Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

So the way this promotion works is, if you register both SMTIV and Fire Emblem to your account, you get $30? What if you registered Fire Emblem a few months ago?

It'll still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^ Bingo. It's actually better to describe the promotion as "If you have SMTIV and Fire Emblem registered to your Nintendo account simultaneously, you qualify for the $30 eshop reward".

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Is Shin Megami Tensei 4 really 50 dollars everywhere? It seems kind of expensive for a 3DS game...

Expensive for a 3DS game, but it's as deep an experience you'd find in a 460 console game. With the promotional credit I thought it was a no brainer. I had been jonzing for a RPG and I haven't really played through one since either FFIX or Skies of Arcadia it's really scratching that itch for me.

I've all but abandoned mt Animal Crossing town for it and I think that if I get a chance to dig into it tonight it'll become my most played 3DS game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tomato Soup posted:

Oh, I meant what they could do while wiping their personal data from it to keep the game on there because they might not know how to do it properly so it'd be nice to tell them how to do it :)

Tell them to not go into the eshop and delete the account history in account settings. Its something that will most likely never happen on accident, so dont worry too much.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Really, if you like RPGs, already own fire emblem, and have a game on the eshop you also want or there is going to be one toy want, you might as well get smt4 because at that point it is essentially $20 and you will probably get at least $20 worth of enjoyment out of it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

How long after getting SMTIV off the eshop until the $30 credit code is emailed? For the record, I got Fire Emblem back when it came out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ZeeBoi posted:

How long after getting SMTIV off the eshop until the $30 credit code is emailed? For the record, I got Fire Emblem back when it came out.

You should get your code instantly.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah, just logged into the club nintendo site and saw what I had to do to claim it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Alright, just about ready to start playing SMT4. Is there anything I should keep in mind before I play besides how anally wrecked I'm about to get over the difficulty?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Status effects and weakness/resistance is WAY more important in it than most other JRPGs

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

pandaK posted:

Alright, just about ready to start playing SMT4. Is there anything I should keep in mind before I play besides how anally wrecked I'm about to get over the difficulty?

Don't expect to make any progress in the game by using standard JRPG combat conventions (i.e. don't expect to just mash "Attack" over and over again from one cutscene to the next).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've already play Atlus games and know about their blistering difficulties. I was more asking if there was anything special about SMT4's beginning that I should watch out for so that I don't miss out on anything?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

pandaK posted:

Don't be afraid to use your MP and buy the MP regeneration ability ASAP.

Edit: also, don't even think about fighting until you can scrounge up a full team of 3 demons.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

pandaK posted:

I've already play Atlus games and know about their blistering difficulties. I was more asking if there was anything special about SMT4's beginning that I should watch out for so that I don't miss out on anything?

You may die (a lot) during what is essentially a tutorial quest that involves you trying to recruit three demons into your party. Kill everything but the one you want to recruit before you actually try to recruit it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pandaK posted:

Demons are not Pokemon.

You want to recruit as many as possible but you do not want to keep them for very long unless they are extremely good. Higher-level demons have better skills, better resistances, and better general stats.

On a related note:

Levels are a lot less important in SMTIV than in previous games. Even if you encounter a level 75 demon at level 20, you can probably beat it with a good team of demons. There is literally no point in the game where you need to grind. If you feel like you're outclassed, advance the story. You'll gain levels faster advancing the story than grinding any one given area.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mercury Crusader posted:

Don't expect to make any progress in the game by using standard JRPG combat conventions (i.e. don't expect to just mash "Attack" over and over again from one cutscene to the next).

It took me about 4 times out of the gate in Strange Journey before I was actually able to put together a party that didn't get immediately wiped. That's basically what I'm expecting when I finally get my hands on my copy of SMTIV.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't be afraid to use your MP and buy the MP regeneration ability ASAP.

I've never been starving for MP enough to warrant needing a regeneration ability for it so far. Just heal when you need it and don't spam high cost spells on low MP pool demons. You're better off spending your App Points on more useful and interesting upgrades.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You'll gain levels faster advancing the story than grinding any one given area.

Unless it's the $1.99 DLC grinding area, where you can potentially gain a level every two battles (one to pick up a Heavy Grimoire, another to level up after using it).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

So I'm at my first demon scouting screen. I heard there's a way you can game the system so that you always get off with the least amount of resources expended. How exactly does it go?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pandaK posted:

So I'm at my first demon scouting screen. I heard there's a way you can game the system so that you always get off with the least amount of resources expended. How exactly does it go?

I have good success with cheat, refuse, end negotiation in that order. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot though. Tonight I had one ask a question with 2 choices. I got it wrong once and he attacked, talked a second time he asks the same question so I picked the other option and he attacked again.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Awesome! posted:

I have good success with cheat, refuse, end negotiation in that order. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot though.

All the tutorial monsters that I try to cheat kill me, although I guess they're just different at this point. I'll keep that in mind later on.

Anyways, I know I'm asking a lot of questions that should probably be asked in the SMT thread, this'll be the last one here: if I'm planning on building a magic user, would Luck and Agility be important in SMT4? Or should I just pump everything into Magic? Or would I still want to put some points into Strength regardless? Do I eventually get a preemptive attack that's based off of my Magic stat, and is HP gain based off of a stat or is that just static?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

pandaK posted:

All the tutorial monsters that I try to cheat kill me, although I guess they're just different at this point. I'll keep that in mind later on.

