Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am not sure if it has been covered here or not, but are there any good android apps which let you download trail maps and give you approximate GPS guidance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

I had my mountain hardwear rain shell for the better part of about 5 years and I replaced it when I realized I was having to reapply waterproofing every other time it got wet.

Just FYI, you need to wash, proof then tumble dry gore stuff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

evil_bunnY posted:

Just FYI, you need to wash, proof then tumble dry gore stuff.

It wasn't goretex, just a laminated shell but thats my normal proofing routine. It used to work great for a long time, but now it just seems to wear out quicker and soak through more often not to mention the internal membrane started to peel. I replaced it with an REI Kitmah so we will see how that goes. So far so good, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Arcteryx shell when it hit $299 at REI.

VVV - Thanks man I will have to look at that, I never really heard anything about MH's warranty/return policy and figured after 5 years of pretty decent use that it had been more than worth the $120 I paid for it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 25, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Verman posted:

It wasn't goretex, just a laminated shell but thats my normal proofing routine. It used to work great for a long time, but now it just seems to wear out quicker and soak through more often not to mention the internal membrane started to peel. I replaced it with an REI Kitmah so we will see how that goes. So far so good, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Arcteryx shell when it hit $299 at REI.

pretty sure Mtn. Hardwear has a similar policy to the other big boy outdoors brands where they'll repair/replace your jacket no questions asked when it comes to seal issues.

I know Patagonia and Arc'Teryx are stellar at that. A friend just had his Arc'Teryx hardshell replaced with a brand new model for free and his was about 6 years old.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Verman posted:

Is there anything wrong with your current jacket that would warrant upgrading for any reasons other than wanting new gear? Price has nothing to do with performance, so if your jacket keeps you dry and warm when it has to then it doesnt NEED replacing. If its starting to soak through rather than repel, try waterproofing it to see if that helps. I had my mountain hardwear rain shell for the better part of about 5 years and I replaced it when I realized I was having to reapply waterproofing every other time it got wet.

As for GPS cameras, its the sort of thing that if you are already looking at buying a camera and you find yourself constantly taking photos outdoors and putting them to a map then it would be convenient but as far as going out of your way to buy a new camera just for the GPS feature that you might not use, that just seems like burning money on unnecessary stuff.

If you are carrying a gps, just take notes of the coordinates when you take certain photos. If you look at a map after you return, you can probably retrace your route fairly easily and mark your photos pretty quickly.

Yeah, points well taken. I won't upgrade for its own sake, but I'm just not sure how well an REI jacket that I purchased for casual wear is going to hold up if I really need it in the backcountry. :ohdear: I guess I'll take it on a couple more short outings and try to decide. Still not sure about the camera either; my current one is kind of crap and even a $150 ruggedized model would be a major upgrade. I'm not interested in wasting money, but I do want to have good records of this trip a few years down the road. Hm.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I went on the 19 mile Pitamakan-Dawson Loop trail yesterday, climbing McClintock Peak & Mt Morgan, got a little Class IV+ on Morgan so that was cool. I could have climbed Flinsch Peak as well, it was on the way and looks super easy and would only have added about another hour to the trip, but I'll save it for another day. Pumpelly Pillar looks amazing, Class V all the way. Tinkham, Helen, Phillips, etc. wow.

Red is the route, took the photo early in the day at the black dot. To the West is a bit of the Nyack Loop, one of the few true wilderness areas in the park, meaning you can camp anywhere (with an undesignated permit). I'm sure there are no mosquitoes.

Not sure what I'll do Sunday, consulting my map.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Going to go off the Highline Trail to climb up Mt Gould early Sunday. I picked up an ice axe of my own &, if I have time on the way out, I'll practice some self arrests on the approach to Oberlin. Tomorrow I'll head to Rocky Mountain Outfitter to check out their crampon selection. Good weekend.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cool poo poo.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Hiking thread! We might be going to the Seattle area next year and are wondering what the best options are for a backpacking trip (~3 or 4 days in length maybe. We might decide to do a bunch of littler ones to see more landscape, since we don't head down there often). We like mountains, but we are spoiled by the northern Rockies. We are also Canadian so any tips about your parks/camping systems and permits might be helpful.

