Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From the sounds of things the Hatena servers were hammered during the JP launch

Loading thumbnails is hilariously slow but the same is true of the eShop so I assumed it was just typical Nintendo on-line quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What's that 10-in-1 Arcade Collection?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

From the Nintendo UK Twitter: "We regret to announce that Flipnote Studio 3D will be delayed in Europe, as we try to provide the best possible service. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to announce a new Flipnote Studio 3D launch date as soon as possible."

Nintendo, I used to hate you before the SNES and during the Gamecube/Wii days. I thought we were good friends now.
I thought we were all over this abuse. Stop trying that hard to get back in my black notebook. Please :negative:

^^Check the post before the press release. From the sounds of things the Hatena servers were hammered during the JP launch, so they've delayed the international release so they can prepare for the increase in traffic.

Seriously though I forgot that Flipnote Studio 3D was published last week in Japan. Probably they saw those numbers. Anyway, I think japan does not count, in Japan just everyone and their dog draw awesome stuff. I thought it was earlier.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there really no Club Nintendo surveys for the new Streetpass games? Seems odd. I bought them a few weeks ago.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do they ever do surveys for DLC?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Minidust posted:

Are there really no Club Nintendo surveys for the new Streetpass games? Seems odd. I bought them a few weeks ago.

That bunny took your coins as commission.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

homeless snail posted:

Do they ever do surveys for DLC?

Kind of. It was pretty general for FE, and it didn't give coins. Not that it matters to me, I just want to see Nintendo to be less afraid to release content in less traditional ways.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

So it seems people build up quite a collection of virtual coins by registering the codes that come with retail copies of games. How does it compare with the used games market? Are there any real advantages to buying games new? Does nintendo ever offer big sales to provide incentives to people buying digitally?

Other than the convenience factor I'm not sure why you'd bother with the nintendo e-store purchases.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
A lot of times I get lucky and the used games I purchase still have unredeemed Club Nintendo pins. Otherwise, just apply all the same reasons for wanting to buy new versus used that anybody else would (support developers versus save money or whatever people do to rationalize one or the other).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
One year I went to a Blockbuster that was shutting down and asked for the Club Nintendo pins codes, they didn't care... now I have a backlog of codes to enter every year and wait until July 1st

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Astro7x posted:

One year I went to a Blockbuster that was shutting down and asked for the Club Nintendo pins codes, they didn't care... now I have a backlog of codes to enter every year and wait until July 1st

The only unfortunate thing is that old Wii and DS codes aren't worth as many points as newer ones, and probably will slowly drop further over time. I learned that the hard way this year. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U dudes, NOA has the Art Academy Miiverse app ("Art Academy: Sketchpad") listed on their website with an August 7 release date, which suggests a simultaneous worldwide launch. No proce listed... maybe it's free?

irlZaphod posted:

What's that 10-in-1 Arcade Collection?

Shovelware. It's not a real arcade compilation.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Wii U dudes, NOA has the Art Academy Miiverse app ("Art Academy: Sketchpad") listed on their website with an August 7 release date, which suggests a simultaneous worldwide launch. No proce listed... maybe it's free?

I think the plan was a free app for Miiverse posting with a full version coming down the road with lessons etc.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Shovelware. It's not a real arcade compilation.

Let me guess, Chess, Checkers, Solitare, that kind of poo poo?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega Japan has updated their website with more 3D Shinobi III details (click) - the feature set is pretty much the same as the other Mega Drive remakes (save states, region/hardware settings, fake-CRT mode, stereoscopy settings, etc); they've also added a stage select and a new alternate control scheme that lets you map several of the actions to separate buttons.

It'll be out next week in Japan for 600 yen. The rest of the world will get it... eventually? "Soon"?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Game Gear emulator looks really nice. More features than the Nintendo systems one.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

irlZaphod posted:

The Game Gear emulator looks really nice. More features than the Nintendo systems one.

I love how you can even emulate the broken screen every actual Game Gear has nowadays.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some footage of Game Freak's new solitaire/horse racing game in acrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-0U9Z2T0w

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

So I'm thinking of picking up Rhythm Core Alpha 2 since I like dicking around with sequencers. Is there any reason to buy the first instead of the second, aside from the price difference? Any features removed or anything?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure the new one supersedes the old one completely but I can't tell you from first-hand experience because it isn't out here. I didn't even know it was coming until it was already out, the dev didn't bother to tell anyone it was even a thing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Here's some footage of Game Freak's new solitaire/horse racing game in acrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-0U9Z2T0w

This video makes the game look way more interesting than when I first heard about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 1):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Turbo: Super Stunt Squad - €44.99
    Funky Barn (permanent price reduction) - €14.99 / £14.99
WII U eSHOP
    Cloudberry Kingdom - €9.99 / £7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon (SNES) €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Buy any three Panorama View tours, get the fourth free! - ends August 8
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until August 15
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Turbo: Super Stunt Squad - €39.99
3DS eSHOP
    10-in-1: Arcade Collection - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Art Academy (3DS) - 50% off all DLC lessons until August 11
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.74 until August 15
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until August 15
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.40 until August 15
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €9.79 / £8.39 until August 15
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15

NA update (week of August 1):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pikmin 3 (August 8) - $59.99
    Disney Planes (August 6) - $?
WII U eSHOP
    Cloudberry Kingdom - $9.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Disney Planes (August 6) - $?
3DS eSHOP
    Bike Rider DX - $5.99
    My Farm 3D - $7.99
    Family Kart 3D - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy) - $3.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - $1.49 until August 8

(The international release of Flipnote 3D was temporarily delayed due to unanticipated server strain caused by the JP launch, for those who weren't aware.)

PAL-land dudes, NOE previously said you wouldn't be eligible for the W101 discount if you bought a Pikmin 3 download code from GAME rather than buying directly from the eShop, but they've since changed their mind and are honouring the deal for anyone who bought a GAME code, even if you downloaded the game before the beginning of the promo.

Bike Rider DX is a Japanese Trials-style game, I remember people saying it was pretty okay.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also every review I've seen of Cloudberry Kingdom says its frustrating and badly designed.

Still, Harvest Moon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

njsykora posted:

Also every review I've seen of Cloudberry Kingdom says its frustrating and badly designed.

Still, Harvest Moon.

I think it being frustrating and badly designed is their while gimmick and they wear it as badge of honor. It's like a game designed by people who watched an I Wanna Be The Guy let's play and thought "OOH I can totally top this!"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So the only thing of interest this week is a VC game that's released a year and a half later from its Japanese and European versions.

I'm still going to buy it because KDL2 is a personal favorite, but I'm gonna leave the biggest loving trickle rant in the post-play survey. There's no loving reason this took so long other than incompetence or laziness.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

njsykora posted:

Still, Harvest Moon.

I played the story mode for a few hours and reached something like level 230. The problem with the later levels (Like 180+) is that there's way too much going on at once. There is a flow to the obstacles and they're generally positioned so that if you keep moving you'll basically dodge everything. These types of levels aren't much fun because if you get the timing even a little bit off, you'll die. It feels like there's kind of a trial and error element as you try to figure out the right timing and it's all just made worse by the fact that the platforming physics are kinda stiff and awkward.

There's also an arcade mode where you play through progressively more difficult randomly generated levels and there's a points multiplier for completing levels without dying. I didn't play this for very long but it seems more fun than the story mode. I do like the idea behind the game but it's a shame they couldn't execute it a little better. They should probably go look at Super Meat Boy or something and figure out what makes a good difficult platformer.

I think it's a decent game but you should probably skip it if you're not into platformers

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Breath of Fire II coming to Wii U VC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm5ZAkJTlM

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is anyone else holding off on buying VC games until after the 4th? (when club nintendo changes which games can be bought with rewards points)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spacebump posted:

Is anyone else holding off on buying VC games until after the 4th? (when club nintendo changes which games can be bought with rewards points)

I am. Not sure why, cause they usually cycle the same stuff every three or four months, but just in case...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently Castlevania: Mirror of Fate is $29.99 on the NA eShop right now, can anyone confirm/deny?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Apparently Castlevania: Mirror of Fate is $29.99 on the NA eShop right now, can anyone confirm/deny?

Confirmed.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Spacebump posted:

Yes, it makes sense if it's just a short wait. No point paying when you can get it for free.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Is Castlevania's price drop permanent or just a sale? Because I checked out a physical copy from my library and I'm really enjoying it, so I might buy it sometime later. Or sooner, if the price goes back up.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 2, 2013

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

This makes me excited! I loved BoF 2 and 3! I'm glad they're releasing good things right off the bat for the Wii U

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Hope this and Secret of Mana/Final Fantasy VI get here soon. I know the later two just shown up over in Japan recently, so barring another Kirby Dreamland 2 long hiatus, it shouldnt take too long for Square to put those out. I just want some more RPGs to play.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kurtofan posted:

That's kinda weird. Are they skipping the first game?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

That's kinda weird. Are they skipping the first game?

I think the reason why Breath of Fire 1 isn't coming (it was skipped over on the Wii as well) is because in the US it got published by Square back on the SNES.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

I think the reason why Breath of Fire 1 isn't coming (it was skipped over on the Wii as well) is because in the US it got published by Square back on the SNES.

Publisher issues are confusing as hell it seems. I figure Capcom would be able to release it no problem since they own the rights to the game. I recall several other games with different publishers getting released on Wii VC and 3DS VC by their IP holders despite having different publishers back in the day. Off the top of my head, there was:

- Faxanadu (published originally by Nintendo in the US, published by Nihon Falcom on the Wii VC)
- Ghouls 'n Ghosts (published/co-developed originally by Sega, published by Capcom on the Wii VC)
- Shantae (published originally by Capcom, published by WayForward on the 3DS VC)

Then again, there's weird stuff like NISA deciding not to release La Pucelle on the PSP because apparently Mastiff holds the publishing rights in the US for that game? (it sure wasn't because it was a PSP game; they ended up bringing over Black Rock Shooter instead much later)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only Breath of Fire game I've played is Dragon Quarter, is BoF2 worth getting excited for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think them skipping BOF1 has anything to do with Square, they skipped over it in Japan, too. I'm sure it's down to some boring technical/logistical thing they don't want to fix.