Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Ahh of course. My bad. Either way, it didn't work. Again, this is something I never had to even consider before, so not sure why, out of nowhere, I would have to change the user login domain to M2.

Also, again from the XP machine, M2, which I should have mentioned earlier:

http://i40.tinypic.com/t68dqr.jpg

Why does the Username say ADMIN? Shouldn't it say Victor? I think that may have something to do with my problem.

There is no username named ADMIN on either computer, and it hasn't existed in a while. (BTW, does Windows ever use the term "ADMIN", or is it certainly something I created)?

EDIT: Un-did the inline image, don't want to be PB'd or something.

PPills fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
When you say the XP ID is an admin account, you mean you confirmed it's actually listed as a member of the Administrators group on the XP system, right?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a program or a way to make things that would normally minimize on the taskbar to be moved over to the system tray instead?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Is there a program or a way to make things that would normally minimize on the taskbar to be moved over to the system tray instead?

HideIt right click on minimize to put in tray.
RBTray same functionality.
Minimize to tray adds a minimize to tray button to all windows.
Powermenu adds a whole dialog menu with multiple options to the taskbar, including minimize to tray.

e: I haven't tested any of these, but the first one had good reviews everywhere I looked.

Read fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Does anyone use BitLocker? Does it impact everyday usage at all, beyond the obvious requirement for passwords etc? Does it negatively impact any software?

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

Lazlo Nibble posted:

When you say the XP ID is an admin account, you mean you confirmed it's actually listed as a member of the Administrators group on the XP system, right?

Yes, of course.

BTW, I fixed it finally!

All I did was create a new account on my Windows 7 machine (named it "remote"), and attempted to log into the M2 machine. Bam, Accessible admin shares! Okay, so what? But will I be able to access M2 under my Victor account?

I switched back to Victor account, tried the same thing, and what do you know, it worked!

Obviously, as I mentioned earlier, there was some sort of bug with that whole MAIN\"ADMIN" account that didn't exist. And apparently creating a new user account for the benefit of the fresh settings did the trick to getting that account name "un-stuck".

Screenshot of the proper accounts being shown logged in: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wri4b7&s=5

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Read posted:

HideIt right click on minimize to put in tray.
RBTray same functionality.
Minimize to tray adds a minimize to tray button to all windows.
Powermenu adds a whole dialog menu with multiple options to the taskbar, including minimize to tray.

e: I haven't tested any of these, but the first one had good reviews everywhere I looked.

Hey thanks for taking the time, and I tried HideIt and it works well enough.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Hey thanks for taking the time, and I tried HideIt and it works well enough.

No problem :)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Does anyone use BitLocker? Does it impact everyday usage at all, beyond the obvious requirement for passwords etc? Does it negatively impact any software?

Its performance isn't any worse than any other full-disk encryption. You're going to have noticeably worse performance no matter what you do with that regard. However, it's designed for corporations using TPMs and Group Policy, so a lot of its configuration is esoteric compared to programs like TrueCrypt, but once you set it up, it's just "Plug in USB key/smart card/whatever and go".

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
I just built a PC for a friend and I don't know if this would an appropriate place to ask but if anyone has a spare Windows 7 key they no longer need due to upgrading to 8, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and toss you the $75 Nvidia code that came with his graphics card in exchange for it. (It's $25 for each hawken/planetside2/world of tanks).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WayneCampbell posted:

I just built a PC for a friend and I don't know if this would an appropriate place to ask but if anyone has a spare Windows 7 key they no longer need due to upgrading to 8, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and toss you the $75 Nvidia code that came with his graphics card in exchange for it. (It's $25 for each hawken/planetside2/world of tanks).

I think SAMart is the proper forum for that kind of trade, though I'm not 100% sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would imagine everyone here probably had an OEM copy of 7 anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had two, but lost both keys :(. I realized I'd lost one when I wanted to switch my netbook back from Windows 8, and noticed that the second was missing when I looked for it yesterday because I'll need to install on a new SSD since my old one died.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Aphrodite posted:

I would imagine everyone here probably had an OEM copy of 7 anyway.

Yea, that's my situation as well.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WayneCampbell posted:

I'd be more than happy to depending on the edition of 7 you need. revbleech at yahoo dot com.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'd be more than happy to depending on the edition of 7 you need. revbleech at yahoo dot com.

E-mail sent. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So it turns out I'd left my Windows 7 disc in my tower. However, upon installation, I find that it installed the 32-bit version. The sticker on the disc says OEM software. Does that mean I can't install the 64-bit version with this key?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your key is good for either one, but OEM discs don't come in both flavors like retail does so you'll have to get a 64 bit disc or image.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aphrodite posted:

Your key is good for either one, but OEM discs don't come in both flavors like retail does so you'll have to get a 64 bit disc or image.

Ok, thanks. Almost done making the flash drive for the installation.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I. loving. Hate. Windows. 8.

