Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Malak isn't actually that high level, as pointed out here. Not really surprising, since Tarquin's whole operation was specifically set up so they could get a good life without 'wasting' all their time adventuring. And if I understood the discussion earlier correctly, the vampire template makes it even harder.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

e X posted:

Malak isn't actually that high level, as pointed out here.
Yep. Durkon is actually more powerful than Malak was due to having more Cleric levels than him prior to becoming a vampire. This doesn't even take into consideration any level adjustment he had for being a lizardman/yuan-ti/whateverthefuckhewas.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
A thought:

Staffs with spells in them in D&D have a finite number of charges of that spell. Durkon does not know "Protection from Daylight".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^ Good point. I guess the question is whether he will get the chance to go back to the library for a bit, or if he has to make that staff last.

If I were the DM... well, I probably wouldn't have allowed protection from sunlight in the first place, but if I had, I would now rule that having a magic item that can cast it makes researching the spell again a lot easier.

greatn posted:

You can't make a wondrous item with a particular magic property, or cast permanency on a spell unless the book says you can. So Protection from Daylight, which is not a book spell, would never work as an enchanted ring.

Malack's real boner here is going to the middle of a desert without preparing word of recall. But hell, he probably did prepare it and had to burn the spell to spontaneously cast harm on himself so he didn't get killed by Durkon earlier.
You don't spontaneously cast heal or harm; 5th level cleric spells and above get turned into mass cure/inflict wounds instead, so he'd never burn those until he had spontaneously cast every 4th level and below spell.

So no, he apparently figured that a vampire active in daytime doesn't need word of recall as a staple preparation :shrug:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 31, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Malack was also cocky as hell. He rarely faced anything he felt was a challenge.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Regalingualius posted:

Don't forget assuming Nale would be too stupid to realize what would happen as soon as their mission was done, and even if he did, assuming that Nale would be far too injured to face him in a head-on fight OR Nale would have to contend with Tarquin and his men if he waited to recover.

And apparently never learning how to defend against grappling. (Can you actually learn to? I've never played D&D, so all I know is that grappling is usually far more trouble than it's worth on a meta sense for all parties involved.)

He was able to grapple quite effectively against Durkon, remember?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hubris.
It's a very important theme of the comic and bites almost every single character in the rear end. Why should Malack be an exception?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Eh. Two self casts and a staff that can cast it. I can see why he wouldn't want to waste one of his precious 6th level slots on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my dad posted:

Hubris.
It's a very important theme of the comic and bites almost every single character in the rear end. Why should Malack be an exception?

Also, he would have had to leave Durkon behind to die.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 31, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PFlats posted:

A thought:

Staffs with spells in them in D&D have a finite number of charges of that spell. Durkon does not know "Protection from Daylight".

Do clerics have to learn spells like wizards now? I thought clerics got access to all the spells of their religion's spheres automatically, but I haven't read the rules since 2nd edition.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Angela Christine posted:

Do clerics have to learn spells like wizards now? I thought clerics got access to all the spells of their religion's spheres automatically, but I haven't read the rules since 2nd edition.

Yeah, but Malak said that he created that spell himself, hence his huge magical library, so i doubt it's something all Vampire casters have access too. Unless these sphere work as some kind of clerical wikipedia.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Clerics can research spells just like any other caster. Not sure how the fluff works out, but they still get the spell from their god.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zonekeeper posted:

Clerics can research spells just like any other caster. Not sure how the fluff works out, but they still get the spell from their god.

Hey there, oh Great Mighty One, I have this fantastic idea that might just work...

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

I usually explained it to players that it was similar to coming to philosophical terms with an esoteric aspect of their religion and that expanded mindset and allowed them to be able to channel it through their faith with their god.

Of course, that doesn't make any sense at all in the context of the rules. But, it would make the player happier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

e X posted:

Yeah, but Malak said that he created that spell himself, hence his huge magical library, so i doubt it's something all Vampire casters have access too. Unless these sphere work as some kind of clerical wikipedia.

Well, it wouldn't be a vampire cleric spell, it would be a Nergal cleric spell. A cleric of Thor might not be able to learn it at all.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Well, it wouldn't be a vampire cleric spell, it would be a Nergal cleric spell. A cleric of Thor might not be able to learn it at all.

Durkon probably isn't a cleric of Thor anymore. We had this discussion back when he got turned.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

NihilCredo posted:

You don't spontaneously cast heal or harm; 5th level cleric spells and above get turned into mass cure/inflict wounds instead, so he'd never burn those until he had spontaneously cast every 4th level and below spell.

:eng101: Technically, there's an option in the PHBII for clerics to spontaneously cast domain spells instead of cure/inflict spells if your deity offers that particular domain and you've chosen to take it. One possible domain to spontaneously cast from is the healing domain. Spontaneously casting healing domain spells means you lose the ability to spontaneously cast Mass Cure Moderate Wounds and Mass Cure Serious Wounds in favor of the ability to spontaneously cast Heal, Regenerate, and Mass Heal. This is a fantastic trade if you're taking the Healing domain. Heal is pretty much the best healing spell in the game, and far outstrips the utility of Cure spells when it comes to preparing them for most casters.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

terminal mehmet posted:

I usually explained it to players that it was similar to coming to philosophical terms with an esoteric aspect of their religion and that expanded mindset and allowed them to be able to channel it through their faith with their god.

Of course, that doesn't make any sense at all in the context of the rules. But, it would make the player happier.

I always understood it as that if a wizard researches a spell, he nerdily charts ley lines and interactions between magical auras until he finds a way to make the weave do what he wants it to do. If a cleric researches a spell, he meditates/reads on the nature of his god until he gets enlightenment and understanding of an additional facet of his deity.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

LightWarden posted:

:eng101: Technically, there's an option in the PHBII for clerics to spontaneously cast domain spells instead of cure/inflict spells if your deity offers that particular domain and you've chosen to take it. One possible domain to spontaneously cast from is the healing domain. Spontaneously casting healing domain spells means you lose the ability to spontaneously cast Mass Cure Moderate Wounds and Mass Cure Serious Wounds in favor of the ability to spontaneously cast Heal, Regenerate, and Mass Heal. This is a fantastic trade if you're taking the Healing domain. Heal is pretty much the best healing spell in the game, and far outstrips the utility of Cure spells when it comes to preparing them for most casters.

Or you know, when you're undead, harm is so undeniably useful that you'd take it over word of recall. Does everything have to be complicated by arcane rules and character builds?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

my dad posted:

Hey there, oh Great Mighty One, I have this fantastic idea that might just work...

Well, in OotS that's kinda how it works. But in general, the gods are more or less just recharging the cleric's spell slots with a tiny bit of their own divine power. The cleric chooses what spells that power manifests as. So it's not like they could go "oops, all out of flamestrikes, try again tomorrow."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
All this talk about religion and gods granting their followers spells... I have to wonder if any of the other gods had a system like ThorPrayer in place at any point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

All this talk about religion and gods granting their followers spells... I have to wonder if any of the other gods had a system like ThorPrayer in place at any point.

The secret origin of why Nale really hated Malack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Almost three hundred posts? What could have possibly happened that would -oh.

Oh. :stare:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

terminal mehmet posted:

Durkon probably isn't a cleric of Thor anymore. We had this discussion back when he got turned.

Thor don't give a gently caress. He's drunk. He'll sign off on anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Given what we know, he's probably arguing with some obscure Norse deity about who gets his soul based on the exact circumstances of his death.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Colon V posted:

Given what we know, he's probably arguing with some obscure Norse deity about who gets his soul based on the exact circumstances of his death.

Already covered! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html

Oddly enough, since I think vampirism is a disease, they'd be having the exact same argument.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Don't the sentient undead lose their souls? I thought short of a wish their souls can't be rezzed. Maybe that was a house rule?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
His soul is in the vampire body. An undead must always be destroyed before anything (Wish and True Res included) can bring them back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

His soul is in the vampire body. An undead must always be destroyed before anything (Wish and True Res included) can bring them back.

I assume that's specific to vampires considering Xyklon has made more than one zombie out of a souless body.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I assume that's specific to vampires considering Xyklon has made more than one zombie out of a souless body.

It applies to all undead. You use negative energy to trap their soul in their corpse, thereby animating it. Even an old corpse has it's soul pulled back into the body. It's why creating undead is always an evil act, and why the animate dead spell has the evil descriptor.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Makes me kind of wonder if we'll end up seeing an actually Good necromancer at some point during the next story arc as an(other?) example of someone playing against the role one would think they've been consigned to by the choice in Class they've made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mylan posted:

It applies to all undead. You use negative energy to trap their soul in their corpse, thereby animating it. Even an old corpse has it's soul pulled back into the body. It's why creating undead is always an evil act, and why the animate dead spell has the evil descriptor.

But Xylkon specifically created a zombie from a body whose soul he stole and entrapped in a gem, so he's probably changed that rule from D&D.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mylan posted:

I thought it was evil because it went against the natural order of things. Makes a lot more sense now why Red Cloak was so reluctant to have undead goblins.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

But Xylkon specifically created a zombie from a body whose soul he stole and entrapped in a gem, so he's probably changed that rule from D&D.

That's because it's not a rule from D&D, it's (admittedly reasonable) elaboration based on the rules provided. All the rules say is that making undead is an evil act, and that you can't resurrect someone who was turned into an undead creature unless you destroy the undead creature first. It applies to any undead though, including stuff like naturally-formed ghosts, so it's not just a "the soul is trapped by the animation" thing.

Idran fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 1, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I thought it was evil because it went against the natural order of things. Makes a lot more sense now why Red Cloak was so reluctant to have undead goblins.

But since undead can rise spontaneously (no necromancer involved in any way) wouldn't they be part of the natural order? Something like how diseases and parasites are? :downs:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm really looking forward to when Tarquin learns about this. It'll be a huge personality reveal.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Out of curiosity, could Malack (or any other vampire mage) have just cast Darkness (which is a level 2 cleric spell) to protect himself from the sun's rays? Or would that just have made it difficult for him to see because it specifically still affects creatures with low light or infravision?

Alternatively, could he have cast it on something above him to create some (possibly portable if the object was under his control) shade?

This is assuming of course that he'd actually memorized it, but I mean hypothetically.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pyradox posted:

but I mean hypothetically.

He could have done a billion things to save himself if he saw this particular sequence of events coming. In fact, he had a staff that protected him from sunlight and two copies of a spell that did the same, which is more than adequate 99.999% of time. He did not expect losing all three and didn't bother preparing even more contingency spells. Then he died.

As for why he acted the way he acted in his final moments, he was suddenly betrayed and set on loving fire. We have hours to come up with a good reaction to the situation, while not being set on loving fire. He had a few seconds during which the guy who killed his 'children' was mocking him while standing within his reach. You could even consider this a part of Nale's plan. Why give Malack a chance to come up with a plan to save himself when you can goad him into spending his last moments uselessly trying to attack you?

:moments:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm really looking forward to when Tarquin learns about this. It'll be a huge personality reveal.

"Unfortunate." *brief moment of grief for a fallen friend followed by continuing on like nothing happened*

That's my guess, anyway. It seems to be the kind of character Rich is going with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We should distinguish here that there is a difference between mindless undead, like basic zombies and skeletons, and sentient undead like eights wights, liches, and vampires. In the case of the mindless undead, you aren't really loving with anyone's soul. A measly 3rd level Animate Dead does not have the juice to rip a soul out of heaven (or hell) to move a corpse around. Mindless undead are exactly the way Redcloak describes them: "...nothing but bits of skin and bone and dark energy, glued together in the shape of a man."

Both Xykon and Malack show that he's pretty much wrong about sentient undead, though, and those are the ones whose souls are trapped in their bodies.

EDIT: *sigh*

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2013