Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Naffer posted:

I'm hoping they're offer a 440s with the 5100 Iris GPU.
The 730M would probably be faster anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

The 730M would probably be faster anyway.

Yes but that's a 33W GPU. The Iris 5100 is 28W including both the GPU and CPU, which means it can be lighter and quieter even if the performance is a bit worse.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Naffer posted:

Yes but that's a 33W GPU. The Iris 5100 is 28W including both the GPU and CPU, which means it can be lighter and quieter even if the performance is a bit worse.

The lower TDP is the whole problem, when the CPU is going hard then the GPU doesn't have as much room to clock itself up and vice versa. If Intel does a 35W TDP package of the same part it would probably be significantly faster.

Unfortunately Haswell has been less impressive in reality than on paper so far. Maybe when more SKUs come out we'll see better results.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Iris Pro 5200 in a T440 (non S) would be fantastic.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Weinertron posted:

The lower TDP is the whole problem, when the CPU is going hard then the GPU doesn't have as much room to clock itself up and vice versa. If Intel does a 35W TDP package of the same part it would probably be significantly faster.

Unfortunately Haswell has been less impressive in reality than on paper so far. Maybe when more SKUs come out we'll see better results.

The 5100 GPU in the 28W processors should be in the ballpark of 50% faster than the 5000 GPU in 17W ultraportable Intel processors if Intel's own numbers are to be believed : (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/intels-iris-wants-to-change-how-you-feel-about-integrated-graphics/) Laptops with 28W 5100 GPUs aren't available yet so there aren't any other numbers available yet.

A 15W CPU (~dual core i7) + 33 W GPU is about 50W, which is pretty much dead on what the i7-4750HQ (quad core + Iris 5200 GPU) TDP is. Has anyone seen a comparison benchmark between that 14" Clevo equipped with a i7-4750HQ versus a similar wattage of CPU + Nvidia GPU?

Edit:
This is a translated German article pretty much answering that exact question:
http://translate.google.com.ar/tran...%2F2%2F&act=url">early
They match up a i7-4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200 against an i7-4700HQ with an Nvidia 750M. Theoretically, the latter system should have a TDP nearly twice that of the Iris-pro system, but it both performs substantially better and draws only about 7W more (82 vs 89W).

Naffer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 1, 2013

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Just received a Y410p in the mail yesterday. Ordered it on Thursday, and recieved it 5 days later from North Carolina.
I was looking for something that my son could take to college and game with a little bit (LOL, GW2, etc). Considered MSI GE40, Clevo w230st, etc.

Performance wise, my only other laptop is a 2 year old Acer Timeline with an I3. This thing runs rings around the Acer. I loaded up Boarderlands2, running at 1600x900 with 4x AA, not a hitch. After 30 minutes, it was running pretty hot, so I put it on a laptop cooler, and that helped alot.

Build quality is faily solid. The keyboard feels nice, don't really care about the trackpad (both me and my son are mouse people). Ran it for a couple of hours, and didn't have any Wifi issues, including downloading BL2 from Steam at 1.2mbps avg. As soon as the ebay hard drive ultrabay thing arrives, gonna throw the 1tb drive in that and put a 128gb ssd in it. Probably do a fresh reload of win8 also.

I am happy with the purchase. $885 w/tax and shipping to Washington with the B&N link. $100 for the ssd and I'm still under a grand, which was roughly my budget.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I've been out of the scene when it comes to laptops and such, and my wife is looking to price out a desktop replacement. On the other hand, the desktop it's replacing is about five years old so performance isn't really an issue.

What's most important to her is build quality and thinness. She likes the Macbook Air (obviously) but loathes OS X. I know that we can put Windows on an Air, since a lot of people do just that, but we're wondering if there are other options.

We'd love to be able to spend less than a grand on the thing, but as far as I can tell there just aren't any other manufacturers with the same level of build quality in their thin/ultrabook lines. Dell has a lot of sturdy ones but they're the brick-like business models. Everything Lenovo makes is (to her) ugly as hell or cheap-looking. We're not going Sony because we've had very, very bad experiences with them the past, everything Acer makes seems to be extremely cheap and fragile-looking, etc.

