Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dontaht
Aug 4, 2007
That said, just how important is the score? I can see how it would be easier to do that on the vita but I prefer the ps3 for the bigger screen and possibly playing with my friends. I might just end up getting both versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
My first AI partner was a Sorceress named Joseph.

I seriously hope that's her last name :gonk:.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Play Vita version, flail around with your real fingers instead.

Things like that make me think it was originally meant to be a Vita game.

And I thought score determined the experience yield.

I think I may make an Amazon. The Warrior, while not bad, is kind of boring. The real interesting stuff either has to do with tanking or simply locked out by level. Not to mention that the Up+Attack shockwave skill really isn't worth taking at level one.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

They've said you can. The example they gave was that you can make the Elf focus entirely around her kick moves instead of her bow and arrow stuff.
Oh okay. Can you respec your characters at will?

Also, can this run in Japanese or is it English only?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh okay. Can you respec your characters at will?

Also, can this run in Japanese or is it English only?

1. There is a respec, but it involves a difficult to acquire item.

2. If you are talking about voices, then you can choose between english and japanese voices for characters you make. I think the narrator is locked into english, but do not quote me on that. Locality, on the other hand, I have no idea.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Unlucky7 posted:

The Warrior, while not bad, is kind of boring. The real interesting stuff either has to do with tanking or simply locked out by level.

Here's hoping that changes pretty quickly. I'd like to think he has more up his sleeve than just tanking hits.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

2. If you are talking about voices, then you can choose between english and japanese voices for characters you make. I think the narrator is locked into english, but do not quote me on that. Locality, on the other hand, I have no idea.

I hope the narrator isn't, considering there's that day one free DLC (for a month) of the characters narrating the game instead. I was hoping to listen to it narrated as the character I'm playing in the language I'm playing them as!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Overlord K posted:

You folks with early versions should give us an average time on how long it takes you to unlock the online co-op. :colbert:

About 6-7 hours before co-op unlocks if you listen to every dialogue there is. Also, online players can be resurrected just like fallen warriors in dungeons, and added to your singleplayer game. This basically means you can start a new class and have high level allies carry you to co-op.

Edit: There's Japanese DLC to change the game master to a character's voice, 500 yen each, so maybe it's going to be DLC for the west too? That might explain things.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mailer posted:

Here's hoping that changes pretty quickly. I'd like to think he has more up his sleeve than just tanking hits.

Please keep in mind that my impressions are surface level; I mostly look at what is available for my level and does it sound cool, as apposed to looking through all my skills and planning out my character.

EDIT: I find myself liking the Amazon; Can't take hits like the warrior, but can deal out damage, not to mention I like the skills so far. Also, here is a tip: Her axe attacks start out relatively slow but build up as you do damage. If she loses her weapon, however, her kicks are really fast, if not as damaging. So there is use in doing her Power Smash attacks in that you could do it, wail on enemies to get that bonus going, then pick the axe back up. I haven't tested this out yet though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Great last words, pal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is that another player's corpse? Do you get to pick your last words or are they chosen for you?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
IIRC you get to choose four sayings that other people can see, one for hello, one for goodbye, one for reviving your character, and the last one is what your corpse says.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Interestingly, if you have people in your tavern as NPC partners. They might randomly join you drop-in style if you decide to go on a dungeon run solo. I had Joseph the Sorceress just randomly pop in and light up an entire cache of oil barrels with her fire spells, making me waste all my food trying to recover from the fire. :v:

Also heh.

EDIT: And I couldn't pick him up since Joseph decided to ressurect him as a skeleton. Oh well!

avlein fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 28, 2013

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Overlord K posted:

I hope the narrator isn't, considering there's that day one free DLC (for a month) of the characters narrating the game instead. I was hoping to listen to it narrated as the character I'm playing in the language I'm playing them as!

I believe that's an unlock for NG+.

nem-x
Dec 11, 2004

A deaf-mute

Anyone near a store that's already selling this game willing to buy a PS3 copy and priority mail the game to me? I'll even let you keep the artbook if it comes with one and throw in a few extra bucks for the trouble.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Wait, the co-op has to be unlocked?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Apparently so. I'm about 4 hours in and no coop functionality yet.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I was a little upset about finding that out, but now I'm mainly curious if it's a one time unlock or if you have to do it with every character, and if you only have to do it once each. Like if we'll be able to immediately play online co-op on a NG+ hard run and such...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

avlein posted:

Apparently so. I'm about 4 hours in and no coop functionality yet.

I haven't tried it, but that does not make sense, since you can unlock AI companions about 10 minutes in...

VVV Hm, that kinda sucks but it makes sense...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 28, 2013

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I think it's only online co-op that has to be unlocked. From what I've seen, couch co-op is there when you start the game for the first time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it something in-world like getting the white soapstone in Dark Souls?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it something in-world like getting the white soapstone in Dark Souls?

No, there'll be an on-screen message when it unlocks, outside of dungeoning. There's a little lore context I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of which, is it like Dark Souls where when co-op people come into your game, it's still YOUR game, and you're the only one who can decide what to do? I love Borderlands 2 but I don't like how players can come into my game and just run amuck instead of helping me.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of which, is it like Dark Souls where when co-op people come into your game, it's still YOUR game, and you're the only one who can decide what to do? I love Borderlands 2 but I don't like how players can come into my game and just run amuck instead of helping me.

