Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

VR Cowboy posted:

That's right.

Great, thanks!

640-822 scheduled and paid for, that should kick my rear end in gear... Any thoughts about the premium subscription to the cisco learning network? At 10 bucks a month, would it be useful for the next couple months to help study for the ICND1/2 before it changes, or is it pretty much a waste of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Not sure if this is the best thread for this but what the hell.

I have been out of school and looking for a job for about 2 months now and am currently studying for ICND1. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look at my resume and give me advice because I haven't gotten many hits as of yet.

I am currently applying for pretty much any help desk or entry level networking position.

Let me know if you are willing to look at over and we can talk over PM's or email or something.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Great, thanks!

640-822 scheduled and paid for, that should kick my rear end in gear... Any thoughts about the premium subscription to the cisco learning network? At 10 bucks a month, would it be useful for the next couple months to help study for the ICND1/2 before it changes, or is it pretty much a waste of money?

Hmm... That's a good question. I assume that the Learning Network is separate from the Cisco Academy?

I personally never used the learning network at all while I was studying for my 640-822. If you find it beneficial for you, then $10 doesn't sound too bad.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Am I reading it right where the CCENT exam costs $295? This is what the Pearson VUE site is saying after I've registered. I figured it would be +$100 but not that much. Is there anywhere to get it cheaper?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Am I reading it right where the CCENT exam costs $295? This is what the Pearson VUE site is saying after I've registered. I figured it would be +$100 but not that much. Is there anywhere to get it cheaper?
You're on the wrong exam.

640-822 CCENT/ICND1 $150
640-816 ICND2 $150
640-802 CCNA $295

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Ozu posted:

You're on the wrong exam.

640-822 CCENT/ICND1 $150
640-816 ICND2 $150
640-802 CCNA $295

Ah, so that's for the CCNA exam. Probably another silly question, but is there some kind of discount test voucher site or sales I should keep an eye out for?

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Passed the 701 today.

Anybody need help with their floppy drive?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BulimicGoat posted:

Passed the 701 today.

Anybody need help with their floppy drive?

Don't Copy That Floppy

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Took the 70-680 today. Failed. 680/1000.

Six. Hundred. And. loving. Eighty.

Probably one wrong answer that swung it. Gutted.

IMHO, there are nowhere near enough questions on the test to represent the vast amount of material involved, i.e. each question is worth too much, considering the breadth of subject matter.

But gently caress it, I'll keep going and retake it in a couple of months, once i've calmed down. And saved up another £99 (~ $150).

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
ICND 1 640-822 is down, one more to go. Definitely need to be fast if you have any hoping of passing. I was so drat nervous I'm still impressed that I passed. Writing all the masks helped me save valuable time.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

DropsySufferer posted:

ICND 1 640-822 is down, one more to go. Definitely need to be fast if you have any hoping of passing. I was so drat nervous I'm still impressed that I passed. Writing all the masks helped me save valuable time.

Congrats, I'm taking 640-822 myself on thursday.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

So I'm studying to take the RHCSA. So far, it seems ridiculously easy. Am I off on that assessment?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Took the 70-680 today. Failed. 680/1000.

Six. Hundred. And. loving. Eighty.

Probably one wrong answer that swung it. Gutted.

IMHO, there are nowhere near enough questions on the test to represent the vast amount of material involved, i.e. each question is worth too much, considering the breadth of subject matter.

But gently caress it, I'll keep going and retake it in a couple of months, once i've calmed down. And saved up another £99 (~ $150).

It's alright dude, I failed the first time I took it with that same exact score. You're really close, and I bet you crush it next time.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Vintimus Prime posted:

It's alright dude, I failed the first time I took it with that same exact score. You're really close, and I bet you crush it next time.

Cheers man, think I'll 'lab' everything in the meantime on some VMs.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Cheers man, think I'll 'lab' everything in the meantime on some VMs.

Gotta love MS exams: study 500 pages, get 40-45 questions, and you can probably only get 5-8 of 'em wrong.

Definitely go through the book in VMs, I failed the 70-290 when I thought I had it down cold from half a book and using 2k3 forever. It can be humbling to fail an exam, if for no other reason than you'll study the hell out of each one that follows to make sure it doesn't happen again. You can do it!

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Crushed the ROUTE today (988/1000). I really have no interest in studying for SWITCH, but I suppose it has to be done. Luckily the book is half as thick and I am already familiar with the material. Sigh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Protokoll posted:

Crushed the ROUTE today (988/1000). I really have no interest in studying for SWITCH, but I suppose it has to be done. Luckily the book is half as thick and I am already familiar with the material. Sigh.

Teach how to be you protokoll, my route book laughs in my face on a daily basis.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Sickening posted:

Teach how to be you protokoll, my route book laughs in my face on a daily basis.

