Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me how bandwidth meters work? My router says I've only downloaded 2gb of information today, but Teksavvy's bandwidth meter says I've downloaded closer to 4gb :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Migishu posted:

Can someone explain to me how bandwidth meters work? My router says I've only downloaded 2gb of information today, but Teksavvy's bandwidth meter says I've downloaded closer to 4gb :confused:

Metric or imperial gb's?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Migishu posted:

Are you sure they're counting just download, and not total usage?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

El Scotch posted:

Metric or imperial gb's?

British Metric, it's all in stones.

Rawrbomb posted:

Are you sure they're counting just download, and not total usage?

It has a section for downloads, uploads, and total. Downloads specifically say 4gb, uploads about 68mb (which is about correct)

Yesterday has the same problem, my router says 7.4gb downloaded, while TekSavvy's meter shows i used 8.5gb

Also, the meter specifically states 1024kb = 1mb

It's weird because some days show that they're correct, but others show that they have a huge variant in bandwidth.

SliceOfPie
Jul 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

In more Teksavvy is the best news They slashed prices in response to Rogers BS about unlimited plans. As well, they applied it to all their customers with their service. They did not call people up and say "You need a new service to get cheaper" and actually notified all those it applied too that their bill would be lower.

God, I hope they continue being awesome.

I'm with Rogers retention plan. (Yes I know :( )When this is done, I"m totally going with Teksavvy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Migishu posted:

It has a section for downloads, uploads, and total. Downloads specifically say 4gb, uploads about 68mb (which is about correct)

Yesterday has the same problem, my router says 7.4gb downloaded, while TekSavvy's meter shows i used 8.5gb

It's weird because some days show that they're correct, but others show that they have a huge variant in bandwidth.

Teksavvy may be 'breaking' days using a different timezone maybe? Or counting a download that was started on a certain day as all on that day, even if it continued into the next day.

I'd send them a support email and ask when the day rollover happens.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, um, Teksavvy Has released a new video for Teksavvy 7

Now, based off that video, I feel like they're going to start hunting down and murdering N64 gamers or something...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bunnyofdoom posted:

Now, based off that video, I feel like they're going to start hunting down and murdering N64 gamers or something...

What the crap does that even mean

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

mediaphage posted:

What the crap does that even mean

I dunno. Apparently they're releasing teksavvy 7, but there are no details about what it is, other than that video.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Clearly they want to bring us back to the halcyon days of dial up and terrible 3D graphics, and discarded aol discs all over.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

bunnyofdoom posted:

we're going back to 56k!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone know what the latest is with Voltage/Teksavvy?

cka
May 3, 2004
Anybody familiar with Bell's FibreOP serivces/program? I saw a few weeks ago they were stringing up fiberoptics around my neighbourhood and I guess it was for this; they're offering 50/30 internet without any caps and the fact that it's Bell alone makes me seriously question the validity of the offer. Today a guy came to the door to sing the praises of the service and is going to stop by again in a couple of days to see if I've got an answer for him (I just let him praddle on about the pros and cons without interjecting much...)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cka posted:

Anybody familiar with Bell's FibreOP serivces/program?

I thought you meant Fibe, which is just FTTN, no matter how much they like to pretend otherwise. FibreOP seems to be FTTH, but the speeds they're offering are a loving joke compared to what fibre can actually do. On the other hand, their plans are far faster than any non-fibre alternatives for the same price. Their 250MB speed bracket does specify a transfer limit, specifically mentioning the lower speed ones don't, so it might not be dishonest... Try looking at dslreports.

Mrent
Sep 5, 2007
Arka
I am on the Telus 50mbps down/10mbps up plan in Edmonton. The plan is actually half decent, and the speeds are as advertised; however, I think Telus requires your building be wired for fibre before you can subscribe to the service. Additionally, the price is also pretty hefty at $75CDN a month. I think I may move back to the 25mbps down/5mbps up package just due to the cost. Happy to answer any questions about the package!

