being capricious again.

An Unholy Blight from Asim greatly injures my good companions.

A fierce grin cracks my face as I realize that while Dynaheir may be dead, her Storm rages on!

But then Asim cuts down Viconia!

I try to cast Remove Magic, to strip mine enemies of the Weave. But the Weave surges down my body from head to toe, and bursts out against all those around me in a purifying fire!

And then we are three.

Next, Alora does something that I cannot understand. She pulls out a Bullet of Detonation from her pack, and aims at the nearest enemy. She fires, it explodes, and hits all those nearby - including herself. She kills herself.

Then someone kills me. I die.

---
---

Even if I let you run, you will not get far. You infected with lycanthropy. You will not go far before you lose control. It can only be cured by killing the chieftain of the werewolves. I am chieftain and you have no chance. You will die here today. A bloody reckoning is at hand! To me Baresh! My love shall be avenged!

He's right. Kaishas' blood shall indeed always be on my soul. And hers is not the only blood there.

As Mendas reveals himself to be a mage, we all pop Oils of Speed. This is going to be a quick fight. I am not prepared, though, for Mendas' Confusion to affect all of us, even me!

Xan absolutely destroys Baresh.

But the man just come back as a werewolf and keeps fighting! poo poo!

Wait, not all of us are confused. Finch is immune to confusion! She casts Silence on Mendas.

Unfortunately he is immune.

Mulgore strikes Imoen with his halberd, knocking her against the wall and forcing her to lose consciousness!

In my own Confusion, I strike Xan with my sword. He looks very bad. But Finch rushes to heal him and does so just in time!

In the bedroom, Mendas stops being a mage and transforms into a werewolf. Good! No more Confusions! Also, Imoen is firing upon Xavia.

Mendas starts running after me as Finch heals Imoen.

Before Finch can get over to Xavia, though, Baresh strikes her down.

Finch tries to heal me but the magic can't get through my robe! At the same time, Xan kills Baresh the werewolf.

She tries again, with equally useless results. But she does attract the attention of Mendas.

Then Xan cuts me down where I stand, and I die.

---
---

No! Say it isn't so! Please, by the weave, let me leave this place alive!

I fear what the last Warder will say. The red one. But there is nothing else to do, so I approach him as well.

The horrifying words that this Warder speaks physically rock me back on my heels. No. Do I have to? What kind of evil would make me murder love?!

The screams of Fear, Avarice, and Pride get me moving. What the hell is going on?!

I begin to shout at everyone to retreat, to regroup, but Branwen interrupts me.

We do all try to retreat, though, and I am the last to reach our determined spot. Pride cuts me deeply and I feel it in my very soul.

My Pride hits me again, and I feel like my consciousness is almost separating me from my body. What weapon could do that to a body?

I run and try to be healed by Finch. But I fail. My Pride strikes me down.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
SO CLOSE

I didn't count on Syv dying before someone else. That makes a party wipe much harder.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, how many times has Syv died in "alternate timelines", now?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Man, I don't even know. But someone could go through the thread and count them :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The roll of the dead doesn't track these, on the assumption that Vorgen isn't showing us every time Syv dies.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Hey here's a bit of a philosophical question: why do people follow Syvishtar? Would you follow him?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Vorgen posted:

Hey here's a bit of a philosophical question: why do people follow Syvishtar? Would you follow him?

I might die, but there's a better-than-average chance I'd be resurrected. Besides which, have you seen some of that loot? Hell yes, I'd follow him.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Sweet magical loot, plus he'll pay to resurrect me if I die on his watch! Truly the best party leader you could ask for. The downside being that his magic is likely to be what kills you in the first place.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Vorgen posted:

Well seeing as (s)he has charmed the pants/robes off of pretty much everyone at this point, its likely his charisma and animal magnetism.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vorgen posted:

Incredibly charming, hands out amazing magical equipment like candy, free resurrections, is quite clearly insane and capable of killing anything that crosses him in really horrific ways. Does refusing his offer to join count as crossing him inside Syv's mind? Do you really want to be the one to find out?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Personally, I'd run screaming in the other direction. But then I often wonder why party members / sidekicks agree to follow the protagonist of a game.

Perhaps -- to get a bit Morrowind for a moment -- there's a spark of the divine in videogame protagonists that's absent from everyone else, and that spark is compulsive to a certain type of quasi-hero. Recognizing its absence in themselves, they're hopelessly drawn to it, like moths to the bonfire that devours them. Others, less driven to reach, never even notice the spark in the Protag, and carry on their hollow lives in peace. It must be the same impulse that compels a mountainhome to send out a team of Dwarves to die horribly in some hellish wilderness.

How else do you explain the meteoric rise of protagonists and their companions? Getting to Level 15 is the work of a lifetime, the mark of decades of mastery and intensive training -- except for the God-driven, who can do it in two weeks of schlepping around the forests without ever breaking a sweat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crazy or not, Syv gets poo poo done. More than can be said for everyone else on the Sword Coast.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Syv got poo poo done, he is actually a pretty nice guy to his 'friends', and he has personally helped a good many of them. Moreover, they are adventurers, and being in a party of someone who will always resurrect you if possible, no matter how much it costs, is drat rare.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
While it doesn't rev my engine, personally, he / she can swap out his / her junk at will and that's gotta do it for some folks.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Ghostwoods posted:

Perhaps -- to get a bit Morrowind for a moment -- there's a spark of the divine in videogame protagonists that's absent from everyone else, and that spark is compulsive to a certain type of quasi-hero. Recognizing its absence in themselves, they're hopelessly drawn to it, like moths to the bonfire that devours them.

I like this angle quite a bit.

Most of the characters who follow Syv do so initially in order to get something for themselves. "Help me find Dynaheir / avenge my wife / Gorion told me to" etc (and several will in fact leave the party if you don't attend to their need quickly enough). Very few of them seem to have joined up with Syv just for the pure joy of it all. The relationship begins as two or more mutually needy people relying on each other to fill their needs.

Why those people stick around after Syv has helped meet their need is a far better question, and I think there are two factors. First, my wife was in the Army, and I've seen the kind of intense bond that people have when they've faced danger together. At the end of even a single adventure, I could definitely see them having the whole "band of brothers" thing going on.

Secondly, could you go on an adventure like, say, Minsc's quest, and then go back to normal society? Could you wade through a sea of slaughtered gnolls and gnoll body parts, waist-deep in the blood of your enemies, and then go back to Nashkel and wait tables? Could you stab another human being (or thirty or forty), watch the life fade from his eyes, and then go home to your wife and daughter? Could you face down magical horrors like reanimated skeletons or invisible stalkers (!) and then go home to wander the streets and listen to people complaining about the weather? There's a lot of scholarship out there showing that Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have a really hard time adapting back to normal life after going through something that stressful. Additionally, there's a form of depression caused when a person works and trains for something for a long time, finally achieves it, and then feels aimless and lost, as if life doesn't have a purpose anymore. I think the reason people keep following Syv is that normal life just doesn't make sense anymore after experiencing the kind of things they have together.

Would I follow Syv? If I needed something that only Syv could help me get or achieve, then yeah. I don't think I would want to be around the kind of person who would follow Syv on those type of adventures just for the fun of it.

stille
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Personally, I'd run screaming in the other direction. But then I often wonder why party members / sidekicks agree to follow the protagonist of a game.

Perhaps -- to get a bit Morrowind for a moment -- there's a spark of the divine in videogame protagonists that's absent from everyone else, and that spark is compulsive to a certain type of quasi-hero. Recognizing its absence in themselves, they're hopelessly drawn to it, like moths to the bonfire that devours them. Others, less driven to reach, never even notice the spark in the Protag, and carry on their hollow lives in peace. It must be the same impulse that compels a mountainhome to send out a team of Dwarves to die horribly in some hellish wilderness.

How else do you explain the meteoric rise of protagonists and their companions? Getting to Level 15 is the work of a lifetime, the mark of decades of mastery and intensive training -- except for the God-driven, who can do it in two weeks of schlepping around the forests without ever breaking a sweat.

This a thousand times. I'd imagine different people follow Syv for different reasons, but if I had to find a common thread, well, Syv walks into town and Weird poo poo starts poking out of the newly-torn holes in the fabric of reality and whoever survives in the presence of our Golden Boy/Girl for more than half an hour ends up developing powers beyond their previous imagining, "growing in a year as others grow in ten" as fairytales put it. In a less supernatural world it's plausible this may not be noticed that easily, but in Faerun? Syv's companions might not Know, but they can certainly See, out of the corner of their eyes, something golden.

Ketrus
Oct 29, 2007

Stay the hell away from my circles.

Vorgen posted:

Well, for one, the Forgotten Realms are pretty screwy. It makes an appropriately perverse sort of sense that an equally twisted individual might be necessary to help set them right. And hey, might as well learn magic from the best.

More importantly, we're talking about a RPG protagonist, who is basically a living demonstration of the anthropic principle. If it's true that any given individual has desirable skills, and if it's true that it's POSSIBLE for Syvishtar to convince that individual to follow them, the player will probably just reload and try again if Syvishtar screws up the recruitment. Of course I'd follow him, if he wanted me. Syvishtar's victory over my scruples is mandated by the motivating force of reality itself. He's going to stumble into saying the one thing I never even knew I wanted to hear, on what appears to be his first try.

It's kinda scary, when you think about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Keep in mind that "adventurer" is considered a completely legitimate profession in the forgotten realms, and extraordinary people like Syv just seem to pop up from time to time. It's risky job, but the potential benefits certainly outweigh those of enlisting in the army, or mining, for example.

Durlag's life is pretty illustrative, the dwarf gathered enough money and followers to build a giant fortress!

Random thought for a new Baldur's Gate 3: A dungeon keeper-like game where the protagonist got to build an insane booby-trapped castle/dungeon/extra-dimensional wizard tower/etc. You could use your followers as boss fights, maybe petrifying/undeadifying some of them for extra flavour. Of course the castle's treasure would be the party's loot imported from ToB.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 4, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm reminded of a conversation you can have in Dragon Age: Origins:

"Well, that's my personal problems sorted. So is there any reason I should stick with you at this point?"

"How about the massive piles of treasure?"

"True, you do seem to happen into more wealth than most people see in a lifetime. Together we stay!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hey, Finch, maybe you should just leave, maybe All of you should just leave Me. It'll be safer.

No need to get all bent out of shape. There is plenty of camp for us all.

Hey, I take whatever shape I want! But I'm sick of my freakish adventures. Going out, consorting with god knows what, and dragging my trouble back into your lives! What do you say to that?!

We just do what we think is right. We solve a lot more trouble than we cause. Well, very nearly anyways. Heh heh.

Oh, you think its funny, do you?! I mess up the local economy with my treasure, I upset the balance of nature, I flash my magic around, and because of it maybe somebody thinks its fun and goes out and gets themselves killed! It's a bad example and somebody should kick my rear end for it!

Hold on! Everyone goes their own path, and you cannot hold yourself accountable for what the Fates deal.

You were all good people before I came through town! Now you follow me around for gods know what reasons. And because of that three people died today. Again! Now why shouldn't you take THAT out of my hide?!

If you know us like you think, then ask yourself if we wouldn't have gone anyway, eventually. It's a calling you're born with. Nobody gives it to you.

That isn't true! You were going to start a library and settle down. Maybe find an apprentice during the winter. You never wanted to adventure.

That's what you assumed, Syv! Fair's fair, but yer blaming yourself for what couldn't be helped. Finch had adventure in her heart if anyone ever had...

No! She was settling down! She wanted... She wanted...

Back when we first got to Beregost, it was Finch who chose to help us with that insane dwarf. She wanted to make a difference, make the realms a bit safer. Just like these folk most likely.

But Weave, why couldn't she just stay home?!

The realms call, and you go. Our lives are ours to live, ours to risk, ours to spill. If you'll suffer my company, I'll buy a round and toast the memories of those lost to us with you. And then help dig up the gold to bring the rest back. Every time.

• Locked thread