Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just use the last fm plugin for discovering stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Telex posted:

If you keep going you get to about 2,000 lovely karaoke albums.

I've found this is generally the case for any search I perform on Spotify.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah the streaming services like to boast their numbers of songs, but a large mass is probably made up of karaoke and sound effect albums.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So how Discover is supposed to work anyways? I've been listening to hundreds of tracks from Iron Maiden and Spotify keeps on recommending trance? :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ihmemies posted:

So how Discover is supposed to work anyways? I've been listening to hundreds of tracks from Iron Maiden and Spotify keeps on recommending trance? :(

They've since fixed it, and I wished I took a screenshot, but Discover used to have a little block telling me "Hey, you listened to 2 CHAINZ. You might like Tity Boi aka 2 CHAINZ"

Captioned with a picture of Lil Wayne.

That's pretty much Discover in a nutshell.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Blast Fantasto posted:

They've since fixed it, and I wished I took a screenshot, but Discover used to have a little block telling me "Hey, you listened to 2 CHAINZ. You might like Tity Boi aka 2 CHAINZ"

Captioned with a picture of Lil Wayne.

That's pretty much Discover in a nutshell.

I just got this from Discover - it's trying hard, you guys. It wants us to be happy, like a mentally handicapped child handing us a piece of poop as a present. Also, Clapton's really let himself go.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 9, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I try not to hit the Discover tab, because I don't want Spotify thinking people are using it. But I wanted to check my own recommendations and found this:

Yes. That makes perfect sense.

You listened to hippy country music and funk. How about some new wave!

loving useless.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I've actually had the discover tab throw some decent suggestions my way. Of course, I only know they're decent suggestions because I already knew and liked what it was suggesting - but spotify didn't have any way to know that.

I guess I don't see what the outrage is all about (not here specifically, but I've seen people furious about this all over the place)? Even if it doesn't work all that well for you, it doesn't seem like it's in the way to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Discover is usually pretty good but it sometimes does hilarious things by recommending you things just because they have similar names but are musically miles apart.

Like the other day it said "Like Joy Division? Try The Division Bell by Pink Floyd!"

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
For what it's worth, Discover is really good at recommending new hardcore and pop-punk music :shobon:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

For what it's worth, my Discover app isn't half-bad. It's been recommending me a lot of Sacred Bones stuff and black metal.

It did, however, just recommend me Polvo because I listened to some harsh noise albums once. Polvo is not a band I'd describe as harsh noise at all. So there's that.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 10, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Discover even recommends local gigs. Satyricon is playing Dec 18th here at Tampere and Spotify dug that info from somewhere.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I've actually had the discover tab throw some decent suggestions my way. Of course, I only know they're decent suggestions because I already knew and liked what it was suggesting - but spotify didn't have any way to know that.

I guess I don't see what the outrage is all about (not here specifically, but I've seen people furious about this all over the place)? Even if it doesn't work all that well for you, it doesn't seem like it's in the way to me.

I think most people are pissed that they replaced the 'New' tab with Discover. Had they pushed Discover alongside the New tab, it would be a much different opinion out there I guarantee.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm not entirely sure why its happening but it would appear that spotify seems to prefer streaming songs rather than playing the local versions. It mostly happens when its on the artists page rather than when its saved into a playlist. I haven't been using it nearly as much either because it eats the battery on my phone and on the computer it eats download limits more than it ever used to

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Friends Are Evil posted:

For what it's worth, my Discover app isn't half-bad. It's been recommending me a lot of Sacred Bones stuff and black metal.

It did, however, just recommend me Polvo because I listened to some harsh noise albums once. Polvo is not a band I'd describe as harsh noise at all. So there's that.
On multiple occasions it has recommended me Beth Ditto based on the fact that I listened to Florrie

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
for those who are missing the "what's new" tab: Tunigo was aquired by Spotify last year and it looks like their app is currently being retooled to replace that function (among other things).

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Where's the best place to start if I'm looking for a few solid playlists for an upcoming work party? Just upbeat background noise for a youngish hip crowd, nothing too offensive or out there.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Cart posted:

Where's the best place to start if I'm looking for a few solid playlists for an upcoming work party? Just upbeat background noise for a youngish hip crowd, nothing too offensive or out there.

http://playlists.net/ has thousands but they're mostly pretty bad. I've found a few alright ones for parties in the past though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Discover tab today:
An ad for Kidz Bop 24, including Thrift Shop and a Spotify-exclusive track.

Thanks, Spotify. That's what your users want.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

fivre posted:

Discover tab today:

Speak for yourself, Kidz Bop is often hilarious to listen to try to figure out how they get around vastly inappropriate lyrics, and how far the censorship goes.

In Gangnam Style (yes, they did that in korean) they say "Hey, hey lady" instead of "Hey Sexy Lady".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

fivre posted:

Discover tab today:

I actually listened to the Kidz Bop version of Thrift Shop on Spotify. They sure do have creative ways to censor it.

