Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Olive green on the outside, orange on the inside. Seem to be complementary "camping" colors, and I love orange. Doing orange on the outside might be a bit garish though, so I went with the more subdued color that won't show dirt as much.

I've also seen people say they get bright colors so they can use it as an emergency signal but honestly I just like orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It seems like half the time I try on a hiking jacket, its sized for a fat guy's girth.

Is it a thing to market outdoors clothing to people who never go outdoors?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Levitate posted:

Olive green on the outside, orange on the inside. Seem to be complementary "camping" colors, and I love orange. Doing orange on the outside might be a bit garish though, so I went with the more subdued color that won't show dirt as much.

I've also seen people say they get bright colors so they can use it as an emergency signal but honestly I just like orange

Hah, I get you there; mine is orange on the outside and yellow on the inside. Makes me happy every time I take it out!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

It seems like half the time I try on a hiking jacket, its sized for a fat guy's girth.

Try Arcteryx. Or just try a smaller size.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah what brands are you looking at? Certain brands are just cut really wide, like Columbia for example, where as others can be pretty slim.

Also, a lot of outdoor clothing is meant to be slightly bigger than normal to account for layering. That said, some are still like wearing the rainfly of your tent.

Try Marmot or Mountain Hardware, they generally seem to fit a slim guy like myself while still being able to layer comfortably.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Verman posted:

Yeah what brands are you looking at? Certain brands are just cut really wide, like Columbia for example, where as others can be pretty slim.

Also, a lot of outdoor clothing is meant to be slightly bigger than normal to account for layering. That said, some are still like wearing the rainfly of your tent.

Try Marmot or Mountain Hardware, they generally seem to fit a slim guy like myself while still being able to layer comfortably.

yeah, the more premium/technical brands certainly have slimmer people in mind for their fits, the more general purpose outdoors brands just have a very different target consumer.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Agreed. Any Columbia outer layers I own in Medium are comically huge regardless of how many layers I have on, while my Mountain Hardwear is a perfectly snug fit with barely room for layering.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PabloBOOM posted:

Agreed. Any Columbia outer layers I own in Medium are comically huge regardless of how many layers I have on, while my Mountain Hardwear is a perfectly snug fit with barely room for layering.

yup, and Mountain Hardwear is owned by Columbia so that's a perfect example.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hint hint they market to the current american population. Buy dead bird stuff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like my Columbia puffy thing + shell, dangit!

I actually need to figure out what to upgrade next. I got some REI gift cards fit my birthday and I'm at the point where I think I need to be ordering specialty upgrade like a ULA pack, do it's tough Ty figure out what to do. Maybe a fly creek 2 since that's the hot thing these days?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

My friend loves his Fly Creek 2.

I was considering a ULA but I saw the REI Flash 50 or 65L in store this weekend and they seem to be pretty light*, maybe 1 lb more than ULA Catalyst which I'd need to hold a bear can, and full of features, and cheaper (on sale) by half than ULAs. Any opinions?
*Edited cuz i'm dumb.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 31, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ULA's are lighter for the same size or more, and seem to be made of tougher material.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
as someone who's been looking at a Fly Creek 3, it looks like the minimum listed weight on tents doesn't include poles, stakes, or footprint.

My current (old) North Face Talus 23 tent is like 6lb. The idea of getting a larger tent that weighs half as much for backpacking trips is making me giddy.

What's the actual weight I'm looking at though after adding back in the poles, stakes, and footprint?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

47 oz (assuming the footprint is 5 oz as advertised)

I weighed the tent, poles, stakes, and fly, along with their stuff sacks, and got 42 oz which is pretty much spot on with what the manufacturer claims as its packed weight

edit: oh, you said the UL3, sorry. I was talking about the UL2, but I assume that since their weight was accurate with the UL2, it's probably accurate with the UL3 as well and you're looking at 64.5 oz, going by their specs for packaged weight and plus the footprint.

And yes, they're a tight fit. My wife and I can sleep alright in the UL2 but there's not a ton of extra room. I like the tent and there's really nothing wrong with it at all, but I might have tried the Tarptent Double Rainbow if I could do it over again.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If you're thinking of putting three people in the "3-person" Fly Creek, by the way, expect to get very friendly with your tentmates.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you're thinking of putting three people in the "3-person" Fly Creek, by the way, expect to get very friendly with your tentmates.

When I got my passage 2 I was like "Hey this is perfect, just enough room for me and my gear."

I will be sharing it next week with a friend of mine. Its going to get weird.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

nope, hoping for 2 people + medium dog.

I want something I can use for backpacking primarily but also that will fit two of these monsters side by side for car camping:
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad

those pads are 25x72 so I need a tent that has a footprint of at least 50x72. We have lighter pads for backpacking as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

I will be sharing it next week with a friend of mine. Its going to get weird.
If it feels weird you're not high enough.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
God I hate those pads. Rei rented one to a girl on my 3 day AT hike who had never been backpacking before and I ended up having to carry it half the time. So bulky and heavy that it makes my original thermarest from the 90s seem tiny.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 31, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Seriously though, anyone up for gear suggestions? I'll post what I have right now- I was in the boy scouts in the 90s and got a lot of my gear then, and have been slowly upgrading piece by piece since then.

Tent: 1) 1990s 4 man Kelty good for car camping ; 2) Passage 1 for solo stuff (4lbs 3 oz, fits well in my kayak)
Backpack: Gigantic external frame Kelty pack from the 90s, weighs about 4 lbs, 100L expandable to 130L.
Water filters: 1) sweetwater w/ brand new filter, 2) steripen + external sediment prefilter (also good with the sweetwater to prevent clogging)
Sleeping bags: 1) 1990s sierra design 0 degree bag (huge); 2) big agnes 30 degree bag (small)
Mattress pads: 1) 1990s thermarest original 2) big agnes pad (small)
Jacket: columbia glade to glacier ii (bought in '09)
Boots: Vasque leather boots, big & bulky (bought in '09)
Stoves: 1) jetboil 2) gimmicky biolite
misc: big bear can (might downsize to personal one), basic headlamp, swiss army knives, hatchet, two saws, Rain pants, zip off nylon pants, wool t-shirts & long underwear of different weights all bought within the last few years

What else do I really need? If I upgrade packs I'd like to go with the ULA ones, so I'm wondering if I should just sell my year old Passage 1 and get a UL2 for personal use since it'd be smaller and lighter, or maybe by some kickin' rad snowpants instead of using my nonbreathable rain pants.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 1, 2013

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

MMD3 posted:

as someone who's been looking at a Fly Creek 3, it looks like the minimum listed weight on tents doesn't include poles, stakes, or footprint.

What's the actual weight I'm looking at though after adding back in the poles, stakes, and footprint?

The 'fast fly' weight (which is the lowest weight on tents) is the fly, poles, and footprint. If a tent includes poles, they include the poles in all the weights. That being said, the tent, footprint, poles, fly, and stakes should be just about 4lbs as someone else mentioned. You can shave a little extra weight if you don't bring the tent bag.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my Fly Creek Plat 1 to come in the mail after they sent me a Fly Creek UL 1 by mistake. It won't get here in time for the trip I leave on tomorrow, but it will arrive for Yosemite at the end of August.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone use a snugpak bag for hiking?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

God I hate those pads. Rei rented one to a girl on my 3 day AT hike who had never been backpacking before and I ended up having to carry it half the time. So bulky and heavy that it makes my original thermarest from the 90s seem tiny.

oh yeah, we certainly bought them exclusively for car camping... that or like a few of the spots we like to camp at are maybe a 1-2 mile hike in. Anything longer than that though and we'll be carrying our lighter pads, she has a big agnes Q-Core and I have a 3/4 length guidelite Thermarest.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mastershakeman posted:

Seriously though, anyone up for gear suggestions? I'll post what I have right now- I was in the boy scouts in the 90s and got a lot of my gear then, and have been slowly upgrading piece by piece since then.

I'd guess it depends a little on what you're looking to use it for and how much you want to spend. You can spend a ton of money replacing that stuff

quote:

Tent: 1) 1990s 4 man Kelty good for car camping ; 2) Passage 1 for solo stuff (4lbs 3 oz, fits well in my kayak)

I am on a Tarptent envy kick but if you want to drop a lot of weight, the Tarptent Moment is a good lightweight one person tent. Just over 2 lbs, relatively good price for the size/weight/etc. For 4 person, I dunno, if it's for car camping I'd probably just look for the most feature filled and reliable tent I could find

quote:

Backpack: Gigantic external frame Kelty pack from the 90s, weighs about 4 lbs, 100L expandable to 130L.