Mrent fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 9, 2013

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I signed up for Start last week. Got a modem in the mail from Bell, and they scheduled two tech visits for last Tuesday (one from Bell, one from a third party). Tech visits go fine, they replace the panel for the phone line and add a POTS splitter, test lines and sync, etc. So after they leave, my speed is 3 megabits. I call Start. So apparently Bell claims I never received a modem from them - even though their technician configured it in my apartment. Apparently since they claim I don't have a modem, they won't provision me to the correct speed (25/10) until their "logistics" department sorts it out.

So that was a few days ago. Start expects it to be fixed around Monday. Good times, glad Bell can still gently caress me when I'm using a third party.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sounds about right, in my experience. I can never decide if they're just incompetent or intentionally loving with us when stuff like that happens.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Had a comparable experience having Distributel cable installed through Videotron's network. Scheduled an installation with Distributel customer service, and had my friend working tech support there verify that there is indeed an appointment in my account. Take the morning off for the installation. Wait the morning, afternoon, evening, no technician. Call Distributel in the evening, they are adamant there's a note confirming the appointment in my account. Then, later that evening, I get an automated call from Videotron confirming my AM appointment... 2 days later.

I'm willing to give Videotron the benefit of the doubt here, because it could've been Distributel dropping the ball and only actually scheduling an appointment after I called to check, but yeah.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrent posted:

I am on the Telus 50mbps down/10mbps up plan in Edmonton. The plan is actually half decent, and the speeds are advertised; however, I think Telus requires your building be wired for fibre before you can subscribe to the service. Additionally, the price is also pretty hefty $75CDN a month. I think I may move back to the 25mbps down/5mbps up package just due to the cost. Happy to answer any questions about the package!

I darn near did that with Telus before I left for Teksavvy, but glad I didn't.

That said, Teksavvy is supposedly offering it as part of their package in my area now too (since Telus does already) but I just don't see the benefit for myself. I can stream HD netflix just fine and pull pretty reliably 3MB/Sec downloads which is fast enough for when I need to bring down some files.

If the price gets down to be at least "close" to my 25mb service, I might do it though.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Jan posted:

Had a comparable experience having Distributel cable installed through Videotron's network. Scheduled an installation with Distributel customer service, and had my friend working tech support there verify that there is indeed an appointment in my account. Take the morning off for the installation. Wait the morning, afternoon, evening, no technician. Call Distributel in the evening, they are adamant there's a note confirming the appointment in my account. Then, later that evening, I get an automated call from Videotron confirming my AM appointment... 2 days later.

I'm willing to give Videotron the benefit of the doubt here, because it could've been Distributel dropping the ball and only actually scheduling an appointment after I called to check, but yeah.

Same thing happened to me, they said (Distributel) the tech appointment was cancelled because I already had a drop. I cancel the same day and fought off the fees. At least I know how to play the system with Videotron in case anything happens.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Migishu posted:

British Metric, it's all in stones.

Devices tend to not be 100% accurate with bandwidth consumption for some reason.

Mrent
Sep 5, 2007
Arka

slidebite posted:

I darn near did that with Telus before I left for Teksavvy, but glad I didn't.

That said, Teksavvy is supposedly offering it as part of their package in my area now too (since Telus does already) but I just don't see the benefit for myself. I can stream HD netflix just fine and pull pretty reliably 3MB/Sec downloads which is fast enough for when I need to bring down some files.

If the price gets down to be at least "close" to my 25mb service, I might do it though.

The reason I decided to go with this plan was purely for the upload speed. I tend to stream a fair bit and the 10mbps upload allowed me to stream in a very high resolution and quality. That being said, is it worth 75 dollars? The simple answer is no, at least not to the individuals who cannot make use of that upload. As for TekSavvy, I have been hearing of them more and more (mostly from friends and family), I will have to take a more in-depth look into them. It would be nice if they offered their services to my postal code.

cka
May 3, 2004

Jan posted:

I thought you meant Fibe, which is just FTTN, no matter how much they like to pretend otherwise. FibreOP seems to be FTTH, but the speeds they're offering are a loving joke compared to what fibre can actually do. On the other hand, their plans are far faster than any non-fibre alternatives for the same price. Their 250MB speed bracket does specify a transfer limit, specifically mentioning the lower speed ones don't, so it might not be dishonest... Try looking at dslreports.