Anyways, I know I'm asking a lot of questions that should probably be asked in the SMT thread, this'll be the last one here: if I'm planning on building a magic user, would Luck and Agility be important in SMT4? Or should I just pump everything into Magic?

Agility is extremely important (it effects evasion and not getting hit is better than getting hit), and it's probably worth putting the occasional point into Luck.

e: I believe HP gain is static, but your equipment is where you're gonna get most of your HP from. Leg pieces in particular will give you a big boost.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pandaK posted:

There's no 100% way to game the system. A good rule of thumb however is:

Cheat is likely (but not assured) to work once.
Refuse it likely (but not assured) to work once.
Anything after that is a risk, so try to save those for legitimately pricey requests and not Life Stones or trivial amounts of HP/Macca/whatever.

Once you see End Conversation as an option, you should generally either pick it or submit to one more request and then pick it. Never allow conversations to go on too long.

Never give a demon any rare item. If you can't easily replace it, always refuse/cheat/whatever. A demon isn't worth more than the item.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
poo poo, I accidentally bought the wrong game on the Estore by mistake because I was tired as hell. What's the refund policy? I've been googling without finding anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure there aren't any refunds allowed on the eShop. Sorry, I think you're out of luck.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=39889

Black 3DSXL. August 11th

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

UPGRADE TIME!!! Finally an XL that'll match the CPPXL the way my current mystem matches the CPP.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just realized that by the end of the year it will be possible to have 9 Zelda games downloaded to your 3DS. That's incredibly awesome...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wait a minute, I just realized that I never got a chance to register Fire Emblem: Awakening on Club Nintendo. I bought it off the eShop the day it released but never got a survey for it. Is there anything I can do to fix this and get my $30?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

pandaK posted:

Wait a minute, I just realized that I never got a chance to register Fire Emblem: Awakening on Club Nintendo. I bought it off the eShop the day it released but never got a survey for it. Is there anything I can do to fix this and get my $30?

I'd contact Nintendo if you never got the survey at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As long as your 3DS was attached to your club nintendo account when you purchased it, it should be eligible. If you weren't linked at the time you'll have to send in an email though.

I didn't do the survey and I still got my 30bux and I also bought it day one on the eshop.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ibram Gaunt posted:

As long as your 3DS was attached to your club nintendo account when you purchased it, it should be eligible. If you weren't linked at the time you'll have to send in an email though.

I didn't do the survey and I still got my 30bux and I also bought it day one on the eshop.

I guess that's it. I registered the 3DS on March 2. Where should I forward my email to get some help with this?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pandaK posted:

I guess that's it. I registered the 3DS on March 2. Where should I forward my email to get some help with this?
Checked my email from when I had a similar issue, and the response I got was from csadmin@noa.nintendo.com. I think you're supposed to submit your email through a form on the club nintendo site though.

My issue was similar to yours and was resolved very nicely. I had registered Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii but never gotten a survey. After communication with the Customer Service they made a survey pop up on my account so I could get the coins.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

Minidust posted:

Checked my email from when I had a similar issue, and the response I got was from csadmin@noa.nintendo.com. I think you're supposed to submit your email through a form on the club nintendo site though.

My issue was similar to yours and was resolved very nicely. I had registered Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii but never gotten a survey. After communication with the Customer Service they made a survey pop up on my account so I could get the coins.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but I've sent three emails over the past month through the support form on the club nintendo site about this same issue with no response. It might be better to just call them, I know I'm going to end up doing that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I missed out on the NewEgg Google Wallet deal but at that point I'd already convinced myself to get SMTIV so $20 still isn't a bad price I guess.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It IS expensive. I was someone kvetching about the price in the SMT4 thread. The only someone, apparently. If you want to get it cheaper, Newegg is having a promotion where, if you purchase at least $50 and pay using Google Wallet, they'll give you $15 off your order.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the offer expired just recently though.

I decided to just get it on amazon. I guess a "20" dollar game isn't too bad.

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

Astro7x posted:

I just realized that by the end of the year it will be possible to have 9 Zelda games downloaded to your 3DS. That's incredibly awesome...

1, 2, Awakening, Ages, Seasons, and OoT are on there now. LttP2 is coming in a few months. What are the other two?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Saint Isz posted:

1, 2, Awakening, Ages, Seasons, and OoT are on there now. LttP2 is coming in a few months. What are the other two?

Four Swords was released last year for a limited time, and Minish Cap is an Ambassador title.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Saint Isz posted:

Minish Cap and 4 Swords. You're not able to get those now though.

E:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm catching up on my DS library, am I missing anything critical from the list below?

quote:

NSMB
Mario Kart DS (best in the series)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Tetris DS
Planet Puzzle League
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Professor Layton & the Curiius Village
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Megaman Zero Collection
Disgaea
Etrian Odyssey III - The Drowned City
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2
Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer
Puzzle Quest
Radiant Historia
Rune Factory 2
Shin Megani Tensei - Strange Journey
Trauma Center Under the Knife 2
The World Ends With You

I obviously enjoy puzzlers and deep rpgs, but I'm open to anything!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 30, 2013

• Locked thread