Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Wagatsuma-san is my wife!(我妻さんは俺のヨメ)

Aoshima Hitoshi wakes up one day and realizes he can sometimes time slip 10 years into the future, where he's now happily married to the most popular girl in school.

Problem is, because he's so plain and unpopular in the present she doesn't even know he exists!

How the hell's a below-average dude supposed to win the heart of the love of his life and make the future come true?

Wagatsuma-san is my wife! is a time slip romantic comedy manga by Yuu Kuraishi and Keishi Nishikida, currently running in Weekly Shonen magazine.
It's also the goddamn funniest High School comedy (with fantastic frames every chapter) you'll read in a long time and needs more people to read it. Seriously, if you love crazy facial expressions and references this manga has it in spades.

Characters

Aoshima Hitoshi
Our 17 year old main character. Your very average high school student with very terrible grades and fitness but with some sense of moral and self awareness. Strips down to his underwear when depressed. May or may not be a goon.

Wagatsuma Ai
The most popular beauty in school with excellent grades, star of the swim team and somehow Aoshima's loving wife in the future. Kind to others, but can be surprisingly ditzy and stubborn at times. Enjoys watching Japanese dramas and Quiz shows. How cute is she?

Aoshima Hikari
The younger twin-tailed little sister of our main character, and the voice of reason among the two siblings. Knows the ABCs of relationships and the hustle.

Itou Shirou
Aoshima's friend and volleyball teammate. Has a disturbingly wide knowledge of music, lip reading and photoshop skills, among many more illegal know-hows. Goon perfected.

Komatsu Masao
Part of Aoshima's trio of friendship, he's the leader of a (kinda) secret society dedicated to (kinda) hating on popular people. Has pretty terrible taste in everything. Is also probably definitely a goon.

Shimatsuma Sylvia
The exotic exchange student from Holland. Quiet and a lone wolf, she's nicknamed Queen Sylvia due to her cold exterior and slightly condescending personality. Is sometimes Aoshima's wife in the future. Actually a massive anime fan.

Do you enjoy

Good looking bros?

Fighting?

Rocking out?

Romance?

Kissing?

Then what are you waiting for? Read it at Manga Fox or Batoto now!

Or you know,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As of Maximum the Hormone Karaoke, I am on board with this manga.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

After reading that spoiler Sylvia sounds like a far superior choice.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Namtab posted:

After reading that spoiler Sylvia sounds like a far superior choice.

It must be bad luck on my part in choice of manga to read, but I swear that "Every love interest except the main one, which shall here-to-be known as The-First-Seen One, shall be far, far, FAR superior" must be some sort of law that you have to follow when writing manga. I'm guessing it is a side-effect of the secondary loves having to 'fight' tooth-and-nail for their love or sacrifice themselves that causes them to get far more character development than the main love, which usually just feels like their destiny was plopped onto their lap. Plenty of other threads certainly attest to Japan's horrible taste in characters, particularly the amount of vitriol that was generated from TWGOK's popularity contest.

Anyway, that aside, this looks interesting thanks to the amusing and graphical OP; guess I'll take a look.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sometimes there's an upset victory. Urusei Yatsura had an early chapter where they went to the future and then a different love interest than the one that chapter showed ended up winning in the end.

Not really fussed about it in this case.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, this series is amazing :roflolmao:

The faces, the assholes friends. Is like being back on high school :v:

Edit: HOLY poo poo, I lost it with the sleeper hold

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 25, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I started this series a while back, and kinda wanted to like it, but something about the way the guys' faces were drawn just didn't sit right with me. Not sure why, since I had no problem with GTO.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Was this originally run in another magazine or something? It seems that the chapters marked "SP" are an earlier serialization or something.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rodyle posted:

Was this originally run in another magazine or something? It seems that the chapters marked "SP" are an earlier serialization or something.

