Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh man theres permadeath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Having to play through a story mode for hours to get to the co-op sounds terrible for a traditional beat 'em up.

No you see, we have to give players a reason to keep playing and since players have such short attention spans, THEY NEED TO UNLOCK STUFF. Kind of like a fighting game!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Uh, can someone tell me how to create games where actual people will join and not NPCs?

I know I can invite people to in front of the ranch but I think that only works with friends.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Uh, can someone tell me how to create games where actual people will join and not NPCs?

I know I can invite people to in front of the ranch but I think that only works with friends.

When you're in the stable/gate, press start and make sure you're set to online. If you want to make your own game, go to the stable. If you want to join random games go to the gate.

Experimented with Chaos Labyrinth just earlier, picked up the skill point refund item after finishing three levels. It's basically a randomized dungeon, although it copies backgrounds from the story dungeons. Trap/enemy/treasure placement is random, and you'll get things such as entire floors lighting on fire or etc. Might get crazier later, since I'm not that far in. You also get rewards for finishing levels; there's generally 2-3 dungeons per level of the labyrinth so far, with a total of 9 levels.

EDIT: Make sure you have join on in the Tavern for player slots.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 29, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No one can tell me if this game can be played 100% I'm English? (The Japanese version...)

I think I see it for download on the JP PSN store (unless that's some kind of preorder link?)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

No one can tell me if this game can be played 100% I'm English? (The Japanese version...)

I think I see it for download on the JP PSN store (unless that's some kind of preorder link?)

IIRC the voices can be set to English, but there's no english text available.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Feenix posted:

People probably just assumed that you were crazy for wanting to pay around twenty dollars more for the Japanese version when it's coming out in the US a week from tomorrow. :shobon:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RoyalScion posted:

IIRC the voices can be set to English, but there's no english text available.

Ah ok. I wait one more week, then.

:(

tooooooo bad posted:

People probably just assumed that you were crazy for wanting to pay around twenty dollars more for the Japanese version when it's coming out in the US a week from tomorrow. :shobon:

I have more money than sense at times... :)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think it was mentioned on one of the streams that the English text was actually in the game in the JP version, but was commented out in the code or something. But yeah I'd just wait a week.

EDIT: apparently bosses can appear as minibosses in the Chaos Labyrinth.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 30, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

When you're in the stable/gate, press start and make sure you're set to online. If you want to make your own game, go to the stable. If you want to join random games go to the gate.

Experimented with Chaos Labyrinth just earlier, picked up the skill point refund item after finishing three levels. It's basically a randomized dungeon, although it copies backgrounds from the story dungeons. Trap/enemy/treasure placement is random, and you'll get things such as entire floors lighting on fire or etc. Might get crazier later, since I'm not that far in. You also get rewards for finishing levels; there's generally 2-3 dungeons per level of the labyrinth so far, with a total of 9 levels.

EDIT: Make sure you have join on in the Tavern for player slots.

Thanks, but non-human players are still joining my game. I don't know why. I had a real player join and help me kill Medusa though.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh man theres permadeath?

Only for people you've found on multiplayer and resurrected into your own game. Also, you can't repair their equipment, so once all of their stuff breaks, the only option is to delete them. There's also a limit to how many you can have at once.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, they'll just randomly join. Unfortunately there's no way to restrict slots to human-only, if that's what you wanted.

Usually for quests I just do a really long adventure run because it'll eventually cycle through them.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

What the gently caress happened here? A level 33 with a huge resurrection cost?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So am I correctly getting that the general sentiment here is that you guys are happy/satisfied/entertained by the game?

I hope it's good.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think it's a reasonably good game for $50, but in general I like co-op shoot-em-up/action games, so take it with a grain of salt. Some general pros and cons:

The visuals are pretty nice aside from the all the mostly naked women. Skills and attacks seem like they have weight and power, which is good. Fighting in general is pretty enjoyable, and there's no penalty for partying or anything. However, at the same time all the flashiness means it's easy to lose track of yourself and find yourself dead, especially when there's another person of the same class in the party. The 2.5D nature also makes it hard, for me at least, to see if I'm on the proper plane as the enemy sometimes. Combat is generally fast-paced and nice, but some enemies get pretty HP-spongy in the harder difficulties; some of them are more annoying than the bosses themselves. Item properties seem kind of boring; there are some unique modifiers on some gear but they are rewards from finishing Labyrinth stages; I don't know if they appear on random loot. Stages can get repetitive, since they're mostly the same every time except for enemy placement; even that isn't varied enough for my taste. The Labyrinth of Chaos is pretty much a ton more interesting than spamming story stages, although a fair amount more difficult, and there seem to be less people playing it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
At the moment I have a few chaos weapons but I already have weapons better than them. I guess these chaos weapons (obtained from the Labyrinth) could be considered the equivalent of a Diablo 2 "set". And just like sets, there are regular items better than them. Maybe there's a bonus for using all of them at once, just like in Diablo 2? I only have three so far.

I already have a weapon for my Dwarf which are better than the chaos hammer (雷神のカオスハンマー) which I have, which does 132-165 over the chaos hammer's 132-154. Unless there's some reason to keep using the chaos hammer, I don't see any reason to stick with it at this point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the loot drop per minute rate like? Is it crazy high like Borderlands? Are you constantly running out of space to carry stuff?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Megalixir posted:

At the moment I have a few chaos weapons but I already have weapons better than them. I guess these chaos weapons (obtained from the Labyrinth) could be considered the equivalent of a Diablo 2 "set". And just like sets, there are regular items better than them. Maybe there's a bonus for using all of them at once, just like in Diablo 2? I only have three so far.

I already have a weapon for my Dwarf which are better than the chaos hammer (雷神のカオスハンマー) which I have, which does 132-165 over the chaos hammer's 132-154. Unless there's some reason to keep using the chaos hammer, I don't see any reason to stick with it at this point.

It doesn't mention anything in the item description? Usually set pieces that combine to give an overall better bonus mention it somewhere, but this is a Japanese game so maybe not. If your Japanese ain't good/non existent I'm sure someone here could hook you up.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It doesn't mention anything in the item description? Usually set pieces that combine to give an overall better bonus mention it somewhere, but this is a Japanese game so maybe not. If your Japanese ain't good/non existent I'm sure someone here could hook you up.

All the chaos hammer says (besides usual attributes of weapons) is "tall hammer power +30%" in goldish text.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the loot drop per minute rate like? Is it crazy high like Borderlands? Are you constantly running out of space to carry stuff?

I have around 250/500 in my item box and I haven't sold anything. Although I've only been keeping mostly S/A rank gear. It's also possible to share your Item Box with your other characters.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 30, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samurai Sanders posted:

You dont see the loot until the end of the play session when you are returning to town. You do all the identifying and selling before it touches your inventory

I get on average 8 pieces per mission with maybe 2 of them upgrades. If you are chaining missions the item rank goes a lot higher and I start getting 90% usable items

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I appear to be stuck on the final boss on Hard. It feels like the game is asking me to grind through the first three levels of the Labyrinth to reach the level cap.

Is it possible to evade that insta-kill tornado crap?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Generally you'll get around 5-7 pieces of loot per dungeon, with a run time of around 8-10 minutes if your group is competent. As mentioned previously, loot isn't distributed until the end, and you have 500 slots of storage; so you should pretty much never run out of space if you sell all your non S-A-B rank gear. Even then, with most of the gear set to be for your class, I usually toss things that also have less than 3 mods automatically, ID the rest, and then toss any items without any good mods. At level 89 I'm sitting at about 160 spots used in my stash, although I do have 9 bags worth of equipment.

The Chaos Labyrinth pieces don't have a set bonus, but some of them have weird things; for example IIRC I have a ring that gives +30% score and gold received, but decreases damage you do and increases damage you take by 30% each.

As for the hard dragon, I really don't know; I've just abused well-geared player characters to murder the final boss on normal and hard, haven't tried on infernal yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Just found this English PS3 stream.
http://twitch.tv/soujiseta

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
How is item durability handled? Are you able to use weapons indefinitely as long as you have the gold to repair them or is there some kind of diminishing return/exponentially increasing cost associated with using items for prolonged periods of time?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Tequila posted:

How is item durability handled? Are you able to use weapons indefinitely as long as you have the gold to repair them or is there some kind of diminishing return/exponentially increasing cost associated with using items for prolonged periods of time?

Degrades upon use, e.g. hitting things with weapons, or getting hit in the case of armor. I haven't noticed any increasing repair costs, but generally I replace gear pretty quickly.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
What are the odds of JP saves working on US copies?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Megalixir posted:

What are the odds of JP saves working on US copies?

Zero, I'd guess. I can't ever think of a single game for PS3/Vita that supports cross-region save.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just to give a time estimate I'm at about ~45 hours played, level 95 and have killed the final boss in all three difficulties. I haven't finished the Labyrinth yet though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Zero, I'd guess. I can't ever think of a single game for PS3/Vita that supports cross-region save.
Yeah, same as trophies (outside of one or two exceptions I have seen), or any DLC.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Would anyone have the controls for each character for the PS3 version, or know where I can find it? I'm trying to make some character cards for when the friends come over :shobon:

vvv :hfive: Finally, someone who gets it! vvv

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 31, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Would anyone have the controls for each character for the PS3 version, or know where I can find it? I'm trying to make some character cards for when the friends come over :shobon:

This is so dumb, but I love it because I do the same sort of thing.

"This game already included a map? Well.... I'm just gonna make one anyway, dammit."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Same controls as vita. Square plus directions for melee, circle for special attacks. R is dodge, x is jump

Who said the dwarf could fly around dropping bombs? I don't see any skills like that. Did they mean fly around, then drop bombs?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Fauxtool posted:

Same controls as vita. Square plus directions for melee, circle for special attacks. R is dodge, x is jump

Who said the dwarf could fly around dropping bombs? I don't see any skills like that. Did they mean fly around, then drop bombs?

Thanks for the quick reply! Does L2/L3 and R2/R3 do anything?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

There was a trailer that showed the Dwarf dropping bombs while doing his frog splash across the screen. Pretty badass.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

There was a trailer that showed the Dwarf dropping bombs while doing his frog splash across the screen. Pretty badass.

I feel like I have played with lvl 40 Japanese players doing this, I just don't see the skill. The slightly off translation doesnt help. Atlus is usually better with their english

I have the skill to triple jump body slam like an eagle and the one to put bombs in my inventory, but I'm not sure how to make them work together

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Rev 3 is streaming the game on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyM-8LvVgM

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Review embargo's up today.

Destructoid: 9.5
VentureBeat: 90/100
Kotaku
RPGFan: 8.8 (Vita) 8.5 (PS3)
IGN: 8.5
Joystiq: 4.5/5
Hardcore Gamer: 4/5
Gameinformer: 8
Gamer Horizon: 8
Co-Optimus: 4.5/5
The Escapist: 3/5
Polygon: 6.5
Technology Tell: A
VGBR: 9.5
Playstation Universe: 9
Paste Magazine: 8
RPGamer: 4/5
Digital Spy: 4/5
StickSkills: 7.5
MTV.com
STFU & Play
Famitsu: 9/8/9/9 - 35/40

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well, today the game froze my PS3 in the middle of a chaos labyrinth dungeon run, so let it be known there is at least one bug in the system. Also since I guess I heard it was present in Odin Sphere, there is some slowdown when there's ton of monsters/pyrotechnics blanketing the screen. One other complaint I have is that you can't use the gate to get into the chaos labyrinth; therefore you're stuck spamming the stables until you can join a game. A lot of the time it'll stick you in a solo dungeon, and although you can bring NPCs they're not really well suited to combat there.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 31, 2013

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't know poo poo except I like big rear end and titties. hell yeah son. hell yaeh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

Well, today the game froze my PS3 in the middle of a chaos labyrinth dungeon run, so let it be known there is at least one bug in the system.

I've had the game black screen after completing a mission in a party (but I could still jump and hear sounds), I've also had the game freak the gently caress out when someone tried to join and the whole thing would freeze for a while.

Still having difficulties with the final boss on Hard. It's really difficult to deflect attacks as a Dwarf, I would imagine it being easier with basically any other class.

Edit:

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kind of weird that Polygon gave this game the high standards treatment and yet gave DmC an 8/10. A pregnant lady gets shot in the stomach in that game, arguably more terrible than big boobs. But then again, I don't get the "shitloads of violence is fine but tits are just awful" standards in entertainment :shrug:

• Locked thread