I actually used some of the material I learned from ROUTE today to set up PBR with a route map. Felt good.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Sickening posted:

I just want to be a CCIE...these professional level exams are such a slog. That Odom book is pretty dry. I had better luck with the lab manual and then I watched the INE videos and read the key topics only in the Cisco Press book (if I didn't completely understand the feature described, I would read more). Took 3 weeks, but I had good working knowledge beforehand.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Sheesh. Todd Lammle's chapter on WANs (last chapter of book) is mind numbingly boring and dense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just can't wait to finally pass ROUTE (this weekend, hopefully) so I never have to read Odom again.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

jane came by posted:

Sheesh. Todd Lammle's chapter on WANs (last chapter of book) is mind numbingly boring and dense.

You're so right. I literally just finished that chapter last night and it was painful - it felt like it was never going to end.

The WAN chapter felt hard because he was covering a broad and complex subject, but wasn't doing it in enough depth to properly explain things, which made it difficult to fully grasp some of the concepts IMO. I had to rely on wikipedia and watching CCNA youtube videos whilst doing the chapter to fill in the blanks.

I can appreciate that he's sticking to the CCNA syllabus and avoiding straying too far off course, but still...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MJP posted:

Gotta love MS exams: study 500 pages, get 40-45 questions, and you can probably only get 5-8 of 'em wrong.

Definitely go through the book in VMs, I failed the 70-290 when I thought I had it down cold from half a book and using 2k3 forever. It can be humbling to fail an exam, if for no other reason than you'll study the hell out of each one that follows to make sure it doesn't happen again. You can do it!

Soon enough you'll be going "gently caress this federation poo poo, you cant even properly VM sim this" to want your own SSO appliance.

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .

moron posted:

I can appreciate that he's sticking to the CCNA syllabus and avoiding straying too far off course, but still...

Maybe it worked - wireless topics have been dropped from the revised curriculum.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

MJP posted:

Thanks mate - I studied the hell out of that one, but you know, full time job, family commitments etc.

Next time I'll smash it :D

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

moron posted:

You're so right. I literally just finished that chapter last night and it was painful - it felt like it was never going to end.

The WAN chapter felt hard because he was covering a broad and complex subject, but wasn't doing it in enough depth to properly explain things, which made it difficult to fully grasp some of the concepts IMO. I had to rely on wikipedia and watching CCNA youtube videos whilst doing the chapter to fill in the blanks.

Well put, glad it's not just me.

Anonymous Coward posted:

Maybe it worked - wireless topics have been dropped from the revised curriculum.

That was actually a good idea because Lammle's chapter on Wireless felt like pure fluff, no more complex than how Wireless is covered on the Comptia Network+.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Long post incoming with description of my situation, questions and rants.

Ive been at my current help monkey job for 10 years. Always just piddly/passing interest in certing up.

I have an A+ from 2001, ITIL V3 Foundation, Helpdesk Analyst from HDI (who gives a poo poo and why did I need it again, oh work said so and paid for it, but whatever)

Anyway, I went back to school, transferred 28 credits from the 90s into my current program, got my general ed out of the way and now working toward a BS in Network Management at a local college.

I am currently taking the MS Course http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/course.aspx?id=6421b for MS 70-642 using this book
http://www.amazon.com/Course-6421B-...&keywords=6421b

Now is it just me, or is this book absolute trash? I have found various spelling errors, and instances where lab poo poo just doesn't loving work. (this can crush your confidence, because instead of seeing what should be working, the lab result is erroring out and it isnt due to your fault at all. Beginning of the book says each system will have 4GB of RAM. But helloooo, one of the labs, (section 5 I think) has you run 5 VM's and guess what, that isn't enough RAM to run the goddamn thing.

ANYWAY, I am wanting to setup my own lab stuff for this class but don't even know where to begin. I have an Dreamspark access and can get Server 2008R2. I have a MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion with 16GB of RAM on it. How can I configure multiple VMWares/or use Hyper-V to setup the lab environ to match that of the book? The School wont release the VHD file for use outside of class. I want to be able to follow along at home, and launch NYC-DC1, NYC-CL1 etc on the "contoso.com" domain with the IP addressing that system is expecting as well as the accounts of users in AD already that correspond to the labs.