Basically yeah. Apparently the first 11 chapters were in another magazine first, and are marked SP. Then it got restarted, but it'll still refer to those first 11 chapters as introductions for Sylvia and etc. The scanlators didn't start on the first 11 chapters till a while later, so there's still that gap, but it's not that big of a deal probably.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Allarion posted:

Basically yeah. Apparently the first 11 chapters were in another magazine first, and are marked SP. Then it got restarted, but it'll still refer to those first 11 chapters as introductions for Sylvia and etc. The scanlators didn't start on the first 11 chapters till a while later, so there's still that gap, but it's not that big of a deal probably.

Yeah I was a bit :raise: about that too since they lightly touch up on introducing characters again, but at least it doesn't get into the way of the humor or reuses much jokes.

I've been thinking about what makes this manga good, and it's refreshing how single-minded the plot really is, where unlike some romance comedies where you'll get a lot of needless conflicts or lots of love interests. At its heart it's still a manga about growing up.

Every chapter is just Aoshima haphazardly screwing up to try to impress the girl of his dreams, and somehow still getting her attention. You can't help but cheer Aoshima on because he's so earnest about it, and everyone behaves like a high schooler should.

Also there's this

rvm
May 6, 2013
Just got to the obligatory beach chapter and then magic happened. :allears:

Nice find, OP.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Goddamit Hitoshi, Sylvia is clearly the best choice, stop trying to drive her apart :argh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This thing is really fond of Japanese celebrities that I've never heard of.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter :roflolmao: Holy poo poo the faces

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Goony goon goon the goon goon goon a goon. Look at this goon the goon max goon resplendent goon goony gooner goon goon (goon)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It took me quite a while to figure out that most, or at least a lot, of the chapter names are song titles or homages to them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zorak posted:

Goony goon goon the goon goon goon a goon. Look at this goon the goon max goon resplendent goon goony gooner goon goon (goon)

Pretty much this. drat if the manga isn't enjoyable though.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Goddamit Hitoshi, Sylvia is clearly the best choice, stop trying to drive her apart :argh:

It's amazing how bent out of shape he gets over what I'd consider a pretty good either-or situation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Senor Science posted:

It's amazing how bent out of shape he gets over what I'd consider a pretty good either-or situation.

Looks like somebody doesn't remember being an oblivious dumbass teenager who can't see anything but the one thing they're looking at.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I really liked the SP chapter where he fixes Dobashi's future and Dobashi spends his dates with Ai talking about how great Hitoshi is.

I wish they touched on that kind of stuff a bit more. But yeah, Sylvia is clearly the superior choice although she is a bit tsundere.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Both girls are super generic, I don't see how you can really say one is better than the other. The real draw is the DX Brigade.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

BlitzBlast posted:

Both girls are super generic, I don't see how you can really say one is better than the other. The real draw is the DX Brigade.

It makes me really :buddy: to see that in the future the guys in the DX Brigade all turn out alright. Kinda.

It's also hilarious in the latest chapter that They even let Dobashi join their unpopular kids club dedicated to hating him, because deep down they're bros (united by love of...panties?). I also really liked how it was mentioned by SchrodingersCat where Aoshima helps out Dobashi because he didn't want him to turn into a jobless loser in the future, even though he was his rival in getting the girl. It sets up their friendship in the future that much better.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
There really needs to be more of this... Does anyone know roughly how big the backlog of untranslated chapters is? The premise alone had me laughing and the manga itself certainly didn't disappoint!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are six volumes out, and translations go up to the second chapter of the fifth. Translators seem to be working fast, so we should hopefully be up to date soon enough.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone know what's going on with the translation order? Everything on Mangafox appears to be out of order; it just updated with two new chapters from volume 2, even though we appear to be up to volume 5. Also, those chapters say that the story in them will continue in volume 3, but the volume 3 we actually have doesn't seem to have any relation to it.

Link: http://mangafox.me/manga/wagatsuma_san_wa_ore_no_yome/v02/c009/1.html

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DoubleDonut posted:

Anyone know what's going on with the translation order? Everything on Mangafox appears to be out of order; it just updated with two new chapters from volume 2, even though we appear to be up to volume 5. Also, those chapters say that the story in them will continue in volume 3, but the volume 3 we actually have doesn't seem to have any relation to it.

Link: http://mangafox.me/manga/wagatsuma_san_wa_ore_no_yome/v02/c009/1.html

Volume 3 is just a slight reboot due to being moved to a different magazine. Scanlators just started from Vol 3 initially before going back to translate the first 2 volumes. All the stuff from Vol. 1 and 2 still happened though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nice series. I love the concept of terrible teenage courtship mixed with the power of hindsight.

I guess the only issue is the translation keeps splitting words in weird ways. The worst is the main girl's name, which has been split inconsistently throughout but is most often done one way that I can't stop saying her name is

Wagat
Suma

which of course my brain tells me is wrong so hey maybe dyslexically flip the W and S and now I'm thinking of Street Fighter.

They even do it with English words too, like

grou
nd

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter I found it amusing but not as good as previous chapters.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

AnacondaHL posted:

I guess the only issue is the translation keeps splitting words in weird ways. The worst is the main girl's name, which has been split inconsistently throughout but is most often done one way that I can't stop saying her name is

Wagat
Suma

which of course my brain tells me is wrong so hey maybe dyslexically flip the W and S and now I'm thinking of Street Fighter.

There's also 3 extra special chapters up! Get reading.

Special Chapter 9

Special Chapter 10

Special Chapter 11

In their own way they are all very :3:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Chapter I found it amusing but not as good as previous chapters.

Well like the beginning said, it was the author writing a comedy instead of a coming-of-age thing.

EDIT: Oh wait, I didn't see chapter 11 was up. Derp.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

And we're back in business :haw:

The DX brigade is the best :allears:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Looks like the subgroup had a Wagatsuma translation marathon, which means New chapters are out! :woop:

Chapter 19- Sympathy for the Brother

Chapter 20- Classroom Rock

Chapter 21- GO! GO! MANIAC

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
New week, 3 new Chapters are up! Good to see that there's an ongoing plot now too. Kind of.

Click!

Chapter 22 Don't stop me now

Chpater 23 St Anger

Chapter 24 Dance Everybody

Chapter 24:I did a proud fist pump when they finally played on the rooftop. The DX Brigade did it!:rock:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
The song they played if anyone is interested.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Alright fellow timeslippers, there's 2 brand new chapters up!

We're also slowly catching up to the raws now, and from what I've read there's going to be some awesome chapters coming up!

Chapter 25: ABC

Chapter 26: Changes

Chapter 26 You've got heart, kid. And most of the time that's enough. :unsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

*me, scrolling down the page, completely forgetting that I'm reading a Japanese manga*

"d'aww, :3: that is just the cutest giant squid I've ever seen drawn in a mang-"

"Oh. Oh right. :doh: I am super dumb."

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Six more chapters in the last couple days.

Is Itou getting worse? The panty raid seemed excessive even for this manga.

Also, the bastard actually did it! I predict she will reject him for now but come back to him later.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jorenko posted:

Is Itou getting worse? The panty raid seemed excessive even for this manga.

Yeah, I gotta admit that caught me off guard as well. As much as the DX Brigade can be weird, I don't recall them doing anything quite so...scumbag-like until now (which is quite ironic given that they are calling the main character a scumbag). Forcing someone into strip poker to take hidden camera shots of them and doing panty raids is quite different and aggressive from the usual passive 'cursing popular guys under their breath.' I'm hoping that there is a storyline reason for this, such as Itou breaking down as you suggested, rather than this just being another of their usual pranks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Sylvia seems to be destined to have the fate of every rival in every shounen romance: Become lovable and fun, and then tragically heartbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You know, since there hasn't been any time skips on a while a lot of the fun has started to fade. The DX Brigade is turning into douchebags, Aoshima is being kind of pathetic, Wagatsuma is really bland and Sylvia is being wasted on gags.

I miss all the fun of the first chapters.

• Locked thread