Also at the gym I remember seeing some little girls on Ellen singing the song vigorously. Also censored.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I really haven't been paying attention to the evolution of the "What's New" function of the android app and the "Discover" function of the windows program. This is actually pretty sweet, especially the alerts that certain bands will be in the area considering I always seem to find out that someone is here the day after they play.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm huge into music and I've been paying for Spotify for over 2 years. Totally worth it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Did a recent Spotify update disable click-through, i.e. clicking on an element in the application does not perform the action of that element, it only focuses the application?

This is how, if I remember correctly, how all Mac applications work, and technically better from a UX theory standpoint, but very annoying in Windows and Linux, where it's different from the behavior of every other goddamn application, which is a much worse crime.

Namely, my most common interaction with Spotify, double-clicking a track to switch to it, now has the awesome behavior of focusing the app with whatever track I had previously selected still highlighted, and then starting from the beginning of that track. Which, I guess, is actually two bugs, since that second click should count as selecting the track I did click on, not a double click.

Thanks, Spotify.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

fivre posted:

Did a recent Spotify update disable click-through, i.e. clicking on an element in the application does not perform the action of that element, it only focuses the application?

This is how, if I remember correctly, how all Mac applications work, and technically better from a UX theory standpoint, but very annoying in Windows and Linux, where it's different from the behavior of every other goddamn application, which is a much worse crime.

Namely, my most common interaction with Spotify, double-clicking a track to switch to it, now has the awesome behavior of focusing the app with whatever track I had previously selected still highlighted, and then starting from the beginning of that track. Which, I guess, is actually two bugs, since that second click should count as selecting the track I did click on, not a double click.

Thanks, Spotify.

I've had Spotify for two years and I have no clue what you're going on about.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I double click a track, and it plays. I double click another track, and it plays. Life is good.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

What's the cheapest way to listen to synced tracks on the go? I've started running again, but my iPod touch is too old to be supported :argh: and the only supported devices I have are an iPad and a laptop, neither of which is exactly suited to keep me company during a run.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
As if you needed yet another reason for why Spotify tears rear end all around the block:

This album is on it and it's as great as you think it is.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As if you needed yet another reason for why Spotify tears rear end all around the block:

This album is on it and it's as great as you think it is.

It's on Rdio, too. :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

A dumb question probably, but are there any consequences to bringing a playlist back to Online mode from Offline?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

me your dad posted:

A dumb question probably, but are there any consequences to bringing a playlist back to Online mode from Offline?

I only use offline mode for my phone so it doesn't eat my data plan. Other than that I really don't think so unless your internet goes down.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I think that the Spotify app is a bit slow with giving memory space back to the phone. After setting the playlist back to streaming, you might want to run something like PhoneClean to get rid of the cache files.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
On the iPhone the cache that spotify uses never get cleared until it gets overwritten.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I need some more long awesome playlists. Someone post their Starred Tracks?

Here's mine: http://open.spotify.com/user/1242610333/starred

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

http://open.spotify.com/user/appropriatemetaphor/starred

It's mostly stuff that's like vaguely beachy, shoegazey, and girls as singers.

I use it in the car and on the bike as my go to rando list.

Edit: Why does it only show 30? I have like 400 something in the reality.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 4, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

appropriatemetaphor posted:

http://open.spotify.com/user/appropriatemetaphor/starred

It's mostly stuff that's like vaguely beachy, shoegazey, and girls as singers.

I use it in the car and on the bike as my go to rando list.

Edit: Why does it only show 30? I have like 400 something in the reality.

Looks about half stuff I already love and half I've never heard of, thanks.

Also I just noticed several really awesome things on my list have been removed. Spotify! :argh:

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I just got into Spotify Premium and it's great but I don't understand how it's profitable for anyone at the price they're charging me.

There are no radio-like mechanics like Last.fm has where you only get limited skips and can't request a specific song on demand, it's literally just a search engine of almost any song or album I can think of that isn't super obscure, streaming at 320kbps. How can they do that for $12 a month? Somebody's getting the shaft here and it isn't me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the artist is supposedly the one that suffers. I've read reports of them getting back pennies on the pound for thousands and thousands of streams, and I know a small group of artists who have sworn off of it because of the low returns. Four Tet tweets every now and then of his hate for the service. I remember a couple of years ago reading about how Flying Lotus also does not like the service, alongside other streaming systems, like Pandora.

Just a quick google search of 'artists that hate spotify' got me this article. A lot of people don't like it.

But supposedly, not even the business itself is profitable. I have to wonder how long it can last.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are also artists that do like it because it's better than nothing. By that I mean, pennies on the pound is much better than literally nothing, which these days is what a very large number of people are willing to pay for music. Even the biggest fans of bands are always downloading the album leak instead of waiting for the release and buying it.

It makes me feel old and sad. I actually own a lot of what I listen to on Spotify, for me it's just "easier than finding the record/CD" and hey it gives someone, somewhere a little bit more money than I already paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Having nearly anything I could ever want to listen to, pretty much wherever I am? I would happily pay $25/month for what I'm getting out of the service. Don't tell that to Spotify though :ssh:

• Locked thread