Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Cerulily posted:

Not really looking to get into a debate on the why's here, but....

Why do you care? this is extremely relevant to some of us. It's funny because you disagree? I'm sure it's a fine game to play, and am considering it myself. But, these elements are part of the package that i do consider when buying games.

Care about what exactly? And It's funny because the writer is basically saying "yeah the titties and asses on these girls are comically big, but hey she's got an axe and is killing lizard dudes so it's all cool" but they are saying stuff like "powerful women, with agency and a penchant for..." like they are reviewing a Jane Austen novel or something. I don't know, if you don't see the humor there I can't really explain it, but just trust me it's really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

StevenM posted:

It's because the people writing stuff like this are fond of clickbait articles and they see the hot topic of gender issues in videogames as some gravy train to ride, hard. That's my personal beef, that consumers are willfully letting themselves be taken for a ride even though they should know better - or worse they're fully aware that they're being suckered and they attempt to justify it as being a good thing - "even a broken clock is right twice a day", "even if they're lovely assholes they have a point", "it's what they're fighting for that's the issue here", etc. Whatever the rationalisation, supporting those articles and those writers is a terrible move. A better move would be doing something productive, like making games that promote egalitarianism or first-generation feminism.

Who cares if they're profiting off of talking about sexism in videogames? seriously, you're really angry about people reading articles about a topic they're interested in, because apparently that's "falling" for "clickbait" articles. And how is "even if they've had terrible opinions in the past they're right about this one" excusing being taken for a ride? What sort of article/website/journalist would you be fine with writing about this topic?

Cerulily
Dec 28, 2012

StevenM posted:

etc. Whatever the rationalisation, supporting those articles and those writers is a terrible move. A better move would be doing something productive, like making games that promote egalitarianism or first-generation feminism.

But making games isn't their job... What you're saying is that if someone doesn't like AN ELEMENT of a game, they have no right to talk about it and should instead make a competing product?

this feels like i'm on reddit right now :(

Neurolimal posted:

What sort of article/website/journalist would you be fine with writing about this topic?

One that only agrees with their bias apparently.

Cerulily fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 1, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

And how is "even if they've had terrible opinions in the past they're right about this one" excusing being taken for a ride?

You're excusing manipulative behavior because of the facade of good intentions and the possibility of something productive coming from it. Instead of encouraging actual productive behavior, which isn't "sitting around complaining about character designs" but "encouraging people to make games with a more positive message".

Neurolimal posted:

What sort of article/website/journalist would you be fine with writing about this topic?

One that didn't have a history of creating inflammatory/sensationalist/willfully misinformed articles to generate artificial outrage and traffic. I dunno, it'd be like Fox News or the Daily Mail running an article about sexism in videogames - you're saying that even though they have a proven track record of bait, somehow this one article gets a pass because it conforms to your bias.

Cerulily posted:

But making games isn't their job... What you're saying is that if someone doesn't like AN ELEMENT of a game, they have no right to talk about it and should instead make a competing product?

Whenever someone says "What you're saying is..." the rest of the sentence is almost always guaranteed to be a deliberate misinterpretation of the original statement designed to make the person they're responding to look silly or irrational, e.g. easier to refute. What I'm actually saying is people who support these articles aren't going to get anything out of it other than choir-preaching, and while that's fine in itself it's not actually going to have a positive or meaningful change on the industry, aside from encouraging opportunists to poison the subject of gender studies.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

StevenM posted:

What I'm actually saying is people who support these articles aren't going to get anything out of it other than choir-preaching, and while that's fine in itself it's not actually going to have a positive or meaningful change on the industry, aside from encouraging opportunists to poison the subject of gender studies.

This doesn't even make a lick of sense. What you're saying is that gaming journalism is "abusing" the topic of gender roles in games by criticizing poor representation of women. How do you figure any progress is going to be made if no one points out the problematic aspects of games like this? Who determines how much effect articles like this are going to have, and how?

Someone made a point in another thread recently, in that people on these forums will constantly crow about the issues pervading the yes man nature of games journalism (don't get me wrong, this is a legitimate argument to be made), but the moment a game that they have a vested interest in is criticized in any real way, they'll immediately turn around with phrases like "bias" and now "clickbait".

Do we actually want real criticism to happen from game reviewers, or for them to just celebrate the games we like and not the ones we dislike?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The only thing I can say with any certainty right now is that both sides of this ridiculous argument are preaching their point with their hands over their ears. No one is understanding the other.

The best thing you could all do is go back to talking about this game.

Not clickbaiting by journalists heralding women's hardships.

Not how offensive it is to women that a videogame character has boobs bigger than their head.

Just, everyone, walk away from this. I guarantee you the thread will be better for it.

Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I tried to warn you, OP. I really did.

Now it is happening.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Feenix posted:

The only thing I can say with any certainty right now is that both sides of this ridiculous argument are preaching their point with their hands over their ears. No one is understanding the other.

The best thing you could all do is go back to talking about this game.

Not clickbaiting by journalists heralding women's hardships.

Not how offensive it is to women that a videogame character has boobs bigger than their head.

Just, everyone, walk away from this. I guarantee you the thread will be better for it.

Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

This is the truth, right here. If you like the game, that's great - buy it and play the hell out of it. If you don't like the game, that's OK too - because you don't have to buy it or read any articles about it. But everyone needs to take a step back, respect both sides of the argument, and continue on with their lives.

Honestly, the game looks amazing and from the videos, it plays just as well. I'm just happy that there's finally a more modern beat-em'-up coming out in this age of FPSs and huge, open-world 3D games. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night proved as far back as the PS1 generation that beautifully drawn 2D graphics have a place in gaming even with the advent of 3D, and it's great to see a new game in the current generation deliver on that promise.

I also like the diversity of playstyles. I'm probably going to roll Elf when I get the game just because I like the idea of taking things on at range interspersed with some sweet melee combat (how else are you going to retrieve your arrows, after all?). Plus, those bows look pretty amazing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So how about that Wizard?

He looks cool.

Like a cool guy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bussamove posted:

So how about that Wizard?

He looks cool.

Like a cool guy.

Since people have been saying that no dodge move in the game has invincibility frames by design, apparently the nearest you can get is the Wizard's teleport. Dude is legit.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
How's the Fighter's shield charge? Good, bad, average?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

I also like the diversity of playstyles. I'm probably going to roll Elf when I get the game just because I like the idea of taking things on at range interspersed with some sweet melee combat (how else are you going to retrieve your arrows, after all?). Plus, those bows look pretty amazing.

I'm also going with the elf since she looks really versatile and it looks like she has her own magic attack as well. I just hope the poison stuff is actually useful instead of an absolute waste like in so many games.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
I looked at those cards that dude made, and I'm still wondering how you perform special skills/spells and whatnot? Hold a button to bring up a bank of them or something?

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Since people have been saying that no dodge move in the game has invincibility frames by design, apparently the nearest you can get is the Wizard's teleport. Dude is legit.

I'm pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that the Wizard has limited casts of his spells in every dungeon, is his teleport included in that list of spells, or does it just count as a stock dodge move with unlimited uses?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cerulily posted:

It seems to me that any game in which "characters are given goals to achieve" pretty much defines the term agency.
Agency is purely an assessment on how much interactivity an individual has within a particular construct. It is a social concept that has a long history in a few fields.

The modern agency discussion in games is basically the suspension of disbelief (to be pedantic) that a character has an interactive effect on the narrative, by themselves, as in without player indiction. I say modern here because agency goes back further than that, when designers were just trying to figure how to let the players themselves have more interaction in their games, which is classified as agency as well.

It was a theme BEFORE Tomb Raider's launch because of a really stupid story that was headlined something like "Players will want to protect Lara!", but it didn't come to any fruition in the game (thankfully, because that is indeed an ugly issue). It is a theme in Bioshock Infinite because of the plot twists and its effect on overall agency with both the player, and the characters. It is a theme in Last of Us because of Ellie and how her role in the story is written and one sequence in particular.

As far as I can tell from every video and review I've experienced, Dragon's Crown is pretty much a scripted slug fest where all decisions are simply made by the player and they are all game-play relaed. All long-videos I've watched have purely been 2 lines of dialog to set the setting for a stage (so and so is invading the castle!), some fluff text on describing a particular side quest (bearbutts are hounding us! kill 20 of them!), and some really generic dialog in the castle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sweetgrass posted:

I'm pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that the Wizard has limited casts of his spells in every dungeon, is his teleport included in that list of spells, or does it just count as a stock dodge move with unlimited uses?

I think it's stock since it's his evade button. Most of the limited use spells seem to be classic heavy-hitters like Meteor Shower and whatnot.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

blat blat blat posted:

I looked at those cards that dude made, and I'm still wondering how you perform special skills/spells and whatnot? Hold a button to bring up a bank of them or something?

Spells are item slots. I have dpad set to movement so, analogue left/right toggles through slots and down uses them. You only get a limited number to use per dungeon, so unless you have multiple bags with the same item assigned to switch between levels, once you run out, that's it.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

That's who I'll be playing. Give me some nukes, give me some magic missiles, I'll attack the hell out of that darkness. Plus, less thong chaffing as the wizard.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There is a way to get more casts in a dungeon, but it's not reliable, so I wouldn't count on it.

Also dodge moves do have invincibility, or at least the Amazon's does.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm sensing alot of interest towards the elf, I'm going to be the kicking king y'all you hear me?! :argh:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can any of you currently playing on the PS3 comment on the fps performance during 4-person fights? Watching a couple videos I can't figure out if it's slowdown I'm seeing or just the usual 'weight' of a brawler.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Avynte posted:

Can any of you currently playing on the PS3 comment on the fps performance during 4-person fights? Watching a couple videos I can't figure out if it's slowdown I'm seeing or just the usual 'weight' of a brawler.

Generally there isn't much slowdown unless you have something like 2+ sorcs/wizards spamming big flashy spells like meteor or blizzard.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RoyalScion posted:

Generally there isn't much slowdown unless you have something like 2+ sorcs/wizards spamming big flashy spells like meteor or blizzard.

Cool, thanks. I was concerned after hearing reports of some Vita users experiencing slowdown during heavy encounters.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm sensing alot of interest towards the elf, I'm going to be the kicking king y'all you hear me?! :argh:

Every second player is an Elf, we don't need more. It's even worse when you get the skippy type that dash around constantly like they have worms. Ugh.

I wonder if people are starting to make strategic builds. I guess it's too early for that. I know some dude on 2ch made an Elf skill point calculator though..

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I want to kick, dragons, in the face, and then in the butt.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megalixir posted:

Every second player is an Elf, we don't need more. It's even worse when you get the skippy type that dash around constantly like they have worms. Ugh.

I wonder if people are starting to make strategic builds. I guess it's too early for that. I know some dude on 2ch made an Elf skill point calculator though..

He's right though we really dont need more Elfs. Their damage is terrible unless played very well with specific skills. You pretty much have to respec to get rid of rapid fire

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Lekon posted:

That's who I'll be playing. Give me some nukes, give me some magic missiles, I'll attack the hell out of that darkness. Plus, less thong chaffing as the wizard.

Wait, so the only character with a dodge that makes him invulnerable is also the one who gets to blow things up? The choice just got really easy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mailer posted:

Wait, so the only character with a dodge that makes him invulnerable is also the one who gets to blow things up? The choice just got really easy.

it doesnt, its just faster. Other characters have further or faster recovering dodges

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do the stages scale with respect to # of players, like Diablo style? Or is it just same number of enemies with bigger hp bars?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Mailer posted:

I can't speak for the other characters, but the Sorceress also gets a teleport dodge and the amazon has invincibility frames on dodges as well.

Rascyc posted:

Do the stages scale with respect to # of players, like Diablo style? Or is it just same number of enemies with bigger hp bars?

They definitely get a bit more hp, but I'm not sure about numbers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think it's pretty funny that a game reviewer mentioned features of a game in a review of that game. I mean, if you guys want to let yourselves get taken for a ride with click bait tactics like that, then go for it, it's your money. I just think it's funny.

Here's an interesting blog post about all the references to classic and popular art in the launch trailer. I'm a philistine so I only noticed the Disney ones. A few of them are probably just coincidences, but a lot of them are pretty clear. I thought it was interesting.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Rascyc posted:

Enemies get stronger across the board. Your damage is lower.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fauxtool posted:

He's right though we really dont need more Elfs. Their damage is terrible unless played very well with specific skills. You pretty much have to respec to get rid of rapid fire

Well if nobody likes Fighters then I'll play one. I don't care if it's for babbys, I care that he jumps 20 feet in the air in all of that armor just to cut a bitch or two or ten :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm gonna be Fighter because I want to be a huge armor dude and hit things with swords. This strategy seemed to work out fine for me in Dark Souls, FF14, and it'll probably work here too.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So I made a thing and thought I'd share with ya'll- now all we're missing is a dungeon master divider for maximum D&D-ness. This game can't come soon enough out!

Ready-to-print A5 cards laid out on A4 Pages, get the file here. I'm happy to correct any mistakes as I got the movelists off a translated Japanese image, so there's bound to be somethings a bit off :shobon:

Are the "Air Up Attack" commands really right analog stick up + square? That seems really ridiculous to hit. Seems like it's probably left analog stick?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I'll be a Fighter, because shields are love. But first I need to blow the dust off my PS3.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

nogic posted:

Are the "Air Up Attack" commands really right analog stick up + square? That seems really ridiculous to hit. Seems like it's probably left analog stick?

It is the left analog stick like you surmised. The right analog stick is only for moving the little pointer around to tell Rannie to lockpick stuff and to hit glowy spots for extra points.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

nogic posted:

And there's the first big mistake :downs: Thanks for pointing it out folks, and sorry to the guys who've already downloaded it. I've just done a quick fix for anything regarding the right stick controls.

You can get the new file here (Now complete with a handy line for cutting!). Could we put this in the OP as well?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I want to kick, dragons, in the face, and then in the butt.

I'm going to warn you now, unfortunately kicking does poo poo-all damage on higher difficulties, at least on my Amazon.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
This game appeals to me because I'm a 30 year old grognard who likes big titties on sorceresses in my video game. It's whatever man.

That and I really liked Odin's Sphere, although it was kinda not a game as much as it was something else. I always felt like I was just being involved in some movie or something and not really playing the game. A weird thing to say but it didn't grab me but it was absolutely stunning graphically.

Can't wait to pick this up on the PS 3 and as a previous poster said "kick dragons, in the face, and then in the butt". For whatever reason no one really touched on the loot a lot in the reviews - is it not as involved as they led us to believe?

• Locked thread