Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMan
Jan 19, 2001
Forum Veteran
kbar call you tell me the link and coupon code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

csidle posted:

Does anyone have experience with laptops that only have 128 gigs of SSD space and nothing else? I'm helping my sister pick out a computer for university, and one of the candidates is a Lenovo that has but 128 gigs of SSD.
I have the Adobe Master Collection installed on my computer and that eats up at least half of my memory, and some of the video editing programs occasionally take 30 gigs of temp space if I forget to plug my other hard drive in.

My other hard drive is a 2TB WD Black Desktop Hard Drive which I pop into a toaster, which is a reliable place to store your extra stuff if the 128GB isn't cutting it (I work off this drive, it's reliable.). You don't necessarily need to bring every game with you everywhere, so coming home to an HD like this can help you get passed that. Otherwise, if you're conservative, 128 GB is just fine, and is fine for being on-the-go.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I've been getting by just fine with a small drive on my laptop. When I'm at home all of my stuff is on a plex server on my main desktop and for on the go I stream all my music and if I want videos I keep a season or two of whatever on the laptop. You can also get some really really tiny external drives now (like the size of a deck of cards tiny).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wellll I was pretty vague in my previous post but I hope someone can help me this time; I did a bit more searching, can someone compare this against this?

Also, how decent are Intel HD Graphics? and how are Dell Inspirons as a line?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Toshiba has a 21:9 aspect ratio. And no that's not a typo. 1792 x 768

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Koramei posted:

Wellll I was pretty vague in my previous post but I hope someone can help me this time; I did a bit more searching, can someone compare this against this?

Also, how decent are Intel HD Graphics? and how are Dell Inspirons as a line?

If you're not planning on playing AAA video games at high resolutions, the Intel HD graphics are good enough for everything else (streaming video, flash games, etc). You can do some mid to light gaming on the newest versions of Intel HD graphics cards (>4000) too.

The Dell Inspirons are fine but not fantastic. In your price range you might be able to bag a Latitude notebook from the Dell Business outlet if you're content with a last-gen Intel processor. The advantage there is that all their Latitude laptops in their outlet come with a full 3 year warranty. This is sort of my personal preference, since business grade laptops tend to be better built. There are some 20% off coupons floating around right now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just tested something out on my Haswell XPS 12 that some of you kids might be interested in. It's not a detailed benchmark, but it looks promising.

As a reminder, the resources involved: Intel Core i5-4200 with Intel HD 4400 and 4GB of memory.

Dolphin GC/Wii emulator, Wind Waker title screen
1920x1080 resolution, internal emulation emulation at 2x native (1280x1056)
Steady 30FPS

Awww yeah motherbitchezzz, portable GameCube/Wii machiiiiine~

Honestly, I didn't realize this emulator would run so well on an i5 laptop. I thought the low wattage would at least choke up the FPS a little. But from what I'm seeing, it looks silky smooth. (This emulator is far more CPU intensive than GPU.)

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
How do Lenovo's Ideapads stack up? I was looking at one of the Y410p models listed in that B&N link, namely 59369921. Is this reasonable, or should I go with a proper Thinkpad? How's the build quality on Ideapads? I'll use it for school with some gaming mixed in (Kerbal Space Program at least, who knows what else).

vvvv In what way couldn't you get used to it? Keyboard? Weight?

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 31, 2013

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Airconswitch posted:

How do Lenovo's Ideapads stack up? I was looking at one of the Y410p models listed in that B&N link, namely this one. Is this reasonable, or should I go with a proper Thinkpad? How's the build quality on Ideapads? I'll use it for school with some gaming mixed in (Kerbal Space Program at least, who knows what else).

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I have pretty modest expectations, but I'll happily review it tomorrow night or Thursday for this thread.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Airconswitch posted:

How do Lenovo's Ideapads stack up? I was looking at one of the Y410p models listed in that B&N link, namely this one. Is this reasonable, or should I go with a proper Thinkpad? How's the build quality on Ideapads? I'll use it for school with some gaming mixed in (Kerbal Space Program at least, who knows what else).

I borrowed an IdeaPad (~3 months) and it wasn't exactly something I could get used to.

Also, I'm wondering who paid 10 actual earth dollars for my av. I thank you, whomever; but mind you, those $10 could have gone to .01 of the best computer on the planet, a Macbook Air.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Build quality on ideapads is no better nor worse than most consumer lines of laptops, which is to say not fantastic but not terrible either. The Yoga line is an exception to this, though.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Airconswitch posted:

How do Lenovo's Ideapads stack up? I was looking at one of the Y410p models listed in that B&N link, namely 59369921. Is this reasonable, or should I go with a proper Thinkpad? How's the build quality on Ideapads? I'll use it for school with some gaming mixed in (Kerbal Space Program at least, who knows what else).

vvvv In what way couldn't you get used to it? Keyboard? Weight?

I got one of these back in June. I like it in every way except for the wifi. It's spotty and keeps dropping for a minute or two every 15 to 30 minutes, consistently enough that it's currently on its way back for servicing (I'm hoping they'll replace the old wireless adapter with a more recent one). Judging by online reviews (what few of them there are) I'm not alone in this issue either. Build quality, weight, screen, keyboard, everything else I like, but I honestly can't recommend this laptop after having such bad connection issues.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Switched.on posted:

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I have pretty modest expectations, but I'll happily review it tomorrow night or Thursday for this thread.

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow too, although the tracking number they sent me doesn't work, so who knows?

I've got realistically low expectations about the wireless adaptor and the touch pad, curious to see how the rest of it stacks up.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Revol posted:

I just tested something out on my Haswell XPS 12 that some of you kids might be interested in. It's not a detailed benchmark, but it looks promising.

As a reminder, the resources involved: Intel Core i5-4200 with Intel HD 4400 and 4GB of memory.

Steady 30FPS

Honestly, I didn't realize this emulator would run so well on an i5 laptop. I thought the low wattage would at least choke up the FPS a little. But from what I'm seeing, it looks silky smooth. (This emulator is far more CPU intensive than GPU.)

Are you sure you don't work for Dell? Cos you're nudging me towards a XPS 12.
Sorry for not responding before, but to answer your previous question, I'm looking to play things like Civ 5, XCOM: Enemy Unknown (the new one), Tropico 4 etc. Not FPSs and nothing at full-pelt ultra graphics.

Your review of the XPS 12 was enticing, but I admit I find the form factor and design of the Surface Pro to be more appealing ( I don't even necessarily want the keyboard, I have a Unifying reciever for a logitech keyboard and mouse combo and I'd probably get a dock for the extra ports anyway) so I was wondering what you felt about its weight/bulk when carrying it? How does it compare to a traditional laptop in terms of bulkiness/weight?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
He does work for Dell.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, he does make the XPS 12 sound tempting. It's a pity I've been burned one too many times with Dell, even on the higher end stuff.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can someone link to a reliable site that sells batteries for laptops/netbooks? I'm trying to find a replacement battery for my HP DM1Z, and of course HP doesen't list one on their site :( the part # is XQ504AA#ABB

:google: easily turns up a few sites and ebay listings that are selling one, but I don't know if any of them are reputable. I've bought plenty of random things off of eBay, but a laptop battery is one item where I'd want to make 100% sure I have an official OEM product.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can someone link to a reliable site that sells batteries for laptops/netbooks? I'm trying to find a replacement battery for my HP DM1Z, and of course HP doesen't list one on their site :( the part # is XQ504AA#ABB

:google: easily turns up a few sites and ebay listings that are selling one, but I don't know if any of them are reputable. I've bought plenty of random things off of eBay, but a laptop battery is one item where I'd want to make 100% sure I have an official OEM product.

You can use the HP parts store and hope it's in stock. It will probably cost a bit below $100.

What you have there also is not a part number but a product number. A part number looks like this: 628419-001

I believe, but am not positive, that number is the part number for your battery. It or a similar number should be on the battery somewhere.

e: checking google, ebay, and the part surfer, that 628419-001 is the part number for the 3000 series dm1z

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 31, 2013

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
I have an opportunity to get an HP ProBook 430 i3 (same as the i5 version, but with i3-4010U, couldn't find a good product link) or an HP ProBook 430 i5 for 530 EUR (~700 USD) and 600 EUR (~800 USD) respectively, but first I wanted to know the goon opinion on the ProBook series. As far I understand, the HP consumer line is complete trash, Elitebooks are on par with the more expensive ThinkPads, but where does that leave the ProBooks? Unfortunately, the ThinkPad selection is rather limited here.

My budget is somewhat limited, I'd rather not go over 600 EUR, anything sold in the US would probably cost about 150-200 USD more here. I'm planning to use the laptop for university work, programming and, maybe, for some very light gaming when away from home. If the thing doesn't turn into dust after a year of use, that would be a nice plus as well. Are the ULVs noticeably slower in comparison to the standard laptop processors? Should I spend the extra 70 EUR and get an i5 instead?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weyd posted:

I have an opportunity to get an HP ProBook 430 i3 (same as the i5 version, but with i3-4010U, couldn't find a good product link) or an HP ProBook 430 i5 for 530 EUR (~700 USD) and 600 EUR (~800 USD) respectively, but first I wanted to know the goon opinion on the ProBook series. As far I understand, the HP consumer line is complete trash, Elitebooks are on par with the more expensive ThinkPads, but where does that leave the ProBooks? Unfortunately, the ThinkPad selection is rather limited here.

My budget is somewhat limited, I'd rather not go over 600 EUR, anything sold in the US would probably cost about 150-200 USD more here. I'm planning to use the laptop for university work, programming and, maybe, for some very light gaming when away from home. If the thing doesn't turn into dust after a year of use, that would be a nice plus as well. Are the ULVs noticeably slower in comparison to the standard laptop processors? Should I spend the extra 70 EUR and get an i5 instead?

The CPU will be fine, I'd be worried about the spinning HD before anything. Budget for an SSD upgrade if you can.

I have a ProBook 6565b at work, and it's not a BAD laptop but the keyboard has a numberpad so it's offset to the left which is annoying, and the touchpad is about this close to not even working. Thankfully there's a trackpoint thing on the keyboard. It's also a little thick but it's fine for a budget laptop.

But it has about 0 in common with the ProBook you posted, which is more of an Ultrabook.

Here's a little more info on that model:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6840&News=HP+ProBook+400+Series+Business+Notebook+Reviews

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 31, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

That Toshiba has a 21:9 aspect ratio. And no that's not a typo. 1792 x 768

I still want one of those, even if it was just to use it for 3 days and then rage about it.

Too bad it didn't have 900 vertical pixels or I'd have picked one up by now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

He does work for Dell.

But I do promise that I'm coming at this in good faith. If there is something wrong, I'd be letting you know. I work in tech support. I get nothing in selling Dell computers, especially models like the XPS, which I actually never work on. (I handle the Precision workstation systems.)

What don't I like about the XPS 12?

* It's heavy. Don't mistake its ability to go into a tablet mode meaning that you can use it just like an iPad. The iPad is under a pound. The XPS 12 is about 3.33 pounds. It's a pretty significant difference. I'm okay with it. It's something you have to be willing to sacrifice to get a system that does both laptop and tablet.

Compared to a laptop, the bulk is great. There are lighter laptops, sure, but it's still good. But compared to a tablet, like an iPad or Galaxy? It's a gigantic hulk. Much bigger than a Surface too, although the Surface is a bit on the heavier side for tablets too.

* It has a bug with the Intel Rapid Boot, which is supposed to be a strong feature for a Windows 8 machine. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

* The price is going to be much for a lot of people. I lucked out thanks to working here, and got a bonus $200 off. That makes it a lot easier to swallow. But for everyone else, you might be able to find a comparable system that even has a feature this one doesn't have, like a digitizer.

It boils down to what you want out of your system. The XPS 12 is like... 60% laptop, 40% tablet. The Surface Pro is more 25% laptop, 75% tablet. More portable, much more portable.

My ultimate argument is that, if you're looking for a convertible laptop, the XPS 12 is going to be one of your best options. Especially right at this moment.. is it the only one with Haswell so far? But that said, this is a niche product. There are better laptops, and there are better tablets. The only reason you want this system is if you want both in one device. (And you'd prefer a real keyboard. And you'd give up having a heavier unit for a larger, high resolution screen.)

Xenopax
Sep 27, 2002

Get pregnant using Xenopax® brand bottled semen. Trust no substitutes.
Does anyone have any experience with Lenovo's warranty service on the Ideapad side of things? I have a Y510p shipping tomorrow, however I'm seeing some horror stories about their service and I may cancel it if they are really that bad. I've had bad luck with laptops and warranties when dealing with Sager and I don't want to end up in another warranty circle where my machine never gets repaired.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

havenwaters posted:

You can use the HP parts store and hope it's in stock. It will probably cost a bit below $100.

What you have there also is not a part number but a product number. A part number looks like this: 628419-001

I believe, but am not positive, that number is the part number for your battery. It or a similar number should be on the battery somewhere.

e: checking google, ebay, and the part surfer, that 628419-001 is the part number for the 3000 series dm1z

Thank you, I don't know how I missed that specific site when I was googling around. Looks like they have my battery in stock for $85. Since my battery is currently sitting ~80% efficiency, I figure now is a good time to order a new one before I start up the fall semester and start taking it on campus again.

Thanks! :)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thank you, I don't know how I missed that specific site when I was googling around. Looks like they have my battery in stock for $85. Since my battery is currently sitting ~80% efficiency, I figure now is a good time to order a new one before I start up the fall semester and start taking it on campus again.

Thanks! :)

You're welcome. Make sure your DM1Z is the 3000 series (32xx or 3xxx or whatever) because the 4xxx series uses a different battery from what a minute on ebay showed.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Looking for some advice on my T430 before I pull the trigger. I'm an incoming college freshman (PoliSci major - not hardware intensive) so I decided to go with old reliable.

As configured:
• Intel Core i5-3320M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
• Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English
• 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
• NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory
• 4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader
• 720p HD Camera with Microphone
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• DVD Recordable
• Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
• 9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
• 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• 3YR Depot

$956.97 with the 3 year depot warranty. (B&N pricing)

Now, the parts where I'm a bit confused on:
1. Is the 3320 the most logical CPU option? I didn't really know what to go with here.
2. I decided to go with the 5400M GPU as I plan on having the laptop for all 4 years of college. I didn't think the HD4000 would age very well. Am I correct in this assumption?
3. Is the Ultimate-N worth the extra $ versus the Advanced-N that I went with?

Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless you plan on having it plugged in to a wired ethernet connection most of the time, the Ultimate is most definitely worth it

The HD4000 is fine for regular destkop stuff and most indie games, but the GPU certainly won't hurt for future proofing if you're doing CAD or vidya games

I would get the cheapest i5 unless you need vt-d for some reasons (virtual machines are a mature technology now)

Revol posted:

Steady 30FPS

Crossposting this from the Steam thread

Znae posted:

Thanks to whoever posted this earlier! I'm looking forward to hooking up to a TV and playing games on controllers with friends! :)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
1. The 3210M or 3230M should be fine. There's no real reason to get the 3320M.
2. The HD 4000 should be fine for 4 years unless you want to play video games. In which case the 5400M GPU will get you _some_ extra mileage. The 5400M gpu also lets you get quad-monitor support (three external + internal) with a dock.
3. Yes. As far as reception range goes, the Intel Wireless-N 2230 and Advanced-N are the same, and Ultimate-N is better. It would be better to get Ultimate-N and the 3210M or 3230M cpu (the cheapest i5) than the 3320M cpu, anyway.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'm in need of a new laptop. I've been using my desktop for the last couple years, but I just got a new job on the rigs and I need a decent laptop that will let me play most of my steam library. Currently I'm looking at http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45964. Does anyone have any experience with MSI laptops?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Oh, wait, this was posted like 10 pages ago.

Never mind.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2013

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Has there been any real info on what the new release in the Lenovo T line (ie the T440) will hold in store? I'm trying to determine whether to get the T430 now, or deal with a couple more months of classes without a laptop, like I have for the past year.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Word on the street is October. I wish it was sooner.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's almost as if they want you to give up and buy something else instead.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Almost. I decided to wait to get a Haswell Thinkpad so I would have a sturdy laptop that would last me for several years and that has a great keyboard.
But it is getting old waiting and I hate that I keep getting antsy about it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hadlock posted:

Crossposting this from the Steam thread

Oh dammit, are you kidding me?! I'm doing something just like this, but I didn't think to use Steam Big Picture as a front-end for emulators. I'm creating Windows 8 tiles using OblyTile. I've already made these tiles for NES, SNES, N64, PSX, GEN, SCD, GB, and GBC! I've made over a hundred tiles, maybe two hundred! Dammit!

Oh well, maybe my way works better. Can you do custom icons for the Steam stuff? I can't see the pictures of it at work right now. Plus, who knows if all these emulators would be compatible with Steam...

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

bomblol posted:

Has there been any real info on what the new release in the Lenovo T line (ie the T440) will hold in store? I'm trying to determine whether to get the T430 now, or deal with a couple more months of classes without a laptop, like I have for the past year.

The specs are known for some of the first T440s models. You can look them up on the lenovo support site. It's more or less what you'd expect, 1920x1080 standard, between 6 and 9 cell batteries. The release date is unknown.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So my y410p was supposed to get in today and the tracking number doesn't work, since Lenovo doesn't know where my laptop is they gave me a 75 dollar credit while they look into shipping out my laptop asap. Pretty impressed with the customer service, pleasant on the phone and offered me the credit before I even asked for anything. It's kind of a pain that I won't have my laptop today but not the end of the world.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The biggest difference on the 440 will be ~3 additional hours of battery life on the stock battery, and for the i7 model, s much better integrated graphics capability.

Very likely the 440s will be the laptop to get, being smaller and having a 1080p screen. Not sure if the 440 regular will have a 1080 option, otherwise there's not a whole lot of product differation

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Hadlock posted:

The biggest difference on the 440 will be ~3 additional hours of battery life on the stock battery, and for the i7 model, s much better integrated graphics capability.

Very likely the 440s will be the laptop to get, being smaller and having a 1080p screen. Not sure if the 440 regular will have a 1080 option, otherwise there's not a whole lot of product differation

I'm hoping they're offer a 440s with the 5100 Iris GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Was looking at purchasing a laptop for the new Final Fantasy MMO. Wasn't really hoping to exceed $800 so I've searched around Newegg and found one that caught my eye.

ASUS G46VW:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231001

Zero experience with gaming laptops so I'm not sure if this would suffice.

teknetik fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 1, 2013