Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

SRQ posted:

The NSA now has an entire division watching you.

have uavs been legislated on yet

like if some environmental nut flew one out over $industrial_complex, what would they gently caress him with

(was gonna say groom lake, but lol espionage act)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
but you could do the same with a regular old model airplane

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do you like beer? Do you like Something Awful?

I make cheap beer, then build boxes from random bits of wood I find on the side of the road to store them in.

I also made a desk to fit a room with a diagonal corner by cutting up a normal desk and reattaching the leg and drawers to fit.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i thought UAVs that could fly from point A to point B without any human input (after takeoff) were illegal for potential future terrorists aka civilians?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i have this plan to build a semiautonomous UAV; the physical airplane part is easy enough but i want to stuff it with the guts of an old phone so i can preprogram it with GPS coordinates that it will fly to

also using the accelerometers in the phone for inertial navigation to supplement the GPS is a thing that would be cool to do

could i just use a rooted android phone? how easy would it be to get it to talk to an arduino or something through the USB port so that it could control the plane?

usb sucks to work with, phone accelerometers should be called isthephoneupsidedownornoters and are pretty much useless beyond that so good luck getting useful ins done with them, also phone gps is pretty crappy even by gps standards so just even more lol

im basically just here to poo poo on your dreams, sorry

realistically you could do it okay with a gps receiver from sparkfun which has the added bonus of not androiding your battery life, working well with an arduino, and being at least decently accurate. still won't be able to land but for flying to some coordinate position itll do okay until it's close.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

there's a RC aircraft thread over in the DIY forum. i didn't realise starter quadrocopters were down to like $40 nowadays. might have to get one myself

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Bloody posted:

usb sucks to work with, phone accelerometers should be called isthephoneupsidedownornoters and are pretty much useless beyond that so good luck getting useful ins done with them, also phone gps is pretty crappy even by gps standards so just even more lol

im basically just here to poo poo on your dreams, sorry

realistically you could do it okay with a gps receiver from sparkfun which has the added bonus of not androiding your battery life, working well with an arduino, and being at least decently accurate. still won't be able to land but for flying to some coordinate position itll do okay until it's close.

no i definitely want to hear what parts of my plan aren't realistic, so it's good to know

what about standalone 3-axis accelerometer modules? or are these super expensive or something.

also if the dead reckoning navigation is good enough then you could probably get away with only turning on the gps every once in a while for course corrections, although this would probably only work if there's a negligible amount of wind. re: battery life, i'd like to have the phone or whatever running off the plane's battery where it'd be a small draw compared to the motor and servos anyway. i just thought it'd be easier to have all the avionics in a single package. but idk really about this sort of thing

uG posted:

i thought UAVs that could fly from point A to point B without any human input (after takeoff) were illegal for potential future terrorists aka civilians?

is this true in canada too? i mean it's not like i'm trying to build a cruise missile here; the most dangerous thing i'd strap to it is a gopro camera

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i want to make tacocopter a reality

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Q: Are UAVs legal in the Canada?
A: Unmanned Aerial vehicles are permitted to fly in Canada when they meet "Model aircraft" conditions set out in the Canadian Aviation Regulations or the operator has a Special Flight Operations Certificate(SFOC).

Q: What makes a UAV a model aircraft in the eyes of Transport Canada(TC)?
A: "Model aircraft" means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes. By definition a UAV is no longer a model aircraft when:
- Owned by a company not an individual.
-Used for profit.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

35kg is a big goddamn model aircraft

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

huh so it's legal for me to fly a model airplane over someone's farm fields for fun, but the moment that i perform the very same flight to inspect the fields in order to improve crop yield it's illegal

laws are weird

i wonder what it takes to get that certificate? i guarantee that natural resources companies would want to use the hell out of UAVs for looking at pipelines or forests or whatever

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

should've given you a link too, sry

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/uav-faqs-for-canada

tl;dr it's free, and all they want is you to demonstrate you're not gonna kill anyone or upset air traffic controllers

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

in any case it looks like they don't make any distinction between a piloted or autonomous thing so long as it's recreational, so i guess i can go hog wild with my fly-to-gps-coordinates model plane

e: ^^^^^^^^^^ thanks

i'm looking at the transport canada site right now

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
put a camera attached to a rotating servo and then fly your model plane through the oculus rift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCdl_C3FPI

spongeh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2013

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

no i definitely want to hear what parts of my plan aren't realistic, so it's good to know

what about standalone 3-axis accelerometer modules? or are these super expensive or something.

also if the dead reckoning navigation is good enough then you could probably get away with only turning on the gps every once in a while for course corrections, although this would probably only work if there's a negligible amount of wind. re: battery life, i'd like to have the phone or whatever running off the plane's battery where it'd be a small draw compared to the motor and servos anyway. i just thought it'd be easier to have all the avionics in a single package. but idk really about this sort of thing

Autopilot packages are stupid cheap and good now. $300 gets you an ardupilot with GPS and a 900mhz 2-way telemetry kit that can do either fixed wing or multi rotor copter flight, you just plug your servos in and fly. If you bought one 18 months ago you might as well throw it out and get a new one since they're evolving so quickly.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is this true in canada too? i mean it's not like i'm trying to build a cruise missile here; the most dangerous thing i'd strap to it is a gopro camera

it depends on how much you wanna do yourself and how much you wanna spend but you can buy pretty heavily integrated avionics packages that'll do lots of sweet poo poo for you like poo poo on this page https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/160 which'll integrate accels and gyros and they probably won't suck as much as phone accels

the thing with MEMS accelerometers and gyros is that you pretty much always get what you pay for. the ones in phones are basically the cheapest you can get that still function, since pretty much their only use is "which direction is down relative to the screen". cheap accels are fine if you just want to know instantaneous acceleration, but once you start integrating for velocity and displacement the errors start adding up hilariously quickly. realistically though you're not going to be able to buy good enough accels for decent position data longer than half an hour or so and that's only if you're shelling out thousands. idk much about UAVs though last time i was loving around with GPS and inertial navigation was on a boat, and GPS was more than adequate for our needs. we used one of these receivers and it put our boat within a couple feet of our target pretty reliably: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/465 as an added bonus they're dead simple to use. ive actually got atmega C code around here somewhere for talking to one, although there's almost certainly a more integrated arduino solution.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What kind of programming would be required to make a flight routine?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Perl: https://metacpan.org/module/UAV::Pilot

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Bloody posted:

it depends on how much you wanna do yourself and how much you wanna spend but you can buy pretty heavily integrated avionics packages that'll do lots of sweet poo poo for you like poo poo on this page https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/160 which'll integrate accels and gyros and they probably won't suck as much as phone accels

the thing with MEMS accelerometers and gyros is that you pretty much always get what you pay for. the ones in phones are basically the cheapest you can get that still function, since pretty much their only use is "which direction is down relative to the screen". cheap accels are fine if you just want to know instantaneous acceleration, but once you start integrating for velocity and displacement the errors start adding up hilariously quickly. realistically though you're not going to be able to buy good enough accels for decent position data longer than half an hour or so and that's only if you're shelling out thousands. idk much about UAVs though last time i was loving around with GPS and inertial navigation was on a boat, and GPS was more than adequate for our needs. we used one of these receivers and it put our boat within a couple feet of our target pretty reliably: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/465 as an added bonus they're dead simple to use. ive actually got atmega C code around here somewhere for talking to one, although there's almost certainly a more integrated arduino solution.

drat this poo poo is cheap as balls; i had no idea. i was kind of figuring on spending like several hundred dollars on electronic components. gotta love technology. (and here i was thinking that i was going to save money by using a phone, instead of a raspberry pi or something with a couple of boards strapped to it)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Bloody posted:

idk much about UAVs though last time i was loving around with GPS and inertial navigation was on a boat, and GPS was more than adequate for our needs.

yeah GPS is accurate to within a few meters, and it's improving every year. there's also the ESA galileo constellation going up between 2014-2019, with an open signal accurate to within <1m + a commercial signal accurate to <1cm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

yeah GPS is accurate to within a few meters, and it's improving every year. there's also the ESA galileo constellation going up between 2014-2019, with an open signal accurate to within <1m + a commercial signal accurate to <1cm

same for the GPS L5 bands which are already going into service, but receivers for them seem to be hard to come by still, at least on the cheap end. i dunno, i haven't dealt with this poo poo in a couple years.

