Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

YouTube does not seem to have a video properly demonstrating Magic Fingers, but for the curious, pop in Vacation. The Griswolds encounter one.

Or the X-Files episode "Bad Blood".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Snark posted:

There was also a huge overlap between tokens and MetroCards. The first MetroCards came out in 1993, the last token was accepted in 2003. So there was some flexibility while the kinks were worked out.

I kind of miss how good the token booth guys were. They would just have a big pile of change and tokens in front of them, and you could slide any amount of cash through the little slot under the bulletproof glass and say (or hold up fingers to show) how many tokens you wanted and they would, in one swift motion of one hand, slide back the exact right amount of tokens and change to you without even looking up from the Knicks game on their tiny portable TV

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Is it common for businesses and universities to still be running these old mainframes?
Can't speak for universities but yes, mainframes are still common in large businesses, because they're still the most cost-effective way to do the kind of work they do.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It also allows for quicker recovery in case of a terminal crapping itself. I work with a standard laptop but all the files in a strange state of being both on my laptop and the server. I've no clue how it works but it's marvelous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Snark posted:

There was also a huge overlap between tokens and MetroCards. The first MetroCards came out in 1993, the last token was accepted in 2003. So there was some flexibility while the kinks were worked out.

You look at this timetable and while it is insane, you have to realize that the token dispensing machines were done away with rather quickly. They phased out the token accepting turnstiles much more slowly.

Boston, on the other hand, phased in the CharlieTicket* vending machines exceedingly slowly and phased out the token accepting seemingly overnight.

Which meant that for weeks you got to deal with incredibly surly MBTA employees manning these plexiglass boxes in stations without card reading terminals. Because they just ripped all of the turnstiles out of the ground at once with nothing to replace them.

You could throw a token, the fare in cash or your card into the box. That's right, if you had a card you had to just throw it in, even if you had $50 worth of fares on it. It was loving absurd, and at least one station went from tokens to the box back to tokens back to the box and then to cards.

The MBTA (I would probably argue Boston as a whole) is obsolete and antiquated.

(I will say I actually much prefer RFID systems like the CharlieCard and the countless others to the MTA swipe system, I hate having to fish around for my MetroCard instead of just plonking my wallet onto a pad like I could do in Boston.)

*CharlieTickets are paper tickets with a magnetic stripe that you have to feed into a slot on the turnstiles, while CharlieCards are plastic cards with RFID chips in them that you just bang on a reader. of course, being in Boston, you can't get a Card vended to you with money on it, you have to find the station agent booth, get a card, go back to the vending machines and put money on it.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Can't speak for universities but yes, mainframes are still common in large businesses, because they're still the most cost-effective way to do the kind of work they do.

At least one rather large financial services company uses what must be a mainframe terminal emulator for account management. Seeing it pulled up on multi-monitor trading stations alongside all the slick graphing and analytic programs is a little jarring.

Inspector_666 has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Jul 27, 2013

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
In any financial services company big enough to have a retail storefront all those transactions are going to end up on the mainframe for end-of-day processing anyway, so they may as well cut out the middleman and have the branch reps enter 'em there directly. :smuggo:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lazlo Nibble posted:

In any financial services company big enough to have a retail storefront all those transactions are going to end up on the mainframe for end-of-day processing anyway, so they may as well cut out the middleman and have the branch reps enter 'em there directly. :smuggo:

It's not that sort of company, they handle backend stuff for other brokerages. But yeah, it's probably the same thing at the end of the day.

It's just funny seeing them push out new software that's like "Here's the best and flashiest thing to analyze market trends now if you want to see how many shares customer X has you just fire up this terminal emulator window and..."

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I worked for a major hardware store and the backend systems were all tied into some kind of mainframe system, I never examined the details but it sounds like it may have been a 3270 series system. Used F keys for navigation, and to select various functions we typed different three digit codes.

We used G-Link as a terminal emulator at least. I think there was a Linux server or two handling the bridge between the mainframe inventory system and the much more modern POS systems. Checking inventory from the POS still involved "dialing" in and submitting a request (it was all IP over VPN but it was amazingly slow most of the time).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Also the costs of migrating off a working mainframe system can be daunting.

The tax department here has budgeted $1.5 billion over ten years for replacing their current system, and this is a country with only around 4.5 million people

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

dissss posted:

Yep. I've worked for two retail places in my life, major chains, where if you dig deep enough, you end up at a mainframe system. My current job too, on the brick and mortar side of it. I'd be terrified at the scale/complexity of replacing that - we've got probably 30 years of stuff built on top of it, and to replace the core with something more modern, then have to rewrite and test all of that business functionality, for the scale of business we are... yeesh.

And besides - if it works, why replace it? The cost to do so will be staggering, both in labor and money, so we'd need a pretty significant reason to rip it out. It really isn't giving us any problems now worth replacing it for.

Though this does make me think of one of the new hires at work for our IT [infrastructure] department. He was like 19, this was his first job, and probably the second day he was here he walked up to my desk and said "I'd like to replace your SVN [source control] system with Git, it's way better, because..." and I shut him down pretty much instantly. SVN works great for us, we have zero problems with it, we have a ton of tools/systems built around it, and even if I wanted to move to Git - which I might someday, who knows - I don't have the resources to put on that project [documentation, converting existing tools, moving the source over, etc] anyway. He gave me a look I will never forget - he looked like I just ran over his dog.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Though this does make me think of one of the new hires at work for our IT [infrastructure] department. He was like 19, this was his first job, and probably the second day he was here he walked up to my desk and said "I'd like to replace your SVN [source control] system with Git, it's way better, because..." and I shut him down pretty much instantly. SVN works great for us, we have zero problems with it, we have a ton of tools/systems built around it, and even if I wanted to move to Git - which I might someday, who knows - I don't have the resources to put on that project [documentation, converting existing tools, moving the source over, etc] anyway. He gave me a look I will never forget - he looked like I just ran over his dog.

He is surely writing a DailyWTF submission as we speak.

The biggest problem with moving to git is that all the fucks will whine because it's not SVN. It's a pretty good source control system and is easier to set up (both client and server side) than SVN, but people really seem to be attached to SVN.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

He is surely writing a DailyWTF submission as we speak.

That's a pretty harsh thing to say about a person.

(Actually I guess it's just the 'editors' who are terrible.)

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
You guys might find this interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23330157

Inverkip power station was an oil-fired power station that was completed in the late 70's, just in time for the oil crisis and subsequently very rarely generated any power - all the original systems are still in place from the 1970s. It's being demolished today.

Any ID on that computer? (Nice monitor burn btw)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Axeman Jim posted:

Inverkip power station was an oil-fired power station that was completed in the late 70's, just in time for the oil crisis and subsequently very rarely generated any power - all the original systems are still in place from the 1970s. It's being demolished today.

Used to go by Inverkip power station every day on the way to work.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Axeman Jim posted:

That's a Computek 300 smart terminal, one of the terminals that could produce what passed for pretty good graphics in the early 1970s.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

Also a DECwriter II in the background. :dance:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

More nice Inverkip Power Station photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickrphotos/sets/72157600130113050/with/475417422/

PDP-11 with tape drives

Paper-tape punch

Telex machine

and much more at the link

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

dissss posted:

It is nearly impossible to get rid of a tailor-made legacy system. My job involves maintaining such a system. Replacing it with something more modern has been discussed every so often, but it cost somewhere north of 100 programmer-years to build the system we have, so guess what it would take to build a new one? The option of paying some guy (me) to keep the old thing shambling along wins out every time.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

When I visited relatives once in the UK I came across Ceefax:

It was basically a teletext system that let you look at news, weather, sports, etc while accompanied by some nice loungy music that some people have actually gone to the effort of recording (much like how some people record music used on The Weather Channel). It got shut off last year because of the digital switchover and because no one cared about staring at teletext when the Internet existed.

There was also videotex which instead of sending data in one direction did it both ways and resulted in poo poo like Viewtron in the US which didn't last very long:

Not gonna lie, though, Ceefax seemed like a cool rear end thing to have on in the background.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Zeether posted:

When I visited relatives once in the UK I came across Ceefax:

It was basically a teletext system that let you look at news, weather, sports, etc while accompanied by some nice loungy music that some people have actually gone to the effort of recording (much like how some people record music used on The Weather Channel). It got shut off last year because of the digital switchover and because no one cared about staring at teletext when the Internet existed.

There was also videotex which instead of sending data in one direction did it both ways and resulted in poo poo like Viewtron in the US which didn't last very long:

Not gonna lie, though, Ceefax seemed like a cool rear end thing to have on in the background.

Austria still has this too. It's mostly filled with sex-line advertisements complete with ANSI drawings of naked girls.

Here are some examples:

NWS: http://i.imgur.com/LR34bHL.jpg
NWS: http://i.imgur.com/0CsGrp0.jpg

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just found out via Wikipedia that the BBC still does a teletext thing called Red Button but it's digital. So I guess teletext still exists in a way, but Ceefax is long gone.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Technically they are called videotex services. The most successful was France's Minitel:

It started in 1982 and finally went offline last year.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Brother Jonathan posted:

Technically they are called videotex services. The most successful was France's Minitel:

It started in 1982 and finally went offline last year.

Minitel was basically a BBS that the terminal dialed into. I'm talking about a service that is broadcast over the air in DVB-T signals. Prior to DVB, it was done with analog broadcasts and whatever kind of decoder was necessary in the set-top-box or television.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
That keyboard! Are they all like that in France?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Zeether posted:

I just found out via Wikipedia that the BBC still does a teletext thing called Red Button but it's digital. So I guess teletext still exists in a way, but Ceefax is long gone.
The information pages may be gone, but the technology is still in use for subtitles for the hard of hearing. At least on satellite, don't know about the rest.

Also checking in to say teletext is still being used to its fullest potential in Belgium and it would still be my go-to place to find out when a specific plane will land on Brussels airport.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah it was useful before the internet took off. You could read the latest news, get the weather, sports updates etc. A lot of people used it to buy last-minute holidays to get a great bargain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Lincoln posted:

That keyboard! Are they all like that in France?

Yes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

So 888 still works?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So 888 still works?

No, but you can still get subtitles on the digital signal

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So 888 still works?
It does on satellite, which I suspect so far is still drawn from an analog signal or something (?)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DNova posted:

Austria still has this too. It's mostly filled with sex-line advertisements complete with ANSI drawings of naked girls.

Here are some examples:

NWS: http://i.imgur.com/LR34bHL.jpg
NWS: http://i.imgur.com/0CsGrp0.jpg

This is rad as hell. Neon text titties.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also checking in to say teletext is still being used to its fullest potential in Belgium and it would still be my go-to place to find out when a specific plane will land on Brussels airport.

Rumor has it that it might be gone in 2014 or 2015 though, and at least one of the big Belgian TV providers doesn't really put any effort in getting it to work properly on their STBs(Including giving any reported bugs with it the lowest priority ever and having incomplete documentation for certain functions)

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

DNova posted:

Minitel was basically a BBS that the terminal dialed into. I'm talking about a service that is broadcast over the air in DVB-T signals. Prior to DVB, it was done with analog broadcasts and whatever kind of decoder was necessary in the set-top-box or television.

Gotcha. I didn't notice the mention of television. Minitel was part of the phone service from France Télécom.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

I kind of want an ŪGJRMV keyboard now.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Ceefax wasn't an actual thing, it was just what the BBC called their teletext service. ITV called their teletext service Oracle.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Flipperwaldt posted:

The information pages may be gone, but the technology is still in use for subtitles for the hard of hearing. At least on satellite, don't know about the rest.

Still in extensive use in Norway, too. Program listings, news in brief, etc.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It was called teletext in Australia. I guess they just couldn't be bothered mucking around.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
a dutch broadcaster, NOS, even has an TeleTekst (as it's called here) app on the appstore. You can also look it up on their website: http://nos.nl/teletekst/#100_01

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Call Now posted:

I kind of want an ŪGJRMV keyboard now.

I was in Latvia earlier this year, they were using Qwerty so I don't know what's up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
To me, Ceefax was always an indicator of "you've been drinking for too long and it's time to go to bed".

If you were still drinking by the time the sign language programs came on then it was DEFINITELY time to stop.