All players have to stay in the same room of the dungeon, but they can't move the visual area so a player is offscreen. Any player can make area transitions though. There's no real incentive to run amuck really though, all score/coins are given to each player, and all treasure comes from chests/bosses, so there's no loot ninjaing involved. As the host you don't really get any more authority besides having the best ping though; there will be dungeon paths to choose later and it's a vote. I guess if players want to be a dick they can hold the party back to get killed by area hazards/mobs if they want, as you can only slowly move the screen if a player is dragging behind.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So basically like any other beat em up

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dark Souls players can literally ruin your save file by killing all of your merchants, so it's not like it has some huge advantage over Borderlands 2.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just reading over this entire last page of the thread has been painful with the amount of confusion going on. So far from what I gather:

--The NA version is all English text, but player characters are dual-audio and the narrator's voice can be switched with free DLC for a month when street date hits There's a main narrator, and there's a narration track by the voice of each of the characters. The main narrator is unlocked by default while the characters are available as in-game drops or free DLC. There will be no narration by the JP narrator or the JP character voices in the NA release (?).

--Couch co-op is available from the beginning, online co-op requires between 5 and 7 hours of progression into the game first

--Can anyone confirm whether Couch co-op players can also invite online co-op players?

--Each character class has multiple options to put progression into, allowing for different builds on the same class. Re-spec'ing is allowed but requires a rare item.

--Everyone's railroaded together in a menu or a stage, there is no free-roaming like in Borderlands or Dark Souls. It's Castle Crashers, not Grand Theft Auto.

Did I get everything right?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 28, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mirthless posted:

Dark Souls players can literally ruin your save file by killing all of your merchants, so it's not like it has some huge advantage over Borderlands 2.

This.... can never happen. Invaders and allies cannot interact with your NPCs. Period.

Now, however, they can trick you into killing your own merchants.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ineffiable posted:

This.... can never happen. Invaders and allies cannot interact with your NPCs. Period.

And they can close or open important doors.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
You can respec with a rare item? What item?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

And they can close or open important doors.
I suppose there are tricky things like that yeah, but what I meant is that their fate is tied to the host's, they only get a reward when the host wins, and if the host dies they get kicked out. That's what games like BL2 lack, that kind of incentivization of helping the host. It's something I hope more co-op games in the future have.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

avlein posted:

My first AI partner was a Sorceress named Joseph.

I seriously hope that's her last name :gonk:.
Serious Response: It may be short for Josephine.

Comedy Response: Looks like the Sorceress is actually objectifying male-to-female transsexuals, which makes Kamitani a progressive male chauvinist pig :goleft:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Comedy Response: Looks like the Sorceress is actually objectifying male-to-female transsexuals, which makes Kamitani a progressive male chauvinist pig :goleft:
No.

Also, having to unlock online co-op seems really dumb. Like, extraordinarily dumb. It's gonna make the online community smaller than it already was gonna be, for one thing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ineffiable posted:

There have been hacks that can do exactly that, they're the most rare kind of hackers though. Most will simply stat drain you and then curse you.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?

Endorph posted:

No.

Also, having to unlock online co-op seems really dumb. Like, extraordinarily dumb. It's gonna make the online community smaller than it already was gonna be, for one thing.

I'm with you on that one. 3 friends and I pre-ordered with release-date delivery expecting to get our monster bashing on. Only to find out some people are apparently playing for several hours and still not able to hop into online co-op.

So loving stupid.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lammy! posted:

I'm with you on that one. 3 friends and I pre-ordered with release-date delivery expecting to get our monster bashing on. Only to find out some people are apparently playing for several hours and still not able to hop into online co-op.

So loving stupid.

There's PLOT REASONS for it, mostly. It doesn't take very long if you're rushing, either. Basically you have to do I think 6? of the dungeons in a special easy mode before it unlocks the main meat of the game, which is the continuous dungeon crawling and the online capable mode. It's really not terribly long.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I disagree. This is primarily a singleplayer game. Half of the game focuses on story while the other half enables co-op to find the talismans.

My own complaints about this game thus far would be - netcode is laggy, you can forget about doing combos online. And there's a lack of immersion and sense of destruction in online co-op because of so much poo poo on screen at once, everything's 2D and there's no separation between you and the level of the enemy. Even singling out an enemy is difficult.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megalixir posted:

I disagree. This is primarily a singleplayer game. Half of the game focuses on story while the other half enables co-op to find the talismans.

My own complaints about this game thus far would be - netcode is laggy, you can forget about doing combos online. And there's a lack of immersion and sense of destruction in online co-op because of so much poo poo on screen at once, everything's 2D and there's no separation between you and the level of the enemy. Even singling out an enemy is difficult.

Wow. That sounds awful. :smith:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Wow. That sounds awful. :smith:

Both of those things just say "It's a traditional beat-em-up" to me. The netcode being bad just makes couch co-op more appealing, and the other thing has ALWAYS been a problem with beat-em-ups and it's impossible to really fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

Both of those things just say "It's a traditional beat-em-up" to me. The netcode being bad just makes couch co-op more appealing, and the other thing has ALWAYS been a problem with beat-em-ups and it's impossible to really fix.

Edit: never mind I misread the post.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2013

• Locked thread