Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
You don't really roast the tires on these cars. The extra oomph would be nice because (the ST anyway) is a REAL dog off the line. Something that ups the torque down low would be really helpful. It's literally my only complaint with the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

roger wilco posted:

You don't really roast the tires on these cars. The extra oomph would be nice because (the ST anyway) is a REAL dog off the line. Something that ups the torque down low would be really helpful. It's literally my only complaint with the car.

How are you launching? The stock ST can hit 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. 5.9 is what I believe Motor Trend got.

Without a tune the optimal launch is probably around 2500 RPM or so, to minimize wheel spin. Then most people are shifting by 5000-5500 RPM.

With a tune, 2000-2250 RPM is optimal for launches, and 5500 RPM for shifting.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
I just sort of feel like it's really boggy before the turbo spools up. I suppose that's expected with a 2.0. I really don't want it to scream off the line though since it's my wife's DD and she has no interest in pushing the envelope speed-wise while grabbing the groceries at the local Kroger.

EDIT: when I was actually going for good launches I was launching at around 2-2300 rpm.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Not a Turbo Veloster, but still a hatch. Just got it yesterday.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

roger wilco posted:

I just sort of feel like it's really boggy before the turbo spools up. I suppose that's expected with a 2.0. I really don't want it to scream off the line though since it's my wife's DD and she has no interest in pushing the envelope speed-wise while grabbing the groceries at the local Kroger.

EDIT: when I was actually going for good launches I was launching at around 2-2300 rpm.

No launch control on the ST?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Nope. I've never really bogged it that hard. Unless the ac was on and I really screwed up

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Two hot hatches I'd love to have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOA5YN6ryz4

But this one's mine, and I think it's swell:

doogle
May 24, 2003

Mine counts, right? 400+ whp '88 Civic. (Dynoed 350ish, but it was doing a burnout on the dyno at the time)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Not stock, but the most popular tunes can add it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
This is still my favorite hot hatch:

Grew up driving a mk 2 Golf Driver, now I get to race a proper GTI.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

doogle posted:

Mine counts, right?

Nope, too fast.

That thing rules.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think 'hot' is probably too nice of a description for that thing. I'm looking for something between "nuclear" and "widowing."

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Just picked up a Black / Charcoal Grey ST3, this thing is a blast :toot: For biggest/cheapest gains, would it be a Cobb AP and Downpipe?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
idk about that Civic - when I think hot hatch I think of a manufacturer-built car, made in reasonable numbers. One offs for the drag strip don't really count.*

*I'm presuming it's for the drag strip because I can't imagine an 88 Civic's front suspension being able to handle even 250 bhp and a corner at the same time.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sepist posted:

Just picked up a Black / Charcoal Grey ST3, this thing is a blast :toot: For biggest/cheapest gains, would it be a Cobb AP and Downpipe?

You need the AP to do anything really. That alone gives some good tuning gains. The downpipe and intercooler are the other bottlenecks.

Get your rear motor mount done under the TSB and warranty. It really firms up everything and gets rid of the 1-2 shift bang. parts are fairly back ordered so get on the list at your dealer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sonic LT with the 1.4L turbo and the 6 speed manual. Should be able to get one decently cheap. I just want a good DD with good mileage, and I love hatchbacks. It's just a little smaller than I'd prefer but I don't think there's anything I like as much for the price. I still have yet to drive one, though. Anybody out there have any feedback?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
when is the Fiesta ST supposed to hit the US? I went down to a Ford dealership last month to feed my unhealthy obsession ask about it and the salesman had never even *heard* of the ST model ...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

triple clutcher posted:

when is the Fiesta ST supposed to hit the US? I went down to a Ford dealership last month to feed my unhealthy obsession ask about it and the salesman had never even *heard* of the ST model ...

There are 61 new listed on cars.com, but none have an actual photo. All dealers are scum, every one, no exceptions. I doubt any of the ones listed have actually landed on the lot. Car dealers in general "don't know" what's coming out because they want you to buy something off their lot right now.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Laranzu posted:

You need the AP to do anything really. That alone gives some good tuning gains. The downpipe and intercooler are the other bottlenecks.

Get your rear motor mount done under the TSB and warranty. It really firms up everything and gets rid of the 1-2 shift bang. parts are fairly back ordered so get on the list at your dealer.

Thanks I'll check out the TSB. I asked the dealer if the TSB's were up to date and the sales guy said yes, I don't think he actually knew though.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 28, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's actually pretty likely that the motor mount TSB is not done yet because FoMoCo is having trouble with parts availability for a few of the parts needed for the service.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm going in for another purpose tomorrow so I will check on parts status at my local dealer. Not sure if mine had the fix pre-delivery or not, so I'll also check on that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sonic LT with the 1.4L turbo and the 6 speed manual. Should be able to get one decently cheap. I just want a good DD with good mileage, and I love hatchbacks. It's just a little smaller than I'd prefer but I don't think there's anything I like as much for the price. I still have yet to drive one, though. Anybody out there have any feedback?

Go drive one and report back, I'd love to hear how it drives. I'm partial to the mazda 2 in that segment but I have a feeling with a turbo the Sonic should be quite a bit more fun.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

triple clutcher posted:

I heard straight for a Ford employee's mouth that there were only 12 in the country as of last month. I never heard a concrete time frame, but the general consensus was "later this year or early next year." They're a bit small for me, but it's still a drat-fun little car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

Go drive one and report back, I'd love to hear how it drives. I'm partial to the mazda 2 in that segment but I have a feeling with a turbo the Sonic should be quite a bit more fun.

Maybe this weekend. It seems there are more aftermarket parts coming out for them, which is probably a bad thing if I end up getting one. I need a car that is reliable and I don't have to gently caress with every other weekend...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm going in for another purpose tomorrow so I will check on parts status at my local dealer. Not sure if mine had the fix pre-delivery or not, so I'll also check on that.

I went in right when service was shutting down so didn't get much answer. First they said that they hadn't heard poo poo, then the TSB only applied if you were actually having issues and I told them I'd keep an eye on it. I don't think I've experienced anything that would warrant a new motor mount.

Not really keen on (that particular) dealership as a service option after that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think I've experienced anything that would warrant a new motor mount.

Make a quick 1-2 shift under moderate acceleration. Your engine will slam all the way back and make a huge bang accompanied by wheel hop. The stock mounts on STs are horrifically flimsy. Its TSB 13-6-10

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for that -- I'm going to send mine to the dealer and have them replace the motor mount. I did a hard shift when I first got the car and had a "what the heck is this mickey mouse crap?" moment when it made that awful noise. I was looking at aftermarket motor mount but if there's already a TSB on it...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Definitely schedule a service, but there are people that put their names down in June for the service that have parts back ordered until September.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Phone posted:

And has a torsion beam rear suspension which completely ruins the handling. If only it had the multi-link rear that's in the Focus and NC Miata. :qq:

But Clarkson thinks it's the best car he's driven in years. :qq:

edit

I'm definitely getting a Focus, or Fiesta, ST at some point after I graduate next year. I need a car that is less than twenty feet long.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 31, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The Focus ST was the first car I ever bought that was both new and my own choice (I always got hand-me-downs that I either never needed or didn't fit to my lifestyle). I was in the market for a hatch because of the people-moving aspect + gear/luggage aspect. I had looked at the MS3, Abarth, ST, and even the Juke. ST just felt fun to drive everywhere and even when I'm being liberal with the gas, got better gas mileage than my truck on the highway.

Living in Illinois though, I cannot fathom why they put the Eagle F1 summer tires on them without an all-season option. I'm saving up to get a new set of all-seasons for the inevitable weather change and saving my Eagles for the summers/autoX, with the idea to get new rims for the summers when the time is right. After that I'm picking up mudflaps and hopefully the TSB that Ford put out for the 1-2, 2-3 engine bang will finish out what I want to do this year to it.

I honestly wanted the Abarth because its a blast to drive, but drat that thing needs a sixth gear. The seating position is a bit weird too, but I do like what they did with the pedals for heel-toe downshifting.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

But Clarkson thinks it's the best car he's driven in years. :qq:

edit

I'm definitely getting a Focus, or Fiesta, ST at some point after I graduate next year. I need a car that is less than twenty feet long.

Consensus across every single review I can find is that the Fiesta ST is the best in the sector right now. In the EVO group test of the 208 GTI, Clio RS, Fiesta ST, Nismo Juke and (the far more expensive) JCW Mini, the Fiesta took the crown. Despite being slowest in a straight line, it lapped their test course fastest of all; while being described as the most fun/playful chassis of the group. I don't think the handling is an issue.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 31, 2013

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My friend with the regular 1.6 Fiesta just put the $250 Ford Racing suspension on the car (new struts and springs) and it is an absolute riot to drive!
And it isn't bad on these terrible AZ roads.

Still has quite a bit of roll, it could use bigger sways probably.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

My friend with the regular 1.6 Fiesta just put the $250 Ford Racing suspension on the car (new struts and springs) and it is an absolute riot to drive!

Here is a tip - our road quality here in Arizona is phenomenal compared to most of the rest of the country. ;)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I was just saying that the Focus' scissor suspension is a magic suspension (that isn't magnetic dampers). I drive a Mazda2, and it's a blast to drive around like I stole it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My buddy who works at the local Ford dealer chain just messaged me, he's got a guy looking for a Speed6, the call of the ST is getting stronger...

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mafoose posted:

Do you happen to have a link to this? It might tide me over until I give in to an ST.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

bobfather posted:

Definitely schedule a service, but there are people that put their names down in June for the service that have parts back ordered until September.

Ugh that's bad I guess but I suppose I can wait a bit on it. It's not like I'm tearing it up with the car. I just have to shift gingerly. Still I may just get the aftermarket jobbie. The more I think about it the more it bothers me and my wife would never notice (she is the safest driver I know and never ever gets on it.)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

Here is a tip - our road quality here in Arizona is phenomenal compared to most of the rest of the country. ;)
Have you been outside of Phoenix? For one Tucson roads are utter poo poo! Especially monsoon season...

xsf421 posted:

Do you happen to have a link to this? It might tide me over until I give in to an ST.
I'm pretty sure he ordered it from the dealership. I'll ask him next time I see him.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

xsf421 posted:

Maybe this is what you are looking for: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12195

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
My new hot hatch, my favorite hot hatch.