Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

A Serious Man was really good.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They tried making a dibbuk movie twice and neither did well enough, apparently.

To be fair, that's probably because the Unborn was an awful loving movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I honestly thought you were talking about A Serious Man because lord know I can't think of any other movies I've seen that feature dybbuks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

axleblaze posted:

I honestly thought you were talking about A Serious Man because lord know I can't think of any other movies I've seen that feature dybbuks.

There was The Unborn I guess and that one that starred that guy who looks like Javier Bardem but isn't.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

axleblaze posted:

The general idea of thinking that because a movie that's in a genre you don't like is being made that a movie you would like isn't being made is a fool's game of what ifs that can never be proven of disproven.

This is something that actually exists in horror. When talking about a subgenre of a subgenre (and talking about studio releases and not independent films), there are trends and reports that can be more easily proven.

The same can't really be tracked when it come to the wider genres, but there are lots of documented cases of studio requests/turn-down/requirements when it comes to types of films WITHIN wider genres.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
In a year that's had Texas Chainsaw, The Purge, Carrie, Evil Dead, insidious 3, World War Z, insidious 2, The Conjuring, VHS 2, The Frankenstein Theory, last Exorcism 2 and You're Next, I would say we've had a pretty good variety of major horror releases.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

In a year that's had Texas Chainsaw, The Purge, Carrie, Evil Dead, insidious 3, World War Z, insidious 2, The Conjuring, VHS 2, The Frankenstein Theory, last Exorcism 2 and You're Next, I would say we've had a pretty good variety of major horror releases.

Has You're Next actually come out yet? I know very little about it plot-wise but I've heard enough hype to make me really wanna see it (plus I dig the V/H/S movies).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Not all of those movies have come out yet, but they will be in the next few months. I think You're Next is August, Insidious 2 is September and Carrie is October.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Granted Carrie is a remake but I saw a preview of it at the beginning of the Conjuring I think that honestly showed a little clip from pretty much every scene of importance in the movie. I really hate previews in general for giving away all the good points of movies but this was one of the worst I've seen in recent memory.

E: Pretty sure it's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoVioPv0fs

Maybe I'm exaggerating but it really does seem to give away a lot.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 29, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

The Unborn and that recent one. The Possession? No wonder I forgot the name of it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

JP Money posted:

Granted Carrie is a remake but I saw a preview of it at the beginning of the Conjuring I think that honestly showed a little clip from pretty much every scene of importance in the movie. I really hate previews in general for giving away all the good points of movies but this was one of the worst I've seen in recent memory.

Yeah, that preview was terrible (I also saw it during "The Conjuring"). I don't know how I feel about a remake when the original was pretty awesome (didn't see the made-for-TV version, sequel "The Rage" was okay), but Christ, that preview gave away just about every pivotal scene.

The only thing the movie might have going for it is the "modern" angle, with the smart phones and everything posted to the Internet showcasing the cruelty of the high school girls. (I don't know if the latter will happen, but I believe one of the girls had a smartphone with her during the shower scene in the preview.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That list includes four sequels, three remakes, two home invasion movies and a big budget zombie flick that isn't really horror at all. That doesn't say much for the state of horror movies.

You forgot A Field In England, by the way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

That list includes four sequels, three remakes, two home invasion movies and a big budget zombie flick that isn't really horror at all. That doesn't say much for the state of horror movies.

You forgot A Field In England, by the way.

What does say much for the state of horror movies? That's been the state of horror movies literally since they began.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JP Money posted:

Hahaha, what the hell? You can piece together the plot of the entire film from beginning to end from just this trailer.

Guess that means I don't have to watch it, then! v:v:v

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I also forgot Dark Skies, which features aliens, and Lords of Salem, which features witches. The state of horror is more diverse than it gets credited for.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Carrie trailer is weird because it literally seems to be saying "Hey, you remember that great movie, well we did the exact same thing again!" Like I'm not against remakes at all but it's because of the potential to do knew things with the material. The Carrie trailer seems to be saying as loud as it can "we did nothing new to the degree that we are positive you already know everything that happens in this movie".

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

axleblaze posted:

The Carrie trailer is weird because it literally seems to be saying "Hey, you remember that great movie, well we did the exact same thing again!" Like I'm not against remakes at all but it's because of the potential to do knew things with the material. The Carrie trailer seems to be saying as loud as it can "we did nothing new to the degree that we are positive you already know everything that happens in this movie".

See this is why it really bothered me. It's so close to the old movie that you're just being reminded of all the scenes you would have remembered from the old movie except you're seeing them "remastered" with a cell phone and the year on the signs changed.

Maybe they'll fast forward through all that poo poo and then go way further past the dance scene / town wrecking with it. Actually who am I kidding they're definitely going to stop there and it'll be poo poo.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

JordanKai posted:

Hahaha, what the hell? You can piece together the plot of the entire film from beginning to end from just this trailer.

Didn't the trailer for the 76 version do the same thing?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

JordanKai posted:

The original movie came out nearly 30 years ago. Are we still concerned with spoilers?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Slasherfan posted:

Didn't the trailer for the 76 version do the same thing?

Pretty much every trailer I can think of from that time period did that.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Has You're Next actually come out yet? I know very little about it plot-wise but I've heard enough hype to make me really wanna see it (plus I dig the V/H/S movies).

Had a chance to catch a Horrible Way To Die yet? It's Adam Wingard (director of You're Next and one of the creative heavies in the VHS films) first major film. Great score and a sense of dread a mile long. Good stuff.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

JP Money posted:

See this is why it really bothered me. It's so close to the old movie that you're just being reminded of all the scenes you would have remembered from the old movie except you're seeing them "remastered" with a cell phone and the year on the signs changed.

Maybe they'll fast forward through all that poo poo and then go way further past the dance scene / town wrecking with it. Actually who am I kidding they're definitely going to stop there and it'll be poo poo.
I thought that was the idea, everyone knows Carrie so they're not trying to pass it off as anything new, it's just "here's who's going to be in this remake of it". Which could go either way, but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Julianne Moore looks like a great choice for the mom.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Glamorama26 posted:

Had a chance to catch a Horrible Way To Die yet? It's Adam Wingard (director of You're Next and one of the creative heavies in the VHS films) first major film. Great score and a sense of dread a mile long. Good stuff.

I couldn't stand A Horrible Way To Die mainly because the camera shook around for the entire movie. I want to look forwards to You're Next but I'm dreading having to sit through another movie where the camera won't stop shaking.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 21, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

leokitty posted:

Pretty much every trailer I can think of from that time period did that.

Yeah, and they're all at least twice as long as the average trailer nowadays, which is like 90 seconds tops usually? You watch some old trailers and you're reminded of why they only used to show two or three, some of them are like three minutes long and leave little to the imagination.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
I'm maybe a little late to the possession genre conversation, but I honestly think the implied existence of Heaven and God has the potential to make something even more terrifying.

There's no guarantee that the characters are getting to Heaven just because it exists, right? Like, in Drag Me to Hell there's this looming threat of, well, being dragged to Hell. Also, you can't just kill yourself, because that's a mortal sin or whatever, and what if you're possessed, do you get to go to Heaven if you die while you're possessed? Maybe one character will probably make it but if their family member is possessed and is going to spend all eternity being tortured in indescribable ways, that's pretty loving terrifying too. Sure, Heaven is a thing, but if you and all your loved ones aren't going there, or if there's at least that possibility, I think that's honestly more terrifying than just blinking out of existence. Knowing you were so close to something perfect and beautiful, but then having that thing ripped away from you, is worse than never having had a shot at it to begin with.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Ti West's "The Roost" is on YouTube in its entirety. I haven't watched it yet, but I figured some of you guys would be interested if you haven't checked it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpHzAEcK3WY

Smapti
Jun 15, 2013

Parachute posted:

Ti West's "The Roost" is on YouTube in its entirety. I haven't watched it yet, but I figured some of you guys would be interested if you haven't checked it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpHzAEcK3WY

Cool! I like The Roost a lot. Compared to Ti West's more recent movies it's positively maximalist. I also may be the only person who likes Trigger Man, though, so my opinions on Ti West may be skewed. He's been off recently - I thought his segment in V/H/S was by far the weakest in either of the V/H/S movies and I hated his segment in ABCs of Death - so fingers crossed for his next movie.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Just finished Twixt. What a weird little movie. I guess you can't call it a horror movie, but the dream sequences were nice and moody in a classic horror way.

If anything it makes me want to watch his Dracula movie again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

blood_dot_biz posted:

I'm maybe a little late to the possession genre conversation, but I honestly think the implied existence of Heaven and God has the potential to make something even more terrifying.

There's no guarantee that the characters are getting to Heaven just because it exists, right? Like, in Drag Me to Hell there's this looming threat of, well, being dragged to Hell. Also, you can't just kill yourself, because that's a mortal sin or whatever, and what if you're possessed, do you get to go to Heaven if you die while you're possessed? Maybe one character will probably make it but if their family member is possessed and is going to spend all eternity being tortured in indescribable ways, that's pretty loving terrifying too. Sure, Heaven is a thing, but if you and all your loved ones aren't going there, or if there's at least that possibility, I think that's honestly more terrifying than just blinking out of existence. Knowing you were so close to something perfect and beautiful, but then having that thing ripped away from you, is worse than never having had a shot at it to begin with.

Watch Constantine. That's how to win :)

As for Carrie, I read the book, and see the original as one of three DePalma movies that are good. It's just something that's kind of an irrelevant remake unless you do something special - it's not like the themes of the original age much (ie. Body Snatchers). The remake just SEEMING like a retread turns me off immensely, even if I'll inevitably see it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I think I would be ok with a near shot for shot remake of Carrie if they cast someone for the lead that brings a new depth to the character, bit I'm not seeing it in the trailer.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, and they're all at least twice as long as the average trailer nowadays, which is like 90 seconds tops usually? You watch some old trailers and you're reminded of why they only used to show two or three, some of them are like three minutes long and leave little to the imagination.

I'm not sure when the switch happened but here's the Phenomena trailer from 1985 that does that, for example. It's definitely better about telling you the whole movie part but it shows a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41RvtcpaaG4

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I think it's important to differentiate between the two kinds of demonic horror. There are films like Evil Dead and Drag Me to Hell, which have demons but are not explicitly Abrahamic (keep in mind the idea of demons predates Christianity by thousands of years). Then there's movies like The Rite, The Conjuring, REC, etc. which are very much Christian, or sometimes Jewish. Obviously the latter is more prevalent.

One thing I realized not too long ago is that if you look at religious horror, or any kind of fiction based on Abrahamic religion, is that by it's own logic there is no tension in the story. God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent; therefore every demon or devil, no matter how terrifying, is going to lose in the end no matter what happens. It's like in The Devil's Advocate, where Keanu Reeves' character points out to Al Pacino's Satan that he's destined to lose. If you watch a film about James Bond or Batman you know they aren't going to die at the end but within the context of their stories these characters can die, so there's some tension in the suspension of disbelief. This isn't so when it comes to, say, The Last Exorcism 2. We all know the Antichrist will be defeated, Satan will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity, blah blah blah.

But I digress.

Darko posted:

As for Carrie, I read the book, and see the original as one of three DePalma movies that are good. It's just something that's kind of an irrelevant remake unless you do something special - it's not like the themes of the original age much (ie. Body Snatchers). The remake just SEEMING like a retread turns me off immensely, even if I'll inevitably see it.

The only thing that seems different is that in this version, Carrie is portrayed by a beautiful actress, which ruins the entire premise. I like the cast but this is definitely skippable.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

MantisToboggan posted:

I think it's important to differentiate between the two kinds of demonic horror. There are films like Evil Dead and Drag Me to Hell, which have demons but are not explicitly Abrahamic (keep in mind the idea of demons predates Christianity by thousands of years). Then there's movies like The Rite, The Conjuring, REC, etc. which are very much Christian, or sometimes Jewish. Obviously the latter is more prevalent.

One thing I realized not too long ago is that if you look at religious horror, or any kind of fiction based on Abrahamic religion, is that by it's own logic there is no tension in the story. God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent; therefore every demon or devil, no matter how terrifying, is going to lose in the end no matter what happens. It's like in The Devil's Advocate, where Keanu Reeves' character points out to Al Pacino's Satan that he's destined to lose. If you watch a film about James Bond or Batman you know they aren't going to die at the end but within the context of their stories these characters can die, so there's some tension in the suspension of disbelief. This isn't so when it comes to, say, The Last Exorcism 2. We all know the Antichrist will be defeated, Satan will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity, blah blah blah.

I feel like it isn't fair to say it's always a given though. There have been movies that don't give us this assured Christian victory (huge spoilers for a few random movies obviously, reader beware Rosemary's Baby, The Omen ). It's likely, sure, and the more cliched the movie the more likely it is, but it's definitely something that can be played with. Who's to say every aspect of the bible has to be the final truth in any arbitrary film's universe, even if it seems like the obviously overarching theme?

Also, I really do feel like a situation itself can be scary even if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it'll turn out alright in the end. Getting into real life, haunted houses can be terrifying even though there's literally zero danger to you in those scenarios. And to go someplace really dumb, we can be afraid of horror movies even though we ourselves aren't the ones in danger, and we know the people in the movie aren't real and thus aren't in any real danger either. I just don't buy that things need the possibility of a gruesome ending for fear to come into play. It can amplify things, definitely, but I don't think it's required.

Though it's different for everyone I guess! It probably just comes down to being a personal thing.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

blood_dot_biz posted:

Also, I really do feel like a situation itself can be scary even if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it'll turn out alright in the end. Getting into real life, haunted houses can be terrifying even though there's literally zero danger to you in those scenarios. And to go someplace really dumb, we can be afraid of horror movies even though we ourselves aren't the ones in danger, and we know the people in the movie aren't real and thus aren't in any real danger either. I just don't buy that things need the possibility of a gruesome ending for fear to come into play. It can amplify things, definitely, but I don't think it's required.

Though it's different for everyone I guess! It probably just comes down to being a personal thing.

That's a fair point I suppose. I still think that The Omen skews a little too much to scripture for any ambiguity toward its endgame, especially considering the third film. To be honest I think a lot of my objections come from being nonreligious, but that's what happens when you live in a Christian culture I guess. Like I said, there's a lot of religious horror that I've enjoyed, but I'll always prefer something like Hellraiser or Evil Dead to something like The Conjuring.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Are there any demonic possession movies in which the victim turns out to be mentally ill?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Castor Poe posted:

Are there any demonic possession movies in which the victim turns out to be mentally ill?

Requiem (2006) is a German film that is based on the same events as The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and focuses on the mental illness aspect of possession. It is definitely not a horror film, but still quite fascinating.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MantisToboggan posted:

The only thing that seems different is that in this version, Carrie is portrayed by a beautiful actress, which ruins the entire premise. I like the cast but this is definitely skippable.

I'd disagree about Chloe Moretz being beautiful. She's looked slightly odd in every picture I've ever seen of her. Also see the Kick-rear end 2 trailer for her pulling off "awkward and slightly socially inept", which in high school can be as bad as a facial birthmark.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I am not going to talk about Chloe Moretz's looks because she's only 15 or 16 and that would be creepy, but she is definitely more conventionally beautiful than Sissy Spacek was at the time.

edit: Even though this new Carrie is supposedly closer to the book, even Stephen King said "The real question is why, when the original was so good?"

MantisToboggan fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Requiem (2006) is a German film that is based on the same events as The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and focuses on the mental illness aspect of possession. It is definitely not a horror film, but still quite fascinating.

I just finished watching it on Netflix, the last fifteen minutes or so are going to haunt me for a long time. The look of absolute consternation on Stefan's face during the super low-key 'exorcism' scene hit me like ton of bricks, gently caress, the whole movie hit me like a ton of bricks. Great film, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is The Exorcism of Emily Rose any good?