Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

Yeah there is a lot of poo poo to call ESPN out on but Deadspin's coverage of them comes off as so weird and petty sometimes that I frequently find myself in the strange position of rooting for an organization that builds an entire hour of programing around Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling outrageous things at each other.

And that breakdown of what they devote time on Sportscenter to doesn't even seem that outrageous to me. I would guess that if anything their average viewer would prefer a much more NFL centric show.

It makes ESPN pretty angry, or at least Deadspin people are under the impression it does, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Yeah there is a lot of poo poo to call ESPN out on but Deadspin's coverage of them comes off as so weird and petty sometimes that I frequently find myself in the strange position of rooting for an organization that builds an entire hour of programing around Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling outrageous things at each other.

And that breakdown of what they devote time on Sportscenter to doesn't even seem that outrageous to me. I would guess that if anything their average viewer would prefer a much more NFL centric show.

I'm not outraged, but I'm glad they did it. It's interesting to see what gets the most airtime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Honestly, the only part about the coverage breakdown that bothers me is how little time Hockey gets but every sport above it is more popular in the US, so it's not even ESPN that's the problem.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

zakharov posted:

Deadspin spends a shitload of time covering SportsCenter and the internal workings of ESPN. I guess someone cares but it sure isn't me.

Who watches the watchmen?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Who watches SportsCenter?"

Lots of people do, myself included. Its an easy way to see highlights and post game interviews you have may have missed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lord knows you wouldn't want to miss the many insightful things to come out of post game interviews like

midwat
May 6, 2007

MourningView posted:

Lord knows you wouldn't want to miss the many insightful things to come out of post game interviews like

Or pre-game interviews. Or mid-game interviews. Basically, athlete/coach interviews should be outlawed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Do the names Denny Green, Jim Mora and Hal McRae mean nothing to you?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOH-KHxXg0

midwat
May 6, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Do the names Denny Green, Jim Mora and Hal McRae mean nothing to you?

Plus side: occasional coach blowups. Negative side: "Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?" becomes slightly less funny after the 650th repetition.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Both teams played hard," is probably the best post game ever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MourningView posted:

The entire crew of MNF going to town on the replacement refs was pretty great.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Kalli posted:

The entire crew of MNF going to town on the replacement refs was pretty great.

That temporary period where the sports media actually called the NFL on its poo poo was pretty cool.

I think Peter King even put down his caramel mocha triple venti frappuccino to comment on it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Honestly, the only part about the coverage breakdown that bothers me is how little time Hockey gets but every sport above it is more popular in the US, so it's not even ESPN that's the problem.

ESPN covered hockey really well until they got the NBA TV deal

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ElwoodCuse posted:

ESPN covered hockey really well until they got the NBA TV deal

That, coupled with LeBron's ascendency to possibly the most recognizable athlete in America among the target demographic, means that it comes in second only to football. Basketball is big money, and since there are so many possessions, it is digestible in highlight form.

You couldn't ask for a better sport for SportsCenter.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

"Well, everyone was pretty much phoning it in today but it's nice that we ended up on top, I guess. I get paid either way."

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I don't know, this one certainly puts up a challenge I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

That, coupled with LeBron's ascendency to possibly the most recognizable athlete in America among the target demographic, means that it comes in second only to football. Basketball is big money, and since there are so many possessions, it is digestible in highlight form.

You couldn't ask for a better sport for SportsCenter.

Also, unlike the other major pro sports they have the rights to their championship. Of course they're gonna push whatever they have hard.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Those who complain about the NBA getting all this extra Sportscenter coverage are probably dummies who don't recognize that a sick dunk is the best highlight in all of sports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Those who complain about the NBA getting all this extra Sportscenter coverage are probably dummies who don't recognize that a sick dunk is the best highlight in all of sports.

Also they are probably racist.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

MourningView posted:

Also they are probably racist.

I will reserve judgement on that until I hear their opinions on college basketball.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Better fundamentals, just more "pure," you know?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

I will reserve judgement on that until I hear their opinions on college basketball.

College Basketball is cool. Not a fan until March, but when March comes it's literally one of the best months of the year. Also despite me being a fan of a "Fundamentals" school (Purdue), I'm a bigger fan of watching schools trying to be Phi Slamma Jamma pt II.

I have a slight bias against the NBA because of "The Decision". I love the Cavs, love the team, and really following the NBA prior to that. But it really soured me on not only the NBA, but pro sports as a whole.

e: to add, ESPN SUCKS at covering the NBA to boot. NBC was amazingly good at it, and should have never lost the rights.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have a slight bias against the NBA because of "The Decision". I love the Cavs, love the team, and really following the NBA prior to that. But it really soured me on not only the NBA, but pro sports as a whole.

Maybe give it another shot. Kyrie Irving is one of the most fun players in the league.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Cavs are in a good place despite seeming like they make nothing but Cavsy decisions

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

I like college basketball and football because I feel more association to the teams than any team in pro sports and I think that's an entirely reasonable opinion to have. :colbert:

Both college and pro are fun as hell for entirely different sets of reasons.

