Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have an airbrush and commercial decals!

Through a combo of better quality decals and 2 coats of future plus a GLOSS spray (no more matte, trains are gloss not matte idiots!) these guys are almost looking store bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

I have an airbrush and commercial decals!

Through a combo of better quality decals and 2 coats of future plus a GLOSS spray (no more matte, trains are gloss not matte idiots!) these guys are almost looking store bought.

Aren't trains gloss for about a day until they're used and get dusty as hell?

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 15, 2013

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I am working on my 1/350 scale ww2 Italian cruiser with red and white diagonal air recognition stripes. I have never painted stripes before so I did a test with some tape and the stripes came out pretty well. However, the deck is not very flat with lots of little protrusions (which are intentional). I tried laying the tape flat but the knobs and nubbins prevent that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this obstacle? I thought about maybe sanding down the raised bits but there must be a more elegant approach. I tried cutting the tape so it could conform to the surface better but that wasn't perfect either.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Getting liquid masking or a white elmers glue that doesn't dry into a brittle scab over the deck and cover what you don't want painted, overlapping a bit of what you do. Then when it dries, take an exacto-knife and a ruler and gently trim the glue off of where you'll be painting.

When the paint dries use water to help you peel the rest of it off.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Humbrol (iirc) makes a purple fluid masking fluid. Paint it on like nailpolish, lift it off when done.

If you want to make sure it doesn't leak through, then spray it with some future and let it dry before continuing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

Humbrol (iirc) makes a purple fluid masking fluid. Paint it on like nailpolish, lift it off when done.

If you want to make sure it doesn't leak through, then spray it with some future and let it dry before continuing.

The Humbrol one stinks to high heaven, buy the Vallejo Liquid mask.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

mehall posted:

The Humbrol one stinks to high heaven, buy the Vallejo Liquid mask.

Vallejo is good, but is water based IIRC, so you wouldn't want to be brushing on acrylics over top of it.

edit: Their website says it is good for watercolors and tempera, so maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 16, 2013

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Vallejo is good, but is water based IIRC, so you wouldn't want to be brushing on acrylics over top of it.

edit: Their website says it is good for watercolors and tempera, so maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Yup. Like most of their extra products, it's based on an acrylic RESIN.

Second word being most important, hence the caps. 'Cause it's resin, it doesn't give a poo poo what you put on top of it, and peels pretty well.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Cross post from the miniatures thread:

It's a somewhat small update, but I wanted to finish it before getting to the new features I've been planning.

Here are the changes:

- Added Reaper colors
- Added Gunze colors
- Fixed bug when searching for some colors with the word grey, for example "ulthuan grey"
- Due to seeing people trying to search for specific brands but not adding colon, which would have returned zero results, I've added an option to search for specific colors with numbers without the colon. For example, instead of searching for "h:86" , you can write "h86" and get the same results. This will only work for searching for specific color numbers, otherwise you still need to separate the color brand and search term with ":" as explained in the Advanced Search section.
- Improved search speed

For the next version I'm planning a color inventory feature, as well as some more interactive features (flagging a color match and similar). I want people to be able to have access to their color inventory from either the online or the android versions, so I'll be doing an optional login of some sort, probably based on either facebook, google+, or just an email and password option, and the actual color inventory will be hosted on my server.

I'm also having some ideas about actual physical tools but I'm keeping it under wraps for the moment, I need to see how well it'll actually work out.

Scale Model Helper is a utility to make it easier for the scale model builder and miniature painter to match colors from different brands. There is an online version and an Android version.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys, I have an airliner model (787) which has heaps of little windows and im unsure of the best way to mask them?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hey guys, I have an airliner model (787) which has heaps of little windows and im unsure of the best way to mask them?

I haven't done any airliners, but I would think a liquid paint-on mask would probably be your best bet. Something like this stuff: http://www.hobbylinc.com/liquid_mask_painting_mask_tape

In other news, I started a sweet-rear end '76 Ford van, but I don't have any pictures yet. I'll snag some tonight and try to liven the thread back up a bit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In other news, I started a sweet-rear end '76 Ford van, but I don't have any pictures yet. I'll snag some tonight and try to liven the thread back up a bit.

Sweet! It's that "Phantom Van", right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sweet! It's that "Phantom Van", right?

It is indeed, actually. I still don't have pictures because apparently my home PC decided to eat itself and needs a reinstall. I've got the engine done and got some color on the interior and suspension components, but I'm still trying to track down that perfect color for the body and chassis.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Aren't trains gloss for about a day until they're used and get dusty as hell?
You need a coat of clearcoate to blend the decals in, then a coat of dullcoate to deaden the shine.

I'll get some of my HO scale stuff on this weekend.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I am sooo getting into this hobby. I have an airbrush, compressor, model tank kit, cutting mat, hobby knife, mixing cups, and stirring sticks (toothpicks)arriving from amazon tomorrow. I'm gonna go to the hobby shop today and buy some sanding sticks, modeling cement, paints, brushes, and thinner. Is there anything else I missed? Nothing I hate more than getting home and realizing that I forgot a $5 tool or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm getting pretty nerdy. There's a website where you can type in the reporting numbers for ANY train ever and it will give you a gallery of pictures because autism. I'm looking up my actual exact trains I own and detailing them as they appear today.

The first thing I noticed is that the new loco I bought now has a bright yellow reflective stripe running down the side of it. I had never airbrushed such a thing and was scared I'd ruin my quite expensive new loco but I just went for it and it turned out pretty good! It's a bit thicker than the prototype but I'm happy with it.

Well great other than the lovely photography.

Here's the actual train today, it's semi-retired as the railway was bought out so mine is still much cleaner.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 6, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

pageerror404 posted:

I am sooo getting into this hobby. I have an airbrush, compressor, model tank kit, cutting mat, hobby knife, mixing cups, and stirring sticks (toothpicks)arriving from amazon tomorrow. I'm gonna go to the hobby shop today and buy some sanding sticks, modeling cement, paints, brushes, and thinner. Is there anything else I missed? Nothing I hate more than getting home and realizing that I forgot a $5 tool or something.

Buy some shelves, you'll need them. You can't stop at just one tank.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for the tips about the masking fluid earlier. Turns out I didn't have to use it. Here is the finished product of my 1/350 scale Italian cruiser Pola. The air recognition stripes didn't turn out great but I'm pleased with it.
http://imgur.com/a/W5KRZ

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

space pope posted:

Thanks for the tips about the masking fluid earlier. Turns out I didn't have to use it. Here is the finished product of my 1/350 scale Italian cruiser Pola. The air recognition stripes didn't turn out great but I'm pleased with it.
http://imgur.com/a/W5KRZ

Nice. What did you use for rigging?

Also, I finished my Gremlin. Pictures coming soon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can't wait to see it. Is it the re-release in the big box with the artwork? How'd it go together?

I still don't have any loving pictures of that van, but I've got my PC back up on its feet so maybe I can snag some tonight. It took me forever to figure out what I was going to do for the color, but I think I found the perfect product. Testors Model Master Purple Clear Flip Flop.

Over a black base, it should turn out like this:

which is exactly what I'm looking for. I've got the printable decal kit, so I want to make a badass mural as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think it turned out well-and it totally had the artwork! (Bitchin' purple shade BTW.)

When I was closing in on finishing the thing, I moved, which threw a wrench into things. I only got my modelling stuff back last week. By that time I really wanted to move on, and skipped a few details on the body that should have been painted separately. (Looking at real Gremlin Xs, I noticed that they had a strip of chrome running along the rocker sills. After painting the sills, I pulled off the tape and discovered future residue all along one side. Long story short, I had to mask and repaint the entire area and decided that was the last body detail I was going to paint.) TL;DR on the kit itself: well made, lots of nice options (I built it stock but all the parts are there for a drag racer, the kit also included a full set of tinted windows and a nice pair of drag slicks), missing a few details you might expect (such as side mirrors), one building flaw. Anyway, would recommend/build again.

I also ended up painting the chrome bits. Maybe somebody with more experience can advise me: I always end up painting the chrome bits, because I feel like the chrome out of the box looks terrible and plastic-y. Am I a fool? (I think this kit actually did a better job than many on it, but discovered some enamel paint that looked better.)

Still, I ended up with what I wanted: my dream car for goin' to university circa 1982.

The 'X' package had some sport options but was mostly about convenience and appearance. Things body colored became chrome.

Trunk-mounted Gremlin logo. 5L V8 made it fast - relative to new cars in the 70s, anyway.

Regular wheels painted with silver chrome trim looked much more metallic to my eye.

Undercarriage was the easiest bit to put together. They cheat the details on the front end a bit.

Front shows (very few) scars from the surgery it had to undergo to make the trunk fit properly.

If the V8 wasn't smog-strangled, it would probably be a powerful engine even today. The wires and details around the engine I made myself. Interior is denim jeans, naturally. In my mind, it is also a standard. (Was gonna fabricate a standard shift but got lazy.)

Starsky and Hutch cam goes about...here

While I was typing this post, I noticed I didn't attach the rear spoiler.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think it turned out well-and it totally had the artwork! (Bitchin' purple shade BTW.)

Nice work. You actually made a Gremlin look good!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm getting pretty nerdy. There's a website where you can type in the reporting numbers for ANY train ever and it will give you a gallery of pictures because autism. I'm looking up my actual exact trains I own and detailing them as they appear today.
Nice work. Which site did you use for the detail shots?

Here's some of my HO Scale equipment that I'm working on. The CP 40' boxcar was an Athearn blue-box kit with aftermarket decals, the SD35 and caboose are being converted to Penn Central equipment, and the steam engine in the back will get some work done to it as well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Finally got some progress shots of The Van.

Swanky-rear end interior with seats from a Trans-Am:

And the 351 for power. The divot on the valve cover will be filled by the oil fill tube. I don't have it on yet because I don't feel like snapping it off and swearing as I install the engine.

Yes, The Van needs dual four-barrels...

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks. Just some black thread for the rigging.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

My friend has that Gremmy kit, but he didn't bother painting his interior so it's still just the solid white. Yours looks awesome.

I'm making (very) slow progress on the Huey and Skyline kits. Skyline is currently sitting at my friend's awaiting paint on the body, the Huey is in the final stages of cockpit assembly. Also? gently caress those water based decals. They never, ever come off right and now my Huey's gauge cluster is ruined :sigh:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

T1g4h posted:

My friend has that Gremmy kit, but he didn't bother painting his interior so it's still just the solid white. Yours looks awesome.

I'm making (very) slow progress on the Huey and Skyline kits. Skyline is currently sitting at my friend's awaiting paint on the body, the Huey is in the final stages of cockpit assembly. Also? gently caress those water based decals. They never, ever come off right and now my Huey's gauge cluster is ruined :sigh:

One thing I actually learned to do very well when I was a kid was applying those decals. The trick is to use some dish detergent in the water for unsticking them. Then, you can wet the surface where you are going to apply the decal, slap it on, and move it about till it is positioned properly.

The other trick: glossy surfaces work much better than matt ones.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My trick is (once I get the rough positioning right) to put some water on the model where the decal is going (just a drop should do) I can then float the decal around until it's about where I want and wick up the water with either a brush or the corner of a piece of paper towel. You can always re-float a decal on a drop of water until it sets up, so keep playing with it.

Then apply micro-sol and if needed press gently with a clean wad of paper towel to suck it right into the grooves.

Are you letting the decal sit for a couple minutes before sliding off the backing paper? It should slide without resistance so you can position it and pull the backing paper out from behind it.

But Instrument gauges seem to hate me. It's why I love 1:144.

Edit:

Remember this?

Jonny Nox posted:

Here are ones that I've also been working on:
Dragon F/A-18F (ready for fist decal pass)
Revell F/A-18C (Ready for masking)
Dragon Tornado F.3 (Assembling, hilariously bad cockpit)

I've worked on some other stuff in the meantime
but...

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 8, 2013

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
So aside from Games Workshop, what are some other good sources for sci-fi/futuristic vehicles? I live in the US btw.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What scale are you looking to do? There's a few different things you can do, but you will probably end up ordering from Japan.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Arquinsiel posted:

What scale are you looking to do? There's a few different things you can do, but you will probably end up ordering from Japan.

Hard to say because I have no idea how big a spaceship is supposed to be haha.

I guess something larger than a fist but no bigger than a loaf of bread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Nice work. Which site did you use for the detail shots?

Here's some of my HO Scale equipment that I'm working on. The CP 40' boxcar was an Athearn blue-box kit with aftermarket decals, the SD35 and caboose are being converted to Penn Central equipment, and the steam engine in the back will get some work done to it as well.

https://www.rrpicturearchives.net will get you every train ever photographed. Just type in the reporting mark and number and you'll get probably multiple pictures over many years. I know a few guys will try to EXACTLY weather and detail their trains based on the latest prototype picture. So every lovely patch job, every weird modification, every bit of rust.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

pageerror404 posted:

So aside from Games Workshop, what are some other good sources for sci-fi/futuristic vehicles? I live in the US btw.

To go along with what Arquinsiel said, you're probably going to end up looking to Japan for this. Go poke around on https://www.hlj.com for a while. Tons of stuff there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Revell do some Star Wars, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica kits too if you're looking for spaceships, but they might be bigger than you're looking for.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
If you feel like a challenge you could try kit bashing like the ILM guys did back in the day.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wish I could remember the name name, but isn't there a whole series of models of dudes in close-fitting mech suits, sort of western style but interpreted through japanese styling? I was just reading about one a guy did in The Weathering Magazine, and it was a cool take on mech suits without being all dumbass Voltron/Eva/Macross style. Sort of an Ashley Wood WWr style, but kits. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.rrpicturearchives.net will get you every train ever photographed. Just type in the reporting mark and number and you'll get probably multiple pictures over many years. I know a few guys will try to EXACTLY weather and detail their trains based on the latest prototype picture. So every lovely patch job, every weird modification, every bit of rust.
That's my go-to site as well, I was curious to see if there was somewhere else I was missing.

I've seen some of those guys that you mention, that poo poo is NUTS. It's a level I want to get to, but it's a lot of work and money just to have non-moulded on grabirons and the like, and that's too much for me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish I could remember the name name, but isn't there a whole series of models of dudes in close-fitting mech suits, sort of western style but interpreted through japanese styling? I was just reading about one a guy did in The Weathering Magazine, and it was a cool take on mech suits without being all dumbass Voltron/Eva/Macross style. Sort of an Ashley Wood WWr style, but kits. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maschinen Krueger?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Maschinen Krueger?

EDIT: Yep, turned out to be Ma.K after all. These were the figures I was thinking of:

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
In the meantime, if you guys want some spacey stuff....

This is one the best space-dude figures I've seen in a long time. Sculpted by Toi Ogunyoku, this guy is about 12" tall, and amazing detail on him.

You can also check out Industria Mechanika. They have all sort of crazy characters and machines, from fish-shaped submersibles to Borderlands buggies.