Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Let's Play the Cooking Mama series

Pictured: my feelings about food

Hello LP Subforum. Do you like food? Yeah I'll bet you do, I see you there, crying while watching videos, stuffing your face with Cool Ranch Doritos Tacos and Baja Blast. ("But they're so cheap!" you say between bites.) Don't worry! I am here to help. You see, in addition to doing Lets Plays, one of the other things I really enjoy doing is cooking. Being fortunate enough to have parents who knew how to cook and a grandmother who is quite literally one of the worst cooks on the planet earth (who the hell boils pasta for 30 minutes? the answer is my grandmother.), I learned very early on how important knowing how to cook is. When I moved out of my parents house, I found out that cooking is actually pretty fun.

I am here to teach you how to cook through the magic of Lets Play.

What better way to do it than through Cooking Mama, a series of games where more often than not, each recipe makes me want to scream because that's not how food works. Here's how this poo poo's gonna go down, alright? Each video will have two segments. The first segment, I will select a recipe from one of the Cooking Mama games. The second segment, and in this segment I may sometimes be assisted by my roommate Dalton, I cook the dish for real, the correct way. Or at least the way I do it. God I hope nobody from GWS comes in here and starts yelling at me.

Anyway, you can also expect a couple of bonus videos sometimes about various general knowledge topics, such as Food Safety and Cast Iron Seasoning + Care

But anyway, a few things to note:
1. I will NOT be doing Every Recpie from Every Game. I learned my lesson with regards to completionism with Mario Galaxy. Plus truth be told there are alot of foods I don't like that are in there, and the dishes I make aren't just for show, they're gonna be my dinner that day.
2. I will NOT be doing recipes in any particular order. You can feel free to suggest recipes (be sure to list what game they're from, there's alot of entries in this series.)
3. No I can't do a Babysitting Mama joke video, Gamefly doesn't have Babysitting Mama because they don't ship periphrerials (babies). Just imagine I gave the baby sunglasses, a pack of Camel Crush, and I'm blasting Skulls by The Misfits in the background.
4. I am currently undecided if I will do anything from any Non-Cooking Mama cooking games.
5. If you have followed any of my previous LP's you will know that my update schedule is absolutely horrible. I apologize in advance.

--VIDEOS--
(Self-Hosted Videos are HTML5.)
(Click banner image for recipes)

--BONUS poo poo--
Entrance Jew makes Huhn Käse

xoFcitcrA encapsulates shame into videogame cover art.

Mico fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Note: I am taking votes for the next recipe I do after each video. Your deadline for voting is one week after I post a video.

However, I have to eat this food so if something wins that I don't like, I'm gonna skip it. Sorry but them's the brakes, I can't be wasting food.

Please make sure you list both the Recipe Name and the Game in the series it is from. The only Cooking Mama game I cannot record is the one on the 3DS. Even the ones I don't own, I can gamefly.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Cooking Mama doesn't actually teach you how to cook?

Well poo poo.
Microwave food for life it is.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013
Huh. This is an interesting idea for an LP. I'll be sure to follow it. Not sure if I have a vote now, unless you don't mind me making a joke suggestion of one of the short ones like "an apple".

However, this might be handy for the other viewers in the thread. Here's a list of every recipe in the cooking mama games. Click on the links to find the game it's from.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

DairunCates posted:

However, this might be handy for the other viewers in the thread. Here's a list of every recipe in the cooking mama games. Click on the links to find the game it's from.

Ah yes I knew I was forgetting something.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Haven't watched the video yet, but this does sound quite intriguing. Perhaps I'll learn how to make a few things...

How about a nice Quiche next?

Scorchdog
Mar 4, 2013
Cool idea for an LP, that curry looks pretty drat good.
Agreeing with Eevee, I'd also like to learn how to make quiche next.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Was I just tricked into enjoying a cooking show? :psyduck:

I vote for the good old classic Fish and Chips from Cooking Mama: Cook Off for the Wii!

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 28, 2013

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.
I'm definitely intrigued by this, I'll put my vote down for Ravioli from Cooking Mama 2.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That are actually the usual process for Japanese curry. That is why it tastes like poo poo.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
I love my real Mama's quiche! Show me how to make yours!

Side note, the only thing I know how to make from scratch is slow cook pot roast. Sometimes I feel like a failure of an adult and a woman. But I know how to make really easy one pot meals from instant stuff! Poor man's tuna casserole and chicken marina all the way baby!

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Have you thought about using chicken legs? They are more flavourful and perfect for stews of all kinds. Not to mention cheaper than chicken breast.
Well, if you don't want bones in your meal you'll at least pick up some deboning skill.

Plus, my Turkish butcher once told me this anecdote:
"Are you eating meat?"
-"Yes."
"Are there bones?"
-"No."
"Then you aren't eating meat!"

Incidentally, that was when I bought a sheep's head from him :v:

E: to get something LP related in Quiche all the way.

Last Transmission fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 28, 2013

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Great LP so far, but you've got your cutting boards all mixed up. Plastic boards are actually slightly worse for cutting meat than wooden ones

quote:

Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.

Joining the quiche :bandwagon:

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

tonberrytoby posted:

That are actually the usual process for Japanese curry. That is why it tastes like poo poo.

Japanese curry is usually sweet and mild. It's okay.

You should point out in your video that its better to use leg meat for your curry. They have more flavor. Meat is always better closer to the bone.

Add chili.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Another safety tip is don't leave your meat out for long periods of time, that goes for the kitchen and in public, depending on the severity you can be jailed for either. Also good to see that Mico didn't cut the chicken on the wooden board.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Curries are such a great thing to be able to cook. There's a huge range and they're deceptively simple to do.
If you're in the UK hit up "Rickstein's India" on BBC iPlayer, it's pretty good stuff and teaches you how to make your own curry powders and that "Curry" is apparently a stupid term but gently caress it, we'll use it anyway.

Also, people complaining that you don't use enough salt should be ignored. Grab a selar and add your own, silly.

Make me a Quiche! (Please.)

EDIT
Don't worry about using Coconut milk as a base, it doesn't taste of coconut when you're done but adds some sweetness.

Popo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 28, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This is a really cool idea, I'll definitely be following it.

Also quiche.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

How well does this stuff keep? Like could I toss the leftovers in the fridge and heat it up the next day? This is really going to make me want a better kitchen to work in.

Also I'll join the quiche crew.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

njsykora posted:

How well does this stuff keep? Like could I toss the leftovers in the fridge and heat it up the next day? This is really going to make me want a better kitchen to work in.

Also I'll join the quiche crew.

Curry is arguably BETTER the next day; much like a stew, it's even more delicious after the flavors have had time to meld. I'll hop on the quiche bandwagon as well; it's one of my favorite quick-and-easy recipes for impressing guests because it always LOOKS like it takes more work than it really does.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

njsykora posted:

You can freeze it and it'll last months. A few days in the fridge (up to 4 I'd say if you keep it in a sealed tub) won't hurt you either.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Just for the record, the game portrays making Japanese curry with Japanese curry roux (also known as the lazy way) pretty accurately. Yes, that's how you're supposed to cut the vegetables, and you have to use lots and lots of water - the roux takes care of it. Japanese curry is pretty much an entirely different beast than the other types.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I gotta say I also like how you're just saying "yeah these are all cheap as gently caress ingredients". I hate it when I'm looking at a recipe in a cookbook for supposedly cheap meals and they specify some weird thing that costs like £5.

Popo posted:

You can freeze it and it'll last months. A few days in the fridge (up to 4 I'd say if you keep it in a sealed tub) won't hurt you either.

