Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I had a 9800 Pro and that thing was amazing at the time. I remember thinking that the heatsink was HUGE. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If AMD does have a very large monolithic design coming out, it'll catch me by surprise, because it goes against their whole "GCN as a long term technology" goal. Transistor count sure as poo poo isn't everything, but they've generally run lean and let nVidia do the bigguns and run leaner for the top of their product stack. As true of Tahiti vs. Kepler as it has been in the past, 4.1B is big but 7.1B is :aaaaa:.

Mind linking the source? I'd like to read more.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

If AMD does have a very large monolithic design coming out, it'll catch me by surprise, because it goes against their whole "GCN as a long term technology" goal. Transistor count sure as poo poo isn't everything, but they've generally run lean and let nVidia do the bigguns and run leaner for the top of their product stack. As true of Tahiti vs. Kepler as it has been in the past, 4.1B is big but 7.1B is :aaaaa:.

Mind linking the source? I'd like to read more.

The original story.

As far as I'm aware AMD hasn't officially confirmed or released any numbers.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
This is Radeon HD 9000 :v:

Takin' all bets on the next Radeon branding. I bet it will be dramatic and new-age and shorten the numbers. Radeon 10. No model numbers, just this one card.

Alternatively, "Radeon 4K 2000 series." Or steal from Nvidia, "Radeon GTX 200 series." Or cross-promote the CPU lineup, "Radeon FX 2000 series."

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Radeon FX 5800 Ultra: Revenge of the Dustbuster

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

BeRadeon. You know, like, beyond, and radeon, and...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Radeon EVO. EVO is a cool branding name, right?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Radeon VENOM, with all the requisite snake branding

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Radeon

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Radeon EON.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's what Team Red needs! A mascot! So cool...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I bet he's got a too cool for school attitude and a snappy catchphrase to back it up. :coal:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

"Sorry bro, my blood runs RED." :c00lbert:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

That's what Team Red needs! A mascot! So cool...

There was Ruby, I suppose..

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^ or that

That's a good name for the mascot or a card. RED.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I finally found the game that would not tolerate my high Geforce 780 overclocks - Mechwarrior Online. For some reason I have to lower the clocks by about 35mhz for this game not to driver crash. Metro Last Light ran flawlessly in its entirety, and so did Crysis 3. Oh well, at least the games that need the extra oomph are fine with the overclock :downs:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Animal posted:

I finally found the game that would not tolerate my high Geforce 780 overclocks - Mechwarrior Online. For some reason I have to lower the clocks by about 35mhz for this game not to driver crash. Metro Last Light ran flawlessly in its entirety, and so did Crysis 3. Oh well, at least the games that need the extra oomph are fine with the overclock :downs:

It's always something, innit? I also had no trouble with 1200MHz+ in Metro or Crysis 3 but I think it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP that got me, haha. X-Ray, you pretty engine, you, thanks for the OC kill.

This is completely off the dome so check references before going with it, but iirc Crysis 3 is CryEngine 3.0 while Mechwarrior Online uses CE 3.5, so it could just be That Next Step Up getting you.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
CE 3.5? That's something, but as someone who's spent way too much money on that game I ought to mention that MWO still runs on DirectX 9, does not support SLI/CrossFireX, is a poorly optimized mess to the point that it's CPU-bottlenecked even at 1080p, and that's not even getting into various issues with the game itself that for one reason or another (or seemingly none!) have been overlooked. SA has a gif of Piranha Games, the developers, for a reason. :pgi: It's not a very good measure or test of a system's performance at all.

MWO is bad for your computer's health and your mental health. And I'm sorry for ranting. :ohdear:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes I learned all of this after I spent $30 on the game because the OP makes it seem awesome and nowhere does it say not to pay them, but thats a rant for another thread :goonsay:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

CE 3.5? That's something, but as someone who's spent way too much money on that game I ought to mention that MWO still runs on DirectX 9, does not support SLI/CrossFireX, is a poorly optimized mess to the point that it's CPU-bottlenecked even at 1080p, and that's not even getting into various issues with the game itself that for one reason or another (or seemingly none!) have been overlooked. SA has a gif of Piranha Games, the developers, for a reason. :pgi: It's not a very good measure or test of a system's performance at all.

MWO is bad for your computer's health and your mental health. And I'm sorry for ranting. :ohdear:

Have you tried playing Hawken instead? It's very fun, and looks amazing graphically unlike MWO, which takes cryengine to a level of ugly I'd never have imagined it capable of.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried playing Hawken instead? It's very fun, and looks amazing graphically unlike MWO, which takes cryengine to a level of ugly I'd never have imagined it capable of.

Yup, I'm a punchrobot fan so Hawken was a thing for me last year as well. It's comparatively much more smooth and feels like the more complete game by far. It's still somewhat short on content though, which leads me to play it only occasionally in short bursts, but simplicity most definitely allowed the whole thing to just come out better.

I am still chained to the neckbeard uglybot game though because of ~reasons~.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gonkish posted:

I had a 9800 Pro and that thing was amazing at the time. I remember thinking that the heatsink was HUGE. :v:

Before PCI-E was really mainstream, I still remember some of the GeForce 6000 series having those smaller dustbuster type coolers that were dual slot and people being like ":argh: I'M LOSING A PCI SLOT". Although those 6000 series cards (and the Radeon series from the same era) were pretty badass for the time. Back when you could look at benchmarks and see a HUGE difference between card generations/series, where nowadays it doesn't seem as significant between each one IMHO. I remember going form a GF3 Ti500 card to a GF4 Ti4600 and it loving blew me away how much better it performed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I dunno, GTX 580 to GTX 780 is a pretty startling performance increase. As was the move from the 8800/9800/9800+ (die shrink of the 9800) to the Tesla architecture GTX-280.... As was the move from the GTX 285 (fancification of the GTX-280, uh, obviously) to the GTX 480.

The move from FX 5000s to the 6000 series being so exceptional even by these "well that's a big jump!" standards was largely because the dustbusters were TOTAL poo poo. They got DX9 all hosed up and even an attempted in-generation refresh didn't fix it. Good for them, finally let ATI get a piece of the pie.

Edit: Before someone busts my balls for the conspicuous absence of the GTX 680, I am similarly impressed by the difference between GF114 and GK104 :v:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 27, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I just went through the OP and I did not find a guide on how to change out an old GPU for a new one. Might I ask one of you how I should go about correctly doing it? My old GPU is a EVGA GTX 560ti and my new one is a EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX cooler. The rest of my relevant pc specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700W Power Supply

Thanks in advance for the help.

VVV That's it?!?! Are you sure there isn't more I need to do? If so, cool and thanks.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 27, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Uninstall old drivers. Remove current GPU. Plug in new GPU (remember power cables.) Install new drivers. Done.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Heck, Nvidia to Nvidia? You shouldn't even need to uninstall the drivers, as long as they're up to date.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Umm, I'm stupid but how do I uninstall drivers?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Add/Remove Programs in Windows. Scroll down to Nvidia. If you have the latest drivers you dont have to do this.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Animal posted:

Add/Remove Programs in Windows. Scroll down to Nvidia. If you have the latest drivers you dont have to do this.

Yikes, I was looking up reviews of the Beta Driver 326.19 and apparently it throttles the performance back, on GTX 770 cards. I'll stick with the disc drivers 319.08, as some people on AnandTech recommend. Also, thanks again for the help.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Factory Factory posted:

Heck, Nvidia to Nvidia? You shouldn't even need to uninstall the drivers, as long as they're up to date.

I'd probably run a driver cleaner anyhow. I had an odd issue going from a Radeon 4850 -> 6850 where the 6850 was stuck at the clockspeed of the old card. I'd just swapped the cards and hadn't really wiped the slate clean. Took me a few days to figure out why my new card was so slow.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
NVIDIA 326.41 Beta out! :zerg:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Unormal posted:

nVidia release notes for 326.41 posted:

The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved since version 320.49. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.

Windows Vista/Windows 7 Fixed Issues
[GeForce GTX 560][3DTV Play]: 3DTV Play cannot be enabled with 3D-capable HDTV when using the embedded emitter. [1306972]

[GeForce GTX 680][Battlefield3]: Black edge corruption and flickering occur in some areas in the game map Noshar Canals. [1313779]

[GeForce GTX TITAN] [Crysis 3]: Texture sporadically flickers on and off in the game. [1316417]

[Dead Space 3]: The game performance drops when Shadow Quality is set to SoftHigh. [1279021]

[GeForce GTX 670]: UpdatusUser account password expires after a certain period of time. [1243075]

[SLI][GeForce GTX TITAN][F.3.A.R.]: With SLI enabled, the game crashes when starting a new game. [1313160]

[Multi-GPU][GeForce GTX 690]: NVIDIA OpenGLdoes not load when more than five GPUs are enabled. [1221048]

[SLI][GeForce GTX 680]: The context menu for running applications is in the wrong location when spanning the taskbar across three monitors. [1230140]

[SLI][Arma 3]: No game performance improvement when SLI is enabled. [1248312]

Windows 8 Fixed Issues
[GeForce GTX 560][3DTV Play]: 3DTV Play cannot be enabled with 3D-capable HDTV when using the embedded emitter. [1306972]

[Multi-GPU][GeForce GTX 690]: NVIDIA OpenGL does not load when more than five GPUs are enabled. [1221048]

[GeForce GTX 670]: UpdatusUser account password expires after a certain period of time. [1243075]

[SLI][GeForce GTX 680]: The context menu for running applications is in the wrong location when spanning the taskbar across three monitors. [1230140]

[SLI][Arma 3]: No performance improvement when SLI is enabled. [1248312]

Windows 8.1 Fixed Issues
[Surround]: With Surround enabled, the NVIDIA Control Panel crashes or becomes unresponsive when attempting to rotate the display. [1308354]

[Surround]: With three displays connected and Surround hot-keys enabled via the Surround Wizard, the Surround hot-keys do not work. [1314263]

[Surround][3-way-SLI]: After enabling Surround and SLI, the taskbar moves to the left display instead of being confined
to the center display. [1314906]

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 30, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yay, just finished installing my EVGA GTX 770 and I am now running a tri-monitor setup. 2 DVI, 1 Display Port!

Any suggestions on what I should do with my old EVGA GTX 560ti?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agrajag posted:

Yay, just finished installing my EVGA GTX 770 and I am now running a tri-monitor setup. 2 DVI, 1 Display Port!

Physx card.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Not sure where to post this really, but is anyone here getting the Nvidia Shield? It is a somewhat interesting product and I'd love to see how it performs. Would be interesting if it could support games that have local multiplayer, so that one person could be playing on the shield while another on the PC.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Unormal posted:

Time to see if this fixes the predictable 24-36 hour hang I've had ever since the 320s! You'll get it fixed one day nVidia, with all that money, come on now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm still on 314, and I'm staying there till I get conclusive evidence that it's safe to upgrade.

I usually only bother updating when a new game comes out anyhow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Do what I plan on doing with mine: PhysX card that sonuvabitch. It's still plenty fast for that, and shouldn't draw too much power to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I can confirm this driver works on my 1440p korean ips monitor. The earlier beta release did not work on monitors without a scaler.