We've mostly been looking at stuff around Rainier and Mt St Helens, mostly because we don't know anything else. Which trails do you recommend we look into?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
When are you going to be there?

Never mind. The right answer is the Enchantments.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Bud Manstrong posted:

When are you going to be there?

Never mind. The right answer is the Enchantments.

Whenever we have to be :colbert:

Probably late July-ish though. We have a year to work out vacation times and whatever so it can flex.

[edit]Ooh Enchantments looks good

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I flunked out of the JMT 60 miles in on day 5, at Red's Meadow, cuz of foot pain - my old shoes had had it, they were not up to visiting Whitney a 2nd time with me:

I do own sturdier backpacking boots, Montrail full leather ones, but made the mistake of thinking lighter on my feet would be better than less support.

Got new hikers today, Vasque !

Going to break them in tomorrow then I'll probably resume wearing my Merrell moab lows all summer cuz its too dang hot.

Hoping to attempt again next year, might go solo or I'll find a group of like minders online hopefully. And I'll get a lighter sleeping bag and maybe a ULA pack.
Regardless I still took a shitload of pics from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes, here's a link to them in my log:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382743&pagenumber=87#post417818243

Hiked in Ice Box Canyon at Red Rock this week in Vegas. Hot!!!!

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 27, 2013

Bo_Bashy
Jul 11, 2011
Everyone's posting pictures so I figured I would put some up from my trip to the Guadalupe Mountains in West Texas last summer. Living in Houston, there's only a few parks that you can drive to in less than 16 hours and the guads are home to the highest point in the state.

This is on top of Hunter Peak looking out over the desert

The peak on the left across the canyon is Guadalupe Peak at 8750ft.

The monument on the peak

We're going backpacking in Olympic in a couple weeks so i should have some pretty bitchin' pictures from there coming up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not for hiking, but would anyone know of some thin, zero-support flip-flops? Like you can feel every rock under you, thin.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.
I've been lurking a long time in this thread and I'm happy to finally say that I got my hike on and have some pictures to post too!

Me, my boyfriend, and his dog Bruce completed the 5.3 mile Tuxedo Loop in Harriman State Park, New York. I had literally no experience hiking in elevation except being an avowed New York City walker; I'd hiked years ago back home in Mississippi, through what was basically a swamp. Even though the hike was challenging with both scrambles and the fun-kind-of-getting-lost pathfinding, and a couple days later I'm sore & slow, I don't regret it!
I wanted to get outside to challenge myself.

Additionally, since we had so much time till sunset and the next train coming, we added a few mile detour hike to Lake Sebago:

What I think I loved the most was coming across only four people during our hike; that and being able to take the train for naps on the way there and back:

Now that we know where the Dutch Doctor shelter is, next time I look forward to camping and checking out some new trails. My problem is I had so much fun that I don't know if I want my next hike to be there again or some new place like Breakneck Ridge.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not for hiking, but would anyone know of some thin, zero-support flip-flops? Like you can feel every rock under you, thin.

Head down to Old Navy and pick up a pair of their flip flops, they're like 4 bucks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Very few things warm my heart more than a well-worn, well-loved pair of hiking boots.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Tagra posted:

Hiking thread! We might be going to the Seattle area next year and are wondering what the best options are for a backpacking trip (~3 or 4 days in length maybe. We might decide to do a bunch of littler ones to see more landscape, since we don't head down there often). We like mountains, but we are spoiled by the northern Rockies. We are also Canadian so any tips about your parks/camping systems and permits might be helpful.