People keep stuff in the fridge outside tubs? Besides pizza I mean.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I would play the poo poo out of Science Papa :frogc00l: Also, I'm super-crazy about my chicken breasts! If I use 'em for anything (which is very very often), I do a few little things:
  • Step One, wash off them breasts.
  • Step Two, put said breasts in a large zip-lock bag, one at a time.
  • Step Three, THIS. SHOW IT WHO'S BOSS. Also, don't close the zip-lock bag. What I do is I fold the end of the baggie upward. This way, you aren't really cutting off air (meaning the bag would pop), but you're stopping the breast's residual water/juices/bits from splattering everywhere. Lots of people say to use seran-wrap, but I HATE SERAN WRAP. It is evil and unpredictable.
  • Step Six, this is a personal preference, but I hate having ligaments/odd bits on my chicken breasts, so I cut 'em off. Picky? Yeah. But I cook for myself so whatever.
  • Step Five, choppy-time! I just pop this along the fronts and backs of the breasts.
  • Step Six, brine-time! I usually do 4-6 breasts at a time. Meaning I prepare them for the week, of course. Put the breasts in a big zip-lock bag, fill said bag with water, and put in 1/4 cup of Kosher Salt.
  • Step Seven, refrigerate for at least an hour.
Then, do what you will! :v: I'm pretty busy typically and dead tired when I come home (work, gym, etc), so I love doing a simple sous vide with these. In essence, it's poaching, I guess you could say. Anyhow, I typically sous vide at 146 for an hour (using a single pat of butter per breast), then sear it on the stove (after seasoning it a tad, of course). Medium-High, Grapeseed oil, one minute each side. Oh yeah, get a splatter-screen for this poo poo.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna jump on the Quiche train.

Also do you plan on playing that weird cooking mama thing that PETA made?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

njsykora posted:

People keep stuff in the fridge outside tubs? Besides pizza I mean.

When it comes to giving advice about food I always feel compelled to not leave things to chance.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's too bad I'm way too loving picky and probably won't eat anything you teach me how to make. But yeah, I'll be following this.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Putting in a vote for Ravioli so that Mico will teach me how to have ravioli that isn't prepared by my main man:

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
What an absolutely cool idea for an LP!

I'm not being sarcastic when I say Cooking Mama inspired me to learn how to cook (I was never taught by my mother, who is a horrible cook). It just seemed so fun in the games, and nowadays I absolutely love to cook anything. Thanks Mama!

Quiche is my vote!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Do they have a good Bologna sandwich recipe

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I commend your choice in cooking music.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
They should combine the Mama series so I can grow my own foods in Gardening Mama then use those ingredients in Cooking Mama.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Mico this is a great idea for a thread and you're a great person for doing this. I will be watching this religiously as I am one of many goons who has very little experience with cooking despite being a grown-rear end adult.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Make Instant Ramen from Cooking Mama.

Cooking is hard :negative:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Ascetic Crow posted:

Cooking is hard :negative:

No, it's not. :colbert:

All you need is to be willing to improve and learn new stuff. And soon you too will cook delicious food without looking at any recipes at all. Well, except for inspiration, of course.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Quiche All the way, cuz I have no idea how to make one! This is a really great idea, if anything, it'll inspire people to cook for themselves a little more.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
This is a pretty cool idea for an LP but your use of crushed garlic makes me sad. :( Using real garlic is only a tiny bit more effort for an immensely better experience. Fresh ginger makes a huge difference too.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I wanna see Fettuccine from Cooking Mama: Cook Off myself.

Also, curry is in fact awesome, even if the term "curry" refers to a poo poo ton of different things. If we're speaking of Thai curry, I like to make a paste (there's a recipe here, although I personally use the vegetarian version) and freeze the paste. So whenever I want curry, all I have to do is cook the veggies, add the paste, add the coconut milk, and that's pretty much it.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I'm voting for Stuffed Peppers from Cooking Mama since that's what I just finished cooking.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GWC + Let's Play collaborations are the best LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I'm gonna vote for quiche because I know you can't make it, and I wish for you to suffer.

• Locked thread