Also gently caress anyone who complains about NBA coverage. Sick dunks for life.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

As much as I can't stand ESPN, I figured I'd post this to be fair. If you liked or didn't get a chance to see their largely outstanding 30 For 30 documentaries, cross-posted from the Blu-Ray Deal Megathread, there is a great deal on the box set at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ESPN-30-Colle...ASIN=B005JTTYBI

Barely more than a buck a piece for the miracle of combining ESPN and Bill Simmons to get something great.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

As much as I can't stand ESPN, I figured I'd post this to be fair. If you liked or didn't get a chance to see their largely outstanding 30 For 30 documentaries, cross-posted from the Blu-Ray Deal Megathread, there is a great deal on the box set at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ESPN-30-Colle...ASIN=B005JTTYBI

Barely more than a buck a piece for the miracle of combining ESPN and Bill Simmons to get something great.

Holy crap I never realized they were available with Amazon Prime. (It's easier there than Netflix because they're all in one place rather than scattered basically.) Are there any extras on the Collector's Set that makes it more worth it?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

uublog posted:

Are there any extras on the Collector's Set that makes it more worth it?

I'm pretty sure there is no extra content. This is one is called the "Collector's Set" but only shows the box. Then there's another one called "Collector's Edition" that comes with a little booklet and an ESPN hat (woooo!). That one is listed for $85. I can't tell if they are the same thing or not.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
It's definitely an eyebrow-raiser that ESPN showed more NHL highlights, a league it doesn't own the rights to, than NASCAR highlights. Of course, now that NASCAR has packed up and signed a $4.4 billion deal with NBC, we can probably figure out why.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Part of the reason America isn't interested in hockey is that ESPN fails to inform them of anything exciting about it.

I look forward to the demise of the cable bubble, but in the meantime more challengers to ESPN's dominance is a good thing. They seem to be heading down the road to becoming the NBA/NCCA/PGA/"etc" channel anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Craptacular! posted:

Part of the reason America isn't interested in hockey is that ESPN fails to inform them of anything exciting about it.

I look forward to the demise of the cable bubble, but in the meantime more challengers to ESPN's dominance is a good thing. They seem to be heading down the road to becoming the NBA/NCCA/PGA/"etc" channel anyway.

Those other channels will probably focus on the sports they're invested in, as well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's definitely an eyebrow-raiser that ESPN showed more NHL highlights, a league it doesn't own the rights to, than NASCAR highlights. Of course, now that NASCAR has packed up and signed a $4.4 billion deal with NBC, we can probably figure out why.

Really? When did this happen and how did I miss it? NBC has all the major auto racing "leagues" now, which is super cool. If NBC brands this the right way, that would rule and really help them.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

DOOP posted:

Really? When did this happen and how did I miss it? NBC has all the major auto racing "leagues" now, which is super cool. If NBC brands this the right way, that would rule and really help them.

Sometime last week. You didn't hear about it because ESPN.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's definitely an eyebrow-raiser that ESPN showed more NHL highlights, a league it doesn't own the rights to, than NASCAR highlights.

There are substantially more hockey games than NASCAR races so I'm not sure why you think this is weird or something nefarious.

Craptacular! posted:

They pushed it harder when they had the rights to it. People still didn't care, which is part of the reason they let the rights go.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm gonna get on my soapbox here and say America, as a whole, is not going to ever like hockey, the same as soccer. There isn't the gratification of constant scoring like there is in basketball, which is the closest allegory for the back-and-forth of those sports. If you compare them to other relatively low-scoring sports like football and baseball, there is no tension and release. It's a lot of back-and-forth without a lot happening, and when compared to the go-to sports in the USA, I don't see hockey and soccer catching on in a massive way.

I don't know why I decided this is the best spot for this soapbox, but there you go.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah hockey's a niche thing here. That doesn't make it a bad sport or anything (I don't passionately follow it because I'm usually tied up in basketball that time of year, but I started following the Ducks a bit after moving here and enjoyed it; please don't tell hockey fans), but I don't think it's ever going to get a huge audience. Which is fine. The people who love it really really love it, and that's cool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I kind of feel that attempting to promote hockey below the mason-dixon line is idiotic. Which again, is half of the US. Like, in my perfect NHL? There would be exactly two "southern" teams, one being in LA, and the other being in Tampa Bay.

The NBA certainly is more fortunate in that it can snake it's way into cities like Miami (can't believe I just typed that), LA, San Antonio, Houston, Phoenix and a whole number of other places because it's a game that seems to allow easier access to play, and doesn't need a certain weather type to play.

NFL and Soccer also can be in that category as well.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
1. The thing that always struck me about ESPN's NASCAR coverage was that the network rarely did anything in the big picture of a season, it was always race by race (save for a major injury). I also can't remember the last time I saw NASCAR NOW, which was pretty good.

2. Hockey is not ever going to be that big in the U.S., which is okay...

3. ...but soccer has a legitimate foothold and is going to be huge. The Big Four will soon be A Thing again with MLS having replaced the NHL.

ne: The hilarious thing about soccer is that it's the one pro sport that people in Florida might actually turn out to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kind of feel that attempting to promote hockey below the mason-dixon line is idiotic. Which again, is half of the US. Like, in my perfect NHL? There would be exactly two "southern" teams, one being in LA, and the other being in Tampa Bay.

The most important thing geographic expansion of the NHL accomplished was a massive increase in people playing the sport. The US Junior program is better than it's ever been and every year more Americans are drafted who grew up playing hockey in California, Texas, Florida, etc.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

3. ...but soccer has a legitimate foothold and is going to be huge. The Big Four will soon be A Thing again with MLS having replaced the NHL.

This is never happening as long as the best players in the world are all in Europe. NBC pays more money to show the EPL on TV than MLS. And their NHL TV deal is for even more money.