We've mostly been looking at stuff around Rainier and Mt St Helens, mostly because we don't know anything else. Which trails do you recommend we look into?
The classic hikes are: the Enchantments (if you can get permits, there's a lottery system each year--read up on how to get them), Wonderland Trail (it's 93 miles, so do part of it), or the Hoh River/High Divide/Bogachiel trails in the rain forest are all awesome and worth the trip.

If you're up for high-mileage days, the PCT from highway 2 to I-90 can be done in 4 days. Otherwise, there are a lot of great hikes around the peninsula (Skyline, Enchanted Valley, Shi Shi, or Point of the Arches come to mind).

Here was my trip this weekend through the Lost Creek Wilderness in Colorado:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PRADA SLUT posted:

A friend of mine has a pair of these and loves them: http://xeroshoes.com/

Seems a bit pricey for ultra thin bits of rubber but he likes them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it waste of money for me to look into $100 technical fleece jackets as an city dweller sitting around in cold weather? As far as I can tell, the Patagonia R4 is my warmest option: windproof, 13.5 oz fleece, and mesh lining to reduce static electricity buildup.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 29, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it waste of money for me to look into $100 technical fleece jackets as an city dweller sitting around in cold weather? As far as I can tell, the Patagonia R4 is my warmest option: windproof, 13.5 oz fleece, and mesh lining to reduce static electricity buildup.

do you get cold? if the answer is yes then why would it be a waste to look into technical fleece's? you still get the same benefits of having a thin/lightweight fleece in the city that you'd get in the wilderness... only difference is maybe you don't need it to be as packable/techy as it would be. I dunno, maybe I'm biased because I live in the PacNW, where a fleece is a suitable alternative to a dinner jacket, but I think a good fleece like an R4 is going to be one of the most versatile pieces of outerwear in your closet.

full disclosure I don't currently own a fleece, I use my softshell or my down-sweater for what I would use a fleece for

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

It was 80 in colorado today, but minus 2209 degrees in the office, and I rocked my bright orange Patagucci nano puff like I was on everest...so I vote not its not a waste.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a great idea, but the R4 is a pretty hideous jacket. I'm seeing it listed from 145ish on-sale (279 MSRP), in that range you can start to find Arcteryx, Icebreaker, Kuhl, Patagonia, and Mammut jackets on-sale/clearance that will perform as well or better and look much nicer.

https://www.bentgate.com/mens-fleece-jackets

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speleothing posted:

It's a great idea, but the R4 is a pretty hideous jacket. I'm seeing it listed from 145ish on-sale (279 MSRP), in that range you can start to find Arcteryx, Icebreaker, Kuhl, Patagonia, and Mammut jackets on-sale/clearance that will perform as well or better and look much nicer.

https://www.bentgate.com/mens-fleece-jackets
The R4 looks normal to me :confused: though the best I could find in a large was $150, and that's with a 10% coupon.

I can get the Retro-X on clearance for $100 but it's only 7.5oz Synchilla compared to the R4's 13oz Polartec Windbloc, and there's no drawcord on the hem. :wtc:

Ropes4u posted:

It was 80 in colorado today, but minus 2209 degrees in the office, and I rocked my bright orange Patagucci nano puff like I was on everest...so I vote not its not a waste.
It gets crazy cold in my office too. I stopped by the Patagonia store today to try on the R3, Nano Puff, and Down Sweater. The guy said the R3 would be warmer than the Nano Puff, and the Down would be even warmer than an R4.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 30, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That type of silly fabric is always ugly - look at how shiny it is, and remember that all those individual fibers that stick out will catch dirt. I remember the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jackets from a few years ago - they were warm as poo poo but the looked tacky as hell.

Compare it to the Covert Cardigan or Skandl Full Zip. They have a knit fleece that has a much more traditional sweater appearance. Or the Aconcagua Jacket or Reactor Jacket, which have a simpler flat fleece.

Edit: if you've been to the store & know what you're getting, then it's your choice. I think it's made from an ugly fabric and has a very boxy-looking cut.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 30, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speleothing posted:

That type of silly fabric is always ugly - look at how shiny it is, and remember that all those individual fibers that stick out will catch dirt. I remember the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jackets from a few years ago - they were warm as poo poo but the looked tacky as hell.