Jesus christ 100L :stare: I forgot how big external frame packs were.

Again, kind of depends on what you want to use it for and how much you're going to spend on other things. Real lightweight packs are great but usually have a weight limit, so if the rest of your stuff is still heavy, then they won't carry the load all that well. I think the ULA Catalyst can do up to 40 lbs, which is pretty dang good but you'll probably still hit that with a heavy tent, sleeping system, heavy clothes, etc. If you just want a lighter pack that's more comfortable, hitting up any REI and checking out their selection would work...packs can be hard because some brands fits people better than others.

quote:

Sleeping bags: 1) 1990s sierra design 0 degree bag (huge); 2) big agnes 30 degree bag (small)

Good sleeping bags are godawful expensive. To replace a 0 degree bag with one that doesn't weigh a lot, you'll have to shell out northwards of $400 easily. If you don't care about weight, then it can be done cheaper...also make note of where you do most of your camping and how wet it is. If you're in an area that's really wet or for some reason your get might get wet on a regular basis, a synthetic bag might be better since they keep their warmth when wet a lot better than down. If that's not an issue, down is lighter and packs down better. If you're not camping in really cold places, you probably won't need a zero degree either, but a lot of mountain backcountry camping can get pretty cold at night.

If you want to blow a lot of money, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends made some great, warm, lighweight bags. But pricey $$$

quote:

Mattress pads: 1) 1990s thermarest original 2) big agnes pad (small)

The Exped UL7 seems to kind of be a standard of "pretty lightweight and comfortable" for a blowup pad. I'm trying the REI flash which is comparable, though in a mummy shape, and cheaper. Some people can sleep on just closed cell foam pads but I'm kind of a side sleeper so I tried it and wasn't a huge fan. Again, cold camping vs warm camping makes a difference. You'd want something with a higher R value if you're doing winter camping or where it's really cold at night. Your sleeping pad is your biggest insulator from the ground, since all of your sleeping bag insulation is compressed under you when you sleep and can't provide as much warmth.

quote:

Jacket: columbia glade to glacier ii (bought in '09)

I guess it's kind of where I like to go backpacking but I've gotten by a lot without a dedicated jacket. Layers such as long underwear, my regular clothes, a fleece/wool layer, and a wind/rain jacket have served me pretty well

quote:

What else do I really need? If I upgrade packs I'd like to go with the ULA ones, so I'm wondering if I should just sell my year old Passage 1 and get a UL2 for personal use since it'd be smaller and lighter, or maybe by some kickin' rad snowpants instead of using my nonbreathable rain pants.

What about pots and stuff for cooking?

I'm no expert and this is kind of a reflection on stuff I've been spending some time researching since I wanted to upgrade some gear of my own and is oriented towards my preferences.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
My big 4:
Tent: LightHeart Solo, 27oz
Pack: GoLite Jam2, 18oz
Sleeping Bag: MontBell U.L. Super Stretch #3, 23 oz
Pad: Therm-a-rest NeoAir Regular, 13oz

Everything except the tent can be found relatively cheap used. I'd recommend buying used as you can save huge amounts of money. Craigslist, WhiteBlaze, and Backpacking Light are great places to find gear.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Used underwear is often lighter than brand new underwear due to holes from wear and tear. Lighter is always better!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone use a snugpak bag for hiking?

Are you talking about a sleeping bag?

If it is the sleeping bag, then yes, I use form time to time, a Snugpak Travelpak 1

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/1-season/travelpak-1

And it's ok - nothing special, but it packs extremely small (18 x 15cm), and is quite light weight (850 g). So, if you can find it, I would recommend that you get it.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

BeefofAges posted:

Used underwear is often lighter than brand new underwear due to holes from wear and tear. Lighter is always better!

Where did I say that? This is always a contentious issue but I don't think it's too ridiculous to think that someone with a 100L pack could lighten up a bit. I mean seriously, 100L is huge.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

Are you talking about a sleeping bag?

If it is the sleeping bag, then yes, I use form time to time, a Snugpak Travelpak 1

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/1-season/travelpak-1

And it's ok - nothing special, but it packs extremely small (18 x 15cm), and is quite light weight (850 g). So, if you can find it, I would recommend that you get it.