That is all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One more question: Upon startup, I have three options. Two are "Windows 7" (thanks, that's helpful), and the last one is Ubuntu. I'd like to remove the old Windows 7 boot entry and the Ubuntu one. However, I haven't used BCDEDIT before, and I don't want to gently caress things up. Here's what BCDEDIT reports for my current bootmgr:
code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=E:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {d1c2a14f-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
displayorder            {current}
                        {d1c2a149-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
                        {d1c2a14c-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {d1c2a151-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {d1c2a14f-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
nx                      OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {d1c2a149-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {d1c2a14d-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=E:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {d1c2a148-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
nx                      OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {d1c2a14c-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}
path                    \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
description             Ubuntu
I feel pretty confident in deleting the last one, but I'm unsure how to differentiate between the two Windows installs. The one I want should be on C, but since the bootmgr seems to be on E, I don't know if deleting the record for the installation on E would cause any problems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can use msconfig, boot tab. The proper Windows should be tagged current OS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aphrodite posted:

You can use msconfig, boot tab. The proper Windows should be tagged current OS.

That worked great for removing the extra Window installation, but I've still got the Ubuntu one floating around and delaying my startup.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why are there sometimes important windows updates but they come in by default unchecked?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hooah posted:

That worked great for removing the extra Window installation, but I've still got the Ubuntu one floating around and delaying my startup.

Sorry, I thought you meant you already got that one through BCDEdit.

It's just bcdedit /delete {d1c2a14c-e3ef-11dd-ad8d-fc82be4b83b8}

Including the brackets. You can copy and paste from the command prompt, of course.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well that's weird. I thought I'd done that after killing the extra Windows one, and I even got a positive confirmation in the command window, but it was still there the next time I booted up. Now it seems to be gone (at least, it doesn't show up when I run bcdedit). Thanks.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I installed Windows 8 on an old (Dell Inspiron 6400) laptop, and for the last few days it's been doing "maintenance". It used to run pretty fast, but since it started "maintenance" it became very unresponsive and I can't see it doing too much in resmon or Task Manager. Playing old games such as Peggle will make it crawl, and all drivers are updated (2009 drivers for the GeForce Go 7300). It was able to play TF2 at 30fps when it was running Vista, which was the best it ever did. What I'm trying to say is, Peggle shouldn't be a problem.

Should I just go back to XP and be happy with that or should I be able to run Windows 8 on this laptop?

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 28, 2013

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
I've been madly googling this for a while, and haven't found a solution yet.

Is there a way to make audio for say, Chrome to come out of one audio device (speakers) and have audio from another application like a game come out of a different output device (Headphones)?

I see a lot of posts saying that windows 7 cannot natively assign applications an output device as everything uses default. Unless you use a media player like WMP or VLC which allow you to change their specific audio output in their respective program settings.

I just want to play a game while someone else watches a show on the other screen and it's a web only sort of thing. It is pretty frustrating.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

TiCK posted:

I've been madly googling this for a while, and haven't found a solution yet.

Is there a way to make audio for say, Chrome to come out of one audio device (speakers) and have audio from another application like a game come out of a different output device (Headphones)?

I see a lot of posts saying that windows 7 cannot natively assign applications an output device as everything uses default. Unless you use a media player like WMP or VLC which allow you to change their specific audio output in their respective program settings.

I just want to play a game while someone else watches a show on the other screen and it's a web only sort of thing. It is pretty frustrating.

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

This might work, but I never tried it.

Also, I did the most thing imaginable and installed Ubuntu on my laptop. Runs a lot smoother now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Shaocaholica posted:

Why are there sometimes important windows updates but they come in by default unchecked?

I think it may be because they've come in before, but you unchecked them before? That's happened to me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grawl posted:

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

This might work, but I never tried it.
Let me save you some time, TiCK, and say that, no, this isn't going to help.

Separating out the sound of both programs would still require you to have at least one of the programs capable of selecting an audio output device different from the one set to default. And if that were possible, you wouldn't need vac anyway.

Vac is great if you want to pipe the output of one program into another, it doesn't solve any other problems, however often the suggestion for it comes up when this problem pops up on forums.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Almost 2 months later after 8.1, and Adobe STILL has not updated flash for IE11 to fix the video blinking issues. This is getting incredibly irritating. The only reason I use IE11 is because text is a lot more readable and easier on my eyes than it is in Chrome.

Speaking of which, is there anyway to get cleartype or cleartext or whatever it is called to work with Chrome? If I could just get the same smooth text and font that is present in IE11 over to Chrome, I'd be extremely happy.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Excel question. This is probably an easy one for most of you, but I'm terrible with Excel.

I have 3 columns. The first Column has dates in a Month/Day/Year format that starts in cell A2 with 7/12/2013 and goes to... forever (5/29/4884).

The next 3 columns have simple values in them, from 1-10, not all are whole numbers.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to populate a weekly total for each of those columns. I'd like a new one to auto populate for every week, next to that week's set of data. I don't know if this is even possible? A weekly average would also be nice, and is probably easier to do as well.