So, um. Help? Are there any thin "Ultrabook"-style brands that are actually well-made? Because none of them seem to be, and since I'm no longer in the business of repairing or supporting PCs I have no good sources of information. If the answer is "buy an Air" then that's probably what we'll do.

(I'd get a T340 or a Latitude something-or-other but this isn't for me.)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Went to go order a yoga today aaaaaand they're no longer on sale. Does anyone have a Canadian equivalent to the B&N link in the OP?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

my wife is looking to price out a desktop replacement. On the other hand, the desktop it's replacing is about five years old so performance isn't really an issue.

What's most important to her is build quality and thinness. She likes the Macbook Air (obviously) If the answer is "buy an Air" then that's probably what we'll do.

Refurb macbook air, i5 $810 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Air-11-6-Laptop-MC969LL-A-1-60GHz-Core-i5-64GB-4GB-OS-10-7-Lion-/190787462120#vi-content

edit: that is seller refurbished (read: used) but you get the general gist

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 2, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Went to go order a yoga today aaaaaand they're no longer on sale. Does anyone have a Canadian equivalent to the B&N link in the OP?

I did a quick search for "lenovo barnes and noble canada", and found this link on the NotebookReview thread that popped up.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Meydey posted:

Just received a Y410p in the mail yesterday. Ordered it on Thursday, and recieved it 5 days later from North Carolina.
I was looking for something that my son could take to college and game with a little bit (LOL, GW2, etc). Considered MSI GE40, Clevo w230st, etc.

Performance wise, my only other laptop is a 2 year old Acer Timeline with an I3. This thing runs rings around the Acer. I loaded up Boarderlands2, running at 1600x900 with 4x AA, not a hitch. After 30 minutes, it was running pretty hot, so I put it on a laptop cooler, and that helped alot.

Build quality is faily solid. The keyboard feels nice, don't really care about the trackpad (both me and my son are mouse people). Ran it for a couple of hours, and didn't have any Wifi issues, including downloading BL2 from Steam at 1.2mbps avg. As soon as the ebay hard drive ultrabay thing arrives, gonna throw the 1tb drive in that and put a 128gb ssd in it. Probably do a fresh reload of win8 also.

I am happy with the purchase. $885 w/tax and shipping to Washington with the B&N link. $100 for the ssd and I'm still under a grand, which was roughly my budget.

Couple things to add after having mine for a couple of days:

-The trackpad is poo poo, but I use a mouse. Just a heads up for people who will use it, though.
-Even after calibration, the screen seems a little washed out.

I've been playing a bunch of Planetside 2, Max Payne 3, and WoW so far. It seems to run great, and I haven't seen my GPU temps go above 73c yet. It's running the FFXIV benchmark very well, which is one of the games I intend to play a lot on it. Build quality isn't anything to write home about, but I don't think it feels cheap at all. All in all, I'm not disappointed for what I paid. I was mostly worried about the heat, but that seems well within my acceptable boundaries.

Thinker
Oct 6, 2003
Your chidren have touched me in so many ways and I know I touched them all as well!

Heresiarch posted:

What's most important to her is build quality and thinness. She likes the Macbook Air (obviously) but loathes OS X. I know that we can put Windows on an Air, since a lot of people do just that, but we're wondering if there are other options.

We'd love to be able to spend less than a grand on the thing, but as far as I can tell there just aren't any other manufacturers with the same level of build quality in their thin/ultrabook lines.

So, um. Help? Are there any thin "Ultrabook"-style brands that are actually well-made? Because none of them seem to be, and since I'm no longer in the business of repairing or supporting PCs I have no good sources of information. If the answer is "buy an Air" then that's probably what we'll do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131458

($899) Samsung Series 9 is basically a mac air knockoff. Except it's thinner (0.2 inch) and lighter (0.5 pound). It also has higher resolution. It doesn't "feel" cheap, it feels very solid, and well built, same as Air. But I can't speak for the actual reliability of the product.

I'm actually in the process of getting an ultrabook myself, but for me, it's between the Thinkpad X1 carbon ($980) and the Air. It seems like the Thinkpad is a superior product in every way, other than aesthetics.

Xenopax
Sep 27, 2002

Get pregnant using Xenopax® brand bottled semen. Trust no substitutes.
The y510p is a really good deal right now with their doorbuster plus B&N.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I did a quick search for "lenovo barnes and noble canada", and found this link on the NotebookReview thread that popped up.

Thanks, but I don't have a code for that?

Edit: clicking from the thread directly got me in without a code, that's pretty good! Thanks!
Edit 2: It asks for a code at checkout :(

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 2, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Thanks, but I don't have a code for that?

That's weird. Just look for it on the forum page I mentioned: http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/668683-best-place-buy-lenovo-t430-canadian-customers.html

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
A couple of things about the y410p I found while doing some research that may also affect some peoples choice in purchasing it:

They haven't been very consistent in announcing when the ultra-bay addons will be released for this laptop. As it stands, your only options at the moment for upgrading are as follows:

1: Buy a $10 HDD caddy from eBay that mostly fits, and put the existing HDD in there. The outside panel may not fit perfectly snug with the rest of your laptop, but it will work. You can then put an MSATA SSD into the slot the Main HDD was in.

2: Buy a very expensive and, at this point in time, rare M.2 NGFF SSD for the second drive. The second slot doesn't support MSATA, it's only this M.2 slot with drives that aren't available for consumers yet. Supposed to be quite fast when they are, though.

3: While an SLI 750m ultra-bay was initially something they used as a selling point, they haven't announced any official release date for this yet. Honestly, I doubt it would even do anything before you would get thermal throttling, anyways.

4: I believe there is planned to be a ultra-bay fan upgrade as well, in the future.

Some people are reporting serious connectivity issues with the Intel wireless card that comes with the machine. Lenovo has a hardware white-list in place in the bios that prevents you from swapping it out for any other cards. People made a hacked bios for the previous version of this laptop that removed the white list, but no such thing exists yet for this laptop. Someone on NBR is claiming you can simply disable secure boot in the bios to install other wireless cards, but no one has actually confirmed this.

FWIW I have had zero issues with my wireless at all.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
So school is about to start back and I find I need a laptop. Using the B&N site I can configure a Thinkpad T530 for $768. Does anyone have any experience with the T530? Also, how hard is it to add RAM and swap the HDD for a solid state? Using that site I would have enough money leftover to buy myself a SSD and some more Ram and install it myself. If I buy it with an SSD and upgraded Ram from the factory it will blow my budget out of the water. My budget is ~$900. If anyone can suggest anything better, I would seriously appreciate it.

My main uses for this will be school and a light gaming (LoL, EVE and the like. No BF3 or Crysis that's what the desktop is for)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
My laptop died this morning. I was going to hold out for the i5 Haswells to hit the ultrabook scene, but instead decided to pull the trigger on the Lenovo Ideapad y410p.

It's not as sleek as I would have liked my next notebook, but I can't argue for the amount of power it's packing at the price point. I don't usually game much on my laptops, but I think I'm going to start doing it more just because I can now. It'll be fun going to a buddy's place to play co-op games rather than just chatting on mumble like we usually do. My Steam library just keeps growing and growing.

All in all I'm fairly excited.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Switched.on posted:

A couple of things about the y410p I found while doing some research that may also affect some peoples choice in purchasing it:

They haven't been very consistent in announcing when the ultra-bay addons will be released for this laptop. As it stands, your only options at the moment for upgrading are as follows:

1: Buy a $10 HDD caddy from eBay that mostly fits, and put the existing HDD in there. The outside panel may not fit perfectly snug with the rest of your laptop, but it will work. You can then put an MSATA SSD into the slot the Main HDD was in.

FYI, this is the caddy that I got on ebay for $12:http://www.ebay.com/itm/290886047810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Fits perfectly. I just need to figure out how to swap the panel now.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JRay88 posted:

So school is about to start back and I find I need a laptop. Using the B&N site I can configure a Thinkpad T530 for $768.

I have experience with a W520. I don't recommend a 15.6" laptop, at least not a heavy one like the T530, for school. Ones I'd consider positively are the 15" Vaio S, the Retina MBP, and uh... the Panasonic CF-B11.

At $768, I presume you're configuring a 1600x900 screen. Or worse, a 1366x768 screen. Why not just get a T430 instead, with the same screen resolution? (It should be the 1600x900 screen.)

Why not get a T430s, which is even lighter, and about that price you cite? (Maybe because the battery life is a bit small there.)

JRay88 posted:

Also, how hard is it to add RAM and swap the HDD for a solid state?

Adding RAM is easy. Swapping the HDD is physically easy, it has the difficulty of moving the OS over. Which isn't difficult per se so much as a hassle.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
After an incident a few days ago where I spilt a glass of wine over my laptop, I can't decide whether to repair or replace it. I have a Dell XPS M1710 which was cutting edge back in 2006 and was still decent until its run in with the wine. It now doesn't start up at all (the power light comes on when the mains/battery are plugged in, as does the num lock LED, and I can hear the hard drive clicking, buts that's all) so the motherboard and possibly the video card are shot.

So Im umming and ahhing over whether to look for a second hand/spare parts M1710 to fix it up with, or buy a new laptop as the 1710 is now getting a bit long in the tooth. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money as I haven't used it much since getting an ipad, but the ability to do the very occasional bit of light autocad work on it would be useful.

So can anyone help me make my mind up?

htabz
Jan 15, 2004
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have kind of a weird set of needs, and my current mid range desktop meets them all. I'm leaving the country soon though and will be unable to lug my desktop over.

My current desktop is -
i5 3570k
32g ram
hd6770

I've never had even a remote performance relate issue with the above, and it's probably a little overkill for what I do.

What I need -
A somewhat comparable processor (least important)
8g, prefer 16g RAM.
Ability to drive 2 monitors, at least one 30 inch.
Able to use my pre-existing SSD

I don't care about portability, battery life, screen sweetness or really much of anything else. It's just going to sit on my desk 95% of the time. Should my Visa go through and electronics aren't through the roof expensive, I would buy another $700 desktop any day over the laptop. The RAM and SSD is where the bulk of the heavy lifting comes in for my work (postgres/sql)

Budget, 600-1000. I really just need something with an OK processor I can plunk 16g of ram and my SSD into.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shrughes posted:

I have experience with a W520. I don't recommend a 15.6" laptop, at least not a heavy one like the T530, for school. Ones I'd consider positively are the 15" Vaio S, the Retina MBP, and uh... the Panasonic CF-B11.

At $768, I presume you're configuring a 1600x900 screen. Or worse, a 1366x768 screen. Why not just get a T430 instead, with the same screen resolution? (It should be the 1600x900 screen.)

Why not get a T430s, which is even lighter, and about that price you cite? (Maybe because the battery life is a bit small there.)

Adding RAM is easy. Swapping the HDD is physically easy, it has the difficulty of moving the OS over. Which isn't difficult per se so much as a hassle.

Because the T430 screen is god-awful.

Use Macrium Reflect to move your data to the new SSD

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
My y410p came in yesterday too, due to a mixup with tracking number labels with UPS they might accidentally be sending me another one too, so that's...strange.

Some things to note so far using it.

-Wireless- Honestly seems fine, I can only assume it's one of those things where it'll work great with certain routers and mine happens to be one that it gets along with, was running without a hiccup at around 2.8MB/s downloading from steam/blizzard for around 4 hours last night without a hiccup.

-Heat- Only noticeable during graphics intensive gaming, non existent during normal browsing/music/video.

-Touchpad- Sucks but not as much as I was lead to believe, also I use a mouse almost all the time so whatever.

-Build quality- Seems fine for the price point, very little flex, sturdier than the last two Latitudes I had through work, the 900p screen seems decent but I'm used to dogshit Latitude screens so my point of reference is all hosed up.

Oh and if you're ~*~Canadian~*~ beware, because they only ship with loving obnoxious bilingual keyboards and it doesn't seem optional, tiny shift keys are loving infuriating and I honestly thought about just sending it back because of the keyboard.

All in all I'm happy with the laptop itself, we'll see how it holds up and what ultrabay options come out for it, ideally I'd like to swap out the HDD with an SSD and have the HDD as storage in the ultrabay.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Just ordered my Yoga, I called in and the guy who answered said that since it wasn't on sale anymore and since he couldn't give me the sale price he would give me the lenovo employee discount instead :toot:
I'll post a trip report when it gets here

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 2, 2013

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

DoesNotCompute posted:

My y410p came in yesterday too, due to a mixup with tracking number labels with UPS they might accidentally be sending me another one too, so that's...strange.

Some things to note so far using it.

-Wireless- Honestly seems fine, I can only assume it's one of those things where it'll work great with certain routers and mine happens to be one that it gets along with, was running without a hiccup at around 2.8MB/s downloading from steam/blizzard for around 4 hours last night without a hiccup.

-Heat- Only noticeable during graphics intensive gaming, non existent during normal browsing/music/video.

-Touchpad- Sucks but not as much as I was lead to believe, also I use a mouse almost all the time so whatever.

-Build quality- Seems fine for the price point, very little flex, sturdier than the last two Latitudes I had through work, the 900p screen seems decent but I'm used to dogshit Latitude screens so my point of reference is all hosed up.

Oh and if you're ~*~Canadian~*~ beware, because they only ship with loving obnoxious bilingual keyboards and it doesn't seem optional, tiny shift keys are loving infuriating and I honestly thought about just sending it back because of the keyboard.

All in all I'm happy with the laptop itself, we'll see how it holds up and what ultrabay options come out for it, ideally I'd like to swap out the HDD with an SSD and have the HDD as storage in the ultrabay.

I'm planning on doing the same, but if the y400p ultrabays are any indication, the upgrade for an additional hard drive is $180 on Lenovo's web site.

I don't know if they include their own hard drive with that price, but I'd still rather buy my own SSD.

Go with what this guy posted:

Meydey posted:

FYI, this is the caddy that I got on ebay for $12:http://www.ebay.com/itm/290886047810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I already bought one of those hard drive caddies for my Dell that died yesterday, so I'm gonna see if it fits in my y410p before I buy that one, but save yourself $170 and go with that, and you can get it right away.

Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx
How well would an HP Envy 15-3040NR work for web browsing/light gaming (DotA 2 primarily)? I can get one for about $550, half the price it sells for on Amazon.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HA I found you, you sneaky sneaky Samsung Stupid Plus bastard. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP915S3G-K01US-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Mineral/dp/B00DVFMDUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1375465126&sr=1-1 but Duck and Cover that's the lite scroll down and what do you see the plus! While it does not seem to have it's own listing on Amazon you can apparently pre order it.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Meydey posted:

Found a video on youtube how to remove the bezel from the cd caddy of a y410p without destroying it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kKVwymFlQD0
I mounted the bezel to the replacement hd caddy and it fits perfectly. The screw holes weren't quite perfectly lined up on the back mount thing, but a little filing with a 1/16th drill bit did the job nicely.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Switched.on posted:

Couple things to add after having mine for a couple of days:

-The trackpad is poo poo, but I use a mouse. Just a heads up for people who will use it, though.
-Even after calibration, the screen seems a little washed out.

I've been playing a bunch of Planetside 2, Max Payne 3, and WoW so far. It seems to run great, and I haven't seen my GPU temps go above 73c yet. It's running the FFXIV benchmark very well, which is one of the games I intend to play a lot on it. Build quality isn't anything to write home about, but I don't think it feels cheap at all. All in all, I'm not disappointed for what I paid. I was mostly worried about the heat, but that seems well within my acceptable boundaries.

What's the battery life like under light load? The reviews I've seen either bitch about how they can't threebox Skyrim clients for more than half an hour, or crow about how long the battery lasts if you disconnect the monitor and spin down the hard drive :sigh:. Obviously if there's no outlet nearby I'll just watch a movie or plonk around on Nethack or ZSNES, but if I can plug the thing in it would be nice to play recent titles at more than two seconds per frame.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Xenopax posted:

The y510p is a really good deal right now with their doorbuster plus B&N.

I was gonna try and finance this using "Bill Me Later," but Lenovo apparently doesn't offer it anymore :confused:

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
My sister would like to get a laptop; her only requirements are that she can play games like The Night of the Rabbit and other adventure games. What confuses me when I look at laptops are that they have what seems to be really low CPU speeds, like 1.8gz with core i3/i5, which is lower than the required specs for these games. There must be something that I'm missing here. Help?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rianlee posted:

My sister would like to get a laptop; her only requirements are that she can play games like The Night of the Rabbit and other adventure games. What confuses me when I look at laptops are that they have what seems to be really low CPU speeds, like 1.8gz with core i3/i5, which is lower than the required specs for these games. There must be something that I'm missing here. Help?

Generally those chips will 'turbo up' when they need the extra power. So a 1.8GHz chip might 'turbo up' to 2.6GHz or something like that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CPUs do so much per cycle there's not really any point in ramping them up to infinity. Most things that are actually multi-threaded don't need that much horsepower, and multi-threaded apps take advantage of the 2-8 logical cores provided in modern processors. A haswell core is only about 30% more powerful than a Core 2 Duo core, but there's four times as many.

The gigahertz wars died in 2005, here's an obituary from 2010:

http://www.crn.com/news/channel-programs/223100257/off-the-clock-are-the-ghz-wars-over.htm

edit: and yeah an i5 will happily OC itself to 2.6 ghz... it's just that surfing reddit, facebook and pintrest with Pandora playing in the background leave the CPU 95% idle even underclocked to 1.1 ghz. The fan on my i5 x230 (which doesn't have a lot of room for air to move around) rarely turns on unless it's sitting on top of a blanket with all of the air vents blocked.

Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx

Elephant posted:

How well would an HP Envy 15-3040NR work for web browsing/light gaming (DotA 2 primarily)? I can get one for about $550, half the price it sells for on Amazon.

Or would a Toshiba Satellite L55-A5299 be better? For reference here's the specs for both:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-15-3040NR-Laptop-Black-Silver/dp/B006PCDJI2
http://www.amazon.com/Satellite-L55-A5299-i7-4700MQ-Windows-Computer/dp/B00DUFXT64

The Toshiba seems to have a much better processor, and doesn't have the color problems the HP's screen seems to be plagued with.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HP has a 1080p screen
Toshiba isn't an HP, but has a 1366x768 screen

It's a draw

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Just ordered my Yoga, I called in and the guy who answered said that since it wasn't on sale anymore and since he couldn't give me the sale price he would give me the lenovo employee discount instead :toot:
I'll post a trip report when it gets here
I'm seriously considering getting a Yoga, so post your experiences when you get it.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I've been going through the Mythlogic process since July 23rd, based on my best guess my Chaso 1313 (clevo W230ST) should be shipping end of next week or beginning of the week after, super pumped considering I am currently laptopless.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was hoping to wait out Haswell for a Thinkpad but I am leaving the country in two weeks for over a month and would really like a laptop for that trip.

It would be nice if it could power some games, as my future is likely a lot of rig/sea work on ships and platforms. So if can power better games then my q6600 geforce 8800 that would be nice.

I take it I should roll the Thinkpad T530 with upgraded processor, upgraded screen, and upgraded wireless? Is the i7 worth 250 bux over the i5s?

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Goodpancakes posted:

I take it I should roll the Thinkpad T530 with upgraded processor, upgraded screen, and upgraded wireless? Is the i7 worth 250 bux over the i5s?
Unless you have some very specific requirement that you know would benefit from the i7's, no, there's no reason to spend that much. For general use and gaming purposes, the cheapest i5 is sufficient.