Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Previa_fun posted:

This needs to be federally mandated to be on the back of every trailer because gently caress waiting in the left lane behind a truck passing another truck and having 10 assholes behind me whip around on the right so he can't move over. :argh:

Also it appears this photo was taken from a vehicle passing on the right. :suicide:

not passing, just getting close enough to take a pic :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
All trikes are terrible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

All trikes are terrible.

With the weaknesses of both bikes and cars...and the strengths of neither...he is: TRIKEMAN!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I was in San Francisco yesterday, and I saw the Coolest RV near USF. It was an Airstream, and it looked like a scaled-up version of one of the curvy bare aluminum trailers Airstream made (makes?).

It looked incredible, especially with "TURBO DIESEL" all over it (as well as being apparently stamped into the metal spare tire cover). I would drive that thing in a heartbeat. Sadly, I couldn't get any pictures.

Anyone know what model this thing might've been so I can learn more about it? Most of the ones I'm finding look like standard motor homes instead of gigantic streamlined things.

Edit: pretty sure it was an Airstream 280, with an Isuzu diesel.

:black101:

:stare:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 26, 2013

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Pretty common setup on A class RV's up until the mid 90's. After that they generally started moving the crt up above the cockpit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I was in San Francisco yesterday, and I saw the Coolest RV near USF. It was an Airstream, and it looked like a scaled-up version of one of the curvy bare aluminum trailers Airstream made (makes?).

It looked incredible, especially with "TURBO DIESEL" all over it (as well as being apparently stamped into the metal spare tire cover). I would drive that thing in a heartbeat. Sadly, I couldn't get any pictures.

Anyone know what model this thing might've been so I can learn more about it? Most of the ones I'm finding look like standard motor homes instead of gigantic streamlined things.

Edit: pretty sure it was an Airstream 280, with an Isuzu diesel.

:black101:

:stare:

That looks like the 3.1 bighorn/trooper engine. If so, I'd be astonished if that thing can reach the speed limit at all.

I would still drive the balls off it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Went to a Ferrari show yesterday! This is something that simply DOESN'T happen in Eastern Iowa. I see the occasional Porsche 911 or Viper, but exotics are really a spectacle around here. I got to the show around 7:30 last night, just as everyone started leaving. Still had time to snap a few pics:

My favorite...so perfect.

None of the owners would talk to anyone who didn't have a Ferrari shirt on. The stereotypes are true LOL. Have big res if anyone wants them.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I love to imagine how amazing Group B would have been (not that it isn't amazing to start) if it didn't get cancelled and Ferrari got the GTO into a couple of races as they had planned. :allears:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Great photos angryhampster, it doesn't seem like the F40 that lives in the area showed up though. Where was this at exactly?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sofullofhate posted:

The 458 is a loving monster, and it makes you feel like a hero the second you start it. It is an incredible car to drive and it will slap the poo poo out of you if you do something wrong. It is less comfortable and less communicative (i.e. doesn't give you the warning that the 12C does), and it is inarguably prettier.

I'm surprised by its being less communicative and being that dicy to drive. Bad as it sometimes is, the 5th Gear comparison made the 458 steering feel sound incredible, and that it was pretty easy to drive because of it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm surprised by its being less communicative and being that dicy to drive. Bad as it sometimes is, the 5th Gear comparison made the 458 steering feel sound incredible, and that it was pretty easy to drive because of it.

It's not like it's numb or doesn't talk to you, it just... yells at you, and not until you're already really close to going wrong. It's not hard to drive, but when you get it wrong (and you do), it's far less forgiving - because so much less notice - than the 12C, which is basically constantly calmly telling you what's going on.

Think of it like this: the 12C is like being in class with a calm and quiet professor; if you listen to it you will constantly learn and improve, and unless you stop listening you will never end up in a terrible place (unless you enter a corner at high speed while not braking, then it's exciting just like any rear-mid car). The 458 is like being in bed with a talented and passionate lover. All the right sounds and feelings, right up until you do the wrong thing. Then the response is sharp and loud, and you need to react quickly and correctly if you want to carry on as you were before. :)

I feel like I'm coming across as being really biased against the 12C; I'm not. It's a better driver's car IMO, from the perspective of getting better at driving. It's really not a Ferrari, but it's not trying to be a Ferrari, and I think that's where the comparisons fall apart. I love the 12C, but the experience of the Ferrari is better for me and so that's where my hypothetical rice-dude money would go.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

None of the owners would talk to anyone who didn't have a Ferrari shirt on. The stereotypes are true LOL. Have big res if anyone wants them.

I went to a car show once that had some exotics at it, and there were like 3 guys parked all together with 308's. A dude in a last gen Viper ACR pulled in and parked next to them. He gets out and says hi to the Ferrari guys, they give him the cold shoulder. So he just kinda shrugged. I started talking to him about his car because it was that badass copper color, and the Viper guy overhears the Ferrari guys cracking jokes about the Viper. He looks over at them, and just says "hey, would you like me to move my car? I don't want to piss anyone off." One Ferrari guy says "no, it's ok, it's just that your car is kind of bringing down the property value" to which the other two laugh.

Viper guy smiles. I know what's coming next.

"Hey, that's not very nice. You guys know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with your $30,000 cars, right? This thing cost as much as all of yours put together. And it'll loving run circles around you even if I spot you a mile. What are you guys anyway, mid-level management at Wal Mart?"

The crowd howled with laughter.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Great photos angryhampster, it doesn't seem like the F40 that lives in the area showed up though. Where was this at exactly?

This was at Hartek Automotive across from Menards. One of the owners is a Ferrari enthusiast/owner apparently. I saw him driving the old 275 that was parked there. Apparently the old Hartwig motors made him some big $$$$ when it was sold.

Hartek sold an F40 in 2011. I saw it in the showroom but never on the streets..I wonder if that's the one you've seen.

e: I would also add that the F50 sounded like butt. The 550 was completely inaudible, and the two 355s that were there sounded magnificent. I love Ferrari V8s.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ferraris sound like dogshit unless they're absolutely going for it that's probably why.
A 430 Scud crawled past me the other night in town and it's sounded like an obese man farting down a pringles tube.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Because the Lagonda wasn't weird enough, Aston Martin created the Bulldog:

I remember seeing this in a car magazine way back in 1980 or so and couldn't remember the name. Then, lo and behold, it pops up on Top Gear's Facebook page today.

Love the hidden headlights:

Interior:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wow, that's embarrassing. The exterior looks like a kit car or even a homemade-job. Like, you just know there's a Fiero underneath there somewhere.

Or maybe it looks more like a cheap prop from a 1980s science fiction film.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Or like the build quality from an 80s British shed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just saw the maserati mc12 corsa on highway 2 headed to Edmonton being followed by a boring ol 458 italia. It left red deer about 10 minutes ago so anybody North of hew should be able to catch a glimpse of the rare beast in the wild. It's orange and white, you can't miss it.

edit; for those of you not special enough to live in alberta:

Also seen in this video racing the HMCS enzo around the nurburgring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFVerY8l2Pg

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2013

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I was being sarcastic, implying that HICAS always has fits.

Fixed ;)

Also judging by the post, I think the guy has HICAS confused with ATTESA.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Looks like a tasty popsicle. Wanna lick it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Looks like a tasty popsicle. Wanna lick it.

That is clearly a creamsicle.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Here, have some car pics.

... huge Porsche fan here..

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Huge Porsche fan?

:haw:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got the picture of the guy with the super fast Nova sitting on the couch with his massive turbo and poo poo eating grin handy?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's more "depraved lust" than "poo poo-eating grin" to be honest.

Always a great picture, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
I can't watch that without going NYOOOOOM in my head. I love rally car gifs.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Coronet XX posted:

I can't watch that without going NYOOOOOM in my head. I love rally car gifs.
gently caress that, I go NYOOOOOM out loud.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Stopped by RK Motors in Charlotte to see what they had in their inventory. The owner is a hedge fund billionaire who also owns 50% of Michael Waltrip racing, the NASCAR team. He apparently also does quite a bit of his own driving in various other series.

Mostly classic cars/hotrods which I'm not really into but there are some really cool racecars and exotics there as well.

Amazing F40

All original Hemi Cuda. I don't know much about these cars but the asking price is :10bux: short of $2M.

Lexus LFA Nurburgring edition

Barracuda with a supercharged Viper V10

Ferrari FF, first one I've seen in person. Asking price was about $275K with 5,000 miles, new MSRP was close to $400K IIRC.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Huge Porsche fan?

I think the 917 flat 12 is the winner.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of the other track builders on the Copenhagen Historic Grand Prix arrived in this beauty the other day:

A 1964 Triumph TR4 imported from California. It's not quite in mint condition, but its completely rust-free and runs really well, it's a rolling restoration project.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

Bu... but... there are 16 runners...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Wow, those distributors are amazing. Weird how small the engine fan is though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Porsche's dedication to air cooled engines was awesome. I know there have been air-cooled aircraft engines pushing thousands of horsepower for decades, but the packaging constraints in an automobile are immense. Then when you add turbochargers and the like...

Owning an air cooled Porsche is one of my rich guy lottery dreams. :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Previa_fun posted:

Porsche's dedication to air cooled engines was awesome. I know there have been air-cooled aircraft engines pushing thousands of horsepower for decades, but the packaging constraints in an automobile are immense. Then when you add turbochargers and the like...

Owning an air cooled Porsche is one of my rich guy lottery dreams. :allears:

Well, technically they're oil-cooled, but yeah.

And they sound awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thealphabetsez posted:

Yep, yep...sorry. That's not a type 912 engine, it's one of the 4 prototype flat 16s. Making 800+ HP. Insane.

I will take this time to remind all of you about the greatest Porsche 917 livery ever, the pink pig:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

thealphabetsez posted:

Because he mistakenly posted a picture of the 16 Cylinder prototype Porsche developed 'just in case.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
This just showed up in my Facebook feed: