Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

HookShot posted:

Hey guys, I've got a question about decompression sickness.

My husband and I have done four dives each before, although we've never been certified, they were just the "intro dive" type things on the Great Barrier Reef. We're thinking of doing some again on our trip to Hawaii, but because of scheduling we'd like to do it at a time that would leave us basically exactly 18 hours before our inter-island flight.

Is it safe to assume that after two basic beginner dives, waiting 18 hours, then taking a one-hour flight to the Big Island our odds of decompression sickness are pretty low, or should we do the dive the day before and wait 36 hours just to be safe?

Thanks for the answers, I don't know much about decompression sickness at all.
It's more than safe to assume this. In my opinion the whole flying after diving thing is way overblown. Now I personally push the limits a bit more than some, but assuming you aren't doing a crazy dive I'd be fine with flying after 6 hours.

Of all the limits that are padded in diving, I think the flying one may be the most egregious.

This DAN/Duke University study seems pretty well done and it concludes that with repetitive no deco diving, 12 hours is plenty: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/projects/fad/index.asp

Bishop fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Got my book signed off so I'm now a BSAC sports diver and I've spent 20 hours underwater :toot:

Going to try book a trip this winter to get some warm water diving with vis that is more then two metres. Hopefully Egypt, tempted by a live aboard but a bit worried about having to spend a week in close proximity with randoms.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Kaddish posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. This is in-line with the research I've done as well. We'll have to decide if this is a decent trade-off for visiting a new island. DR is attractive because it's still pretty cheap. We were thinking about Bonaire but it's too expensive for what we want. We might just end up going back to Cozumel since the diving was so fantastic.

I dove off of Saona near La Romana and it was really nice. I think Saona/Catalina are supposed to have some of the best diving in the DR. Plus they are pretty close to Punta Cana.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bishop posted:

It's more than safe to assume this. In my opinion the whole flying after diving thing is way overblown. Now I personally push the limits a bit more than some, but assuming you aren't doing a crazy dive I'd be fine with flying after 6 hours.

Of all the limits that are padded in diving, I think the flying one may be the most egregious.

This DAN/Duke University study seems pretty well done and it concludes that with repetitive no deco diving, 12 hours is plenty: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/projects/fad/index.asp

Awesome, thanks. They are definitely beginner dives, so yeah, I'm sure we won't go lower than like ten-fifteen meters haha, and definitely not do anything crazy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I dove off of Saona near La Romana and it was really nice. I think Saona/Catalina are supposed to have some of the best diving in the DR. Plus they are pretty close to Punta Cana.

Thanks for the info. Actually we decided to change direction. I'm booking Roatan today. Anyone been to Coco View? Two boat dives per day and unlimited shore diving!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I saw this crab on a night dive off of Santa Cruz Island in Southern California, and I was wondering if someone who dives regularly in the area could identify it:

You should be able to click the image to get a larger version.

I've done a lot of California diving but most of it has been much further north, and I've never seen anything like this guy before. The image isn't color corrected, but I did use a flash. It's legs really are that blue/purple color.

It really looks like a Dungeness, but I've never seen one with purple legs.

edit: cropped the picture

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 2, 2013

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I've done a lot of California diving but most of it has been much further north, and I've never seen anything like this guy before. The image isn't color corrected, but I did use a flash. It's legs really are that blue/purple color.

It really looks like a Dungeness, but I've never seen one with purple legs.

That's a Graceful Crab (Cancer Gracilis).

In other news, nothing ruins a night dive like constantly having your mask leak. But I had a fun time last night nonetheless.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
Been a good summer for lobster diving in New England. I posted this photo on reddit but figured I would share here as well. Between teaching in pool or tech diving, I finally had a chance to do some recreational diving.

Saturday, went shore diving in Rockport and grabbed 7 keepers. On Sunday, I went out on a charter and grabbed 14 keepers (limit per day is 15). Weekend before, I got 13 keepers out in Boston Harbor.

I'm going to be eating lobster rolls for the month. I gave most of them to friends and family.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I asume this is legal in your place?

In the Netherlands you would lose your diving gear if they catch you.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not only is it legal its super jealous inducing :( a large chunk of commercial lobster probably comes from the Chesapeake bay/Massachusetts/Maine.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Orions Lord posted:

I asume this is legal in your place?

In the Netherlands you would lose your diving gear if they catch you.

Yes, definitely legal although not all states in New England allow it. Massachusetts and New Jersey I think are two main states to allow it. New Hampshire and Maine you can't do it. You can get a non-commercial recreational lobster license in Massachusetts for 40USD for the year. It allows you take 15 lobsters per day (not everyone is that lucky).

There are minimum and maximum size restrictions, can't take females with eggs, etc.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I barely ever go lobstering but Florida has a lobster mini season in August that attracts 11 billion people, then a longer lobster season. There are limits on how many you can take, and they have to be a certain size. Most cheap lobstering kits come with a "tickle stick" that you use to coax the poor bastard out of his hole, then a net that you drive them into, and a piece of plastic that is as long as the minimum size so it's easy to measure underwater.

Fish and wildlife still catches people that take like 20x the legal number every year.

Also I guess it's important to point out that most of the reef areas are protected and you cant do any lobstering or any other kind of fishing there.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 8, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I feel compelled to post this... babbys first tech dive:

Less than a year old and already mastered the GUE/Halcyon smug face. This kid is going places.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Oh gently caress yeah, it's almost time to do a thing again. End of the month, we'll be in Hawks's Cay for a couple days, then Key West for a couple days. Anyone have a Key West shop recommendation? The shop we've used before up and moved north. :(

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I had to look at a google map of the dive shops in Key West to figure out where the shop I used was based on its location in the harbor, but after finding pictures I'm pretty sure it is "Seaduction". They have a really nice boat by dive boat standards, I think even hot water showers. Also they ran double dips out to the Vandenberg and were tech friendly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

I had to look at a google map of the dive shops in Key West to figure out where the shop I used was based on its location in the harbor, but after finding pictures I'm pretty sure it is "Seaduction". They have a really nice boat by dive boat standards, I think even hot water showers. Also they ran double dips out to the Vandenberg and were tech friendly.

I did Captain's Corner when I went last year on a double dip on the Vandy. I had a great time, though my dive club dove them this year and had some issues, largely because the boat was at max capacity, whereas it was half full when I dove them.

Went out on Saturday and did a three tank off of West Palm Beach. Saw a few reef sharks, a few turtles and some good sized Cobia which one of the guys was kicking himself for leaving his speargun on the boat that dive. We also caught the early edge of starting to see goliath grouper on our last dive. Those things are just loving cool due to their size alone. I also learned I need to keep a spare battery for my dive computer in my bag. Thankfully my dive computer uses the same battery as my key fob for my car so some quick dismantling of the keys and I was back in order.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Right on, thanks to both of you. I can't wait to get back in the water.

E: if you have any comments on Hawks Cay sites, that's cool too!

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 8, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

jackyl posted:

Right on, thanks to both of you. I can't wait to get back in the water.

E: if you have any comments on Hawks Cay sites, that's cool too!
I've never been diving off Marathon, so all I can do point you towards some scubaboard threads. If IM FROM THE FUTURE is around, I know he makes it further down the Keys more often, but he is mostly a free diver. Also strongly consider doing some diving in Key Largo, I know I'm a bit of a homer but it has by far the most variety of dive sites and shops.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/444782-marathon-florida-keys.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/428468-dive-duck-key-hawks-cay-resort.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/22352-hawks-cay-resort.html

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Just signed up to get my Dry Suit certification, and to check out Dutch Springs in Pennsylvania. Now I'll be able to dive in the DC area for longer than the existing window of "Late June to Mid August"!

Also, piggybacking on the "Any good diving in Dominican Republic" question - It sounds like I'll probably have to travel elsewhere from Punta Cana to be able to do any significantly cool diving. Oh well.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Sup goons, I managed to get my first certification this week end! Cmas equivalent one star diver, or "primo grado ARA" in FIPSAS equivalent.
Done 5 dives so far. The 2nd one was pretty "funny" albeit a bit shocking for our instructors, story follows.

We were in front of San Fruttuoso Abbey, and it was pouring. Being at our second dive, we were all pretty inexperienced, but to further complicate the things, the boat was overcrowded and we all had problems resisting the urge to puke AND managing all the equipment (we found out that actually diving from a small boat is quite more complicated than those test dives in the swimming pool).
Anyway, not one of the students, but 4 out of 10 had problems with the weights. I emptied my jacket but I was still floating, so an instructor gave me an additional couple of kilos; that was enough to lose height and reach the rest of the group at 12 meters depth.

We went on with the dive for a good 30 minutes and I still had 70 ATAs in my cylinder, at that point we reached the Cristo degli Abissi, a submerged statue of Jesus and a popular attraction for divers in the area. At that point, chaos ensued. Wikipedia says that the statue is lying at 16 meters, but that's the base of it: we sprang upwards to touch the hands and simultaneously the 4 of us who were too light became buoyant: one reached the surface, two others were grabbed at the last second, and I tried to hold on to the hand of Jesus to avoid being pulled. Anyway, that didn't work, and I resurfaced again after a good minute of holding to it. What made matters worse, was that my partner was a huge idiot who never looked after me, so after I lost grasp and resurfaced... no one knew where I was. Needless to say, the instructors had a few words with him because after the chaos they started looking for me, and no one looked up for a few minutes, when the head instructor finally found me (remembering the lessons, once I resurfaced I didn't attempt to dive back in).

Anyway, the other 4 dives went smoothly and I can say that diving pretty much owns. I've already tested that receiving a fin kick in the face and losing mask & mouthpiece in one doesn't make me lose my coolness, which is all I really care about, since all the divers I know told me that the thing to fear the most, when diving, is panic.

edit: spelling

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 9, 2013

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Congratulations on your certification! I'm fairly newly certified myself (got that in Kona, luckily) and going diving tomorrow with my Dad, for the first time together in our lives. :)

I have to say though, I did crack up at this line:

Cippalippus posted:

and I tried to hold on to the hand of Jesus to avoid being pulled.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I just put shark week on and according to Les Stroud my death is imminent but he also wears split fins so I'm not sure if I should believe him.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Bishop posted:

I just put shark week on and according to Les Stroud my death is imminent but he also wears split fins so I'm not sure if I should believe him.

Shark week this year has been real ugh. Megaladon, voodoo shark, etc?

Edit: though I do have a man crush on Les Stroud

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Cru Jones posted:

Edit: though I do have a man crush on Les Stroud
Yeah Survivorman was the far superior survivor show to Man vs Wild. He's just feeding people what they want from shark week, which is scary sharks doing scary things. He does throw in the fact that shark conservation is really important etc between doing things like using some crazy underwater fire extinguisher thingy that repels sharks.

I find the popularity of shark week a bit weird. I was getting my hair cut the other day and all the young female stylists there were talking in depth about how much they love shark week when I walked in. Also according to Les I dive in the 5th deadliest waters in the world* :cool:

*which is the entire Caribbean

Bishop fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 9, 2013

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Bishop posted:

This is something I wanted to ask: everyone I know uses split fins, but what's so good about the mono fin? It is however quite popular among free water divers, I noticed.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Cippalippus posted:

This is something I wanted to ask: everyone I know uses split fins, but what's so good about the mono fin? It is however quite popular among free water divers, I noticed.
It was kind of a meta joke about how most diving forums across the internet bash split fins all the time. There is really nothing inherently wrong with them but they don't generate as much power as stiff mono fins. Free diving fins are a whole different category and are much longer than fins SCUBA divers use.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What are the advantages of split fins then? Why do so many people use them?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

What are the advantages of split fins then? Why do so many people use them?

They're really low resistance so people whose legs get tired or have lovely ankles love them. I have Oceanic Vipers which are mono fins, but the middle area is a different more flexible material. They kick easy, but generate more power than a split fin. Also split fins kind of suck for kicks other than a flutter kick.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Just remember that if your fin works for you then go hog wild with it. I think it's an overblown debate. If you think you might be doing photography, overhead, or strong current diving I'd suggest going with a stiffer mono fin because you're going to want more power. Doing non standard kicks like the frog kick or modified flutter kick are also easier. I had a pretty old pair of mono fins that finally broke down on me this year and I ended up getting the dive rite fin, which along with the Jets, is the Tech Approved (TM) fin. I like them a lot but there is no reason why you have to have them. On the other hand, as long as you don't have bad ankle problems or something I also can't see why not. All split fins really do is make each kick easier by moving less water. You can do the same thing your self by not kicking very hard.

A good non-expensive middle ground is probably a flexible mono fin, of which there are a million styles and brands. Spring heels aren't critical most of the time, and you also don't want something really heavy like Jets. Don't blow $100+ on fins unless you've already been sucked far enough into the black hole of diving that $100+ on fins does not seem like a big deal.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 10, 2013

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm already beyond that point.

Isn't it awkward to not be able to move your legs independently? Besides, how do you move on a boat with them?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm already beyond that point.

Isn't it awkward to not be able to move your legs independently? Besides, how do you move on a boat with them?

Erm I think you've got slightly the wrong idea.

Split fin refers to a pair of fins with a split down the middle of each fin
Mono is a pair of standard fins with no split

In free diving yes a mono is a mermaid style one but I've never heard of someone using one for scuba diving.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Oh. Now I see.
In this case, no, I have never seen anyone using split fins. I have however seen a couple of divers using the monofin (the mermaid fin, as you called it).

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I've never seen a mermaid fin in person and now I'm jealous. Were they free divers? I can't think of any reason why a mermaid like fin could possibly be better than normal fins.

You used the term "mono fin" which I just assumed meant "not a split fin", so sorry if that caused confusion. It's just that something like a mermaid fin is so rare that it never even crossed my mind.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 10, 2013

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

They are pretty uncommon here (Italy) too, but I saw a couple of scuba divers using them, not free divers. I have just started diving, but I swim at sea a lot and come to think about it, those two divers are the only ones I've ever seen using the mermaid fins; but maybe I'm just starting to notice things that I wouldn't have noticed before.

My instructors planned another couple of dives for wednesday, I'll take a camera and see if they're still around.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 10, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I saw a mermaid fin when we dove the Denver aquarium. Every 15 or 20 minutes the divers had to go sit in the corner while there was a mermaid show. Getting ready to go play in a golf tournament, but I'll post a few pictures later today.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So its impossible that I only have one mermaid picture. Gonna go ahead and say that Mrs jackyl must have edited this roll before I copied it.

Here's me doing a thing (gear was forced, aquariums require you to use theirs).

What up?

:stare:

And then after we dove the aquarium, we watched Peyton hammerfuck the Steelers in his first game as a Bronco. Moreno ran a TD right after this picture.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 11, 2013

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Hmmmm 7 day liveaboard in maldives for about $3000, including getting there. Should I?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Hells yes you should! Bring books though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXG8CFUZPGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9MC8lnGag8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodeiI_IFRw

All of these were taken by me when I went some two years ago.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Ran a group trip to go shark diving in Maine this weekend. Only blue sharks but it was a very good trip. We had some great weather. I'll post more pictures when I get them. Unfortunately my GoPro flooded so I didnt get any video.