Yeah I did some reading the last few days and it turns out to be the less-evil Bell Aliant and not the usual "slap grandma and kick a puppy" Bell we're used to in Ontario. The best thing I could find regading bandwidth caps is an excessive usage blurb on their ToS page so I'm thinking it is unmetered to a reasonable extent, which is nice*. I'll try them out for a few months and see if they stick me with any bullshit I guess, since that internet speed is mighty tempting (and so are the savings we'd get if we do the tv/internet/phone bundle over what we're paying currently, assuming they don't randomly jack the prices up halfway through the year.)

*I don't use that much bandwidth currently, maybe 150-200gb/month tops, but it's nice to not have to worry about an artificial limit on how much I can use it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrent posted:

The reason I decided to go with this plan was purely for the upload speed. I tend to stream a fair bit and the 10mbps upload allowed me to stream in a very high resolution and quality. That being said, is it worth 75 dollars? The simple answer is no, at least not to the individuals who cannot make use of that upload. As for TekSavvy, I have been hearing of them more and more (mostly from friends and family), I will have to take a more in-depth look into them. It would be nice if they offered their services to my postal code.

Can you explain how higher upload speeds allow you to stream better? I am genuinely was under the impression that's 99% download related.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Can you explain how higher upload speeds allow you to stream better? I am genuinely was under the impression that's 99% download related.

Streaming a broadcast (like twitch.tv, etc.) from your PC to the Internet is upload.

Mrent
Sep 5, 2007
Arka

slidebite posted:

less than three posted:

Streaming a broadcast (like twitch.tv, etc.) from your PC to the Internet is upload.

Pretty much what less than three wrote.

I frequently stream games from my home to my Twitch.TV channel. With my previous internet plan I could stream in a resolution of 1280x720 with a terrible bitrate of 1600. Now I can stream beyond a resolution of 1920×1080 (although I keep it at 1920×1080 to not tax any viewers computer) and a high bitrate (I also suppress this to 4000). If you want to stream in 1080 you need a stable bitrate of ~3400 for the stream to look good. I should also mention that I stream in 60fps as well.

Mrent fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 10, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If you're doing TCP traffic, you're sending acknowledgement packets while you download other packets. If you can't send them, you can't ask for more data.
I believe at my fiancee's parents' place, they have such a lovely upload cap (0.5Mbit), that it prevents them from downloading anything greater than 20 to 25Mbps. Something's up with that, but Rogers hasn't really done anything about it. Also her father hasn't spent any time trying to complain about it. He should be able to do 1 or 2Mbps, I'm sure.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rather depends on their package and if they have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo, TekSavvy's twitter account is literally full of outages for over a week now:
https://twitter.com/teksavvynetwork

One of my coworkers has had a 3 day outage with them. It doesn't seem that they're driven by Rogers or Bell either, it's specific to TSI. They've really changed service-wise in the GTA over the last few years.

On that note I'm finally on Start.ca now. Got a solid 25/10 which is fantastic and I can finally use Crashplan and poo poo. During the transfer my Internet worked on Start then stopped a few hours later; turned out that Bell had wired DSL to a new dry loop for me even though I have a home phone with them. Not sure if Start or Bell hosed that up, but that makes 3 for 3 signups with third parties take over a week of bullshit. Good times :)

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

we're going back to 56k!

Some days on TekSavvy I feel like I am going back to 56k. This is my 25/2 connection after say 8pm:

My landlord's Rogers gets a solid 35/3 during the same time period.

cka posted:

Anybody familiar with Bell's FibreOP serivces/program? I saw a few weeks ago they were stringing up fiberoptics around my neighbourhood and I guess it was for this; they're offering 50/30 internet without any caps and the fact that it's Bell alone makes me seriously question the validity of the offer. Today a guy came to the door to sing the praises of the service and is going to stop by again in a couple of days to see if I've got an answer for him (I just let him praddle on about the pros and cons without interjecting much...)

Are you in a Bell branded area of Bell Aliant? If so, then it's the same service as FibreOP in the Atlantic Region and there FibreOP is actually an amazing service.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

slush posted:

Some days on TekSavvy I feel like I am going back to 56k. This is my 25/2 connection after say 8pm:

Yes your 5Mb/s is totally like a .04Mb/s dial up connection

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I understand that people are frustrated over not getting their advertised speeds, but first world problem complaining about "only" getting 14 Mb/s or whatever is hilarious.

At least the CEO of Teksavvy is being completely honest about the issues on the dslreports forum.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I have a lot of respect for Marc. I know I wouldn't be able to deal with all the idiots posting on there. poo poo like these key quotes.

"You seem to contradict yourself. First you say that you can't fix it and then two sentences later you say that you are working very hard to fix everything. Which is it? Can you please provide some detail as to what steps you are taking to fix everything, if in fact you are working to fix it."

"Been with Teksavvy for 2 months and been through THREE multi-day outages.... Piss poor if you ask me. Not worth the $30 savings to be inconvenienced like this.... Is Teksavvy going to issue credit for downtime? This may seem petty, but considering how many people are affected both personally and professionally it would seem the very LEAST you could do."

Yes. You deserve that credit for a home service with no expectation of uptime! Not like they're paying the $1xxx it would be for a business connection with an SLA.

"I work from home and have had to hotspot as well. The charges are going to be killer.

Every time TS has a problem, they throw up their hands and say that it's not their fault, that it is Bell's or Rogers' issue and that they only re-sell their service. I call BS on that."

gently caress teksavvy's customer base.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
To be fair the second complaint (while probably exaggerated) is legit. Any time I have a multi-day outage I call up and get credit, doesn't matter what company it is. I can deal with some level of service interruption but there is a point where it goes too far and if I don't get credit for that then I just go to a different service.

I know what you mean though, the DSLReports forums have the worlds most rabid and demanding posters I've ever seen. It's somehow worse because companies have to be professional and treat them with kid gloves even when they're being rude little tyrants.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Yes. You deserve that credit for a home service with no expectation of uptime!

Why would there be no expectation of uptime for a service that you're paying for?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Because poo poo happens that is out of their control and you are not paying for a service with guaranteed uptime? If you have a job that you would be losing more money than a business connection is worth when the internet goes down then you should pay for that. Or pay for a second home internet connection through DSL or something. Everyone feels entitled to everything. Boo hoo I signed an agreement that says I'm not owed anything when it goes down, I want a month credit.

Fun fact. A three day outage and you would demand a credit would be $3.87 on their $40 package. So the time you waste on hold, talking to the rep, just to get your $4 credit? Do these people not have any lives or what cause what a loving waste of time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

Because poo poo happens that is out of their control and you are not paying for a service with guaranteed uptime? If you have a job that you would be losing more money than a business connection is worth when the internet goes down then you should pay for that. Or pay for a second home internet connection through DSL or something. Everyone feels entitled to everything. Boo hoo I signed an agreement that says I'm not owed anything when it goes down, I want a month credit.

Fun fact. A three day outage and you would demand a credit would be $3.87 on their $40 package. So the time you waste on hold, talking to the rep, just to get your $4 credit? Do these people not have any lives or what cause what a loving waste of time.

You can use the telephone and do other things at the same time. Cogeco hosed up my internet once for a week and I think it was pretty reasonable to ask for a credit. I didn't get on the phone and get all demanding about it but really if you're paying for a service there is nothing wrong with the expectation that it is provided.

I get that there are a bunch of spergs on DSLReports who dumb about this but you seem to think there is no situation where its appropriate unless you get an SLA and I disagree.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I don't think you are owed any sort of retribution when it says right in the terms of service you agree to that you don't get that.

Do you go to your hydro company for refunds when the power goes out?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Okay, but what would it be for 3 multi-day outages in two months, which is what you quoted? $12 out of $40 isn't nothing, especially for people who might not have steady jobs. As someone who's just finished being a student in a field that encourages freelancing, it seems obvious to me that not everybody has the money to spend getting a business account or a second DSL line.

It's really not unreasonable to have some expectation of reliable service in exchange for the money that you're paying. Sometimes things happen that are out of TekSavvy's hands, fine, but they're the ones who are supposed to be providing a service in exchange for money.

Nitr0 posted:

Do you go to your hydro company for refunds when the power goes out?

If it went out for several days at a time 3 times in two months, you wouldn't be complaining?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sure I would complain. I wouldn't ask for refunds.