Perfect, I was attracts by the small size.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Anyone know if REI rents bearvaults? I don't know that I'll be backpacking enough in bear can required areas to justify buying one, but I also probably don't really need the extra size and weight of a Garcia that the park service will rent out.
A BV 450 would probably work well but are still $65 or so and I don't know that I'd use it but once every year or two

The Light Eternal posted:

Where did I say that? This is always a contentious issue but I don't think it's too ridiculous to think that someone with a 100L pack could lighten up a bit. I mean seriously, 100L is huge.

I think if you're already in the market for new equipment, getting lighter stuff is a great idea if you can afford it. I can think of exactly two reasons why you would not want lighter equipment...cost (which is always a big reason) and durability, as a lot of ultralight fabrics aren't as durable, so if you're hard on your equipment then it probably won't last as long.

Like I said before, though, lightweight packs can be a bit of a sticking point as you need to make sure they can handle the weight you'll be carrying. Trying to carry 40 lbs in a lightweight pack only rated for 30 or so is probably going to be pretty uncomfortable.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 1, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I would just buy one. It's not like it will ever break. You'll get a lifetime of use out of it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh, I know people here like Arc'teryx, and backcountry.com is having a sale on some of their stuff. Looks like at least 20% off

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Sorry, I wasn't being serious. Didn't mean to make you feel criticized or anything. I think your gear list is great.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

My big 4:
Tent: LightHeart Solo, 27oz
Pack: GoLite Jam2, 18oz
Sleeping Bag: MontBell U.L. Super Stretch #3, 23 oz
Pad: Therm-a-rest NeoAir Regular, 13oz

Everything except the tent can be found relatively cheap used. I'd recommend buying used as you can save huge amounts of money. Craigslist, WhiteBlaze, and Backpacking Light are great places to find gear.

drat I'm jealous of your gear list. If a REI Flash 50 isn't still on clearance for $109 I might go with a GoLite Jam 50 in PURPLE for the same price! You love it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Levitate posted:

Anyone know if REI rents bearvaults? I don't know that I'll be backpacking enough in bear can required areas to justify buying one, but I also probably don't really need the extra size and weight of a Garcia that the park service will rent out.
A BV 450 would probably work well but are still $65 or so and I don't know that I'd use it but once every year or two

Most REI stores do rent bear vaults but it might depend on your area. I usually call ahead to REI or the ranger station of whatever park I'm going to and ask about bear vault rental prior. If I remember correctly, the REI in boulder charged me $12-$16 as a member to rent a bear vault for 4 days.

http://www.rei.com/product/709075/counter-assault-bear-keg is what they rented out to us.

Since I live in the midwest I have no real use for a bear can around here. I fly to most of the places where I hike and backpack so I just rent one between the airport and the trail head.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

pizzadog posted:

drat I'm jealous of your gear list. If a REI Flash 50 isn't still on clearance for $109 I might go with a GoLite Jam 50 in PURPLE for the same price! You love it?

It's a great pack. Mine is from 2009 or so when they added hipbelt pockets so I don't know what they look like now.

Some UL stuff definitely has durability issues (cuben comes to mind), but properly cared for stuff can last a very long time. For example: no need to carry a footprint if you take a few extra minutes to select a nice campsite and clear debris from it.

And yes, it can be expensive. Which is why I highly recommend buying gently used items. For example, the sleeping bag I have is $280 new. I bought it gently used for $150, paid $10 or so to wash it in down soap and ended up with a nicely priced bag. I bought the pack from Sierra Trading Post for $70 on clearance. I got the tent as a graduation gift and the pad as a birthday present but NeoAir pads are pretty easy to find used. UL types can be very picky about gear so they are often a good source to purchase gently used gear from.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

There's also a ton of information out there on how to make your own tents, packs, quilts, etc if you like DIY and you want to save some cash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do any of you use dead bird Beta AR or Alpha SV gloves? I wanna get a pair for skiing and winter biking but I can't decide 8(

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Do you want longer over-the-cuff gauntlets or a shorter style (that could go either way, looks like)? Because that's the main difference. Personally, I prefer over-the-cuff for skiing, since I take them off a lot to play with my phone (I use BD Guide Lobsters).

Edit: I guess the Beta has a thinner lining over the palms? In practice you're unlikely to notice.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

New quilt obtained, can't wait to try it out in 3 weeks or so :dance: