Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Yeah Broken Knees don't be a little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Edit: Is Levi really over 30? :psyduck: I had him pegged for around 22 or so. Hanji I figured was definitely older but holy poo poo does his age throw me off.

If I remember correctly, Isayama's answer to being asked Levi's age in an interview went something like: "I haven't really decided yet, but if I had to say right now I think he should be about 28".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Renoistic posted:

I've been watching the anime (up to ep. 15 just after the trial) and I would like to know whether Sasha does anything useful in the manga during this time-period? All she's done in the anime is saving some guy from falling, messing up a kill, and eating a potato. It's not just her, though. A lot of characters have barely had any screen-time, and I'm just wondering if I would gain anything by reading the manga too?

Sadly the anime will likely end before the arc where a lot of the side-characters get some screentime.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Medieval Medic posted:

Hey, Broken Knees, what the heck are you doing in the anime thread? You don't have to call attention to a post about Bert and Ernie. Let the kids have their fun without meddling.
Yeah this is like someone quoting a post saying "I can't wait until Robb Stark kills Joffrey," even if you're not being specific about why it's funny it hints in the opposite direction, so just don't call attention to it

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 29, 2013

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

Sasha pretty much gets a whole chapter dedicated to her later on. The other characters get more screen time, too, and none of it will be covered by the current season of the anime since it's so far off so I say go for it.

That reminds me, if Sasha doesn't show up in next month's chapter it would mean it's been 1 year without seeing her :smith:.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I hope the anime thread doesn't find out that the manga still hasn't visited that damned basement. I think Berserk might get to Elf Island before we find out what's in Eren's Dad's secret lab.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Soulcleaver posted:

I think Berserk might get to Elf Island before we find out what's in Eren's Dad's secret lab.
It depends on whether new Idolm@ster games keep being released.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

have they seriously not reached elf island yet jesus

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Berserk has been really, really slow the last few years. We haven't had a chapter in over 6 months now and last year had less than 10. The latest tank took over a year and a half to fill.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anime watchers continue to be adorable.

Srice posted:

Yeah, after episode 5 I feel it has been in a decline for exactly those reasons. The pacing is outright awful in spots and the show started out with great animation that the animators just couldn't keep up with. It started off so strong and it sucks to see that most episodes now take time out for the show to sit down and spin its wheels for a bit. I'm still watching because there's the occasional good scene, but it feels like they do their damnedest to keep it buried.

Also considering that the current arc is about doing something that is explicitly *not* about going to the basement, and considering how many episodes the last arc took, I don't think we'll be finding out what's down there in the next 9 episodes. Especially with the current pace.

Which makes it all the more annoying that they keep bringing it up, honestly. You know what's more annoying than a JJ Abrams-esque mystery box? A mystery box they talk about all the time but never bother to explore. "What could possibly be in this basement!?" the characters ponder, as they come up with several reasons to not go to the basement.

E: VVVV Then maybe they should have a timeskip or something? It is incredibly dull to watch characters repeat the same points about how the basement is important. We get it, the basement is important and contains vital information. You don't have to remind the viewer about this in every single episode. Ruminating about the ~mystery box~ when there's nothing more to be said doesn't advance the story nor does it develop the cast. It's just annoying.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Are anime that last more than one season really rare or something? Hearing all this piss and moan about the basement not being wrapped up in the span of 25 episodes is utterly mystifying to me.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Elotana posted:

Are anime that last more than one season really rare or something? Hearing all this piss and moan about the basement not being wrapped up in the span of 25 episodes is utterly mystifying to me.

Most anime that I've followed tend to run for either 13 or 26 episodes at a time - aka one or two seasons (Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter seasons, I mean). The only exceptions out of what I've seen are LoGH and the anime of some long-running and very popular weekly Shonen manga - Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.

Some anime get additional seasons later if they're popular, like the various To Aru series, and I'd expect Shingeki no Kyojin to follow suit, but an anime having more than 26 continuous episodes without a break seems to be the exception rather than the norm to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elotana posted:

The general pissing and moaning in that thread mystifies me. People keep talking about this show now like it's become horrible. Is there some incredibly good tv show they're comparing it to that I'm ignorant of? :psyduck: The anime's keeping up with the manga at a good clip, and it still looks really good, so where's the problem?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 31, 2013

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The general pissing and moaning in that thread mystifies me. People keep talking about this show now like it's become horrible. Is there some incredibly good tv show they're comparing it to that I'm ignorant of? :psyduck: The anime's keeping up with the manga at a good clip, and it still looks really good, so where's the problem?

Expectation whiplash.

See everyone complaining when Eren turned out to be alive. Some of the expectations for this show were a little weird.

MadHat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 31, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

They are comparing Episodes 10 onwards (where the pacing and action did slow a little and there was a marked increase in the use of still shots) to Episodes 1 to 9 (which contained the bulk of the dramatic / iconic moments in the series so far, including the first appearance of the Titans, the devouring of Eren's mother, Eren getting swallowed down the gullet of a Titan, the appearance of Rage-Titan, and the revelation that Rage-Titan = Eren).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

JosephWongKS posted:

They are comparing Episodes 10 onwards (where the pacing and action did slow a little and there was a marked increase in the use of still shots) to Episodes 1 to 9 (which contained the bulk of the dramatic / iconic moments in the series so far, including the first appearance of the Titans, the devouring of Eren's mother, Eren getting swallowed down the gullet of a Titan, the appearance of Rage-Titan, and the revelation that Rage-Titan = Eren).

Titan Annie soon, though. And Hammer. :frogin:

I'd say that's up there with anything in Trost.

Flavahbeast posted:

have they seriously not reached elf island yet jesus

They got on that boat in 2007.

I have been waiting for them to arrive for a fifth of my entire life. :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elotana posted:

To be fair they do dangle that mystery in front of you fright from the start and just keep pulling it away.

I read this entire manga in one go. I think it started off really good but I'm not a big fan of this human titan nonsense, but that probably just comes down to my personal preferences. I really want some more answers in the next few chapters ago. I find it kind of exhausting when a series keeps dumping tons and tons of questions on the reader with so few answers. After a certain point it stops being interesting and is just mind numbing.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

MadHat posted:

Expectation whiplash.

See everyone complaining when Eren turned out to be alive. Some of the expectations for this show were a little weird.

I never got this feeling at all when reading the manga. For some reason I naturally assumed Eren would be transforming into a Titan, or at the very least he'd be cut out of the titan. Maybe I've read too much shonen or something. It's also possible the anime pulled it off more convincingly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MadHat posted:

Expectation whiplash.

That thread is going to flip its poo poo when the "secretly a Titan" reveals start turning up. And it's gonna be hilarious to watch. :haw:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the anime thread:

arhra posted:

Speaking of cheap anime goods, anyone buying themselves a tiny Colossal Titan?

My first response to it was "How do I get one of that?", but then I realised that I'd be basically buying a Bertholdt doll.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That thread is going to flip its poo poo when the "secretly a Titan" reveals start turning up. And it's gonna be hilarious to watch. :haw:
I think they're going to twig it much faster. A few are already speculating about Annie because in color her titan is clearly blonde.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wonder how many are going to rage-quit because of it.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I'm just waiting for someone to post a screencap of the titan pilot's eye from the OP, where it is clearly Annie's eye and hair being shown (albeit very briefly.)

Thoren
May 28, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread:

My first response to it was "How do I get one of that?", but then I realised that I'd be basically buying a Bertholdt doll.

Those things are like fifty bucks! What the hell.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adelheid posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to post a screencap of the titan pilot's eye from the OP, where it is clearly Annie's eye and hair being shown (albeit very briefly.)

It's also a matter of conservation of detail - all the cadets except for Annie have joined the Survey Corps, so there must be some significance for Annie's not joining the Survey Corps. And voila, here comes a titan with feminine features who displays intelligence. Every cadet (other than Annie) is out at the expedition, so who could this mysterious new titan possibly be?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Thoren posted:

Otaku consumer culture. They will buy anything for the shows they like at virtually any price. Usually they will buy them multiple times.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Some franchises cut to the chase and give buyers explicit voting power over the "canon": one copy of the thing, one vote. In the case of idol groups, it can mean voting to fire or hire a band member, or making her the new leader

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't forget that most anime that isn't explicitly aimed at selling things to kids tends to air in the infomercial timeslots and is about as reliant on merch sales as one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

It DOES come with a whole playset though, right? Walls, multiple "small" titans, 3DMG soldiers, townspeople, buildings, A chibi-style Colossal Titan head with opening jaw, etc.

I mean, Mighty Muggs are pretty expensive too, and those do way less/are less detailed than Nendoroids. Aren't the normal Muggs 25-30 bucks?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Well, to put it in perspective, you can get some Chogokin figures for about $100 shipped, which are usually pretty big with metal parts and great construction.

Chogokin Franky is only $75 on Amazon!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Elotana posted:

I think they're going to twig it much faster. A few are already speculating about Annie because in color her titan is clearly blonde.
Quick, someone start spreading rumors that the female-type titan is actually Christa.

(Don't actually do this; it is a joke)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soulcleaver posted:

Quick, someone start spreading rumors that the female-type titan is actually Christa.

(Don't actually do this; it is a joke)

Could be Petra - she's also blonde.

Or Armin, who's blonde and actually a girl.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I actually legit thought it was Christa at first when I read the manga. Having her so close at hand after the Titan bolted made me initially suspicious.

It helps that the manga wasn't colored; really after I figured out it was Annie I felt absolutely retarded for having ever considered Christa. :downs:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually legit thought it was Christa at first when I read the manga. Having her so close at hand after the Titan bolted made me initially suspicious.

It helps that the manga wasn't colored; really after I figured out it was Annie I felt absolutely retarded for having ever considered Christa. :downs:

Me too. I even had a whole theory about her suspicious behavior during that mission.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I never pegged Annie as the female titan cause by that point I already forgot she existed v:shobon:v.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I love that you can go back and see that human-Annie instinctively covers the back of her neck when wrestling. Who knows how many other details there are that point towards future events unseen?

What I'm saying is that I can't wait for August's issue to come out because my balls are bluer than smurf poo poo. drat this is a great comic.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
Am I really the only one that thought it was Mikasa when the titan first appeared? I thought she accidentally transformed somehow and then went berserk trying to get revenge on commander bowlcut after he beat the poo poo out of Eren in court. She even seemed unnaturally pissed about that right before everyone left to start the expedition.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kringlorr posted:

Am I really the only one that thought it was Mikasa when the titan first appeared? I thought she accidentally transformed somehow and then went berserk trying to get revenge on commander bowlcut after he beat the poo poo out of Eren in court. She even seemed unnaturally pissed about that right before everyone left to start the expedition.

Not really, but I do suspect that she's a (unaware) titan-shifter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It runs in a shounen rag. The over-under on every surviving named character being one at some future date is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dis astranagant posted:

It runs in a shounen rag. The over-under on every surviving named character being one at some future date is pretty low.

Sasha-Titan's going to be harmless to anyone not made of potatoes.