definitely beats the 90s when gps was intentionally crippled on the non-mil bands though :v:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

coffeetable posted:

how was the military ok with that. oh wait europe lolz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lame
wake me up when its accurate to mm and i can connect gps units to all my limbs and use it to rotoscope (GPSscope?) my entire day

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
we use gps for mocap now. you might think we're larping but we're actually making the next dragon age

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Global Proprioception System

Dec 26, 2012

vapid cutlery posted:

you might think we're larping but we're actually making the next dragon age

so youre larping

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

vapid cutlery posted:

how was the military ok with that

they weren't

the frequencies it was originally supposed to use was close enough to the GPS frequencies that one system couldn't be jammed without jamming the other. so the US had a hissy fit and said that if Galileo was ever used to guide munitions against the US, they'd respond by shooting all the satellites down.

so now Galileo's on a different, possibly less accurate, set of frequencies. ooh-rah.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 28, 2013

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

coffeetable posted:

they weren't

the frequencies it was originally supposed to use was close enough to the GPS frequencies that one system couldn't be jammed without jamming the other. so the US had a hissy fit and said that if Galileo was ever used to guide munitions against the US, they'd respond by shooting all the satellites down.

so now Galileo's on a different, possibly less accurate, set of frequencies. ooh-rah.

What stops them from using gps to shopt rockits to the us? Will they just toggle "encryption on" and all non-military gps devices just stop working?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

And what's stopping them from adding a camera and image recognition software for the missile to periodically literally look where it's going?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

movax posted:

i want to make tacocopter a reality

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i dont actualy know what that means but it sounds pretty good

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
if anyone's looking for a low cost arduino clone for their blinky-light-in-an-altoids-tin project, here's a thing on indiegogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/9-arduino-compatible-starter-kit-anyone-can-learn-electronics

he's selling clones of the arduino leonardo for $9. seems pretty cool

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Ana5000 posted:

What stops them from using gps to shopt rockits to the us? Will they just toggle "encryption on" and all non-military gps devices just stop working?

well until ten years, civilian GPS signals were purposefully degraded by the US military so they'd only be accurate to a hundred meters or so. in 2000 though the system was upgraded so that the military could block the signal over any geographic area they cared to, and the degradation system (called Selective Availability) was turned off.

Ana5000 posted:

And what's stopping them from adding a camera and image recognition software for the missile to periodically literally look where it's going?

they do. most any weapon that uses GPS also has inertial navigation or celestial navigation or terrain-following instruments, b/c the assumption is that in the event of a major war, GPS isn't gonna be around for long. thing is that those instruments are all really fukkin hard to design + build, while a GPS circuit a couple of dollars from ebay.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ana5000 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TERCOM

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

more like dICK posted:

an elint focused space sim whose gui includes a prolog repl. i need an artist to finish it at this point, but if you like math, logic, and loneliness, then it is the game for you
ever played FOFT?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ana5000 posted:

no real disaster-level (eg nuclear) weapons even bother to use anything external whatsoever these days. They use strictly INS and star sighting systems. Pretty much all branches of the military are prepared for GPS-denied combat, because any war on a reasonably even technical battleground (like vs europe, china, russia, india) will very likely see use of at least local or widespread GPS/related jamming.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Cool, if I were a sperg I'd strongly consider being a rocketsperg.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

no real disaster-level (eg nuclear) weapons even bother to use anything external whatsoever these days. They use strictly INS and star sighting systems. Pretty much all branches of the military are prepared for GPS-denied combat, because any war on a reasonably even technical battleground (like vs europe, china, russia, india) will very likely see use of at least local or widespread GPS/related jamming.

celestial navigation is cool as gently caress

thanks to math we can send a giant rocket from our country to an accurate target (200m CEP publicly) across the globe :allears:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

celestial navigation is cool as gently caress

thanks to math we can send a giant rocket from our country to an accurate target (200m CEP publicly) across the globe :allears:

do you work on these things? are we secretly coworkers? i hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Bloody posted:

my work at least has the potential to be lifechanging for millions of people in a few years

movax posted:

Bloody posted:

do you work on these things? are we secretly coworkers? i hope not.