---
On a side note, instructor says we can pass the class in 1 of 2 ways. Pass the Transcender with 90% or better, or just pass the 70-642 test with any passing score. Problem there is that there is NO Prometric testing in Oklahoma until September, and last day of class is August 21. Seems I'll need to drive to Dallas. I don't want to just cram and eventually memorize just the Transcender since I would need to take the MS Test anyway to count toward certification. Wondering though, I did 2 of the 50 random question tests and have scored 46-48% with only 2 weeks of study and being just 4 chapters deep. I wonder/hope that is a good indicator of pointing in the right direction that I have a basic grasp and can reason my way through the unknowns a bit and that with more study, familiarization will occur more easily.
---
Are CBTNugget videos downloadable at all, or is the subscription locked into online only viewing? I will be needing 70-640 and 70-646 in the future to get MSCA Windows Server 2008 certified. We will also be working on CCNA, but when this was enrolled and scheduled it was well before the new flavor of Cisco test was even announced.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Are CBTNugget videos downloadable at all, or is the subscription locked into online only viewing? I will be needing 70-640 and 70-646 in the future to get MSCA Windows Server 2008 certified. We will also be working on CCNA, but when this was enrolled and scheduled it was well before the new flavor of Cisco test was even announced.
Strictly video streaming, although the IT Training plan includes audio .mp3 downloads of the course material.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Now is it just me, or is this book absolute trash? I have found various spelling errors, and instances where lab poo poo just doesn't loving work. (this can crush your confidence, because instead of seeing what should be working, the lab result is erroring out and it isnt due to your fault at all. Beginning of the book says each system will have 4GB of RAM. But helloooo, one of the labs, (section 5 I think) has you run 5 VM's and guess what, that isn't enough RAM to run the goddamn thing.

ANYWAY, I am wanting to setup my own lab stuff for this class but don't even know where to begin. I have an Dreamspark access and can get Server 2008R2. I have a MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion with 16GB of RAM on it. How can I configure multiple VMWares/or use Hyper-V to setup the lab environ to match that of the book? The School wont release the VHD file for use outside of class. I want to be able to follow along at home, and launch NYC-DC1, NYC-CL1 etc on the "contoso.com" domain with the IP addressing that system is expecting as well as the accounts of users in AD already that correspond to the labs.

You don't need to give your VM for training anything more than 512mb of ram. Ignore all of that, I have 8GB devoted to 12 server instances and dump my VM and i'm able to sim just fine. Your MBP will more than handle 5 concurrent server instances, because most of the time they'll be idle. For your training you'll need to devise an internal network in the vmware.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16572 Here are instant VHD for you to train on.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks, in all my searching I haven't found anything close to this for lab setup purposes.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 30, 2013

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have tips for the VCP-510 exam? I only have materials for the vanilla VCP5 exam (Mastering vSphere 5 and the CBT Nuggets) - is this still heavily focused on licensing and maximums like ram and disk sizing?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've recently ascended into some sort of mid-mid-life crisis and im now contemplating my next move. My entire education and 'career' so far has been IT related. I have a CCENT and I enjoyed doing it. I remember being sort of disappointed when it all came to an end so I think i'd like to explore that as a possible career path.

Does anyone have any insight into what sort of career paths or job opportunities are available to me if I went down the route of CCNA/CCNP are they valuable certs to have?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You want to be a Network Engineer. Yes, those are very valuable certs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've recently ascended into some sort of mid-mid-life crisis and im now contemplating my next move. My entire education and 'career' so far has been IT related. I have a CCENT and I enjoyed doing it. I remember being sort of disappointed when it all came to an end so I think i'd like to explore that as a possible career path.

Does anyone have any insight into what sort of career paths or job opportunities are available to me if I went down the route of CCNA/CCNP are they valuable certs to have?

CCNA is just an all around good certification to have if you're in IT. It's more focused on managing networks you'll find at a branch office or a small to medium sized business.

The CCNP is much more focused on network engineering at the enterprise level, so basically doing configuration and topology design using dynamic routing protocols, implementing layer 2 security, redundant links, implementing QoS, etc. It's also 3 exams instead of 1 (or 2 since you did the two part option for your CCENT).

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

I actually used some of the material I learned from ROUTE today to set up PBR with a route map. Felt good.

I am reading and labbing the new'ish (well to me, got my NP back in '06) NP R&S books right now. When did Cisco change the NP R&S format? Why they hit so hard...

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Passed the 640-822 with a 950/1000 today, I recommend knowing your way around the show commands, how to subnet quickly, the ins and outs of the Physical/Data Link/Network/Transport layers, ARP, and more WAN than you probably think. GL

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
passed my PMP exam today. Rough test but ended with 3 "moderates" 1 proficient and 1 "under". Basically I'm good at everything but closing a project and I'm really good and the actual project execution. :toot:

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Good at everything but closing a project? Well you'll fit right in with all other PMs I've ever worked with.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Can anyone recommend a good practice exam package for the 640-822/816?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Is this a decent set of study material for CCNP R&S?

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Official-Certification-Library/dp/1587202247

Any other recommended readings?

Second, what's the preferred material for MCSA - Server 2012?

E: if these are questions that are in the thread 45 times just pretend I never asked them, as I realized too late that they probably are, disregard. I'll read the thread as I have time.

Tiny amount of content: Work sent me to ICND1 and 2 these past two weeks, I'm having a ton of fun. I never really do networking for actual work (linux admin) so it's a nice change of pace. The theory stuff does not seem nearly as dry and impenetrable when it's not written by Odom.

It's also kind of funny how often he's like "this isn't accurate, but it is what you should memorize."

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2013