Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Inadequately posted:

Skill rust seems to be bugged, turning it off does nothing and your skills still rust.

(I don't like worrying about that stuff okay don't judge me)

Looks like DDA changed the Rust option for some reason. I've fixed it now, will upload a fix momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GDA%200.4.4.zip

e: don't worry about starting a new game this is fully compatible.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I've got a question does the periodically autosave feature only save the map or does it save my character too?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Both. It's a full save, just automatical.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

That is rad.

Though do you no longer get ranged bonuses for high stats? Seems like it's only a penalty in the new version.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sewing kits are broken in the latest GDA. If you try and reload then you get a message out of XXX. If you unload them you don't get any string. Don't know if bone needles work or not.

edit: Confirmed that sewing doesn't work with bone needles either. Won't reload off of sinew as well. I'd assume plant fiber is the same way.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 28, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Sewing kits are broken in the latest GDA. If you try and reload then you get a message out of XXX. If you unload them you don't get any string. Don't know if bone needles work or not.

edit: Confirmed that sewing doesn't work with bone needles either. Won't reload off of sinew as well. I'd assume plant fiber is the same way.

Same thing with lightstrips.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

This can be fixed manually. Go to data/raw/items/tool.json and search for sewing_kit. In the "ammo" field, you should see "thread". Change it to all caps, i.e. "THREAD" and it should be okay. Same applies to bone_needle, also in tool.json. I'll put up (another) build asap, but if you have the latest build you can save yourself another download by fixing it like this.

There's been some major rejigging by the DDA team. I spent hours today tracking down similar little bugs where fields in the .json files were changed, moved or are now read in differently resulting in odd behaviour but there's just so many different systems and a hojillion different items that I can't possibly check them all by myself.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Awesome, thanks! Now back to my regularly scheduled zombie bashing!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

randombattle posted:

Same thing with lightstrips.

This can be fixed in a simlar way. look for the three lightstrip entries in tools.json (lightstrip, lightstrip_inactive and lightstrip_dead) and make sure their ammo entries say "NULL" and not "none".

Also, just to clarify, the DDA team aren't at fault here, I am. In my defence (sort of), the git bash merge process is horrible and almost never correctly/cleanly merges stuff properly, which is where a lot of the weird bugs such as this one arise.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 28, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here's the fixed build:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GDA%200.4.4.zip

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Headsup, the guns are borked too. If you could provide a list we could fix the ammo types ourselves.

Edit: looking at the old ranged.json it seems that the ammo types is the same, so they must have changed how it is internally recently?

Doubleedit: Fixed it myself by snagging the proper ranged.json from the last stable build. Let me upload it to mediafire for goons to use tonight.

Replace your current data/raw/items/ranged.json with this.

Edit: Doh, I'm bad at fixing things, I must have broke the basic flame thrower.

edit: New ranged.json that fixes the crude flamethrower I broke!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qtt36cl5e5pjn7j/ranged.json

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 28, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Speaking of added vehicle stuff, it'd be awesome if you could add special tiles to your vehicles that let you drive other vehicles onto them. Imagine rolling up outside a new town in your tank, going into the back and then blasting out down a ramp on your bike to cruise around.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
On a related note, I hit a hilarious bug that allowed me to fold up my truck, folding-bicycle style. Unfortunately after I reloaded, I can't seem to reproduce it again, as convenient as it would be.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Inadequately posted:

On a related note, I hit a hilarious bug that allowed me to fold up my truck, folding-bicycle style. Unfortunately after I reloaded, I can't seem to reproduce it again, as convenient as it would be.

A foldable truck? Foldable into what exactly?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Two character build questions: Do any of the martial arts skills hold up to midgame/endgame melee weapons? And are there any must have talents? I've just been dumping all my points into stats.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Robust Genetics and Quick are always nice to have, probably worth more than the 6 points they cost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Krav Maga on a high-strength character is definitely the equal of most melee weapons. Melee is categorically worse than firearms, but as melee skills go, Krav Maga is probably the straight-up best.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you take Night Vision and Robust Genetics, then survive long enough to be able to make mutagen, you'll probably eventually end up with Full Night Vision, which is pretty good. You won't need to carry flashlights around, which helps a lot when raiding giant underground complexes, like anthills or labs.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I can't seem to use the makeshift welder to work on cars. Is this intentional?

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

I can't seem to use the makeshift welder to work on cars. Is this intentional?

Nope! I modified the json with all the appropriate flags...but after searching, I have found that being flagged as a welder is not enough; I am diving into the .cpps now, but from what I can tell, if you add a welding style tool, you have to tear into about a dozen entries in three separate files to make the menus recognize it, as menus go by item name and not the welding flag.

Whales, you make my head hurt.

I'm editing it in now, but this is not a .json change - it'll take a full recompile, but I'm on it and will upload a fixed exe asap.

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 29, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, there's still a poo poo-ton of hardcoded stuff. Construction items are another thing, you need to manually hack that stuff into construction.cpp, otherwise it just doesn't do anything.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone find that sometimes they have an area that they can't go in with out cataclysm crashing? I had it on the last GDA, and it seems to be happening again. Is there some fix or something I should try?

edit: Also being able to drain water is great, but it seems to force you to drain all of the water in a tank, rather than just letting you fill a container's worth.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 30, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anyone find that sometimes they have an area that they can't go in with out cataclysm crashing? I had it on the last GDA, and it seems to be happening again. Is there some fix or something I should try?

edit: Also being able to drain water is great, but it seems to force you to drain all of the water in a tank, rather than just letting you fill a container's worth.

Is it specific areas causing it, or just seemingly at random?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know about specific areas, but it definitely seems to be super crashy when dealing with modified vehicles. With a vanilla motorbike and on foot I can traverse half the country, with my tricked-out truck it hangs and crashes every other minute.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It seems there's a lot of bugginess in the vehicles now. After KoL pointed out the draining thing emptying the whole tank, I went back to see if I could fix it and it seems the siphoning stuff has been broken as well. I downloaded the DDA build to compare and its broken there as well since hitting 's' to siphon fuel prompts you to "Refill the vehicle?" which makes no sense, and selecting a container drains the whole tank into a single container, even if its far beyond the containers normal capacity (a 40-unit plastic jerrycan can contain thousands of units of gas, for example).

So it looks like the changes to vehicles in the DDA build has had some unwanted effects. I'm going to take a look at an earlier DDA build, pre-folding bikes and see whats up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It seems like it's specific areas, however it's gotten more sporadic now. I think maybe running the game as administrator has helped. Either way, I can't seem to get it to reliably crash every time in the same spot.

Edit: Keep in mind that gas isn't in the same unit as water. It's weird, but a jerry can of water can hold a few thousand units of gas. Or at least, in the last GDA I was filling steel jerry cans up at pumps with a lot of gas.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
That last bit might be on purpose, I don't think a unit of gas is equivalent to a unit of water. A steel jerrycan can hold 100 units of water and 20000 units of gasoline, so the ratio should be 200:1.

e: beaten, but yeah.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
But still things are a little wonky. Siphon doesn't show up at all, and there is an option for draining that shows up. I guess drains the water command?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Yeah drain is for water.

I'd forgotten fuel and water occupied different units, that would explain that. I'm going to fix the issue with demanding to fill all your containers until the tank is empty but if its a crash involving areas of the map, I'm not too sure what that could be as I haven't touched map code at all. If its to do with modified vehicles, again, I'm not sure what would be causing that since I've only changed the veh_intereact code not the basic vehicle code. I can take a look, but the last time I tried to delve into the map code and vehicle code I wanted to start cutting myself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A steel jerrycan can hold enough gas to fill four gas tanks, I think. Maybe even more. Being able to suck a complete tank into one is definitely working as intended.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, it's probably just some sporadic map funkyness. I have autosave to happen often so that helps. If I find any bad map spots I'll just not revisit them. I do hope they add a crash log soon. Its kind of ridiculous that the game doesn't dump anything and just closes down when it crashes.

edit: Portal generators have none instead of NULL in their ammo, so you can get a bugged item if you unload them. There is a lot of none where NULL should be in the tools file.

I just did a replace all, in the stable folding bycicle and towel have none instead of null, but I think that might be a error in the stable.

edit2: Here's the fixed tools.json I've made. While I'm at it, I'll repost my fixed ranged.json as well for people to use till picroft puts out a new version.

tools.json
ranged.json

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2013

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a very strong character I managed to lose by lighting myself on fire while trying to break into a doctor's office vault with fire. It had worked for the bank, I'd use a gas mask to avoid smoke inhalation and a fire extinguisher to extinguish flames in my path. This time, the fire spread to me and that was it. Is there any feasible way to save yourself if you've caught on fire? And are there safer options to break into those sorts of rooms when the console to open it is broken?

Unrelated question: Do cutting weapons have some bonuses beyond smashing ones? Because as far as I can tell they just make it possible for you to lose your weapon in a zombie.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's a "Thermal Dissipation" bionic that drains your power and allows you to walk in fire for a bit. You'll still get really dehydrated, though. Maybe try getting to a safe spot, emptying out your water and standing in it? As for smashing through walls, see if you can find a jackhammer or the "Sonic Resonator" bionic, or failing that, get a disposable vehicle and ram into the wall at full speed. I'd advise you not to do this unless you're breaking into a bank at the very least. Doctor's office vaults usually just contain a few common medicines at best, and police vaults rarely contain any decent weaponry.

As for the cutting weapons, I think different enemies have different resistances to different types of damage, but I can't recall any of them offhand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, cutting and bashing are separately resisted. I don't think I've ever actually met an enemy so far that bashing weapons didn't work on, though. Bladed weapons are better at butchering stuff, though. Gives you a huge bonus to butchering speed while you're holding them.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wow, these directional headlights are fantastic. Is that your doing, goldfish? You're my hero. Now I can build floodlights around my base!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A couple things I'd really like for a car improvement would be a 360 degree camera system that let you see in all directions without having to have a windshield/door, and a long distance horizontal driving view.

Something like this:

code:
-----------
|      _  |
|###   | %|
-----^-----
That would let you see further than the regular 20 or 30 tiles, but only in a narrow arc and only large objects like buildings and trees. That way you could safely drive down the road at 100 mph without worrying about hitting something before you even saw it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That'd be pretty nice. I've crashed into a few forests with my base crawler before.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The 360 cameras would be nice, but I just really want side mirrors on my car. They could be really weak, but easy to find replacements. The only problem I see with this is you would probably have to modify all the pre-existing cars to have them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Are there reinforced glass panels you can find? Because they might be cool too.

Also, one of the most annoying things about vehicles to me is that it pops up that "do you want to get something from the box?" question every time to you walk on a floor trunk. It's the only box in the game that does. I would much rather just walk over them and use / to interact.

Also I wish the rv kitchen didn't need CLEAN water. It seems like it's pretty unnecessary - by the time you get one you're usually perfectly able to boil a shitton of water, especially since you have an rv kitchen unit right there, but it's already tedious to fill it up period due to the relative size of jerrycans and adding boiling all that water one unit at a time just sucks.

Is anyone else having problems with the game auto reassigning items to characters that are already assigned?