Compare it to the Covert Cardigan or Skandl Full Zip. They have a knit fleece that has a much more traditional sweater appearance. Or the Aconcagua Jacket or Reactor Jacket, which have a simpler flat fleece.

Edit: if you've been to the store & know what you're getting, then it's your choice. I think it's made from an ugly fabric and has a very boxy-looking cut.
I didn't get to see the R4, but it's interesting you mention the Monkey Man since I think I had that same thought when I first saw it. Also, I haven't owned an actual fleece jacket in nearly a decade, in large part because of the dirt issue, so thanks for reminding me.

According to the REI website, even a heavyweight fleece can't compete with synthetic fill, to say nothing of down. This seems promising, 120g Primaloft Synergy (which I realize isn't as warm as Primaloft One): http://www.6pm.com/quiksilver-nomad-jacket-black

edit: Annnd we're ordered.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 30, 2013

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
This is probably the best time to visit Mt. Rainier. The snow is mostly gone from the trails and the wildflowers are at their peak. That's why I decided to hike the Wonderland Trail to Summerland and Panhandle Gap on Sunday.

Summerland:

Panhandle Gap:

Above the vegetation zone:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alright, I promise this will be my (second to last) post. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Just how warm is this going to be if I'm just mulling around? It's 700 fill down + Omni-Heat reflective, and it's $80 on The Clymb: http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Modern-Logger%E2%84%A2-Bomber-Jacket/WM4098,default,pd.html I'd just order it to test it out in person but I can only return for credit.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Tagra posted:

Whenever we have to be :colbert:

Probably late July-ish though. We have a year to work out vacation times and whatever so it can flex.

[edit]Ooh Enchantments looks good

In the Olympics: Hoh River to Glacier Meadows (this won't take 3-4 days, but if you want to hang out around Blue Glacier and check out Olympus, you can burn a couple days there), Lacrosse Basin to ... wherever, since you can go pretty much anywhere from there. Lots of traverses. The Brothers, Mount Constance, Mt. Deception, Royal Basin, Mount Mystery, Pershing, Cruiser, The Needles, Warrior Peak, and so on heh.

Cascade side I'm less familiar with as those are the serious mountains. Probably better backpacking over there, I use the Olympics for dayhiking and the occasional serious climb.

I'd recommend picking up the Olympic Mountains Trail Guide (Robert Wood) and also visiting https://www.wta.org (Washington Trails Association) and https://www.nwhikers.net

For St. Helens if you're just going to the rim, that's a day hike and, in my opinion, best done as a snowshoe. After some point in May through I think September you have to get a permit to go to the crater rim.

For Rainier you can hike up to Muir and check out base camp, and I'm sure there are tons of backpacking loops around it. For a serious summit attempt unless you're going with someone who has climbed it previously and recently, I'd highly suggest a guiding agency or getting a really good look at it up close. It is the most prominent and most glaciated mountain in the lower 48.

My weekend was pretty ok, just staying in shape for Mt. Olympus. So I found a good viewpoint, since I'll be making an attempt in a couple weeks.

It's the one in the clouds.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Am in the middle of something resembling an AT thru hike, been having the time of my life. I'm home on a break now but will be leaving to jump back on Wednesday. Last time I dropped in someone asked for pictures, so here's some highlights from the first 200 miles http://imgur.com/a/oP97s

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Elijya posted:

Am in the middle of something resembling an AT thru hike, been having the time of my life. I'm home on a break now but will be leaving to jump back on Wednesday. Last time I dropped in someone asked for pictures, so here's some highlights from the first 200 miles http://imgur.com/a/oP97s

Nice photos! Keep it up :)

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

omgmofohomolol posted:

Me, my boyfriend, and his dog Bruce completed the 5.3 mile Tuxedo Loop in Harriman State Park, New York. I had literally no experience hiking in elevation except being an avowed New York City walker; I'd hiked years ago back home in Mississippi, through what was basically a swamp. Even though the hike was challenging with both scrambles and the fun-kind-of-getting-lost pathfinding, and a couple days later I'm sore & slow, I don't regret it!

Which trails are involved in this loop? I haven't been on any part of the Tuxedo-Mt. Ivy trail, or really done much of anything in the west part of Harriman. It looks like a great time for a first hike around here!

Breakneck Ridge (if you mean the one on the east side of the Hudson, with the special train station right there) was a blast last November, though I hear it gets serious crowds in summer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

It wasn't goretex, just a laminated shell but thats my normal proofing routine. It used to work great for a long time, but now it just seems to wear out quicker and soak through more often not to mention the internal membrane started to peel.
This is why I switched to gore. Same thing happened to a cheaper jacket of mine years ago.

MMD3 posted:

I know Patagonia and Arc'Teryx are stellar at that. A friend just had his Arc'Teryx hardshell replaced with a brand new model for free and his was about 6 years old.
This is a consequence of them using goretex. If the stuff leaks, they'll replace it period. It's also why you can't just buy goretex laminate and do whatever you want. Gore has to approve the design.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, points well taken. I won't upgrade for its own sake, but I'm just not sure how well an REI jacket that I purchased for casual wear is going to hold up if I really need it in the backcountry. :ohdear: I guess I'll take it on a couple more short outings and try to decide.
If the shell is waterproof after you treat it and the insulator works just keep using it until it fails. Money buys quality of life more than performance these days.

Josh Lyman posted:

That's merino money.

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright, I promise this will be my (second to last) post. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Just how warm is this going to be if I'm just mulling around? It's 700 fill down + Omni-Heat reflective, and it's $80 on The Clymb: http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Modern-Logger%E2%84%A2-Bomber-Jacket/WM4098,default,pd.html I'd just order it to test it out in person but I can only return for credit.
How much does that even weight?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 31, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

That's merino money.
Yeah, I realized I would have to up my budget to cover my performance expectations.

quote:

How much does that even weight?
According to Sierra Trading Post, 3lb 4oz which... seems really high to me?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Canvas (waxed especially) will do that. I'd get either a merino layer (like a hoodie) or some form of hardfleece outer (wind kinda destroys conventional fleece).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Puffy jackets will always be much warmer than fleeces, that's just how insulation works: by trapping air. The trick is that they don't really fit under a waterproof layer very well, and will often be very silly looking or have a super boxy cut. Wind resistance varies a lot depending on face fabric (ultralights are often somewhat lacking), but will usually be better than a fleece (excepting hardfleece). That Columbia jacket is incredibly heavy for down, but that's not really technical. I do really like the way it looks, however.

http://www.bentgate.com/mens-down-jackets/browse/orderby/price-low-to-high
http://www.bentgate.com/mens-synthetic-jackets/browse/orderby/price-low-to-high

Of the ones listed in those links, I would think that the Tuner (15 oz) or Aphix (1 lb 0.1 oz) would probably be the most unobtrusive-looking in the city.

EDIT: A lot of technical companies are making city-specific lines nowadays. Also, are you looking for an outer layer jacket or a sweater? What city are you in? And how much insulation do you really want? For reference: I used a crappy store-brand (falls creek) softshell for years in Detroit and never found it insufficient.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 31, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
in my experience almost all columbia stuff is cut really boxy. particularly their hunting/fishing/camping gear it seems.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yay for athletic fits with gussets everywhere.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My new EE RevelationX 10 degree quilt just shipped :dance:

This is really the first good sleeping "bag" I've owned. I've always had to borrow them until now so that's kind of exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Levitate posted:

My new EE RevelationX 10 degree quilt just shipped :dance:

This is really the first good sleeping "bag" I've owned. I've always had to borrow them until now so that's kind of exciting

If you wind up a fan of quilts, you're going to love that one!

What colors did you go with?