Of course, I can do these things manually, but I'd rather find a way to not have to.

I Googled around a bit and found a "WEEKNUM" function to try and get the ball rolling, but that returns "28" (=WEEKNUM(A2,2) and I have no idea where that number is even coming from, so I decided I needed to ask for help.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 29, 2013

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Brady posted:

Excel question. This is probably an easy one for most of you, but I'm terrible with Excel.

I have 3 columns. The first Column has dates in a Month/Day/Year format that starts in cell A2 with 7/12/2013 and goes to... forever (5/29/4884).

The next 3 columns have simple values in them, from 1-10, not all are whole numbers.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to populate a weekly total for each of those columns. I'd like a new one to auto populate for every week, next to that week's set of data. I don't know if this is even possible? A weekly average would also be nice, and is probably easier to do as well.

Of course, I can do these things manually, but I'd rather find a way to not have to.

I Googled around a bit and found a "WEEKNUM" function to try and get the ball rolling, but that returns "28" (=WEEKNUM(A2,2) and I have no idea where that number is even coming from, so I decided I needed to ask for help.

Literal autopopulation is outside my skill set. If I get this right, you want a new set of columns that's only populated every seven rows, showing totals and means for those rows. I think you could just go down seven rows, put in the formulas you want, then select an entire week's worth of cells (six rows of empty space and the weekly stuff), copy it, and paste that block from the next week to the end of the spreadsheet.

Then you look at that and wince at all the zeroes and errors, so you change it to wrap the totals in IF(COUNTA(range)!=0,(formula),"") functions to suppress that stuff, and you're off to the races.

You could be wilier and use date functions to detect the start of a new week (if weeknum for the current row's date isn't weeknum for the row above's date) or do subtotals every Tuesday or something like that, but I'm not sure how much you get out of it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Brady posted:

WEEKNUM = Week number. 28 is the week number of 2013/7/12.

Avalanche posted:

Almost 2 months later after 8.1, and Adobe STILL has not updated flash for IE11 to fix the video blinking issues. This is getting incredibly irritating. The only reason I use IE11 is because text is a lot more readable and easier on my eyes than it is in Chrome.

Speaking of which, is there anyway to get cleartype or cleartext or whatever it is called to work with Chrome? If I could just get the same smooth text and font that is present in IE11 over to Chrome, I'd be extremely happy.
There's always the system-wide ClearType in Windows if you can live with it in all applications. IE just has its own smoothing.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

You might have better luck with this in the Small Excel Question Not Worth Its Own Thread forum.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What is the best windows 8 start menu replacement app? I'm using Start8 right now but it's kinda broken when you use multiple monitors. The start button on the 2nd screen doesn't work (it opens the metro start screen, or the Start8 menu but on the wrong monitor).

Are there any others that have better multiple monitor support? I don't mind paying for this as my start8 trial ends soon so unless I can find a better one ill be buying that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know if there is a file renamer that can take the file names of one set of files, and rename a second set of files using the names of the first?

So I would have one set of files:
charts.doc
graphs.doc
documents.doc
titles.doc
values.doc

And a second set:
projections.doc
dates.doc
times.doc
pron.doc
budgets.doc

And I would want the second set of files renamed so they would have the same names as the first set.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer on my own. The program ReNamer lets you import a list of filenames, and then apply them to another set to be renamed.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 29, 2013

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Virigoth posted:

You might have better luck with this in the Small Excel Question Not Worth Its Own Thread forum.

Thank you! My apologies, I thought I sufficiently searched for a thread like that, but apparently not.

Pilsner posted:

WEEKNUM = Week number. 28 is the week number of 2013/7/12.

Oh... Duh. Sorry, I'm dumb. Thank you.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Literal autopopulation is outside my skill set. If I get this right, you want a new set of columns that's only populated every seven rows, showing totals and means for those rows. I think you could just go down seven rows, put in the formulas you want, then select an entire week's worth of cells (six rows of empty space and the weekly stuff), copy it, and paste that block from the next week to the end of the spreadsheet.

Then you look at that and wince at all the zeroes and errors, so you change it to wrap the totals in IF(COUNTA(range)!=0,(formula),"") functions to suppress that stuff, and you're off to the races.

You could be wilier and use date functions to detect the start of a new week (if weeknum for the current row's date isn't weeknum for the row above's date) or do subtotals every Tuesday or something like that, but I'm not sure how much you get out of it.

This was SUPER helpful, I really appreciate it. I had to read it a few times, but I think I have a good idea of what I need to do. If not, I'll pop back up in that Excel thread.

Thanks again everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm having an audio playback problem. I first noticed it with foobar, when any track would stop playing after some time (unique to each track). I tried Windows Media Player, and a shorter track (~3 minutes) played fine, but a longer (>12 minutes) track had the same problem, but WMP spat out an error about an audio device being disconnected. Is this a software problem, or will I have to check all the fiddly little connections to my motherboard?